: Black Ice-Olater Tip

Michael_atDell
06-30-12, 10:39 PM
When I installed my Black Ice-Olater, I didn't purchase an additional gasket as I intended. I wasn't all that impressed with the product, to be honest. I didn't post anything negative, because my intake was considerably cooler, but I wondered; where's the 20-25 HP gain? The thing about 20-25 HP is you can feel it; I didn't.

However, since I wrecked Kate, I've made too many trips to the Cadillac dealer here in town (and spent too much money) and while I was there yesterday picking up a bunch of parts, I asked if they had a gasket in stock. Well, they did; so after I finished installing new rockers, rear bumper, and lower grill today, I slapped the new gasket on top of the Black Ice-Olater (that's the original one on bottom with the top "knobs" cut off, the Black Ice-Olater in the middle and the new gasket on top with the bottom two alignment "sticks" filed down. HOLY SHIT! I can definitely feel 20-25 HP now!

Bottom line, if you used your original gasket like the instructions said and then used Permatex on the top, go spend $43 and buy a new gasket for the top and file down the bottom "sticks" and put it on top of the Black Ice-Olater (don't need Permatex).

You're welcome!

RCVW
07-02-12, 05:24 AM
I have an '04 3.6 with the Black Iceolator also and ran OEM gaskets on the top AND bottom...should be the only way to go with this mod.

tinman
07-02-12, 02:21 PM
What prompted you to go with the OEM gasket? Just a random "What the hell" moment while at the dealer?

Michael_atDell
07-02-12, 06:37 PM
I originally intended to, but didn't. I had actually forgotten about it until I walk up to the parts counter that day.

Kenny9123
07-05-12, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the post! I was on the fence about buying the iceolator because of a few negative reviews. After reading this. It's a sure thing to get it :)