: small coolant drip where sensor mounts

eldoedwardo
07-02-12, 04:08 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have looked at alldatadiy but cannot find the part where the drip originates. It is on the even numbered side below the head about one inch. From the ( bottom looking up) it appears to be one of the threaded sensors ( upper one) just to the left (towards the passinger side) of the oil filter. It's not dripping real bad like in an hour there is a puddle, but I would like to investigate it.. It is not spraying just dripping.
thanks, ED

Submariner409
07-02-12, 05:51 PM
Picture................There aren't any sensors on the passenger side of the oil filter adapter. Just the alternator and oil level switch. The CKP's (CranKshaft Position sensors) are just on the driver's side of the filter adapter, on the block.

Coolant drip - does your car have a coolant-cooled alternator ?? Don't think so..........

Ranger
07-02-12, 09:58 PM
I think the '99's DID have a water cooled alternator.

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 02:00 AM
Northstar V8s were introduced with water cooled alternators as an aid for the electronically laden Cadillacs they powered. In the 2000 model year update, the water-cooled alternators were deleted in favor of simpler, less leak-prone, air cooled alternators.

Ranger
07-03-12, 12:12 PM
I don't think the water cooled alternators where introduced until about '99 (maybe '98). They where short lived and only lasted about 3 years.

eldoedwardo
07-03-12, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone,
After looking again it seems to be around the CKP sensor B. Is this something I should be concerned about asap? I generally drive around 50miles a day but if I choose to take a 300+ I dont want to replace it on the road. Do they leak then malfunction, or is it just a drip not to freak-out over, or is just something to keep an eye on? Will it run without that sensor working? If the sensor should malfunction woud it be wise to replace them both?
Thanks for the help. Also it isn't a water cooled alternator, it is a 'y' coded N* assembled in January of '99.
Have a great 4TH of July!!! America,America, MY HOME sweet home.

Ranger
07-03-12, 04:07 PM
CKP sensors don't usually leak, but even if it does, it won't leave you stranded. They just get intermittent (occasionally stall at a light, hard starting, and give a momentary power loss while driving). If you do change them, definitely do both, but the '99 is not known for failures like the 2000-2003's (just replaced mine).

No water cooled alternator on a '99? :hmm: Maybe because it is an Eldo vs Seville. :noidea:

Submariner409
07-03-12, 05:04 PM
CKP's use an O-ring as a seal - no pressure or stress to speak of. The weep will gradually get worse over time (long time) but it won't suddenly go. There's no coolant associated with a CKP.

IF one CKP went bad - totally bad, as in: sensing no trigger signal - then the PCM defaults the ignition to "limp home" mode. Timing goes static at 10 degrees BTDC, the engine will run OK but will lack power and feel unresponsive.

JoeTahoe
07-03-12, 05:20 PM
if I remember right there is no coolant around the crank sensors?? if it were a crank sensor o-ring it would be leaking oil

RippyPartsDept
07-03-12, 05:23 PM
Yeah my '99 deville doesn't have a water cooled alternator

JoeTahoe
07-03-12, 05:32 PM
my 99 seville sts does, but my friends 01 esc eldo does not

RippyPartsDept
07-03-12, 05:47 PM
Yeah i think only the seville ever had the cooled alternator

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 07:07 PM
My bad. I thought it applied across the board. Learn a little somethin' every day!

Ranger
07-03-12, 09:39 PM
I did as well. Basically the same engine in all the models. :noidea:

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 11:03 PM
Yup, that's what I was thinking. They do share a lot of parts, such as bumper shocks.

eldoedwardo
07-10-12, 01:36 PM
Hey Everyone, Now I'm stumped, none of the drops that made it to the floor look or feel oily e.g. trans fluid,steering fluid, or engine oil. It looks like it is condenses on the block above the sensor(not sprayed from, more like sprayed onto) and what ever doesn't dry quickly drips ,meaning it is slow. None in the last three days.
The fluid seems to look likeDex-cool dried on the engine (very small spot, the area of a dime) and wipes up like a water based liquid on the floor largest to date is 3/4--1 inch, mostly less than 1/2 inch. Weird huh?
Thanks to everyone that commented to my plea. Please keep layin' that knowledge on me, never too smart to learn something new! later Ed

CadillacLuke24
07-10-12, 04:03 PM
Is it chalky white? That's tell tale dried Dex.