: R.I.P Andy Griffith

Faded Crest
07-03-12, 06:50 PM
I guess that just about says it all. 86 years old.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/03/showbiz/andy-griffith-dead/index.html

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 07:10 PM
RIP Andy. Man, it seems like so many popular people are passing.

vincentm
07-03-12, 07:39 PM
Much respect to him, never heard anything bad about the guy. Loved watching Matlock, my dad got me hooked on it.

orconn
07-03-12, 07:55 PM
Back in the late 1970's I happened to meet Andy Griffith at a Kruse Car Auction in Santa Monica, CA. I had my Lamborghini 350 GT in the auction and while it was on display Andy Griffith came up and was asking me questions about the car. Apparently he was getting his collection started at the time and while he showed some interest in the Lambo, his real interest was in the early fifties Rolls-Royce "Silver Wraith" limousine that was parked next to my car. We had a nice conversation for about half an hour and then he met up with some friends and went off to look at some of the other cars there. He seemed like a very nice "down to earth" sort of guy, very pleasant to talk to.

I never saw the "Mayberry, RFD" show, but did enjoy the "Matlock" show. He had a long life and career in show business and apparently was very well liked .... he will be missed!

Faded Crest
07-03-12, 07:59 PM
Orconn, somehow it doesn't surprise me that you met him. :D

talismandave
07-03-12, 10:13 PM
What are you saying Faded?... Orconn Gump?:lol:

It doesn't surprise me either. Nor dose it surprise me that when he did he was as grounded and nice as he always seemed. The local news mentioned that during the tumult of the 60s his show was a reminder of a kinder and gentler time in life. Would also be a good way of describing how he seemed to live his life. A sad day for all of us, but the choir is rejoicing in it's new member.

ThumperPup
07-03-12, 10:29 PM
oh my gosh i was jsut watching some mattlock rerunds a few weeks ago with a friend in cleveland and we where talking about how the heck he could still be around
the way he always heats hotdogs on that show
damm now i feel bad because he really is dead
that is not good

RIP ANDY i will always remember you from childhood

thebigjimsho
07-03-12, 10:50 PM
He had a nice cameo in Brad Paisley's Waitin' On A Woman video. Brad really enjoyed working with Andy. I guess Andy Griffith was actively campaigning for work in his later years but felt shut out by the movie and TV industry. Folks like Betty White are all too rare and it's ashame we couldn't see more of him.

BIGREECE
07-03-12, 11:00 PM
Mayberry is in NC, little east of the High country they have all the Andy Griffith tourist spots. I watched the show since I was 5 years old, I can still watch today and enjoy tremendously, Mount Pilot which is the next biggest town (In the show) is a mountain you can see from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Back in the late 1970's I happened to meet Andy Griffith at a Kruse Car Auction in Santa Monica, CA. I had my Lamborghini 350 GT in the auction and while it was on display Andy Griffith came u and was asking me questions about the car. Apparently he was getting his collection started at the time and while he showed some interest in the Lambo, his real interest was in the early fifties Rolls-Royce "Silver Wraith" limousine that was parked next to my car. We had a nice conversation for about half an hour and then he met up with some friends and went off to look at some of the other cars there. He seemed like a very nice "down to earth" sort of guy, very pleasant to talk to.

I never saw the "Mayberry, RFD" show, but did enjoy the "Matlock" show. He had a long life and career in show business and apparently was very well liked .... he will be missed!

Jesda
07-03-12, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahbyf9cbEU

talismandave
07-03-12, 11:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahbyf9cbEU
Matt Lauer had hair?...Who knew?:D
Great clip Jesda, thanks for finding and sharing it.
Where did they film that, the set of Barney Miller?

Faded Crest
07-04-12, 01:20 AM
Mayberry is in NC, little east of the High country they have all the Andy Griffith tourist spots. I watched the show since I was 5 years old, I can still watch today and enjoy tremendously, Mount Pilot which is the next biggest town (In the show) is a mountain you can see from the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Without question, if you get a chance, visit the real "Mayberry"... which is actually a town called "Mount Airy"... (rhymes, get it?) Very cool little town. There is a neat statue of Andy Griffith and "Opie" hand in hand with a fishing pole in front of the local theatre. Here is a picture of my wife and I at the statue...

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/thejumpsuitman/andygriffithstatue.jpg

talismandave
07-04-12, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a great excuse to visit one of the most beautiful spots in the world! It has been too many years since I have taken in the wonder of the Blue Ridge Mt.s.

CIWS
07-04-12, 12:07 PM
R.I.P sir. Thank you for the decades of down home entertainment you provided us for so long.

thebigjimsho
07-04-12, 12:49 PM
Sounds like a great excuse to visit one of the most beautiful spots in the world! It has been too many years since I have taken in the wonder of the Blue Ridge Mt.s.

I was there last year and it feels too long...

concorso
07-04-12, 02:12 PM
I watched Matlock as a kid with my folks. Great memories. Im also a huge fan of Don Knotts.