: Own an older jet ski? Govt just screwed you!

Koooop
06-30-12, 10:19 PM
This is from the national park service website for lake powell
(3) After December 31, 2012, no one may operate a PWC that does not meet the 2006 emission standards set by EPA for the manufacturing of two-stroke engines. A person operating a PWC that meets the EPA 2006 emission standards through the use of direct injection two-stroke or four-stroke engines, or the equivalent thereof, is not subject to this prohibition and will be allowed to operate as described in this section.

77CDV
06-30-12, 10:27 PM
And how do they intend to enforce this little gem? Will they be doing smog checks dockside? Methinks I smell a lawsuit in the offing....

Koooop
07-01-12, 12:45 AM
Your vessel is subject to inspection at any time. It's no more difficult to distinguish a 10 year old jet ski than a 10 year old Cadillac.

CadillacLuke24
07-01-12, 02:23 AM
The EPA is so irritating. It's like all the condescending Prius driving chumps formed their own club and kissed enough govt. ass to get funding. Go figure.

dkozloski
07-01-12, 02:28 AM
This is old news. The sticker is that you have to prove that your machine meets specs. They don't have to proove that it doesn't.

Koooop
07-01-12, 11:46 AM
The fact that EPA has been trying to implement this is old news.

The fact that they ARE implementing it is new. This information was not on the National Park Service website last summer, now it is. I searched for this "little gem" and could not find it 15 months ago, it was buried and I couldn't find it anywhere. Good thing I bought 2007 4 stroke jet skis, it would have really sucked to have thrown away $10,000+ on a pair of slightly older Yamaha 1300's that might be useless on all of the waterways that I like to use.

2 stroke outboard motors without direct injection are next, this has been in the works since at least 2000 that I know of.

This applies to Federal waterways, it's not a stretch to see this applying to the entrance and exits from a harbor to the ocean as so many of those are Federal waterways.

The EPA has unlimited power and they know it.

Koz, your house in next. A government inspection and an energy rating sticker for your home is coming soon. Those of us with older homes are going to have to spend huge amounts of money bringing our homes up to standard.

Aron9000
07-01-12, 03:29 PM
This is complete horseshit for people with older jetski's. Its not like there are tens of millions of older model jetski's getting driven 30 miles a day to work. The amount of pollution they make has to be virtually zero when compared to stuff like auto exhaust, factories, coal burning power plants(the biggest polluters in this country by far). I can't tell you how many billy-bob types have cut the cat converters off their trucks/cars because 3/4 of this country doesn't require any form of emission testing.

I also wonder if it isn't a conspicracy between jet ski manufacturers and the government to get people to buy new jet ski's.

orconn
07-01-12, 03:51 PM
Don't know if it is conspiracy, but I am sure the PWC makers are not objecting! I am curious, are there the same kind of polution regs for three and four wheeled off road vehicles and what about snowmobiles (snow machines for Koz)?

Submariner409
07-01-12, 03:58 PM
The entire two-stroke engine design has been under greenie attacks for years. Not long after it all began, Johnson had severe problems with their early VRO (Variable Ratio Oiling) outboards and the problems have never stopped.

talismandave
07-01-12, 09:27 PM
I sell Toro and Lawn Boy and there is no more 2 cycle mowers or blowers anymore. Which means Lawn Boys are just green Toros now.

EcSTSatic
07-02-12, 08:19 AM
In the boating world some lakes don't allow 2-strokes period. My 9.9 Merc on my sailboat is a 2-stroke. It's light and powerful, but my next motor will be a 4-stroke in anticipation of things to come (and I probably won't be able to find a 2-stroke).

bigm57ict
07-02-12, 11:17 AM
Funny you mention those two.

My last lawnmower was a lawnboy. I really liked how lightweight and simple it was. When shopping for a new one, I learned they don't make a 2-stroke anymore, so I bought a Toro. :)

brandondeleo
07-02-12, 11:28 AM
We just bought a new mower... It's nice. Our old one's ride height selector thing snapped right off. Instant lowrider lawnmower. I believe it's a Troy-Bilt.

Submariner409
07-02-12, 11:55 AM
I needed a new leaf blower - back packer - a couple of years ago. Lowe's had a sale on TroyBilt 4-cycle blowers. Best damn leaf blower I have ever used - powerful, relatively quiet, and runs on straight 87. Takes 3.5 ounces of 30W and you'll need to change it every 6 hours or so for the first 50 - lots of break-in metal dust suspended in the oil after a couple hours' work - and the thing burns NO gas - really - a 16 oz. tank lasts for hours. You would never believe a leaf blower would be so easy to start - one pull out of the box and every time since, winter or summer. #TB4BP

talismandave
07-02-12, 10:31 PM
We still have a couple of two cycle snowblowers from 2 years ago. If it looks like my folks will be in their house a while longer I think I will grab one in fall. The 4 cycle is quieter and more powerful, but, the 2 cycle has been around for decades and is "abuse-proof".
The 4 cycle is about a 4 or 5 year old engine and we had some recalls on them the first year. Just not a proven commodity. May be the best ever, but I figure why chance it on a $400.00 item. A leaf blower I'd take a chance on for the money.:yup:

Ranger
07-02-12, 10:37 PM
Don't know if it is conspiracy, but I am sure the PWC makers are not objecting! I am curious, are there the same kind of polution regs for three and four wheeled off road vehicles and what about snowmobiles (snow machines for Koz)?
I see more and more 4 strokers on the trails every year. Not sure if they are even making 2 strokers anymore, but if they are, they are a dying breed. Those 4 strokers sure are quiet though. They can sneak right up on you before you even know they are there.

dkozloski
07-02-12, 10:39 PM
The fact that EPA has been trying to implement this is old news.

The fact that they ARE implementing it is new. This information was not on the National Park Service website last summer, now it is. I searched for this "little gem" and could not find it 15 months ago, it was buried and I couldn't find it anywhere. Good thing I bought 2007 4 stroke jet skis, it would have really sucked to have thrown away $10,000+ on a pair of slightly older Yamaha 1300's that might be useless on all of the waterways that I like to use.

2 stroke outboard motors without direct injection are next, this has been in the works since at least 2000 that I know of.

This applies to Federal waterways, it's not a stretch to see this applying to the entrance and exits from a harbor to the ocean as so many of those are Federal waterways.

The EPA has unlimited power and they know it.

Koz, your house in next. A government inspection and an energy rating sticker for your home is coming soon. Those of us with older homes are going to have to spend huge amounts of money bringing our homes up to standard. Around here, if you don't have an energy star home you'll either freeze to death or go broke trying to heat it in -50F weather.

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 03:17 AM
Around here, if you don't have an energy star home you'll either freeze to death or go broke trying to heat it in -50F weather.

If you have an oven that will accomodate heater-style flames, we should find ya some EPA reg manuals, Prius manuals, and green magazines and build a bonfire. Just steal half of SanFran's recyclables :histeric: