: how to change spark plugs on a 2007 STS Northstar V8?

STS-4000
06-30-12, 02:03 PM
hey guys i just bought a 2007 STS-4 V8 two weeks ago and i wanted to know how to change the spark plugs, from my understanding the Northstar V8 is a dual overhead cam engine, which means the spark plugs are located in the center of the vavle covers. the only thing that concerns me is that there is this plastic cover that sits right above the vavle covers and the coil packs (or whatever those thing are called, not sure if they are called coil packs lol) i just wanted to know how to remove that plastic cover without ripping or breaking anything. i'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this one.

thanks.

dkozloski
06-30-12, 05:00 PM
You're should get either the Factory Service Manuals from www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) or a subscription from www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com). To get the beauty cover off you take off the engine oil and power steering reservoir caps, grab hold, give it a yank. The OEM plugs are good for at least 100,000 miles and should only be relaced by OEM plugs or you'll be sorry.

EChas3
07-01-12, 12:27 AM
^^^^ Good advice.

I know you want to make sure your new car is serviced properly. Resist the temptation to play with your new toy. Leave well-enough alone unless it is really due.

STS-4000
07-03-12, 11:27 AM
haha! thanks guys, i'm just trying learn as much as i can before i need to start servicing my own vehicle.

speedey110
08-19-12, 02:23 PM
hey guys i just bought a 2007 STS-4 V8 two weeks ago and i wanted to know how to change the spark plugs, from my understanding the Northstar V8 is a dual overhead cam engine, which means the spark plugs are located in the center of the vavle covers. the only thing that concerns me is that there is this plastic cover that sits right above the vavle covers and the coil packs (or whatever those thing are called, not sure if they are called coil packs lol) i just wanted to know how to remove that plastic cover without ripping or breaking anything. i'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this one.

thanks.

okay, so how did you determine which spark plug is what....i have a number 6 bad and trying to find a diagram to tell me which one is 6...they too expensive to just change all of them out????

scott9001
08-19-12, 03:52 PM
you should take it into a shop and have it diagnosed before you just start throwing parts at it! it might cost you 60 bucks to have them diagnose it, then it be a coil and you just spent 60 on plugs then your kind of even and have to put a coil on it if you know what i mean. like hell it could be a bad injector or anything dont just throw parts at it.

1BadCadSTS
08-19-12, 09:02 PM
N* even are drivers side odd pass side.

Charles Warren
08-19-12, 11:31 PM
Blow area with airgun before you take coil on plug thingy off and do 1 side at a time and disconnect harness toward firewall and youll figure out how the rest goes, if not ask again before messing it up