: Is this the worst rusty engine you have seen?

daveyhouse
07-04-12, 07:44 PM

aeronca36606
07-04-12, 07:54 PM
Not the worst but right up there! Engine replacement time.

dkozloski
07-04-12, 08:17 PM
That's SOP for a flood motor.

daveyhouse
07-04-12, 08:22 PM
Not the worst but right up there! Engine replacement time.
So you don't think I can rebuild this from the block up?

Ranger
07-04-12, 09:20 PM
Just polish up the cam lobes, fill it with oil and it'll be fine.

CadillacLuke24
07-05-12, 01:47 AM
Polish the crap out of and off of them. Good luck.

daveyhouse
07-05-12, 11:51 AM
Good ones, LOL. I was planning on going to bone yard to find a better set of heads (shouldn't be too hard). But first I want tear it down to see what it looks like downstairs.

Faded Crest
07-05-12, 12:22 PM
Personally, if I was going to go to all that trouble, I'd probably start with a different engine core... But that being said, it would be more interesting to all of us if you opened that one up... :rolleyes:

drewsdeville
07-05-12, 12:30 PM
Looks like it just needs some techron and ultramaxlonglifesupersynthblend oil to me!

Submariner409
07-05-12, 12:36 PM
When (if) you get into the lower end it will be worse than the heads.

My opinion is that this engine is toast - the cylinders will be scary also, and Northstars have few and none boring options.

I once opened up an Olds 455 in similar condition - we had to beat the pistons out of it with a 4 X 4 and sledge hammer. Needed custom made Arias pistons at +.040". I still have one of the pistons hung on the shop wall if anyone wants a good cry............

Ranger
07-05-12, 12:54 PM
Where did that hunk of rust come from? Looks like it had been sitting behind a bard for years with no cam covers or hood.

CadillacLuke24
07-05-12, 04:03 PM
When (if) you get into the lower end it will be worse than the heads.

My opinion is that this engine is toast - the cylinders will be scary also, and Northstars have few and none boring options.

I once opened up an Olds 455 in similar condition - we had to beat the pistons out of it with a 4 X 4 and sledge hammer. Needed custom made Arias pistons at +.040". I still have one of the pistons hung on the shop wall if anyone wants a good cry............

Well, don't just tease! Let's see it!

daveyhouse
07-05-12, 04:09 PM
My son bought it as his first vehicle. We were told that it needed HG's. I thought before I researched, HG's no problem go ahead and get it.
Then I started to learn about this motor. Whoops!

That's ok, we will make it right somehow some way. The more it cost him the more he will appreciate it.

I told him to look at spending at least $1K in parts alone, now I am thinking 1.5K to 2K

I did find pistons up to .020 over for $300. I'm just scared of the block condition

I will take pics of this wannabe Katrina victim when I get inside for everyone to see.

Hey Drewsdeville where can I get some of that ultramaxlonglifesupersynthblend oil, sounds like good stuff, LOL

Faded Crest
07-05-12, 04:16 PM
Check Craigslist for another engine core. They are not expensive... Especially if they also need head gaskets. Not uncommon to find them for around $150 complete.

daveyhouse
07-05-12, 08:42 PM
inside the sludge bucket timing cover

milkshake anyone?

head gasket from right bank

daveyhouse
07-05-12, 08:44 PM
Tomorrow I will take the left head off, then go into the sludge dungeon underneath.

Ranger
07-05-12, 10:14 PM
I did find pistons up to .020 over for $300. I'm just scared of the block condition

I didn't even think they made oversized pistons for these motors. You can't bore them to the best of my knowledge. Be careful what you buy.

Never saw the inside of a Northstar look that nasty. That puppy was really neglected.

Faded Crest
07-05-12, 10:30 PM
I didn't even see that post... No way I would mess with oversized pistons for $300. Normally, you just re-use the pistons, they are almost always fine and so are the cylinders. You could get another clean engine to start with for less than the cost of just those pistons... no machining necessary.

rodnok01
07-05-12, 10:52 PM
Wow... think I'd look for another motor, even one that needed HG's. At least you could use yours for parts if needed.

vincentm
07-06-12, 05:31 PM
Looks like it just needs some techron and ultramaxlonglifesupersynthblend oil to me!

I use it for my rhumatoyd athritis.

daveyhouse
07-06-12, 06:26 PM
Well got the left head off today and was disgusted when I saw this943649436594366
Someone tried to repair this before and botched it all to h@LL.

I guess Blue and Black RTV Sealant is the new way kids use to fix head gaskets.94367

Ok on with the pics

Faded Crest
07-06-12, 06:40 PM
What a mess. Did you have a hard time prying the heads off? Trying to figure out why the deck surface is dented in places.

daveyhouse
07-06-12, 06:42 PM
More pics here if I put the link in right http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/daveyhouse/caddy/

daveyhouse
07-06-12, 06:49 PM
What a mess. Did you have a hard time prying the heads off? Trying to figure out why the deck surface is dented in places.

The right head was a little tough getting off but that one was still factory only two bad bolts.
The left one with dents came right off. Who ever took it off must have forgotten a bolt or something and tried to pry in a no no place and rammed something in there.All bolts were shot. I think they put the old bolts back in the dirty holes. The gasket was changed but there was blue AND black rtv sealant all over the place.

daveyhouse
07-06-12, 06:54 PM
When I pulled all the plugs number 2 and 4 had milkshake all over them. I guess that explains how the water got into the oil. There is carbon burns on the gasket where the dents in the block are.

Faded Crest
07-06-12, 07:38 PM
Who ever took it off must have forgotten a bolt or something and tried to pry in a no no place and rammed something in there.All bolts were shot. I think they put the old bolts back in the dirty holes. The gasket was changed but there was blue AND black rtv sealant all over the place.

:nono: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

rodnok01
07-06-12, 08:08 PM
Damn that's just about as bad as I can every remember seeing. I pulled a boat motor apart that was sunk and it wasn't that bad. Rusted but not a cluster nearly that bad. I cannot believe it was running at all looing like that, guess it says something for the engine design.

Ranger
07-06-12, 10:12 PM
WOW! I wonder what butcher "repaired" that motor. Are you still going to attempt to resurrect it?

daveyhouse
07-06-12, 11:21 PM
WOW! I wonder what butcher "repaired" that motor. Are you still going to attempt to resurrect it?

LOL, that would be a no unless I can get a shim for that depth of a scar. Have to measure it first. Local pick n pull is wanting $250 for an engine

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 12:55 AM
LOL, that would be a no unless I can get a shim for that depth of a scar. Have to measure it first. Local pick n pull is wanting $250 for an engine

That's pretty high for a junkyard unless it's in good running condition. You could buy a whole bad HG Northstar car for about $500. I think our local pull-a-part charges something like $125 for an engine. Check Craigslist. BTW, where are you located?

daveyhouse
07-07-12, 01:08 AM
That's pretty high for a junkyard unless it's in good running condition. You could buy a whole bad HG Northstar car for about $500. I think our local pull-a-part charges something like $125 for an engine. Check Craigslist. BTW, where are you located?
york, pa

but I don't have room for another vehicle, living in a row-home and all

iflipcars
07-07-12, 01:33 AM
what is a row-home??

daveyhouse
07-07-12, 02:28 AM
Where I have a neighbor on the other side of my interior wall. City Living. It is actually a semi detached.
Hope you weren't thinking a row boat, LOL

Faded Crest
07-07-12, 11:02 AM
In that case I'm surprised you have room to even work on a car. Anyway, $250 isn't all that bad. Still cheaper than just the set of rings you found.

Submariner409
07-07-12, 01:11 PM
Well, don't just tease! Let's see it!

From the bench, 10 minutes ago - Olds 455 + water = remove pistons with 4 X 4 and sledge hammer. They don't make enough JB Weld for this.....The block was bored +.040, overhauled, and is running to this day.

daveyhouse
07-07-12, 04:27 PM
All I can say is WOW. I'm sure I can get these out, because I can still spin the crank. After all I had to so i could get the tc bolts out.

Went to that bone yard that had the motor for 250 but they wanted 500 more to pull, seeeeya. All that after walking around in 100 degrees looking for a motor that still everything on, no water on dipstick, sparkplugs still in, nothing exposed to the elements.

Found another u-pull-it about 2 hrs away, as long as I find a motor I want they sell it for 140 + 100 to pull it. So 240 + tax and I'll have another engine to tear down.

Submariner409
07-07-12, 04:59 PM
Just as an aside - in a multi-cylinder engine there will ALWAYS be one or more cylinders open to the elements - either the intake or exhaust valves are open to some degree depending on the point in the operating cycle at which the engine came to a stop. Think about it ..........

daveyhouse
07-08-12, 08:00 PM
Point taken.I understand there will be valves open allowing humidity in. I'll just have to take my chances on that. I was just worried about the hoods always being up in the boneyard and there are quit often valve covers, intakes, or sparkplugs missing allowing direct rain into the motor.

I did pick one today. Out of a 96 Eldo. Got the complete engine with accessories and the tranny to boot for $160 out the gate, and they removed it for me. Took him 28 minutes to drop it have it ready to load on my borrowed truck. I can't complain about that price.

I guess I can start another thread for engine number 2, and put this sludge/rust bucket to rest. It's days are over. :preach:

rodnok01
07-08-12, 08:05 PM
Naw, slap it back together and make a "how to build a N* mailbox" thread....or sell it. I have sold completly destroyed engines for 100 bucks many a time.

fasteddie41
07-08-12, 10:47 PM
How long did it sit up!!!

daveyhouse
07-09-12, 12:29 AM
I have no idea on both engines

dkozloski
07-09-12, 01:14 AM
The problem with reboring a Northstar engine is that there is no way to duplicate the original cylinder finish without the factory diamond tooling and that is the secret to the legendary longevity of a Northstar cylinder bore.

CadillacLuke24
07-09-12, 04:01 AM
From the bench, 10 minutes ago - Olds 455 + water = remove pistons with 4 X 4 and sledge hammer. They don't make enough JB Weld for this.....The block was bored +.040, overhauled, and is running to this day.

Sub, I almost think you should have started a second career as a gearhead. Then again, that would take the fun outta it. EXCELLENT JOB!

Submariner409
07-09-12, 10:29 AM
Sub, I almost think you should have started a second career as a gearhead.

I never quit........... just as dkoz, Ranger, orconn, N*Caddy and many other CF members, we all grew up playing with cars, bombs, radios, airplanes, rockets, submarines, engines, bicycles, fuse boxes and tools. The second career on the research vessel.........many Tuesday nights I was right next to the Engineer, swearing over a 600 hp Cummins V-12 turbodiesel, a 20 ton refrigeration chiller system, or a creaky old DECCA radar set. I still build either an Olds 455 or GM 454 marine engine once in a while.

maeng9981
07-14-12, 01:26 PM
WOW! This has to be the worst Northstar I have ever seen. Even the ones that had missing components in the salvage yard weren't this bad.