: Engine Rev

maiahsdad
06-29-12, 03:12 PM
Here lately, after the car has sit overnight or all day, when I start it up, it revs high for a split second and it sounds like something's knocking. Then it smoothes out in a split second as well. Scares me to death. Almost like I'm starting it with no oil in it.

It hasn't been revving up this high at initial startup normally.

Ideas? Solutions?

1BadCadSTS
06-29-12, 05:02 PM
Vvt normal

maiahsdad
06-29-12, 05:19 PM
Then I wonder why it hasn't revved that high in the past? Sounds like something is going to break apart in there.

maiahsdad
07-12-12, 07:17 AM
This thing is really worrying me. When my car sits the entire day and I get back in it after work, when I start up, I hear that sound of slapping as if Raunser knocking or something like that. This can't be good. And it only happens for about two seconds and it's over as if oil is now circulating where it wasn't before. It hasn't happened since I purchased the car, so if it's normal, I'm not understanding why it's happening now, and not since buying the vehicle.

STS-FSU
07-12-12, 06:33 PM
I have an 05 STS V8 that does the same thing. I've had the car for almost a year now and have noticed when the car sits for extended periods of time it rattles bad on start up for a split second. It also does it when it is cold outside. However, today after work I hopped into my car and it did it again but this time it was accompanied by a whining noise. I let the engine warm up however the whine never went away. The noise increases with the rpms. Not sure what is going on and if the issues are related. Any help would be appreciated!

EChas3
07-12-12, 09:57 PM
The whine is likely a belt tensioner or alternator. Use the old hose trick to find out.

Take a 2 foot length of old hose and put one ende to your ear. Try the other end near various components, listening for the sound in question.

For N* rattles, just drive it like you stole it.

curtc
07-12-12, 10:05 PM
Have you checked the oil level?

maiahsdad
07-14-12, 02:30 AM
Have you checked the oil level?

That's one thing that's hard for me to understand how to check. Stick is hard to read. I just try to always make sure that darker area that looks like xxxxxx is full.

EChas3
07-14-12, 07:18 PM
Clean oil is harder to see but it's not all that hard with good light. If oil covers the cross-hatching, you're good to go. Just drive it.

If it really bothers you, go to a Cadillac dealer with an active service department and ask their opinion. They shouldn't charge you to say, "They all do that." Some do - my wifes 2007. Mine doesn't.