: coil packs

benzn
07-01-12, 08:00 PM
When the coil packs go bad. Do you have to replace all of them or just the bad ones? I have been told that you have tto replace them all, but they sell them separate, Can someone please help me.

benzn
07-01-12, 08:02 PM
I have a 2006 sts 4.6 liter v8.

malatu
07-01-12, 10:21 PM
I have no clue, but it may be similar to purchasing shocks. You seldom replace just one. Usually you replace a pair. Spark plugs too.

MoistCabbage
07-02-12, 10:38 PM
No need to replace all of them. If they test good, leave them be.

Angus Young
07-03-12, 10:56 AM
When the coil packs go bad. Do you have to replace all of them or just the bad ones? I have been told that you have tto replace them all, but they sell them separate, Can someone please help me.

If you dont already have a spare coil pack, you will have to purchase a coil pack which comes on a rail, I purchased mine for under $250.00, if you have a code reader and know which coil is the problem you can just unplug the individual coil, use a star wrench on the one set screw, slide out the bad coil, remove a new coil from the rail you purchased, and install it, one thing to keep in mind,
the #1 coil is the passenger side front, somewhere in these posts someone posted a diagram that showed #1 was drivers side, which caused me confusion in resolving my issue, then you will have 3 spare coils left in case one coil from the other side fails, ohh and it will, Trust me. Autozone or Discount Auto tells you you have to purchase the whole side or rail.

Hope this helps!