: Installed Matte Black Wrao on 05 V

JPGIII
07-02-12, 09:42 PM
Pulled the gun on the matte black hood. What do you all think?94149

shadybx7
07-02-12, 09:45 PM
rotas look good on a lowered car... any more angles of the hood?. hahah nice photchop on the DRL.. i hate um too

JPGIII
07-02-12, 10:10 PM
They do look good, haha, I was playing around with it before I installed the real deal on the DRL. I liked it so I did it this weekend. Ill take pictures of a different angle here shortly94153

FuzzyLogic
07-03-12, 08:27 AM
It looks horrible. So do carbon fiber hoods, but at least the ugliness factor is mitigated by the "I just spent $5000 on a lightweight hood" factor.

Your hood looks plastidipped (which will melt under engine heat, by the way). So you have the worst of all worlds.

Faber
07-03-12, 09:13 AM
Not a fan. Doesn't tie in with the overall car. Everything is shiny but for the hood and the grill trim. Seems more like you got a replacement hood but couldn't afford to paint it. But, if you like it, that's what counts :thumbsup:

FuzzyLogic
07-03-12, 11:34 AM
But, if you like it, that's what counts :thumbsup:

Disagree. When someone sees his CTS-V, their estimation of the CTS-V as platform will go down. So we're all affected.

JPGIII
07-03-12, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

ls6junkie
07-03-12, 03:22 PM
I like it. Then again I'm young and came from the tuner car scene. I don't ever look at a matte or carbon fiber hood on a modified car and think "he couldn't afford paint." I think that he wanted to do something to make his car stick out. Sure there are a lot of mods that make a car stick out that are ugly and gaudy, but I don't think this is one of them. It goes good with the color scheme. And each to their own. I don't think that anyone looks at a CTS-V and says what a pile. They are regarded as some of the best sedans in the world. Anyone that thinks that is just plain ignorant.

FuzzyLogic
07-03-12, 03:47 PM
I like it. Then again I'm young and came from the tuner car scene. I don't ever look at a matte or carbon fiber hood on a modified car and think "he couldn't afford paint." I think that he wanted to do something to make his car stick out. Sure there are a lot of mods that make a car stick out that are ugly and gaudy, but I don't think this is one of them. It goes good with the color scheme. And each to their own. I don't think that anyone looks at a CTS-V and says what a pile. They are regarded as some of the best sedans in the world. Anyone that thinks that is just plain ignorant.

Or is it your own immaturity and ignorance talking?

One of the worst things about these cars becoming cheaper is that you start getting 18-21 year guys buying them and not having the requisite maturity, skill, or money to treat these cars like the $60,000 machines that they are.

Examples of credit to the brand:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-124.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs33/i/2008/294/b/3/badass_black_Cadillac_CTS_V_by_Partywave.jpg

http://bredenforged.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/cts-blk-1web.jpg

Disgrace:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/features/performance/8321261+pheader/112_0211_2003_Lund_Cadillac_CTS+2003_Cadillac_CTS+ Driver_Side_Front_Grill_View.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/rub3n_05/ctsv5.jpg

http://www.madwhips.com/upload/images/slammed_cadillac_cts_on_20_s_3_1-800-600.jpg

If the OP wants to continue this matte black look, similar to the black satin V above, I think that's commendable. Otherwise, I recommend getting the hood repainted.

JPGIII
07-03-12, 04:03 PM
It was a 3m wrap from stickercity. I decided to go back to the classy look that i had before when i got it from Joshua. I was trying new looks. haha :yup: 94196

Scattilac
07-03-12, 11:46 PM
Disagree. When someone sees his CTS-V, their estimation of the CTS-V as platform will go down. So we're all affected.

Douche chills...........what a tool, CTS-V gen 1 cars are a dime a dozen (20 grand everywhere), stop thinking you have a legitimate reason to jump on the coat tails of the gen 2's super-car status, for crying out loud get a grip....I know, my sig shows a 3.6 6 cyl grandma CTS...but I have a bunch of cars and still like to linger here, reading posts like yours is pure entertainment. All owners effected by one guys decision to wrap his hood, really cannot make this stuff up hahahahaa...

thebigjimsho
07-04-12, 01:12 PM
Just so you know, I don't like the wrapped hood. For anyone thinking their V1s are taking a rep hit, guys are wrapping hoods in V2 as well.

Bad taste is everywhere, no offense OP...

thebigjimsho
07-04-12, 01:13 PM
Oh, and I Plasti-dip'd my '09 grille...

FuzzyLogic
07-04-12, 01:21 PM
Just so you know, I don't like the wrapped hood. For anyone thinking their V1s are taking a rep hit, guys are wrapping hoods in V2 as well.

Bad taste is everywhere, no offense OP...

Jim, do you have an example? The D3 CTS-V2 Legionnaire makings were carefully selected to adhere to the lines of the car. I don't mind it.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The-Legionnaire-by-D3-02.jpg

A similar DIY project that didn't have D3's funding, tooling, or experience:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/2tone.jpg

And this makes me want to vomit:

http://www.mitternachtproduction.com/images/newpaint1a.jpg

JPGIII
07-04-12, 02:57 PM
No offense at all :) I am a believer in constructive criticism. Got a lot of nays from friends and wanted to hear what the V community had to say. Thanks. I thought it would look better but I was not a big fan either.

JDB
07-04-12, 06:13 PM
rotas look good on a lowered car... any more angles of the hood?. hahah nice photchop on the DRL.. i hate um too

Eliminate the DRLs ...one of the first things I did when I got my V....along with CAGS eliminate.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl/index.html

JPGIII
07-04-12, 07:02 PM
Eliminate the DRLs ...one of the first things I did when I got my V....along with CAGS eliminate.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/disdrl/index.html

Thanks for the link I'll be looking at doing this. Just installed my headers and H&R's 2 weeks ago. Thinking of doing the VRX4 next month.

ls6junkie
07-04-12, 07:13 PM

One of the worst things about these cars becoming cheaper is that you start getting 18-21 year guys buying them and not having the requisite maturity, skill, or money to treat these cars like the $60,000 machines that they are.

Immaturity, I guess if you think that a married educated 26 year old homeowner is immature then yes. I am not going to be on here to argue that anyone's taste is better than the others, all I am saying is that there are plenty of car owners of cars that are worth considerably more than our CTS-V's that will make mods similar to this.

Facing the facts that not everyone has the same taste as you might be hard to do. Likewise realizing your aging car that is getting less expensive by the month and is now affordable to a larger demographic of people could be tough to accept. There will be new ideas, bolder moves, and some failures for sure. To be completely honest, every picture example that you posted I agreed with your assessment on. I don't believe that the OP has completed the look that he is going for on his car. I see where he is going with it and to me I think it is acceptable.

I maintain that no one looks at a CTS-V and thinks that the car is a pile of junk. I agree that IMHO some mods (like the examples that you posted under disgrace) are awful, but each to their own. It's called personalizing a car because that's what it is, making the car match your personality. People have different taste, it's human nature; a part of culture, age, and individual personality. For example, I would never make the hood on my V flat black, but I respect the look other people are going for.

I'm not going to sit here and argue about my skill, or financial situation. It has no relevancy to this discussion.

As far as ignorance, I'm going to say that either I was ignorant to the types of owners on this forum, or you are ignorant enough to believe everyone that has different taste than you is inferior and must be informed of their mistakes.

FuzzyLogic
07-04-12, 07:30 PM
As far as ignorance, I'm going to say that either I was ignorant to the types of owners on this forum, or you are ignorant enough to believe everyone that has different taste than you is inferior and must be informed of their mistakes.

27 year electrical engineer with a MSEE (UIUC undergrad, RPI grad). I'm one of the guys on the forum that believes very few things are subjective because so many things can be quantified by someone intelligent enough to understand the governing mechanics. I occasionally come off as an egotistical jerk, but I never try to sound like that. I speak my mind directly, and the same bluntness is applied to myself when I screw up or don't understand something. Stick around and you'll see me ream myself out for stupidity as much as I do others.

concorso
07-04-12, 07:43 PM

Disgrace:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/rub3n_05/ctsv5.jpgI didnt think you guys liked V6's with V front ends. I love that satin black CTS.

Im also surprised you dont like the silver V. The Camaro rims dont look that bad.

Also....'WERE' $60,000 machines....

To the OP. If you were doing a flat/shiny combination, Id run shiny roof with the rest of the car flat black.

Scattilac
07-05-12, 09:48 AM
27 year electrical engineer with a MSEE (UIUC undergrad, RPI grad). I'm one of the guys on the forum that believes very few things are subjective because so many things can be quantified by someone intelligent enough to understand the governing mechanics. I occasionally come off as an egotistical jerk, but I never try to sound like that. I speak my mind directly, and the same bluntness is applied to myself when I screw up or don't understand something. Stick around and you'll see me ream myself out for stupidity as much as I do others.

Kind of feminine to lie about your age isn't it Fuzzy one? Everything is subjective when it involves personal taste - you cannot quantify opinion or interpretation....

FuzzyLogic
07-05-12, 10:37 AM
Kind of feminine to lie about your age isn't it Fuzzy one? Everything is subjective when it involves personal taste - you cannot quantify opinion or interpretation....

Online privacy. Standard practice. And you can go screw yourself, troll. Try contributing something useful.

Scattilac
07-05-12, 01:20 PM
Nice...I have contributed 487 times so far, kinda takes away the whole troll concept no? And, most of the time I try to be useful, some of the time I spend just picking out chest thumpers as easy targets for entertainment...have a nice day Fuzzy, hope nobody else insults your intelligence today.

Overd0s3
07-05-12, 11:17 PM
Looks bad, maybe if you followed the lines of the hood and did the 'inside' it would look better? how hard was it to do?

wcryan
07-06-12, 01:18 AM
I think it doesnt work with your car because of the main color of your car. Thanks for doing this though. I've always wondered what it looked like

I like turtles

JPGIII
07-06-12, 09:48 AM
Looks bad, maybe if you followed the lines of the hood and did the 'inside' it would look better? how hard was it to do?

I thought about going with the hood lines but did not want to scratch the paint as this was an experiment. Haha. It was hard as another V2 guy put it. Taking it off was just as hard.

thebigjimsho
07-07-12, 05:10 PM
I guess that's been my problem...

Teamsorad
07-07-12, 05:37 PM
What's so wrong about the first two cars that are posted? I like the silver one, just not a fan of the vents in the hood and the black one looks pretty clean to me. How are the 18-21yr old's ruining the brand with cars like that?

I agree the original car looks like you bought a hood from certifit and just didn't get it painted. I think a black CTS would look pretty good with a shinny carbon fiber hood, looks pretty good at night

AAIIIC
07-08-12, 03:24 PM
:histeric::histeric:

Mr.Tickles
07-08-12, 03:41 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/phukadonkey/Cadi/C2.jpg
My V painted Hot Rod Black
will have new TF wheels and Tires in a few weeks

Mr.Tickles
07-08-12, 03:44 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/phukadonkey/Cadi/C1.jpg

hXc95SLS
07-08-12, 06:11 PM
18-21 year olds ruining these cars? I bought my V at age 19. I'm 23 now and she's still relatively stock. I know of other younger guys with Vs also. All "tasteful" by some means or others. A persons car is their personal take on the car. I'd personally go flat black wrap or a bright royal blue. It's my car and everyone's opinion doesn't really matter to me.

etcts-v
07-09-12, 09:25 PM
Wow some heavy opinions on this one, to each their own I could give a shit less if someone doesn't like my car or if someone else has the same car customized to their own likes. The whole point of the customized, modded and after market in and of it self is to be unique. Mad Props for trying something new, takes creativity and balls to find new mods where as most guys just copy everyone else. More importantly it shows humility that you're willing to admit it didn't work out, trust me I've had more than my fair share of those! But I love every part of my special steel machine, I got to know her from the inside out throughout the process, even when I tried installing shitty e-bay led lights!

quikss
07-11-12, 12:58 AM
I agree, I think it was the original color of the car that kept it from looking awesome. That color doesnt seem to work well with the flat black. I have considered wrapping my car for some time now, and a few of these pictures have really got me thinking its time to do it.

I love that you tried it, and think if it was a black car it probably would have looked pretty decent. Thats a hard color to work with, its sort of a muted color to start with, and throwing some flat at it just mutes it down even more.

Jeff

EdmundGTP
07-19-12, 07:22 PM
I thought for a while about doing a matte wrap on my car a while back. Living in AZ and driving through Scottsdale frequently I've seen lots of cars wrapped in matte black lately. My resulting observation/opinion on matte black wraps is now this. When the car is CLEAN, and you see it under artificial light either late in the evening or at night (i.e. parking garage, or parking lot at night, or indoors), the matte black finish looks awesome. During the day time in bright full sunlight, it mostly looks like crap, even when it IS clean. I have YET to see a matte finish that looks exceptionally good in broad daylight.

shadybx7
07-20-12, 12:39 AM
fuzzzynutzz.. your opinion is subjective. don't be a douchher and act like its fact or objective. you did this in my thread a while back, photobombing what you consider "tastfull" no one cares.. say you dont like it and move on like everyone else

18-21 year olds ruining these cars? I bought my V at age 19. I'm 23 now and she's still relatively stock. I know of other younger guys with Vs also. All "tasteful" by some means or others. A persons car is their personal take on the car. I'd personally go flat black wrap or a bright royal blue. It's my car and everyone's opinion doesn't really matter to me.

+1

ctsvoom
07-21-12, 10:03 AM
Pulled the gun on the matte black hood. What do you all think?94149

What rims are those on your car? One of the few I've seen and liked.

odthetruth
07-21-12, 01:09 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/phukadonkey/Cadi/C1.jpg

Man, that looks so pimp. I'm really planning on doing mine in flat black when the time comes. Whats done to the headlights? I normally see people with tinted headlights and IMO they look dulled and crappy. I like the real glossy look of those.

Aurora40
07-21-12, 01:12 PM
I didnt think you guys liked V6's with V front ends. I love that satin black CTS.
Pretty sure that's a V with a 5-lug conversion, not a V6. While I like the satin look, the missing lower grill and fogs looks pretty rough to me. I don't know that I'd pick that car as an example of tasteful modification.

thebigjimsho
07-21-12, 07:35 PM
Pimp is originality. Matte black is played out. Following the herd. Boring.

JPGIII
07-23-12, 07:13 PM
What rims are those on your car? One of the few I've seen and liked.

These are the Rota Torque's from wheeldude. Thanks I like them too, I got it like that when I purchased it.

atdeneve
07-27-12, 08:41 AM
Pretty sure that's a V with a 5-lug conversion, not a V6. While I like the satin look, the missing lower grill and fogs looks pretty rough to me. I don't know that I'd pick that car as an example of tasteful modification.

If I recall correctly, it's a base V6 CTS with a V grille. It has the base side skirts, rear bumper and mufflers.

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 06:02 PM
If I recall correctly, it's a base V6 CTS with a V grille. It has the base side skirts, rear bumper and mufflers.With drag radials?

atdeneve
07-29-12, 07:30 PM
With drag radials?

Not talking about the silver V with the Camaro front wheels and rear drag radials. He was referring to the satin black car (post #39)...

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 10:53 PM
hmm...

GDPossehl
08-01-12, 12:06 PM
If I recall correctly, it's a base V6 CTS with a V grille. It has the base side skirts, rear bumper and mufflers.

It also has the brakes.

atdeneve
08-01-12, 07:23 PM
Yes indeed, it does have the V calipers.

Basically, regardless of the various smatterings of apparent V parts, it seems more logical to conclude that it is indeed a base V6 CTS that someone went through some effort into trying to outwardly transform into a V homologue, since, although such a practice is not all too uncommon among base V6 CTS owners, it is rather rare that a V owner would put forth any effort into outwardly transforming his or her V into a base V6 CTS homologue by installing base side skirts, rear bumper and mufflers.

The only time I can recall any V owners applying base V6 CTS-specific parts on a V was with the rear shocks, sacrificing handling performance in order to circumvent the rear self-leveling action of the FE4's Nivomats when lowering the vehicle, way back in the early days when the lowering options were not as complete and the Nivomat modifications were not yet exploited.

lollygagger8
08-02-12, 03:57 PM
Who's V is the silver one with drag radials? What has been done to it besides a 5 lug conversion, and what's it run in the 1/4?

2007ThunderV
08-02-12, 04:13 PM
pretty sure hes on ls1 tech, need mo powa, its got a procharged 402 in it,9 inch conversion, runs real good, i think car has broke into the tens

lollygagger8
08-06-12, 09:36 AM
pretty sure hes on ls1 tech, need mo powa, its got a procharged 402 in it,9 inch conversion, runs real good, i think car has broke into the tens

mother of god

Rakenjevnk
08-07-12, 12:13 PM
I like the wrap. Makes it more original and a little meaner. I would have kept the chrome grill but thats just me. Thanks for posting!

JhughesCTS
08-08-12, 01:36 AM
im going to paint my grille hood roof decklid and lisence plate area satin black, but by following the body lines. similar to the D3 v posted earlier in this thread

Mr.Tickles
08-10-12, 11:34 PM
Man, that looks so pimp. I'm really planning on doing mine in flat black when the time comes. Whats done to the headlights? I normally see people with tinted headlights and IMO they look dulled and crappy. I like the real glossy look of those.

Sorry for the delay, I've been Mr. Mom lately.
I had all of my lights painted. Nothing fancy (not VHT). Some ladies that do body work at a dealership near me painted them. I just ordered some wheels from True Forged, which will be black Satin.

Pho_phizzat
08-23-12, 07:11 PM
Looks very good

thebigjimsho
08-24-12, 12:06 AM
Who is this guy? Looking to remove PM restriction, ur something?

54inches
08-25-12, 07:55 PM

Disgrace:

If the OP wants to continue this matte black look, similar to the black satin V above, I think that's commendable. Otherwise, I recommend getting the hood repainted.

Jim, do you have an example? The D3 CTS-V2 Legionnaire makings were carefully selected to adhere to the lines of the car. I don't mind it.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/The-Legionnaire-by-D3-02.jpg

A similar DIY project that didn't have D3's funding, tooling, or experience:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/2tone.jpg

And this makes me want to vomit:

http://www.mitternachtproduction.com/images/newpaint1a.jpg

Agreed, agreed, agreed. On the DIY 2009+, they should have done the whole verticle trunk, but then again, I ooze style. lol