: Window Tint - what do you have?

fivepix
06-28-12, 10:51 PM
I believe stock windows are 20% have you guys gone darker?

When I got my front windows done I think they did 20% to match the rears. I think they still look too light and I'm think i might want to go darker.

Someone told me that I could try 15% on the front even though it's darker the light coming in front the front windshield will make it match the rear, has anyone done this?

I definitely don't want 5% tint but something I'd like to know what y'all have.

murphy
06-29-12, 12:33 AM
Not sure what % but good enough for 2 $57 tickets so far :( Matches rear

http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v44/p564982195-6.jpg

Rich909
06-29-12, 12:36 AM
I have 5% (Limo) Suntek Carbon Series all around and 70% Carbon on front windshield that looks transparent like there is no window tint there but have the benefits of having the windshield tinted. With the rear being tinted already from the factory you can see slightly through the front 2 windows.

MrHolland
06-29-12, 03:07 AM
15 on the front and on the rear over the factory tint
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Mrholland55/Escalade/20120506_155112.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Mrholland55/20120303_141545.jpg

Then windows are so large that they let a lot of light in. I wish my front windows were a little darker.

uflj50
06-29-12, 07:56 AM
You can use 15 on the fronts and 20 on the rear and they will end up matching. I like the huper optik film, very nice, ceramic coated and polarized.

MrHolland
06-29-12, 08:02 AM
Now that you mentioned it, I'm sure that's what's on mine, 15 front and 20 over 20 on the rear.

fivepix
06-29-12, 09:03 AM
@uflj50 - When you say 20% on the rear you mean you left the factory tint as is and just added 15% tint on the two front windows right?

@murphy I've seen other pics of your truck and yes that is nice tint hard to see in, I get stopped by cops all the time I don't think I need another excuse for them to pull me over ;)

With my previous Escalade I forgot what % tint they added to my front windows but for some reason it looked a lot darker than my new one. I'm not sure if it was because the truck was white so the contrast was a lot higher. However I do feel like the factory tint on my 2011 is slightly lighter than my 2007 but again it might be just my eyes playing tricks on me.

Have any of you guys added a tinted strip across the top of your windshields I don't know if I like that but it might help darken the cabin a bit more.

felixgun
06-29-12, 12:37 PM
I did 5% on the front windows and 15% over the factory tinted rear windows. The tint place said it would match the front perfectly if I did that and they were definitely right!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/felixgun/2007%20Cadillac%20Escalade/IMG_2835.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/felixgun/2007%20Cadillac%20Escalade/IMG_2838.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/felixgun/2007%20Cadillac%20Escalade/IMG_2839.jpg

Hymak
06-29-12, 01:47 PM
I went with 20% up front and left the back as they were. I have used 5% on all my trucks in the past... but it made backing up at night so dang hard... even worse in the rain! I'm glad I went with 20% it looks clean and cuts the sun just enough.

fivepix
06-29-12, 03:26 PM
Here is what it looks like:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/175/photo2copybq.jpg

It's a sunny day today and as you can see not much privacy.

escalade kidd
06-29-12, 04:10 PM
I did 30 on the rear and it matches pretty good..have had tint on all my vehicles since 1993 and never got pulled over once..the cops just hate when they cant see in at all and i dont blame them. if i get pulled over i open all the windows so they can see in. one time for inspection i left the passenger side closed with the tint removed and driver side down with tint. they never asked me close drivers window so all i needed to do is retint the passenger window.

gmercedesbenz
06-29-12, 07:46 PM
So I know this isn't "my" section but I figured since the topic is tinting you guys might let it slide :hide:

If not, I apologize in advance. :duck:

Someone told me that I could try 15% on the front even though it's darker the light coming in front the front windshield will make it match the rear, has anyone done this?

I have!

I did 14% on my front windows to match the factory 20% on the rears. The 14% actually works out well because like you said, it compensates for the extra light that comes in through the windshield and sunroof, keeping it as closely matched as possible. I've been stopped once for it, but thankfully I've got the medical waiver. :contract:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3029/tinth.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/tinth.jpg/)

Nice Ride
06-29-12, 10:53 PM
Question, I had front tinted to match the factory rear. One thing I don't like is when you look out from inside, the rear windows are Chrystal clear, the aftermarket tint looks like a haze from the film. Are there different types of tint? I would like it to be clear like the factory. Is this possible?

BEarle
06-30-12, 09:05 AM
I had 20% on mine. I got pulled over twice and got written up for $250.00 each time which is a moving violation here in MA that means insurance goes up etc and you have a risk of losing your license. I fought each ticket and won and I just lighten the tint up to the legal 35%. it wasn't worth the aggravation.....

gmercedesbenz
06-30-12, 09:38 AM
I had 20% on mine. I got pulled over twice and got written up for $250.00 each time which is a moving violation here in MA that means insurance goes up etc and you have a risk of losing your license. I fought each ticket and won and I just lighten the tint up to the legal 35%. it wasn't worth the aggravation.....

Window tinting is a moving violation in MA? That's insane. :anibs:

I'm sorry to hear that. Here in VA the legal limit for fronts is 50% on cars and MPVs or you can get the waiver. Back windows are unregulated. We also luck out because all equipment violations here are secondary offenses and not moving violations, meaning the officer cannot stop you just for tinting or whatever. You have to be speeding/weaving/blow a red light etc. for them to stop you and then they can ticket you for b.s. stuff. Equipment issues here are luxury taxes.

What if the car you're driving with the "illegal" tint isn't yours? Couldn't you focus more on the dude doing 90 going by us instead of my windows? Excuse me for wanting to keep my leather and skin protected from the sun or for wanting to deter thieves since the Escalade is the most stolen car in America. (Or at least it was recently)

Now before I get to far into this, know that I have immediate family in law enforcement and I understand/agree with the officer safety argument. However, if that is the concern, then why don't they just make a law which states that when an officer approaches your vehicle, you must roll down your front windows? That should probably be a law anyway, then you would at least have a better idea of who is really trying to hide something.

Sorry I'll get off the soapbox now lol :protest:

bstiffmanofsteel
06-30-12, 11:26 AM
You have to realize that tickets are just revenue for them. It's easier to write this Escalade a ticket than chase down real crooks.
Here in Illinois 50% is legal in the front. I have 35% on my cars but 2 years ago you couldn't tint the front windows at all, so I did 5% on the rear over the factory tint which darkened the interior nicely!

BEarle
06-30-12, 11:32 AM
My friend bought a Porsche panorama recently and tinted the windows, the next day he gets pulled over and got a $1200.00 ticket. The cop ticketed by the window.

fivepix
06-30-12, 07:37 PM
Question, I had front tinted to match the factory rear. One thing I don't like is when you look out from inside, the rear windows are Chrystal clear, the aftermarket tint looks like a haze from the film. Are there different types of tint? I would like it to be clear like the factory. Is this possible?

My tint is as clear as the factory you might have a poorly installed tint? Have you used any products to clean your windows if you have that might have damage the film?

Nice Ride
06-30-12, 09:35 PM
My tint is as clear as the factory you might have a poorly installed tint? Have you used any products to clean your windows if you have that might have damage the film?

Nothing used to damage tint. The test is look out into bright light from inside. Factory is crystal clear, front tint has a haze best way to describe it. Both leaf and right are identical. Are there different types of tint? The factory tint is in the glass, could it be the thin film of adhesive that's on the tint?

bstiffmanofsteel
06-30-12, 09:37 PM
my friend bought a porsche panorama recently and tinted the windows, the next day he gets pulled over and got a $1200.00 ticket. The cop ticketed by the window.
$1200!?! Wow!

felixgun
06-30-12, 09:37 PM
My friend bought a Porsche panorama recently and tinted the windows, the next day he gets pulled over and got a $1200.00 ticket. The cop ticketed by the window.

Wait a $1200 ticket for tint?!

ESCALADE132
06-30-12, 11:08 PM
I'm a Deputy Sheriff and I drive a Escalade and I have my windows tinted but you are still able to see inside. It's hard for civilians to understand about the tint but if you were out on the streets and in a bad neighborhood and you make a traffic stop you have no idea what's going on inside the vehicle or what they might have in there. Trust me if they had a law stating you had to roll down your windows when you were pulled over no one would do it , there's no common sense in people anymore !

ESCALADE132
06-30-12, 11:09 PM
Oh and by the way there's no way in the world anyone got a ticket for $1200 for tint, no way possible

BEarle
07-01-12, 01:11 PM
Trust me it's possible here in MA I had a friend get a $1200.00 for his CLS500 also. I can understand why cops don't like it because of safety reasons etc. BUT don't take this wrong when I say this but if your driving a $75k SUV and a $100k Porsche or Benz and get pulled over chances are they are not going to whip out a gun and shoot a officer. It could happen but slim chances and I don't mean to sound like a dick.......

fivepix
07-01-12, 07:36 PM
Nothing used to damage tint. The test is look out into bright light from inside. Factory is crystal clear, front tint has a haze best way to describe it. Both leaf and right are identical. Are there different types of tint? The factory tint is in the glass, could it be the thin film of adhesive that's on the tint?

Yes there are many different types of tint films out there, you should not see a haze might have a defect or poorly installed tint take it to a professional to have it checked.

Nice Ride
07-02-12, 01:08 AM
Thanks, will ask the tint shop soon. Job was only done 5 months ago..

hcvone
07-02-12, 06:26 AM
I had my doctor sign a PA form saying I need window tint, well want is more like it, and now if I get pulled over I show them the cert and nothing happens, I have to do this for each car/truck that is aftermarket tinted, never been pulled over since getting the state cert, go figure.

chewboy1
07-04-12, 08:44 AM
I have 15% up front & 15% over the factory tint in the rear. I've never had a problem with the police around here. Although, I have heard some stories about state troopers writing tickets & even scratching the front window tint so you pretty much have to remove it... I've tinted all I've my vehicles myself with 15% all the way around and never had any issues.

JHC828
07-05-12, 12:13 AM
I have 15% on the 2 front doors which matches the rear factory tint and 45% on the windshield which is just enough to take the glare off of everything. I would like to have 5% all the way around with 35% on the windshield but that only lasted about a week on my last car before I got a ticket. I believe the law where I am states 25% is the darkest for the front windows but the Escalade has such big windows that the 15% isn't that dark and you can still see in the vehicle.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/jhc_15_00/DSC_1230.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/jhc_15_00/DSC_1229.jpg

Bigplay
07-07-12, 05:11 PM
I have 5% on all side & rear windows and 15% on the moonroof which I love it keeps the truck cooler on the inside on them hot summer days. You can't see in the truck at all I got pull over on the highway about a month after I got it done because they could see the temp tag, the cop didn't say anything about the tint. They really don't bother about car tints here unless the cop just wants 2 be an azz.

uflj50
07-08-12, 08:19 AM
Ive been away for a while but looks like you pretty much covered all the bases as to the tint and options. I'll just a couple more. First, any new tint job will appear cloudy for a few days but should clear up. Exactly how many will depend on the thickness of the film, the temp and it is important to the leave the truck in the sun to cure. Not curing properly can cause a haze and any small bubbles to remain. Second, the rear doors are not tinted, it is actually smoked glass but you get the point. If you install a film over the "smoked glass" you will reduce the incoming light again by the % of tint coming in from the already resuced %, thats how you get the fronts and rears to even out and why you see everyone saying they use X% on the fronts and a different x% on the rear. Any good tint shop can talk to you about this and get it right. The film is what is important as much as the installer. Use a good quality tint, its not that much more expesive. Again I've user the Huber Optiks for several years and its great. Google them, you see how it works and get a list of "Authorized Dealers" in your area. Last, Look at the box the installer is getting the film from and make sure its what you are paying for.

gatorboy112
07-08-12, 04:57 PM

i have a 5% strip on the front windshield, and on all the other windows. it's pretty dang dark even during the day. cant really see in at all from the rear seats to the back.

48Dodge
07-09-12, 11:54 AM
Since it's been years since I tinted a car (Probably 15 years and it was a honda civic), what's the going rate these days for a nice job on all windows? I know prices will vary widely due to location, just wanted to see what I could expect.

MrHolland
07-09-12, 11:56 AM
Seems like mine was between 200 and 250 bones.

hcvone
07-09-12, 12:47 PM
Ive been away for a while but looks like you pretty much covered all the bases as to the tint and options. I'll just a couple more. First, any new tint job will appear cloudy for a few days but should clear up. Exactly how many will depend on the thickness of the film, the temp and it is important to the leave the truck in the sun to cure. Not curing properly can cause a haze and any small bubbles to remain. Second, the rear doors are not tinted, it is actually smoked glass but you get the point. If you install a film over the "smoked glass" you will reduce the incoming light again by the % of tint coming in from the already resuced %, thats how you get the fronts and rears to even out and why you see everyone saying they use X% on the fronts and a different x% on the rear. Any good tint shop can talk to you about this and get it right. The film is what is important as much as the installer. Use a good quality tint, its not that much more expesive. Again I've user the Huber Optiks for several years and its great. Google them, you see how it works and get a list of "Authorized Dealers" in your area. Last, Look at the box the installer is getting the film from and make sure its what you are paying for.

I used Huper Optik tint for years, now I use Johnsons tint now (they gave me a few rolls), they offer more "colors" to match factory tint better and it's only on my cars for a year or two, but you are correct it all about the installer, we see some real poor tint jobs even on high end cars.

Rustico
07-09-12, 02:13 PM
How about 3M color stable?

Bigplay
07-10-12, 04:55 PM
How about 3M color stable?I have 3m tint on my ride and it's great. I have it on my 05 STS & 12 Escalade. The tint on my STS still looks new, with no purple fade or anything like that, so I does last. btw I bought the car brand new had it tinted 2 days after purchase.

gatorboy112
07-11-12, 08:10 AM
I paid 160-180 for mine

mikemjohnson
07-11-12, 05:31 PM
Not a good picture, but I have 5% on front windows, 5% over factory 20% on rear, 35% on whole windshield with a 5% bar just below the AS1 line

http://i.imgur.com/KZnoNl.jpg

gatorboy112
07-16-12, 11:43 PM
are those the 'playa 514' wheels? what size wheel and tire is that?

Rustico
07-17-12, 11:02 AM

I just added 35% 3m Color stable tint up front driver and passenger windows. The prior owner had limo tint over the factory dipped and it was too dark for me.

Regency
07-21-12, 03:41 AM
Is it cool for me to reply even though I have a yukon?
3% all around
First pic is what it looks like behind the tint second is outside
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg598/Regencyyukon/IMG_0768-1.jpg
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg598/Regencyyukon/DSC_1464.jpg

lee88
07-21-12, 07:34 AM
Is it cool for me to reply even though I have a yukon?
3% all around
First pic is what it looks like behind the tint second is outside

Nice ride man-
I've always liked yukons!

Royalton
07-21-12, 01:08 PM
I have 5% added all around. You cant see inside at all. But I find myself having to roll down my front drivers side window all the time at night when I'm turning through intersections just so I make sure no one is in the crosswalks walking. I think i'm either going to change the front windows to 15% or add 35% on the front windshield. I think I'm having a harder time seeing at night out my front side windows because my eyes are adjusting to how bright everything comes through the front windshield, so then when I look out the side its harder because I'm used to seeing such bright lights out the front ....just a thought

Regency
07-21-12, 02:44 PM
Thanks bro

Royalton
07-23-12, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know if putting tint on front windshield could impair or mess with the rainsense wiper sensor at all? I'd like to do that but I don't want to loose or lessen the rain sense feature

Nice Ride
07-24-12, 09:39 AM
No problem as long as nothing is put in front of the sensor behind the mirror. :)

CamCo94
07-24-12, 10:32 AM
what do you guys recommend? i've got a 07 ESV i want the back side windows to be basically impossible to see through from the outside and i want the front to be pretty dark but not extremely dark, and i want the back window to still be pretty dark but still be able to see through from the inside out easily at night. and possibly like 35% for the windshield bc that seems to be a popular tint for the windhsield. and about how much (i know it will vary by location) will a full tint set cost for this to be installed?

mikemjohnson
07-30-12, 09:27 AM
are those the 'playa 514' wheels? what size wheel and tire is that?
boss 330
made in 'merica wheels 24x10 30 offset 305/35 tires

gdirty5
07-31-12, 09:11 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/disgookonfiya/d578cdc0.jpg

I have 20% wincos tint on the front two windows only, they are very good at blocking out the heat (has a slight bluish tint to it that blocks IR light along with UVA UVB). I like it so much im thinking about getting the rest of the windows done it 50% just for the heat blocking. I don't want it to be too dark considering I do a lot of night driving through bad neighborhoods.

rfishoutofwater
08-13-12, 12:44 AM
Here is mine. We had 20% on front driver/pass windows and 5% over factory from drivers back. Also had 5% on the sunroof and visor. ( the sunroof is awesome tinted)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd254/rfishoutofwater/963de546.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd254/rfishoutofwater/f2e60834.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd254/rfishoutofwater/1c79e076.jpg

48Dodge
08-14-12, 03:42 PM
Just got mine done today. 18% up front, 25% on all back windows, 5% on sunroof. Surprisingly very subtle difference from the inside during the day. Looks great from the outside. I may go in and get the windshield done soon. May just wait until next summer.

Royalton
08-14-12, 08:57 PM
ps I went w 70% vis on the front windshield and have to say i will now ALWAYS get this done in every vehicle. You cant tell its tinted but lets in a lot less heat and hurts my eyes less on really sunny days. zero affect on nighttime driving.... seriously get it it done you will become a believer like me too lol

tint shop had 80% 70% and 35% 80 was like nothing at all, and 35 i thought may affect nighttime driving so 70% was perfect for me. If they had a 60-50 i may consider that too

48Dodge
08-14-12, 10:06 PM
Just got back from driving (night) and really glad I didn't go any darker. Backing up would be nearly impossible without the camera. The place I got mine tinted has 2 types of film for the windshield. One reduces heat by 20% and the other by 40%. Several gradients of color. I think they have a 45. The guy has 35 on his windshield and says he loves it but I'm like you and I worry about it reducing vision too much.

lknox21
08-14-12, 11:35 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but is ceramic tint really the best at blocking the heat? I'm in North Dallas and the summers are brutal on black leather. I have a roll of 48" x 100' of 60% film and I'm debating on putting two layers all around.

Royalton
08-15-12, 11:55 AM
A high quality 15% vis tint should be in the mid 50% area of heat rejection. I've seen crap dyed films in the 30% area here is what I put on on you can see a comparison. 3M is also good
point is step up to the plate when you get tint. ceramic is worth it, I went with a carbon based film. Both options are high end and my car really does stay cool in the blazing summer heat.

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/SunTek_indv_SS_auto_comp_CXP.pdf

48Dodge
08-15-12, 12:40 PM
Suntek is the stuff I got installed. Carbon installed so far. Will probably go with the cxp for the windshield.

48Dodge
08-15-12, 03:43 PM
After driving around today I've decided to go ahead and get the windshield done. Also going to get them to put something a little lighter on the sunroof.

Poncherello
08-15-12, 07:53 PM
When I bought my ESV, which was originally a Florida truck, the fronts pretty much matched the rear side windows. I'm guessing that's somehwere around 35%.

fivepix
08-16-12, 07:53 PM
I decided to go back and and have my windows re-tinted from 20% to 5% all the way around (Minus the windshield not legal in my area but I wish I could).

I'll post pictures of the difference once I get it back tomorrow.

48Dodge
08-16-12, 08:44 PM
I decided to go back and and have my windows re-tinted from 20% to 5% all the way around (Minus the windshield not legal in my area but I wish I could).

I'll post pictures of the difference once I get it back tomorrow.

The windshield isn't legal anywhere. I'm still getting mine done. Also I doubt a lighter tint on the windshield would cause more attention than 5% all around. Is that legal where you live?

fivepix
08-17-12, 12:11 PM
I'm in Ontario Canada and I believe the Law is written weird they don't state a percent, it actually just says the window can't be covered by any objects or film. The officers must be able to see the persons in the vehicle.

I've talked to a few Tint places and they have all said 20% is what they consider to be legal but it could be up to the officers desecration.

I believe I had 5% on my previous truck (2007 Escalade) and I got pulled over all the time but never for my tint, it was always for "checking papers" and or "suspicious vehicle". Infact I've had cops just walk up to me to check my papers while I was parked in front of a store before, but that a different story for another day :)

fivepix
08-17-12, 05:58 PM
Just got my truck back here are the before and after:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1969/escaladetint.jpg

Dizzel
08-18-12, 08:33 AM
Also have 5% on front windows and 15% over factory rear. Looks same with the previous picture. Windshield not tinted at all.
But sometimes I need to open the front windows when parking at night.

franknitty69
05-06-13, 11:40 PM
so had to get my front (driver/passenger) tinted ripped out to pass inspection here in md. i got my tags and i want to put it back on and i don' t care what the limit here is.

i had to clean the residue off and the remnants of the flim. i wasn't sure if it was aftermarket or not.

so my question...is the factory a film or is the glass smoked? i'm asking because i want to know if i need to remove the film from the rear windows before i get the car tinted again.

murphy
05-06-13, 11:42 PM
The glass is colored from the factory

franknitty69
05-06-13, 11:53 PM
The glass is colored from the factory

thank you. so the fronts are clear and the rears are factory tinted? so a 15% front and 20%-30% rears tint should match?

murphy
05-07-13, 12:04 AM
thank you. so the fronts are clear and the rears are factory tinted? so a 15% front and 20%-30% rears tint should match?

Not certain but I don't think the fronts are completely clear

MrHolland
05-07-13, 12:20 AM
Hey!!!,,,,,Mr.M!!!! How ya been?? Hope all is well in your world!!

murphy
05-07-13, 12:36 AM
Hey Mr. H.
See you're a big wheel here now :)
Nice to have a good guy running things !
Been so busy with work and the zr1 has been getting priority lately.
Put a larger blower pulley on and that's about all the news with the lade for now ..

psuscott0483
05-07-13, 10:13 AM
5% windshield banner
5% front
20% rear
the fronts match the rears pretty good

David2008ESV
05-07-13, 06:57 PM
Instead of starting a brand new thread on tinting, I'm piling on here...hope that's okay.

Is there a way to fix small holes in the tint? I'm not sure how it happened but there's about an 1/8" round hole in the tint on the driver's side and I'd hate to pay for the whole thing to be removed and replaced if it can be repaired.

Thanks

David

Mark Edward Morrison
05-07-13, 07:09 PM
I know there are companies out there that make windshield tint but I was wondering if anyone had ever had theirs done to have an opinion? Likes, dislikes, get this brand but not this one... Thanks in advance!

fivepix
05-07-13, 09:18 PM
I've always been told that you would have to replace the entire window film if you put a hole in it, might be better to call a few tint shops to see what they say...

LowNslow
05-07-13, 10:08 PM
Can someone post a pic of an eyebrow inside & outside?

I have 20% all around & 5% sunroof...3M ceramic film on front 2 & sunroof

Mr.SWAG
05-12-13, 01:56 PM
107954 I got 20%on my drivers and passenger windows and 3% on top of the factory tints on the back.. My back windows are beyond black you can't see through it at all from the outside. And I put a 3% banner on the front windshield

BBC
05-12-13, 08:16 PM
Just got my windows tinted 25% front (Texas legal limit) 5% on the rear. I passed on the front visor tint, any pictures of the front visor window tint? And what shade?