Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Battery under the dts back seat

16K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  stormnn 
#1 ·
When did Cadillac start placing the battery under the back seat? It's a bad design based on my personal experience. It took me long time to replace the battery on my DTS.

So what are the advantages of this useless concept by the Cadillac Engineers?

Thanks

#2 ·
Since 1998. Started with the K body Seville and then in 2000 for the Deville.

Its actually a good design. Terminals won't get corroded from the elements and its not like you have to change the battery every day. I can change mine out in less then a half hour. And most of that time is looking for tools. And there are terminals under the hood for jumping the car.

#3 ·
The battery in my 2000 Deville failed after 5 years. Much to my surprise when I removed the rear seat I could see my garage floor. Acid had leaked from the positive terminal and corroded a 4 inch diameter hole. The vehicle was still under the extended warrenty but the dealer said it wasn't covered. Since the battery caused the problem they recommended I contact delco with my complaint. I fixed it myself with a metal patch and epoxy in about 30 minutes.

#8 ·
They are usually in an area that doesn't impede where luggage would go. It could go under the floor in the spare tire area. I don't understand why cars these days don't have real spare tires either.

Cars used to come with full size spares with a matching wheel.

#7 ·
I don't like it in the DTS, but absolutely hate it in my Riviera. There is no room to work...and if the battery is dead, and the seats are all the way back -- it's even worse...

#9 ·
To save space in the trunk. Plus it's cheaper to put in a donut than a full size spare. Knowing what I know about batteries, I'd prefer it to be under the backseat where the temperature is much more cooler. But it seems like some still have batteries that are dying out at the same rate as batteries under the hood.

#12 ·
Let's see.............every 3 months I go through a maintenance list which includes checking the battery, its cables and vent system - under the back seat, secure and very simple. Batteries have needs and a finite life, so if a battery fails, eats a hole in the engine compartment or rear floor pan, or seems to "go dead" (ever), then the car owner is not doing the required vehicle checks and maintenance. If you need to rely on a message to say "Check oil level" or "Check tire pressure" you're gonna get bit. Looks like some need a "Check my battery" message too. :sneaky:

#17 ·
Napa has 2 batteries that will fit. The one called for Caddy has the vents coming off the front of the battery & is $40 more than the exact same battery but the vents come off the middle of the sides. Move the vent hoses under the battery cables & they work fine. A knowledgeable partsman [rare] at Napa showed me this. Saved me $40.
Norm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.