: Paraffin impregnated dusters

rand49er
06-30-12, 05:42 PM
They claim that the dirtier they get the better they work. I'm thinking ... r-r-i-i-i-ght.

There are instructions (http://www.ehow.com/how_5972201_clean-california-duster.html) to actually wash them using cool water and mild laundry detergent when they get really nasty, but I'm wondering how many actually use these things and have you ever washed one of these. Did it work?

Looks dirty, and I'm worried about scratching the paint ...

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/DSC_0168.jpg

EdmundGTP
06-30-12, 11:13 PM
If you were THAT worried about how much that duster may scratch your clear coat, then you wouldnt be resting the plastic handle and the plastic bag on top of your trunk like that.

There is also a "proper" way to use those dusters so that the threads are least likely to do any damage.

Read this thread. http://www.chicagoz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29118

I have one and use one. It is designated for the V only; it touches no other cars. Haven't cleaned it in over 2.5 years and it works just fine, using a method similar to that other guy's.

thebigjimsho
07-01-12, 01:52 AM
If your car is uber-perfect, I probably wouldn't use it. But it will keep a nicely clean car looking great.

rand49er
07-01-12, 09:19 AM
If you were THAT worried about how much that duster may scratch your clear coat, then you wouldnt be resting the plastic handle and the plastic bag on top of your trunk like that.

There is also a "proper" way to use those dusters so that the threads are least likely to do any damage.

Read this thread. http://www.chicagoz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29118

I have one and use one. It is designated for the V only; it touches no other cars. Haven't cleaned it in over 2.5 years and it works just fine, using a method similar to that other guy's.Two interesting points in that link. One is doing the dusting lightly in one direction only ... I assume to limit swirl marks, and scratches if any would be in a straight-line fashion. The other is the use of Zaino Z8 afterward to provide a surface less accommodating to dust.

Another obvious solution is to just throw the dang thing away when it gets a bit of dust on it and buy a new one. Lord knows I can drop $15 on a lot of other wasteful stuff, and it's not really a lot in the big picture.

As far as the handle being placed on the car, believe me it was done so gently that no injury occurred. My son's activities (basketball, bicycle parking, etc) around my car are far more worrisome.

rand49er
07-01-12, 09:22 AM
If your car is uber-perfect, I probably wouldn't use it. But it will keep a nicely clean car looking great.I must admit, my paint does look good for a 7-1/2-year-old car, but I don't want to wash it every time it starts showing a bit of dust. Putting a cover on it helps with the dust, but pulling it on and off the car has to induce scratches as well, so isn't the best solution.

Guess I'm just going to have to get a new car some day. :D

2007ThunderV
07-01-12, 11:21 AM
i used to use those dusters until i invested in a Swirl Finder Spotlight, it is virtually impossible to no put light hollagrams in your clear coat using those dusters.

i use a real top quality mircofiber cloth(like a cobra supreme) and lightly dust each panel separatley. i used prob 4-5 mirco fiber towels to dust the car once.
(geneally used 1 for the hood, 1 for the trunk and roof, 1 for the doors above the mouilding, and 2 for below the door mouldings/quarters) takes a bit longer but no swils whats so ever. considering the amount of time to do a proper paint correction, its well worth the time.
i keep 30-40 microfibres in my detailing cabinet, and just throw em in the wash once i am runnin low of clean ones.

2007ThunderV
07-01-12, 11:24 AM
I must admit, my paint does look good for a 7-1/2-year-old car, but I don't want to wash it every time it starts showing a bit of dust. Putting a cover on it helps with the dust, but pulling it on and off the car has to induce scratches as well, so isn't the best solution.

Guess I'm just going to have to get a new car some day. :D
most of the new cars on the dealers lot require full paint corrections from all the lot guys/sales rep washing them with shitty mits! hard to find a bran new car with nice paint on it, unless you happen to get one that literlally just came off the truck and no one has washed.

AAIIIC
07-02-12, 03:07 AM
I use one and have never washed it, although it doesn't look as dirty as yours does. I don't use it all that frequently.

I only look at my car with my eyeballs, so if I have microscopic swirls that would become visible if I used a spotlight I guess I can live with that. :rolleyes:

GDPossehl
07-06-12, 04:19 PM
most of the new cars on the dealers lot require full paint corrections from all the lot guys/sales rep washing them with shitty mits! hard to find a bran new car with nice paint on it, unless you happen to get one that literlally just came off the truck and no one has washed.

Sometimes it's the ones fresh off the trucks that need the most paint correction. I worked alongside a high quality boutique dealership's detailer for about a year and learned a lot about even brand new paint after the plastic had been peeled off. Some hoods would even require a wool padded buffer straight away.