: Painting 2006 STS headlight Housing?

Mullah88
07-03-12, 07:47 PM
I've seen the DIY on the CTS but i havent seen any done for the STS yet? is it possible to paint the chrome assembly? i've got a dark blue sts and i'm thinking of doing that rather than blacking out the headlights

nefarious35
07-04-12, 01:07 PM
What do you mean? Are you talking about removing the lens and changing the color of the interior housing?

Mullah88
07-04-12, 01:25 PM
What do you mean? Are you talking about removing the lens and changing the color of the interior housing?

sorry i meant the chrome part of the headlight assembly?

1_bad_cad
07-04-12, 04:43 PM
Yes, it is possible to paint the inside of the headlight housing but you have to perfect at resealing or condensation will go in. Here is an STS-V with it done.
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P8WcmcuXrBQLh9gdRm0gIAo&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13853b697f33af32

nefarious35
07-04-12, 08:35 PM
Where???

Mullah88
07-05-12, 12:27 AM
ok just checking because i rarely see ppl with painted sts headlights...i've also read ppl complain about the condensation problem.

eatyoursandwich
07-05-12, 02:47 PM
Yes, it is possible to paint the inside of the headlight housing but you have to perfect at resealing or condensation will go in. Here is an STS-V with it done.
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?saduie=AG9B_P8WcmcuXrBQLh9gdRm0gIAo&attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=13853b697f33af32

Lol, where?

I'm not sure how many people have removed the lenses on an STS, but it is an absolute PITA.

I've disassembled/reassembled numerous headlights and this was by far the most painstaking to separate the lens from the housing. If you go the heat gun route, be prepared to sit for a few hours with each headlight. Even then, you have to make sure the factory silicone doesn't contact the lens or you're gonna have a bad time.

I had to leave my housings in a 180F oven overnight to heat the silicone enough to separate the lens. You're also going to be absolutely 100% sure you have resealed them correctly or you're going to spend a lot of time removing the headlights.

Would really like to see how this looks. I really like the chrome painted housings, but haven't seen these housings painted so I'm curious to see how it looks.

*edit* found one

Do not like. Looks too much like a CTS.

Ludacrisvp
07-05-12, 03:10 PM
Do not like. Looks too much like a CTS.

I agree with that statement.

TimmyC
07-05-12, 06:10 PM
I thought it was a cts till I studied it more. Don't like.