: Safe transmission temp range?

tony abbott
06-30-12, 10:42 AM
Hoping someone in this forum who tows can answer this. I have a 2011 EXT and recently towed a 4000 lb trailer through a mountain pass where the outside temp was about 75 degrees. I watched the trans temp through the DIC go from the 70 degree range to 100. The owners manual says normal range goes to 93 degrees - but without the old analog gauges with the orange and red lines - what temp is excessive? Called Onstar who put me through to a service manager and he didn't know, but suggested I not exceed 105 degrees.
Anyone out there know at what temp I should pull over and cool down to protect the transmission? ....thanks.

K9Caddy
06-30-12, 01:09 PM
Trans temps can reach 200+, no problems...

tony abbott
06-30-12, 11:51 PM
Sorry - should have mentioned - Canadian here - that's 100 degrees Celsius my trans hit - or 212 Fahrenheit.

hcvone
07-02-12, 07:33 AM
I have pulled trailers thru the mountains and saw 250 plus trans temps for a short times, it was 100 degrees out at the time, you have synthetic trans oil so there should be no issues, we tested my trans oil after and there was no damage to the oil, I still changed it and installed a larger trans cooler, because that Escalade and one other I owned made the cross country trip several times because I owned a place in Montana at the time. If you do this a lot you may want to look into a larger trans coolor if towing often, once and a while stock is fine

tony abbott
07-02-12, 04:27 PM
Thanks very much Carl. All good to know based on your extensive experience with these trucks.

Nice Ride
07-02-12, 08:15 PM
I have a 09 esv. Outside temp was 98, tran temp went up to 205. Just driving in stop & go traffic. I'm sure standard temp is at least 145 to 175.

Nice Ride
07-02-12, 08:16 PM
I have pulled trailers thru the mountains and saw 250 plus trans temps for a short times, it was 100 degrees out at the time, you have synthetic trans oil so there should be no issues, we tested my trans oil after and there was no damage to the oil, I still changed it and installed a larger trans cooler, because that Escalade and one other I owned made the cross country trip several times because I owned a place in Montana at the time. If you do this a lot you may want to look into a larger trans coolor if towing often, once and a while stock is fine

How much of a difference did you see if any?

07maralade
07-05-12, 01:33 AM
I've hit 100C in stop and go traffic when it was a blizzard outside. Just made my heater hotter

clark13
07-05-12, 07:37 AM
Performance tranny oil coolers aren't too expensive if you wanted to swap those out, other than that I think, maybe royal purple may make some additive that keeps your tranny cooler, but im like 48.7% sure lol, it may be another brand or there may not be an additive.

Dodge Performance Chip (http://www.engineperformancechip.com/dodge-performance-chip-c-8)