: How Often Do You Hit Your Governor?

TexasAggie
07-04-12, 10:35 PM
I am just wondering how often us escalade drivers hit the governor if even.

mbdubb2361
07-04-12, 11:59 PM
Haven't so far but I'm also not trying to get 4miles to the gallon either.

MrHolland
07-05-12, 12:14 AM
If I could get him alone in the same room,,,,,,,,LOL

07maralade
07-05-12, 01:29 AM
Never, my escalade doesn't seem safe at 103 mph, which is the highest I've had it. The front end started getting squirrely and there was a vibration in the steering either through a crappy tire balance or through the t-case and diffs.

I've hit the 118 mph limiter on a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan and it was still smooth as glass.

TexasAggie
07-05-12, 02:24 AM
I hit it like 1 or 2 times a week. At top speed its not that bad it was smooth. And if you have a escalade you should not worry about mpg for for a mile or two.

MrHolland
07-05-12, 06:22 AM
I hit it like 1 or 2 times a week. At top speed its not that bad it was smooth. And if you have a escalade you should not worry about mpg for for a mile or two.
So for conversation sake, lets say you still have some factory power-train warranty remaining, and you hurt your car somehow. In fact, you are diving sensibly around town and something lets go. (engine, transmission, rear-end, whatever) Do you expect Cadillac to do the repairs under warranty?? Not that we all haven't taken our cars out to "see what they'll do," but once every 3.5 days seems a bit excessive, especially if you plan to file a warranty claim if it lays down. JMHO..

TexasAggie
07-05-12, 01:36 PM
So for conversation sake, lets say you still have some factory power-train warranty remaining, and you hurt your car somehow. In fact, you are diving sensibly around town and something lets go. (engine, transmission, rear-end, whatever) Do you expect Cadillac to do the repairs under warranty?? Not that we all haven't taken our cars out to "see what they'll do," but once every 3.5 days seems a bit excessive, especially if you plan to file a warranty claim if it lays down. JMHO..
why would that not be covered in warranty? it is not bad for the car i bet the engine and transmission are under more stress from 0-20 than 80-100

lee88
07-05-12, 04:17 PM

Who said anything about warranty!? Jeez... I bet if it was a corvette you wouldn't have made the comment.

krieghoff
07-05-12, 05:24 PM
And why would you need to do that!?

ELUSIVE
07-05-12, 09:33 PM
Never.
Sorry, this is the last car on earth that I'd want to go fast in.

TexasAggie
07-05-12, 09:36 PM
Never.
Sorry, this is the last car on earth that I'd want to go fast in.
Why?

RVC
07-05-12, 10:49 PM
Never have and never will.

quattrotman
07-06-12, 03:45 AM

I don't get what you are trying to say? One should not drive their escalade that hard because if it broke doing so and you brought it in for warranty it would somehow be ripping off GM or dishonest? Are you for real? So what you are suggesting is that the Esccalade really isn't good enough to be driving it that fast. So what about an Escalade owner in Germany who legally can drive that fast? Just saying.
Not that I have ever hit the govenor but I damn sure would expect Cadillac to fix my car if it's under warranty. Especially if I'm taking it to the govenor that they set (the thing can go faster). It's not like it's being raced. If it can't handle it and something breaks, they should fix it. Escalades are damn expensive for what they are, they better back it up with the warranty...no matter how you drive it.
BTW...I would never take mine that high. Its scary to take it over 100...damn thing is too floaty.

MrHolland
07-06-12, 04:47 AM
I don't get what you are trying to say? 1---One should not drive their escalade that hard because if it broke doing so and you brought it in for warranty it would somehow be ripping off GM or dishonest? Are you for real? 2---So what you are suggesting is that the Esccalade really isn't good enough to be driving it that fast. 3---So what about an Escalade owner in Germany who legally can drive that fast? Just saying.
4---Not that I have ever hit the governor but I damn sure would expect Cadillac to fix my car if it's under warranty. 5---Especially if I'm taking it to the govenor that they set (the thing can go faster). It's not like it's being raced. 6---If it can't handle it and something breaks, they should fix it. 7---Escalades are damn expensive for what they are, they better back it up with the warranty...no matter how you drive it.
BTW...I would never take mine that high. Its scary to take it over 100...damn thing is too floaty.
Ok, Let me break it down for you and anyone else not understanding my post!!! Ill go line by line.

1.No I never said anything about "ripping off" GM. An auto manufacturer simply needs "a reason" to reject a warranty claim. Pushing your luxury SUV to its factory set limits regularly could be construed as abuse and grounds for rejecting a claim.

2.I am not suggesting that an Escalade is not good enough to be driven that fast, I am suggesting however it was not intended to be driven that fast, if you don't believe me please refer to the last sentence in your post.

3.As for German owners in Germany, I don't know anything about that. I do know western cars must have some modifications to be driven in other parts of the world. I do not know what these modifications entail, although they would need to be substantial in the area of the suspension in order for me to purchase an Escalade so I could "fly" down the autobahn. Regardless, an Escalade would still be a poor choice for German high speed driving.

4.See sentence 1 for an explanation/response.

5.Just because a car can over run a factory set limit doesn't necessarily mean that it should be driven at that limit.

--------Question for you and anyone else that doesn't understand this; The engine has a factory set rev limiter, if I hold the pedal on the wood until the car runs out of gas or the engine lets go, does GM owe me an engine??

6.Why should someone fix your car if they believe you are using it beyond what is considered normal use??

7.I agree Escalades are expensive, but that in no way entitles anyone to a warranty. Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are more expensive and probably have a much more restricted warranty. One cant base quality/terms of warranty on purchase price. And yes, how you drive your car will determine how a warranty claim "might" be handled.

Lastly, I agree the Escalade is quite comfortable (floaty), this is one of the reasons I don't anticipate pushing it to its factory preset limit. That being said, there could be a situation that would dictate otherwise.

To summarize, I was originally trying to say if you treat something in such a manner that could be construed as abuse or beyond its normal limits, and it breaks, don't expect a handout. JMHO

ELUSIVE
07-06-12, 09:34 AM
Why?

Because its a 5000 pound plus tank. It's got a high center of gravity. The brakes are not meant for high speed. The suspension is not meant for high speed. Nothing in it is meant for high speed.

They make cars that are designed for speed and they are great to drive for that purpose. I am lucky enough to have one of the best for it.

lee88
07-06-12, 09:58 AM
If y'all haven't noticed Mr Holland likes to start drama around here. No one said anything about a warranty, much less "expecting a handout"

Seriously "mr holland" get a life

The post was completely irrelevant.

lee88
07-06-12, 10:06 AM
Besides that, the governor is there for more then one reason, to limit speed which prevents damage to the vehicle would be one. Therefore any speed at or below the governed speed should be safe and the vehicle should hold up.

jscalade
07-06-12, 05:35 PM
I live in germany and have reached the governor on my escalade often. It's running great (so far) and have put on 40,000 miles in Europe and 60,000 total miles. I had major warranty work done (replaced the engine) on my 08 CTS 2 years ago without questions asked and havent had any problem ever since. If you keep up with the maintenance of your vehicles, it should hold up just fine. As for difference between euro and us spec vehicles, components are pretty much the same except euro spec vehicles are equipped with transmission coolers and they cost more here well if you would take into account the currency exchange rate. An escalade premium cost €84000, a cts-v cost €74000 and the last time i was at the dealer they have a used cts for €41000.

MrHolland
07-06-12, 08:33 PM
I absolutely agree, maintenance is key for anything.

h2kool4tn
07-07-12, 02:48 PM
I have had it at 110 mph.... to be honest, it was very smooth but I was nervous...(a bit loud with the wind, but smoother than riding 30 mph ont he back-roads) such a big vehicle for that speed. I would not be able to do much if anything were to happen as far as slowing down or avoiding a simple object on the road.

///M Eater
07-07-12, 09:27 PM
Ive hit the governor before and the car felt plenty stable. Whats wrong with opening your car up *responsibly* now and then?

And to whoever was bringing up the warranty and all that bs, no, the majority of us dont feel bad if we bring the car in because we (God forbid) threw a rod doing 103. It has a preset limit for a reason and if something happens within those preset limits I expect GM to fix them on their dime, I having no remorse. If the car magically breaks at 110, GM should have set the limit before that. You see where I'm going with this?

MrHolland
07-07-12, 10:32 PM
Ill pose my question again since no on seems to address it.

If I put the gas pedal on floor and hold the engine wide open until it lets go, does GM owe me an engine??? The engine also has a factory set limit. Does you logic also apply to this scenario??

The answer should be NO, but I challenge you to tell me otherwise. Just because someone else has determined where a limit should be set, doesn't make it safe for you or the piece of equipment that is being pushed to that limit.

quattrotman
07-07-12, 11:47 PM
Ill pose my question again since no on seems to address it.

If I put the gas pedal on floor and hold the engine wide open until it lets go, does GM owe me an engine??? The engine also has a factory set limit. Does you logic also apply to this scenario??

The answer should be NO, but I challenge you to tell me otherwise. Just because someone else has determined where a limit should be set, doesn't make it safe for you or the piece of equipment that is being pushed to that limit.

I'll answer...yes, they do. Just because you wanna be Mr Rogers doesn't mean everyone else has to. I don't care what I do to my truck. If it breaks and it's under warranty I'm going to have them fix it. Part of the cost of my vehicle was the warranty. It's mine and I'll use it if i want to. If I pull the door handle off because I reefed on it, they're fixing it. Why not? Just like they turn their back on me when the warranty is up...even when they should fix it. What world are you from? Do you ask the IRS if you can pay a little extra every year too because you feel like you aren't contributing enough? Man, the goody goody thing with you is a bit tired... IMO.

MrHolland
07-07-12, 11:59 PM
Must be a difference in upbringing. By goody goody, I assume you are referring to respect and honesty....... Ive been called worse LOL

K9Caddy
07-08-12, 01:41 AM
Mrholland, I'm not quite following you here either... You're not "intentionally breaking" anything, by hitting the factory governor. That is why it is there and in the first place. Now, if you intentionally REMOVED the governor and surpassed the governor that was allowed by the factory, than by all means, it should be on the owner and not GM.

Yes, you are breaking the law by going those speeds on an open highway. However, there is a place and time in which hitting the governor(limiter) is warranted, on a closed track or your local drag-strip.

Ok, back to the OP's original question and back on TOPIC... I've personally probably hit it a few times! :)

krieghoff
07-08-12, 07:39 AM
The only reason the governor is to keep people from being overly stupid!

Remember that you can't fix stupid!

Why would anyone want or need to go 104 MPH?

If the governor was set at 200 MPH I am guessing someone would try it!!

I still can't figure out why my ESV has 160 MPH speedometer!!!!!

MrHolland
07-08-12, 07:47 AM
LOL, they've been doing that for years!!!! I have a friend with a Model A, speedo reads 80MPH, if memory serves me correctly

lee88
07-08-12, 11:15 AM
I love how holland always throws his "upbringing" Into his arguments... Umm the rest of us don't lack integrity or honestly just because we don't agree with your obviously hypothetical question. You basically started an argument with op for no reason. He never said anything about warranty. Good boys don't pick fights or pass judgement. They also don't throw their upbringing into people's face as if they are better then anyone!

I bet mama would be ashamed ;)

PWGUNNY
07-10-12, 04:08 PM
I like my Governor (Cuomo), so I wouldn't hit him. The Escalady, nope I wouldn't want to top end that truck. I have my Sportbike for my speed adrenaline.

hcvone
07-10-12, 05:16 PM
As often as the governor need to be hit. ;)

cutterman
07-11-12, 09:11 AM
Rev limiters are designed to prevent exceeding design specs of the engine. Obviously one can hit the limit in lower gears and not exceed 100 mph. I think you do these engines a disservice by not opening them up every once in a while.

ELUSIVE
07-11-12, 12:19 PM
Rev limiters are designed to prevent exceeding design specs of the engine. Obviously one can hit the limit in lower gears and not exceed 100 mph. I think you do these engines a disservice by not opening them up every once in a while.

I could easily be wrong, but I have always thought a governor and a rev limiter were different. My understanding was that a rev limiter prevents you from hitting a certain RPM, while a governor prevents you from hitting a certain speed regardless of rpm.

There is a big difference in my opinion between doing 60 mph in a lower gear to open up the engine and driving 100+ mph and hitting the speed governor.

cutterman
07-11-12, 04:03 PM
I may have misunderstood that the op and subsequent discussion was actually referring to the rev limiter. Either way I wouldn't worry about engine failure in a properly maintained vehicle that hits the rev limit or speed limit. I would imagine engine revs at top speed are no where near max rpm in top gear.

zam2000
07-13-12, 08:44 PM
I've gone as high as 95mph couple times, and that's all. It's a big truck & not designed to go fast. Though the car still stable at 90+ mph, you could definitely tell the law-of-physic of wind vs brick-walll at that speed.

I've gone plenty of time of 120+ mph in my S, and I'm sure the car could go even more, car was completely calm & stable at that speed. But again, it was designed to go fast.

h2kool4tn
07-15-12, 01:54 AM
What is my supposedly limited speed at for 2011 ? I could have sworn I hit 110 mph a few times!

MrHolland
07-15-12, 02:40 AM
Ive not been anywhere near the governor in my car, so i cant say for sure; but I thought it was around 106. Thats just a guess though, and its totally possible for your speedo to read 110. Usually the faster you go after a certain point the more inaccurate your speedo becomes.