: coolant temp sensor location, 05 V

Wingsfan4life
07-04-12, 11:47 AM
I reasearched a while and couldn't find what I was looking for, so my apologies if I over post this....05 V...car runs fine, but intermittently, digital and analog guage reads over heat, along with infotainment readings of; "idle engine" and "overheat shut off engine" no engine code besides "lean bank one".....1st guess, temp sensor..need location on it for self service...all feedback greatly appreciated.. :-)

darkman
07-04-12, 12:03 PM
The water temperature sensor screws into the driver's side head close to the front where the intake tube resides.

FuzzyLogic
07-04-12, 12:27 PM
See that brass thing that's not totally screwed in below the #1 cylinder (the one with the aftermarket springs)?

If you're looking to replace it, it's about $22 at Autozone and you'll need a 3/4" wrench to remove it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/IMG_0112.jpg

Wingsfan4life
07-04-12, 06:15 PM
Yea wasn't too bad, removed intake box and bam....drove after replacing and temp shot to 280 and I cut engine off..waited a bit and hvnt had a problem since..weird eh?

FuzzyLogic
07-04-12, 06:23 PM
By "intake box," you mean your cold air intake?

Wingsfan4life
07-04-12, 06:35 PM
Lol...no CAI, too loud...maybe next year when she's forced fed....factory airbox...lol

darkman
07-04-12, 06:49 PM
Yea wasn't too bad, removed intake box and bam....drove after replacing and temp shot to 280 and I cut engine off..waited a bit and hvnt had a problem since..weird eh?

I would refresh the grounds located under the hood. This includes the main battery ground, the 3 grounds located on the back of the cylinder heads and one located underneath the hood support rod. These grounds become oxidized and should be hit with some sandpaper, small file, or other abrasive. Star washers can also help. The computer uses these circuits for reference voltages such that grounds not directly related to one circuit can cause issues (such as a gauge malfunction) with another circuit.

Wingsfan4life
07-04-12, 06:52 PM
Interesting....I'll have to do that tomorrow if it acts up..lol

Wingsfan4life
07-06-12, 08:12 AM
Darkman, looks like I'm gonna need to do this today...driving home yesterday analog and digital gauge went haywire...car seemed fine so I drove it home...no steam and when guages were normal temp was normal