: Traction control light comes on.

B1n2fra
07-01-12, 05:45 PM
At highway speeds above 60mph the traction control light comes on and goes off randomly. What could cause this?

dkozloski
07-01-12, 06:14 PM
You might have tires and wheel swapped somewhere. The front and rear rims and tires are different sizes and mixups are very common. See the tag on your doorpost to find out what they should be.

B1n2fra
07-01-12, 07:03 PM
I've replaced my tires with the same size all the way around and with the factory setup even though the tires are different sizes they are the same diameter around so that could not be the problem. my car is awd

Subsailor613
07-01-12, 08:52 PM
The Tire "diameter" is NOT necessarily indicative of the Circumference.
This is called in tire language (Revs per mile).
In your case all your tires should have the same Revs per mile, to be the same.
Tirerack.com has a lot of "specs"on a lot of tires, including Revs per mile.
Are all your rims the same size ?
Good Luck. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

eatyoursandwich
07-02-12, 12:48 PM
I've replaced my tires with the same size all the way around and with the factory setup even though the tires are different sizes they are the same diameter around so that could not be the problem. my car is awd

If you have an AWD car, your tires should be the exact same sizes unless the manufacturer for some reason uses a Haldex differential that's designed to accept different tire and wheel sizes.

I don't think this has anything to do with the traction control light though. Mine comes on about once about a month and from what I understand, it can come on for the same reason the TPMS will throw an error and go away for no reason, just over-sensitive sensors (alliteration).

I'm sure there is a more technical explanation, it just hasn't bothered me enough to really dig into it, but you should really make sure your tire sizes are the same. It's not going to destroy your diff, just may cause premature failure.

dkozloski
07-02-12, 04:02 PM
If you have an AWD car, your tires should be the exact same sizes unless the manufacturer for some reason uses a Haldex differential that's designed to accept different tire and wheel sizes.

I don't think this has anything to do with the traction control light though. Mine comes on about once about a month and from what I understand, it can come on for the same reason the TPMS will throw an error and go away for no reason, just over-sensitive sensors (alliteration).

I'm sure there is a more technical explanation, it just hasn't bothered me enough to really dig into it, but you should really make sure your tire sizes are the same. It's not going to destroy your diff, just may cause premature failure. The AWD STS is shipped in some trims with staggered tire and wheel sizes front and rear. The combinations chosen have very nearly the same rolling diameter and the rest of the differences are accommodated by all three differentials being entirely open with no limited slip other than TC. Front tires on rear wheels or rear tires on front wheels may result in enough difference to trigger a sensitive TC system.

B1n2fra
07-02-12, 07:00 PM
Traction control light comes on and stay on as if the button was pressed and the system was off. And the staggered wheels are just the tires.the rims are all the same exact size. The tires in the rear are slightly wider. But they have the same circumference/diameter or rolling diameter.

valjan1
07-02-12, 07:37 PM
i have a sts4 v8 2005 when i bought it it had 235/55/18 in th front and 255/45/18 in the rear i changed it for 4- 255/45/18 and i did not change nothing because this model comes this way too.

dkozloski
07-02-12, 08:21 PM
My wheels are 7.5" wide in the front and 8" wide in the rear. The width dimension is cast into the inside of the spokes. Bet you that your tires are installed on the wheels randomly.

B1n2fra
07-03-12, 08:09 PM
Would a bad wheel hub cause something like this. Only thing that I could think of. Tires and wheels are not the problem.

EChas3
07-03-12, 08:22 PM
It's more likely to be a marginal wheel-speed sensor. Do you ever get an ABS light or issue?

A scan with a full-featured tool (body codes) might tell volumes.

B1n2fra
07-03-12, 11:29 PM
No abs light just traction control light.

EChas3
07-04-12, 02:10 PM
Is this under acceleration at low speed/ when turning? The OEM Michelins will slip easier than you think. What tires & miles do you have?

B1n2fra
07-04-12, 06:41 PM
Only at highway speeds 50 and above. it comes on for for a few minutes then goes off at random. On and off for a few minutes at a time. I was thinking wheel hub or the front differential.