: Gonna be a hot one!

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 12:59 AM
Well I just checked the weather forecast for our area (NC) and over the next few days they are predicting temperatures as high as 108!!! :shocked2: This might just ruin my weekend plans of taking the coach to a campground down in SC this weekend to meet up with some friends. I honestly don't think I have ever experienced that kind of heat. And to make it worse, it will probably be very humid...

And if that's not bad enough, our house central a/c isn't working. We are already running 2 window units 24/7, but they won't be able tokeep up with that kind of heat.. I feel like I need to escape but I don't know where to go!

brandondeleo
06-28-12, 01:47 AM
108's great in my opinion, but not when you're in a place humid enough to peel wallpaper... :ill:

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 01:52 AM
You got that right, Brandon! People don't realize what a difference humidity makes. It is going to be dangerous. I plan to be indoors, needless to say. I might be wrong, but the hottest temp I can actually ever remember anywhere I lived was 103 or 104. I can't imagine what it felt like to day in the mid-west where it reached 115.

brandondeleo
06-28-12, 01:55 AM
Seriously. Humidity is HORRIBLE. I like dry. Hot and dry. Living in Palm Springs was totally awesome in that aspect. When I'm in Seattle and it's 75-80 with high humidity, I'm sweating, dying, and breathing heavily. Like... Humidity KILLS me.

Hottest temperature I've ever experienced was in the summer of '08 (I think) and it hit 129. Needles, CA.

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 02:01 AM
129? I have no point of reference to be able to identify with that. I have experienced more extreme cold than hot since I grew up in Maine. I remember it getting down to -18 one morning when I was walking my newspaper route. That sucked. I am sure some of the Canadian guys would laugh at -18, but that's cold enough for me. :D

brandondeleo
06-28-12, 02:03 AM
When you walk outside at 129, you shrivel up like a bone dry sponge. You don't even sweat because it evaporates! :lol:

The lowest I've ever seen is last winter when it hit -14 here in Ellensburg. That day there was around 2' of snow on the ground too. The hottest I've seen it in Ellensburg is about 115.

Jesda
06-28-12, 02:15 AM
I've quickly gotten used to it since May was unusually warm. Drove around with the top open today when it was 101F and sunny.

brandondeleo
06-28-12, 02:17 AM
Drove around with the top open today when it was 101F and sunny.
If it's over 60 degrees or higher and relatively sunny, it's nice enough to have the top down.

Aron9000
06-28-12, 05:57 AM
I've quickly gotten used to it since May was unusually warm. Drove around with the top open today when it was 101F and sunny.

I went out and washed my car around 7:30 this evening, then went out a little later. Honestly once the sun set it was actually pleasant. Not looking forward to Thursday, Friday, Sat, Sun, or Mon. Predicted highs in Nashville of 104, 109, 108, 104, 102 respectively. Next Tuesday is a cold spell with a high only of 98. No good chance of rain in the next 10 days either. Its so dry around where I live that the bermuda grass in my front yard has turned completely brown. If you live in the south, you know that bermuda never dies.

bigm57ict
06-28-12, 09:40 AM
Here in Kansas, too, the evenings are okay. Days are brutal, though.
Fortunantly, the former owner of our home was kind enough to install a sprinkler system on a well so our Bermuda is still green. Of course, now I have to go out in this heat and mow it. :mad2:
Most people around here don't like Bermuda. I actually like how easily it grows and spreads. I never have bare spots in my yard and the moles keeps things loose and aerated :)

Submariner409
06-28-12, 09:55 AM
Right now it's 76 and pretty dry. As the day progresses, up goes the heat and we're supposed to get our heat lumps for the next 3 days.

(Even here on the Chesapeake Bay "heat and humidity" don't hold a candle to Charleston, SC in July and August.........)

My Bermuda lawn in Charleston was great - like walking on a rough green mat over sand. (EDIT: Of course, in Charleston, "Bermuda grass" was "Charleston grass".)

EcSTSatic
06-28-12, 10:55 AM
Here in Kansas, too, the evenings are okay. Days are brutal, though.
Fortunantly, the former owner of our home was kind enough to install a sprinkler system on a well so our Bermuda is still green. Of course, now I have to go out in this heat and mow it. :mad2:
Most people around here don't like Bermuda. I actually like how easily it grows and spreads. I never have bare spots in my yard and the moles keeps things loose and aerated :)

I am in Wichita and we have had triple digits for about a week now. Cheney reservoir is drying up again. i may have to haul my sailboat out unless we get rain.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-28-12, 12:33 PM
And if that's not bad enough, our house central a/c isn't working.
Is the AC in the car still workin'?

BIGREECE
06-28-12, 01:57 PM
Me and my brothers and sisters and mom of course are going to Wild Dunes ( about ten min from Charleston ) in late July. I F****** hate the heat and humidity down there, even at night it sucks. The house we're staying in is on the beach so maybe the breeze will help. I'm excited though, First road trip for the Caddy!!
Right now it's 76 and pretty dry. As the day progresses, up goes the heat and we're supposed to get our heat lumps for the next 3 days.

(Even here on the Chesapeake Bay "heat and humidity" don't hold a candle to Charleston, SC in July and August.........)

My Bermuda lawn in Charleston was great - like walking on a rough green mat over sand. (EDIT: Of course, in Charleston, "Bermuda grass" was "Charleston grass".)

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 03:25 PM
Is the AC in the car still workin'?

Both driveable cars are still holding their charge. :thumbsup: Guess I'll just keep driving around until the heat wave passes. :lol:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-28-12, 03:30 PM
You forgot to knock wood.

Submariner409
06-28-12, 03:32 PM
Me and my brothers and sisters and mom of course are going to Wild Dunes ( about ten min from Charleston ) in late July. I'm excited though, First road trip for the Caddy!!

IIRC, Wild Dunes is/was a Hilton development at the north end of Isle of Palms. I lived off 34th Street in Forest Trail there on and off for 14 years during the 60's and 70's. #213 Forest Trail. The present house bears no resemblance to my brick rambler: Hurricane HUGO moved it 150 yards west and the new place was rebuilt on stilts. When I first moved there in '64 there was nothing - nothing - north of about 40th St. The whole northern third of the island was inhabited by wild pigs and goats..........and, yes, I've eaten some of the pigs. The only way on and off I of P and Sullivan's Island was the Ben Sawyer swing bridge over the Waterway. Find the homes built into the underground naval rifle emplacements on the northeast tip of Sullivan's Island. One street back of the beach, now...... I worked part time as a guide at Ft. Moultrie. Don't miss it.

Over the new connector through Mt. Pleasant to I of P, thence a left north to the tip of the island.

orconn
06-28-12, 03:53 PM
For people with lung disease these high temperatures are bad enough, but with high humidity they are not only uncomfortable but can be seriously dangerous to your health. As a COPD sufferer I can look forward to being confined to the air conditioned house till this current heat/humidity wave passes next week (hopefully). This was also the case last week when we experienced similar high heat and humidity days. Even with staying inside I still feel the effects of this kind of weather. As they show in the ads on TV, the proverbial "elephant on Your chest!"

After a week of really feeling badly it is always amazing when the heat and humidity ceases and what you had begun to believe was a permanent extra difficulty in breathing abates and ones breathing becomes easier. So let's hope for less oppressive weather so all of us and especially the elderly and others with breathing problems can enjoy the Summer more!

If you have a relative or know someone with lung or another heat affected condition please check on them to make sure their air conditioning is working properly and they are able to stay cool and relatively comfortable. It would be a kindness that could be life saving!

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 05:03 PM
Orconn, sounds like the desert might be the place for you after all! :rolleyes:

thebigjimsho
06-28-12, 05:30 PM
It's 85 and beautiful in Boston today. Will get hotter but not as hot as last week.

I saw -13 two winters ago but that was easy because it was so still. If it gets windy, then I don't care for it.

Last year I was in Charlotte for a week. It was 100+ everywhere in the US except for the Carolinas. Weird...

RippyPartsDept
06-28-12, 06:00 PM
only going to be in the high 90's in Wilmington - a bit cooler at the beach (as it always is) ... but if i was you i would still make the trip to SC

Submariner409
06-28-12, 06:28 PM
Just remember: Charleston mosquitos have nameplates: DeWalt

gary88
06-28-12, 07:47 PM
Here's the hottest I saw today, 56% humidity.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/gheb882/66bc3371.jpg

BIGREECE
06-28-12, 10:45 PM
That is awesome Sub, I love going to Sullivans restaurant, I believe Fort Moultrie is behind the restaurant and the fire station across the street. I bet it was a great place to hang out back in the day, can't wait to see where you used to live, I'll have a cold beer and a cheeseburger topped with crab cakes when we eat at Poe's restaurant just b4 Fort Moultrie, You are a true journeyman Sir.
IIRC, Wild Dunes is/was a Hilton development at the north end of Isle of Palms. I lived off 34th Street in Forest Trail there on and off for 14 years during the 60's and 70's. #213 Forest Trail. The present house bears no resemblance to my brick rambler: Hurricane HUGO moved it 150 yards west and the new place was rebuilt on stilts. When I first moved there in '64 there was nothing - nothing - north of about 40th St. The whole northern third of the island was inhabited by wild pigs and goats..........and, yes, I've eaten some of the pigs. The only way on and off I of P and Sullivan's Island was the Ben Sawyer swing bridge over the Waterway. Find the homes built into the underground naval rifle emplacements on the northeast tip of Sullivan's Island. One street back of the beach, now...... I worked part time as a guide at Ft. Moultrie. Don't miss it.

Over the new connector through Mt. Pleasant to I of P, thence a left north to the tip of the island.

Faded Crest
06-28-12, 10:46 PM
What a difference the dry makes. It got to 95 today, but humidity stayed around 33% and it was not uncomfortable at all. The a/c has an easier time keeping the air comfortable when it's not fighting the moisture in the air. Hope it stays dry tomorrow. Forecast is for 105.

only going to be in the high 90's in Wilmington - a bit cooler at the beach (as it always is) ... but if i was you i would still make the trip to SC

Yeah, I noticed when I was browsing the temps in the area that Myrtle was predicted to only be in the low 90's most of the time. Not too bad. As far as our trip, we decided to push it back a couple weeks. That way we can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about head stroke.

gdwriter
06-29-12, 02:42 AM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/486461_10151008534683287_711891459_n.jpg

Went over the Cascades to Bend today, where it was sunny and warm. Crossing back over the Cascades, it was cloudy, and by the time we were back in the Willamette Valley, it was raining. You can have your 100+ and humidity, but I'd at least like a little sunshine.

CadillacLuke24
06-29-12, 04:01 AM
Dry heat is nice. The only time I'm uncomfortable is when I'm riding to and from work.

I've experienced 110 degree heat, and -40 cold. Both in basketball shorts.

Yes, I may not be completely sane. :bouncy:

brandondeleo
06-29-12, 04:23 AM
It was perfect today. Low 80s, sunny, and a light breeze. Then all of a sudden at around 7:00pm, the sky turned black and it rained. Then it was nice again. :lol:

donwon
06-29-12, 05:06 AM
I got COPD also. I woke up about 3 am hot and sweaty and couldn't go back to sleep.
It is 72 in the house and the humidity is at 70% right now.
I used to go all through that fort before someone made a home or homes out of it.
I also saw my first Hudson truck at that big old Antique store in the curve years ago. Don't know if the store is still there or not.
Was there the day they brought the Hunley under the cooper river bridge and one of the first to cross the new bridge.
Charleston has always been a fasinating place to me.
I also remember the morning Hugo came through. If it hadn't been for I77 it would have came on up to Spartanburge instead of going to Charlott. We did have some wind damage where I live just south of Greenville.

EcSTSatic
06-29-12, 09:11 AM
It was 105 yesterday when I got a flat on my bike. My pump didn't help. It was closer to walk it to the bike shop then home. Fortunately they put the repair on my account because I wasn't carrying a wallet.

thebigjimsho
06-29-12, 09:39 AM
I find dry heat easy. 119 and no humidity is caek. Just don't have a sunburn. OMGWTF!

vincentm
06-29-12, 11:30 AM
Well I just checked the weather forecast for our area (NC) and over the next few days they are predicting temperatures as high as 108!!! :shocked2: This might just ruin my weekend plans of taking the coach to a campground down in SC this weekend to meet up with some friends. I honestly don't think I have ever experienced that kind of heat. And to make it worse, it will probably be very humid...

And if that's not bad enough, our house central a/c isn't working. We are already running 2 window units 24/7, but they won't be able tokeep up with that kind of heat.. I feel like I need to escape but I don't know where to go!

You guys are suffering over there, meanwhile summer has yet to hit over here, nothing but grey skies, rain and wind...in f'n June.

vincentm
06-29-12, 11:32 AM
I find dry heat easy. 119 and no humidity is caek. Just don't have a sunburn. OMGWTF!

I lived in AZ, dry heat is a mofo too. Your skin starts cracking, starting at the nose. tires wear faster because they almost start melting lol.

And at night all the scorpions come out, you have to use a black light to find the little bastards.

EcSTSatic
06-29-12, 12:30 PM
I was driving down the highway on the way home the other day and it was sounding like I was running over something. When I exited I pulled over to see. Chunks of melted road aggregate were sticking under my rear bumper. I have to fall way behind other cars so they don't fling it into my windshield too.

Submariner409
06-29-12, 04:36 PM
3:30 PM...........Got to 93 here - a non-event................. pretty humid, though: The air in the woods is bluish.

Submariner409
06-29-12, 04:54 PM
That is awesome Sub, I love going to Sullivans restaurant, I believe Fort Moultrie is behind the restaurant and the fire station across the street. I bet it was a great place to hang out back in the day, can't wait to see where you used to live, I'll have a cold beer and a cheeseburger topped with crab cakes when we eat at Poe's restaurant just b4 Fort Moultrie, You are a true journeyman Sir.

You might not have time, but Bowen's Island restaurant is on the road out to Folly Beach - SE of Charleston the road goes off Rt.17. In the 60's you drove out a partially flooded lowcountry swamp road to a brick and cinder block building with rusty legged formica tables and chairs here and there. Mrs. Bowen looked over, said "Hi, y'all!", went in the back and returned with a coal shovel full of roasted oysters. Slammed them on the table along with a frosty 6-pack of PBR still in the cardboard and a roll of paper towels. During off-crew I worked part time on a 65 foot otterboard trawler named GRAY GHOST, out of Shem creek. It was not unusual to return from 72 hours of nonstop shrimping, unload, ice down, weigh out, and crawl home with $4,000 in $20 bills in your pocket - in 1973 ! Charleston and Mt.Pleasant were much, much, much quieter and more hospitable 35 years ago. Now it has all been "discovered". At the head of the causeway out to Sullivan's Island was Simmon's Seafood. Mrs. Simmons opened at 0800 and put a fifth of Jack Daniel's next to her cash register. At closing time the fifth was gone. Toler's Cove Marina was a nasty, muddy, smelly, ramshackle marina and bait shop. I kept my 27 foot sailboat there. Now it looks like a hotel in Dubai.........

You can tell if a snake is from Charleston because it goes "Hayisssss, hayisssss, hayisssss !"

While you're there, pick up a Gullah dictionary. Spend some mad money on a hand-woven sweetgrass basket from one of the little stands on Rt.17 in Mt. Pleasant.

orconn
06-29-12, 05:40 PM
The thermometer in the shade on the back deck is reading 101 degrees. Our house sits on a ridge over looking the James River Valley. Normally we are at least 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the nearby city of Richmond. They are reporting 105 degrees for Richmond with humidity adjustment of 110 to 114. Yeah, its' hot, thank God for air conditioning! Unfortunately we will probably see heat related deaths here in Central Virginia due to these high tempuratures and humidity!

BIGREECE
06-29-12, 08:34 PM
The good old days!!!!:yup:
You might not have time, but Bowen's Island restaurant is on the road out to Folly Beach - SE of Charleston the road goes off Rt.17. In the 60's you drove out a partially flooded lowcountry swamp road to a brick and cinder block building with rusty legged formica tables and chairs here and there. Mrs. Bowen looked over, said "Hi, y'all!", went in the back and returned with a coal shovel full of roasted oysters. Slammed them on the table along with a frosty 6-pack of PBR still in the cardboard and a roll of paper towels. During off-crew I worked part time on a 65 foot otterboard trawler named GRAY GHOST, out of Shem creek. It was not unusual to return from 72 hours of nonstop shrimping, unload, ice down, weigh out, and crawl home with $4,000 in $20 bills in your pocket - in 1973 ! Charleston and Mt.Pleasant were much, much, much quieter and more hospitable 35 years ago. Now it has all been "discovered". At the head of the causeway out to Sullivan's Island was Simmon's Seafood. Mrs. Simmons opened at 0800 and put a fifth of Jack Daniel's next to her cash register. At closing time the fifth was gone. Toler's Cove Marina was a nasty, muddy, smelly, ramshackle marina and bait shop. I kept my 27 foot sailboat there. Now it looks like a hotel in Dubai.........

You can tell if a snake is from Charleston because it goes "Hayisssss, hayisssss, hayisssss !"

While you're there, pick up a Gullah dictionary. Spend some mad money on a hand-woven sweetgrass basket from one of the little stands on Rt.17 in Mt. Pleasant.

Faded Crest
06-29-12, 09:18 PM
Not sure what the official high was today, but when I drove down a stretch of road at 4:30 the thermometer in the Eldo read 106 and touched 107 once in a while. I have noticed that it actually tends to read a little low! Strangely, it tends to start low and rise up to the actual temperature, unlike most cars I've had in the past.

Needless to say I wasn't outside much today, but I've felt 85 degree days with 90% humidity that were worse than this. Humidity was just 25% today. Thank God!

rodnok01
06-29-12, 10:21 PM
It was hot here today, 106 official. It was 100+ in the pole barn from 2pm on. It wasn't really bad until around 4pm. Tomorrow just as hot but not cool in morning so it's gonna suck big time. Going to a friends pool for sunday... I wonder if the dude who invented AC got a Nobel prize..he'd get my vote.

Faded Crest
06-29-12, 10:23 PM
It was hot here today, 106 official. It was 100+ in the pole barn from 2pm on. It wasn't really bad until around 4pm. Tomorrow just as hot but not cool in morning so it's gonna suck big time. Going to a friends pool for sunday... I wonder if the dude who invented AC got a Nobel prize..he'd get my vote.

Where are you in NC?

Aron9000
06-30-12, 02:49 AM
Hopped in the car at 2:30 to head to work, car thermometer read 111, this being parked in the shade of the carport. I know its a little optimistic, but damn. That being said, I've worked more miserable days when it was in the high 90's with way more humidity.

brandondeleo
06-30-12, 04:11 AM
You guys are suffering over there, meanwhile summer has yet to hit over here, nothing but grey skies, rain and wind...in f'n June.
Funny that it sucks ass over there in Tri Shitties yet it's been beautiful 3 hours away in Ellensburg. :lol:

ga_etc
06-30-12, 04:51 AM
The town I live in is in the NE corner of GA. I was greeted with this as a high temp today according to my Blazer. Took this while stopped at a red light, but even at speeds of 60mph it never changed.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMAG1974.jpg

rodnok01
06-30-12, 12:23 PM
Where are you in NC?

few Miles southWest of Dunn about 1/2 mile from Cape Fear River.

orconn
06-30-12, 03:52 PM
Last nights storms have left over half a million Virginians without power as the heat and humidity rise. Apparently this is the largest non hurricane related power outage Virginia has ever experienced. The Governor has declared a the state a disaster zone and the National Guard has been called on to assist. Because of the high heat and humidity people are being warned to not try to clean up the downed trees and other debris. Public safety officials fear if heat stroke of injury should strike an individual emergency response personnel and equipment will not be able to reach victims because of fallen trees blocking roadways.

More extreme winds and thunderstorms apparently are likely at night for the next several days. Apparently normal availability of emergency repair assistance from states to the west is not available due to local need in those states.

Luckily both our home and that of our son, nearby, still have power and thus air conditioning. In Richmond there are over 120,000 customers without power, which is down from 190,000 this morning. However, many towns and cities in Virginia are reporting their normal heat relief shelters are without power so health concerns for the vulnerable are very real.

Submariner409
06-30-12, 04:31 PM
Most of today Karen, myself, and Steve the ATV Man down the road have been chain sawing the top of a red oak tree that twisted off and fell across the driveway/road at 1125 last night. Hot, so we took breaks for iced tea here in the kitchen. I already have 3 cords split and stacked; because two of the branches were as big as my thigh, plus 3 more good-sized, Steve got a 1/4 cord of hardwood and kindling for labor rendered. :sneaky: He wouldn't accept a cent of payment so it looks like the next time the road needs some gravel it's my turn.

In between stacking wood in his trailer I used a TroyBilt 4-cycle leaf blower to clean the driveway and around the house perimeter - this morning the whole yard looked like a giant green salad. Karen lit off the burn pile.

We're under another severe storm watch right now, but so far the only radar fuzzballs are up west of Philly, moving SE.

BIGREECE
06-30-12, 05:12 PM
Glad to see you guys are ok, Red oak is great for burning once it's seasoned well. Three cords ( WOW ) you are the man Sub, If the world is nearing the end I'm heading to your house!!:lildevil:
Most of today Karen, myself, and Steve the ATV Man down the road have been chain sawing the top of a red oak tree that twisted off and fell across the driveway/road at 1125 last night. Hot, so we took breaks for iced tea here in the kitchen. I already have 3 cords split and stacked; because two of the branches were as big as my thigh, plus 3 more good-sized, Steve got a 1/4 cord of hardwood and kindling for labor rendered. :sneaky: He wouldn't accept a cent of payment so it looks like the next time the road needs some gravel it's my turn.

In between stacking wood in his trailer I used a TroyBilt 4-cycle leaf blower to clean the driveway and around the house perimeter - this morning the whole yard looked like a giant green salad. Karen lit off the burn pile.

We're under another severe storm watch right now, but so far the only radar fuzzballs are up west of Philly, moving SE.

Submariner409
06-30-12, 05:58 PM
Glad to see you guys are ok, Red oak is great for burning once it's seasoned well. Three cords ( WOW ) you are the man Sub, If the world is nearing the end I'm heading to your house!!:lildevil:

Steve got ALL the wood from this little incident ^^^ - Karen and I had already split and stacked two large oak trees late in the winter. Better at 45 degrees than at 105 !

dkozloski
06-30-12, 06:13 PM
We're having a miserable day after day of mid 70s with a very light breeze.

rodnok01
06-30-12, 06:15 PM
We're having a miserable day after day of mid 70s with a very light breeze.

Bite me...

BIGREECE
06-30-12, 08:02 PM
You're still the man, most of the younger generation would still be waiting for someone else to do it, Just like old school metal, They don't make them like they used to!!:yup:
Steve got ALL the wood from this little incident ^^^ - Karen and I had already split and stacked two large oak trees late in the winter. Better at 45 degrees than at 105 !

talismandave
06-30-12, 08:31 PM
And thank God for good neighbors!

RippyPartsDept
06-30-12, 09:00 PM
Yeah so much for it being cooler by the beach. We hit 103 today apparently a record.

thebigjimsho
07-01-12, 12:24 AM
It got up to 90 at Lake Winnipesaukee today. Was pretty warm last night. Not great sleeping weather, but not awful. The water's pretty nice, though...

CadillacLuke24
07-01-12, 02:22 AM
You're still the man, most of the younger generation would still be waiting for someone else to do it, Just like old school metal, They don't make them like they used to!!:yup:

They also did NOT make enough like Sub either :D

talismandave
07-01-12, 11:21 AM
They also did NOT make enough like Sub either :D
The other part of having good neighbors is being one, and I'm sure that applies too.

Submariner409
07-01-12, 11:39 AM
Stop it - stop it NOW ! I'm just me, nothing else.

The 4 families that live in this 16 acre plat of woods are in a very symbiotic relationship - we all help each other, no matter what. Karen is "Miss Karen" to the kids and young adults: she's the cookie, fresh herb and dill pickle person. Me....... I'll sharpen your chain saw.

This situation sure beats the heck out of identical cookie-cutter houses with identical driveways, identical front doors and identical mailboxes and no clothes lines along with no RV's in the driveway. I grew up in DC so I KNOW it beats the heck out of city living.

We're all in different situations and locations - Karen and I just lucked into this one 25 years ago. Does this play better than looking into your neighbor's kitchen window on a frosty morning ? (On the front porch, looking east) Everyone chill - - -

CadillacLuke24
07-01-12, 06:44 PM
I think you have a symbiotic relationship here too :D You give us skrillions of tidbits of info, and we, well, we, uh, we.....

ENTERTAIN you. :D

ShapeShifter
07-01-12, 10:00 PM
My central air was not working this past Thursday, which was the hottest day thus far in SE Michigan. Temps reached 99* in Metro Detroit with a heat index well above 100*. Somehow I struggled thru and it was repaired on Friday afternoon. Took several hours for the interior of the house to just get below 82*. Although I made it through that near intolerable heat, I hope and pray I don't have to experience that again!

brandondeleo
07-02-12, 05:02 AM
This is Suncadia, a vacation resort about 20 minutes west of Ellensburg in Cle Elum. About 20 degrees.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/236/3164105696_b995dd8c11_z.jpg

This is Vantage, about 15 minutes east of Ellensburg. About 110 degrees.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Vantage_Bridge_carrying_Interstate_90_over_Columbi a_River_near_Vantage%2C_WA.JPG/640px-Vantage_Bridge_carrying_Interstate_90_over_Columbi a_River_near_Vantage%2C_WA.JPG

We're smack dab in the middle of these two things (Washington is pretty cool) so we get both of these. During the summer we're like Vantage, and during the winter we're often as bad as Cle Elum.

donwon
07-02-12, 10:04 AM
Got up to 108 here Sunday evening, then we had some fast moving storms that took down trees and power lines on the next street over from where I live.
No damage at my house.

CadillacLuke24
07-02-12, 03:54 PM
Warm weather isn't so bad if you are dressed right. Dressed right DOES NOT include black cargo pants, navy blue shirts, or scrubs. Nope. :nono:

BIGREECE
07-02-12, 04:29 PM
Light colored t-shirt and shorts and lots of shade, water or cold beverage of choice. My brothers dog was laying in the sun yesterday, what a goofball!
Warm weather isn't so bad if you are dressed right. Dressed right DOES NOT include black cargo pants, navy blue shirts, or scrubs. Nope. :nono:

orconn
07-02-12, 04:42 PM
My hot weather wear includes a loose fitting Madras shirt, loose fitting 100% cotton shorts and flip flops! Ice cold freshly squeesed lemon or lime aid and a couple of lovelly nubian damsels with large palm frond fans, if air conditioning is not available.

Coped with plenty of this weather while sitting on the veranda of the old Imperial Hotel enjoying a cool breeze coming of the Bleu Nile River in Khartoum! Not bad after sunset when the stars are so dense and their light so strong you can read by them!

BIGREECE
07-02-12, 04:56 PM
A little taste of heaven:yup:
My hot weather wear includes a loose fitting Madras shirt, loose fitting 100% cotton shorts and flip flops! Ice cold freshly squeesed lemon or lime aid and a couple of lovelly nubian damsels with large palm frond fans, if air conditioning is not available.

Coped with plenty of this weather while sitting on the veranda of the old Imperial Hotel enjoying a cool breeze coming of the Bleu Nile River in Khartoum! Not bad after sunset when the stars are so dense and their light so strong you can read by them!

Submariner409
07-02-12, 07:44 PM
Many people don't believe that you CAN read by starlight in the less populated (back lighting) areas of the world - and 500 miles at sea.

.............and you don't think we use electricity to gross excess ???

talismandave
07-02-12, 11:05 PM
That really is sad.
They keep adding lights for safety. Do you feel any safer?

CadillacLuke24
07-03-12, 03:22 AM
That really is sad.
They keep adding lights for safety. Do you feel any safer?

Let me consider that....

My Cadillac was parked halfway alongside my house.
The house lights were on. Reading bright.
The streetlight, about 50 feet away, was on. Reading bright.

All four of my tires were slashed.

Let's see. HELL NO.

Light polution sucks. That's why I like to follow 9th street out of Laramie (North) from time to time. I can see the milky way and so many stars I get chills. I can only imagine what Sub got to see.

thebigjimsho
07-03-12, 12:10 PM
I hope to see some Northern Lights driving across Ontario, the MI UP and MN...

EcSTSatic
07-03-12, 12:59 PM
Many people don't believe that you CAN read by starlight in the less populated (back lighting) areas of the world - and 500 miles at sea.

.............and you don't think we use electricity to gross excess ???

I never could. I spent many a night on the flight deck of a carrier in the Pacific under darkened ship, and all I got was scars from tripping over aircraft tie-down chains. The nighttime sky is beautiful at sea though.

talismandave
07-03-12, 01:43 PM
99 today, if we reach it it is a new record, also hottest here in 10 years. Still no rain, been about a month and a half now. Telling people to put 1 inch of water on lawns twice a week or they won't come back. They go into dormancy for about six weeks but after that it's done. Ordering cases of hoses, sprinklers and root feeders and still can't keep them in stock.
Tomorrow 99 again and then 104 on thur. Lived here all my life and never seen a summer like this. Still no rain in 7 day forecast.
They have been putting up huge poles along the beltline highway around Madison. (300 feet out my window.) Ugly as sin itself, very upsetting to area residents. Saw the newest ones on a drive last night, they are about 2 blocks from me yet, was dis-stressed. Got home , air was running fine, Guess I can learn to live with the poles!
The heat is really cutting into work time in the parking lot on my Cadillac though.
If you haven't seen it yet, look on the internet for the road buckle that launched a small SUV like the Dukes of Hazzard. That was in Wisconsin yesterday!

Ranger
07-03-12, 03:27 PM
In the drought of '88 we went damn near all summer with temps in the 90's and no rain. My lawn was brown. Never watered it (1.5 acres). It came back. I have no doubt it will this year as well.

orconn
07-03-12, 03:31 PM
When I went to UW Madison anyone who had had to spend the Summer in Madison said it was terrible; very hot and humid. I never was there for the Summer but I spent a couple of weeks west of Chicago and it was the worst summer weather I have ever endured ..... worse than Vietnam!

Virginia is only bearable because of air conditioning.

Most of my life was spent in Southern California, in the western side of L.A. where in Summer the days can be hot, but the nights are always cool. Our house didn't have air conditioning and with the exception of a week out of every year didn't need it. Humidity was something other people had to put up with. San Diego may have the best climate in the country, but coastal side of L.A. with its' 3 o'clock sea breeze is just fine too.

My friends who are without power here in Virginia are all staying in motels that didn't loose power, and probably will be until Saturday when they are supposed to get their power back! The "Dorecho" has caused one of the worst and most wide spread power outages in Virginia history. The power companies are putting forth a Herculean effort but there is so much damage to the power system it will still be several days before everyone will have power back.

brandondeleo
07-03-12, 09:47 PM
It's 68, partly cloudy, and windier than all hell (Ellensburg... what's new?) but it's supposed to be in the high 90s this weekend. Yeah!

thebigjimsho
07-03-12, 10:30 PM
We're still escaping most of this nastiness in the Northeast...

BIGREECE
07-03-12, 10:49 PM
I hope people up there are careful with fireworks,I'm sure theres a ban but people will still be burning the fuse, good luck on some H2O there Dave.
99 today, if we reach it it is a new record, also hottest here in 10 years. Still no rain, been about a month and a half now. Telling people to put 1 inch of water on lawns twice a week or they won't come back. They go into dormancy for about six weeks but after that it's done. Ordering cases of hoses, sprinklers and root feeders and still can't keep them in stock.
Tomorrow 99 again and then 104 on thur. Lived here all my life and never seen a summer like this. Still no rain in 7 day forecast.
They have been putting up huge poles along the beltline highway around Madison. (300 feet out my window.) Ugly as sin itself, very upsetting to area residents. Saw the newest ones on a drive last night, they are about 2 blocks from me yet, was dis-stressed. Got home , air was running fine, Guess I can learn to live with the poles!
The heat is really cutting into work time in the parking lot on my Cadillac though.
If you haven't seen it yet, look on the internet for the road buckle that launched a small SUV like the Dukes of Hazzard. That was in Wisconsin yesterday!

talismandave
07-03-12, 11:17 PM
For those of you who didn't know, Tom Wopat is from Wisconsin. Hmmm....he may be home for a visit.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8FaXdsg558

talismandave
07-04-12, 12:07 AM
Oops, sorry guys, just came across the thread with this on it. I wanted to upload it this morning but had to do some computer learning first!

brandondeleo
07-05-12, 02:47 AM
Here's this week's forecast for Ellensburg. I'm looking forward to it! :D First triple digits of the year.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i419/brandondeleo/Untitled-1.png

talismandave
07-05-12, 03:09 AM
102 today, same tomorrow, but even more humid. Too hot, too humid.

brandondeleo
07-05-12, 03:11 AM
Too hot, too humid.
10-20% all the time. :D

talismandave
07-05-12, 04:08 AM
we need a hate button to click on...

ShapeShifter
07-05-12, 11:34 AM
Set a record yesterday with 102*. There were severe thunder storms last evening, night and early this morning. Several metro communities were hit with flash flooding, wind damage, hail, and there's area wide power outages. Luckily, my subdivision lost no power and only has small broken limbs, branches and leaves blown across our lawns and roofs. Getting a break today with temps projected around 94-96*.

thebigjimsho
07-05-12, 02:45 PM
It's 91 in Manhattan today. Wish I could idle all day long....

orconn
07-05-12, 04:42 PM
Is Manhattan seeing the effects of the heat in the road surfaces, Jim? (Although from my experience in New York City, I am not sure you could tell."

thebigjimsho
07-05-12, 08:55 PM
Is Manhattan seeing the effects of the heat in the road surfaces, Jim? (Although from my experience in New York City, I am not sure you could tell."

No airborne SUVs that I have seen...

rodnok01
07-06-12, 12:55 AM
we need a hate button to click on...

I was looking for the "Bite Me" button earlier this week myself....

10-20% humidity....Maybe in my oven...

talismandave
07-06-12, 03:40 AM
Amen to that, 104 today new record again, also the third highest it has ever been at any time since records were kept. Also very humid. Only 98 tomorrow. I better bring a coat.

ShapeShifter
07-06-12, 09:30 AM
SE Michigan is projected to have a hot, hazy and humid day with a high temp of 101*. Most of the Midwest is under Excessive Heat Warnings today.

--------
Just heard that with the heat index, it will feel like 110*.

Jesda
07-06-12, 09:46 AM
Dont even have the AC on here in Spokane, Washington. I get to spend the hottest weeks of July in Methville, USA. The town sucks but summers here are outstanding.

talismandave
07-06-12, 12:12 PM
Well, ShapeShifter, I have not heard(more likely in denial) the heat index though all this. This system is tracking right from us to you so good luck today. Yesterday was a peach here! Stay in if possible drink lots of fluids!
The only good in all of this is if it keeps up like this we might be able to do some swimming when we go to Ludington this year! Lake should be at least 58 degrees by now.:lol:

Faded Crest
07-06-12, 12:15 PM
It's funny... I've been thinking about going to Maine for a couple weeks sometime this summer. Some family suggested I come up early in the summer, but I said it would be better to wait until mid August when it really got hot here so I could have some relief... :doh: Looks like that plan backfired.

brandondeleo
07-06-12, 01:25 PM
Forecast for this Sunday says up to 105* at 20% humidity. That's a heat index of 112*. :lol:

ShapeShifter
07-06-12, 01:50 PM
Well, ShapeShifter, I have not heard(more likely in denial) the heat index though all this. This system is tracking right from us to you so good luck today. Yesterday was a peach here! Stay in if possible drink lots of fluids!
The only good in all of this is if it keeps up like this we might be able to do some swimming when we go to Ludington this year! Lake should be at least 58 degrees by now.:lol:
Yesterday was good for us too. As today goes, I completed my outside activity early this morning; walked to the end of driveway, placed letter in mailbox and walked back inside under A/C and ceiling fans. I'm done.:)

Here's a link to todays warning on one of our local news stations weather page. http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/weatheralerts#WNWxAlert2-26-1298

talismandave
07-06-12, 06:43 PM
Well they lied to us again, our high was suppose to be 98 today but it is 102 already.:banghead:
MAKE IT STOP...

thebigjimsho
07-06-12, 07:06 PM
Man, I almost had to drive the V with the A/C on today. But, like a trooper, I kept 'em down. Although it was only 88 today...

rodnok01
07-07-12, 09:18 AM
It's 80 and humid at 8am already. Last night wasn't the worst night yet but steamy. These numerous 100+ days are starting to suck.... Hard to get anything done outside when you gotta have it done by noon. I gotta drag the stupid dog outside now...

talismandave
07-07-12, 10:34 AM
DOG! We love dogs! Throw up a pic!

Submariner409
07-07-12, 11:46 AM
83 at 0630 here in the woods, supposed to go to 95. Lazy day, water the vegetable garden, mint julep at 4, grilled beef ribs at 7.

rodnok01
07-07-12, 05:41 PM
DOG! We love dogs! Throw up a pic!

Here ya go... he's sporting his jinglers(bells not b***s) in this pic since he ran off that day for a run in the woods for a couple hours and is doing hard time in the "pen".

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7522634520_f904ff8649_m.jpg

dkozloski
07-07-12, 08:17 PM
Another bluebird day in the mid 70s with a light breeze.

talismandave
07-07-12, 08:23 PM
Thanks rornoc, beautiful dog, we will now of course only allow you to post photos of your car if he is in them!:D

talismandave
07-07-12, 08:29 PM
Another bluebird day in the mid 70s with a light breeze.
Can I rent a room for about a month?
Actually I just walked home at 5:30p we were already down to 88 degrees. I don't know the high today, but when I checked at 3p it was 91. So at last a little relief. Tonight predict 64, will be nice to have air off and windows open again. Sadly no rain yet and none in 7 day forecast.

vincentm
07-07-12, 09:30 PM
102f here, finally :)

brandondeleo
07-08-12, 04:33 AM
It's nice and up in the triple digits now. Lovin' Every Minute Of It.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-12, 09:04 AM
Can I rent a room for about a month?
Actually I just walked home at 5:30p we were already down to 88 degrees. I don't know the high today, but when I checked at 3p it was 91. So at last a little relief. Tonight predict 64, will be nice to have air off and windows open again. Sadly no rain yet and none in 7 day forecast.

They heatwave hasn't broke in Madison yet? It broke yesterday here, high was 84* instead of the usual 95-100* we'd been seeing over the last week.

talismandave
07-08-12, 09:42 AM
We are still to be in the 90s today then the rest of the 7 day is 80s. That will be nice but still no rain since Memorial day. So relief, if partial is on the way!

brandondeleo
07-08-12, 09:47 AM
We are still to be in the 90s today then the rest of the 7 day is 80s. That will be nice but still no rain since Memorial day. So relief, if partial is on the way!
Reminds me, yesterday I was stuck behind a white/white top/tan interior 1g just like yours for a good three miles.

Johnxlrv
07-08-12, 11:12 AM
Can't complain where I live in Sac county...over 100, but bearable...that is 'till I decided to change the ignition switch in my old mustang. After 40 minutes...that black vinyl took me for a ride down heat stress way...had to retreat to Sam Adams street lol...which basically ended my day of productivity.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-12, 11:42 AM
They heatwave hasn't broke in Madison yet? It broke yesterday here, high was 84* instead of the usual 95-100* we'd been seeing over the last week.

It's supposed to be back into the nineties next weekend, but this week is smooth sailing in the '80s..

rodnok01
07-08-12, 05:26 PM
5 days of 102+ kinda getting on my nerves...must have beer..hmmmm

vincentm
07-08-12, 08:18 PM
Im loving it!

brandondeleo
07-09-12, 04:00 AM
This was about one, hottest part of the day is about 3. Went to sleep before then, but I know it got quite a bit hotter.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/282712_2951281559990_1524344278_n.jpg

CadillacLuke24
07-09-12, 04:39 AM
It's nice and up in the triple digits now. Lovin' Every Minute Of It.

Loverboy fan, eh?

brandondeleo
07-09-12, 04:53 AM
Loverboy fan, eh?
I'm glad somebody caught that. :lol:

Not a big fan, just like random references.

thebigjimsho
07-09-12, 02:36 PM
Gonna be in the low 80s here and dry and sunny all week...

CadillacLuke24
07-09-12, 04:33 PM
I'm glad somebody caught that. :lol:

Not a big fan, just like random references.

Those are good. I like randomness too.

Not a huge fan myself, but i have some of their greatest hits on my Ipod that I occasionaly enjoy.

rodnok01
07-09-12, 09:23 PM
I actually turned the ac off for a couple hours today...it rained after high of 100. Changed the dog's pool water and it didn't feel like bath water. 9 out of 10 days 100+
Going for bike ride if the humidity is low in the morning and off to the batting cages.

dkozloski
07-09-12, 09:58 PM
Still low 70s.

brandondeleo
07-09-12, 11:20 PM
105 again. It seems that as the rest of the country is starting to get some relief it's getting worse for us. :lol:

At least it's only about 20% humidity.

Faded Crest
07-10-12, 12:53 AM
97 today, but they are predicting just 81 on Thursday! I hope the weatherman is right for a change... :rolleyes:

CadillacLuke24
07-10-12, 02:01 AM
Maybe I should ditch the medical field and become a forecaster. Not to rain on your parade Faded, but I heard that meteorology is the only profession where you can be dead wrong and still have a job :D

Faded Crest
07-10-12, 02:18 AM
Maybe I should ditch the medical field and become a forecaster. Not to rain on your parade Faded, but I heard that meteorology is the only profession where you can be dead wrong and still have a job :D

You're preaching to the choir there.... I am always railing on those guys. Weather forecasters have gotten so bad over the past few years that it's just embarrassing. All they are good for is telling you what already has happened.

CadillacLuke24
07-10-12, 03:09 AM
I know! A lot of them suck. The Weather Channel is still relatively decent, but a vast majority of them have gone to the toilet.

I'm gonna make a correct weather prediction for tomorrow. For the entire country.

It's going to be between 200 degrees and -100 degrees Fahrenheit.

BOOM. Forecasting done. :D

brandondeleo
07-10-12, 03:37 PM
Our forecast is absolutely useless, but it's really odd that it's been spot on for the past couple of weeks.

During the winter it's not even worth thinking about the forecast.

brandondeleo
07-10-12, 03:37 PM
...but if it's a hot weather girl, it's still worth watching.

CadillacLuke24
07-10-12, 04:11 PM
Cue Dagmar.

rodnok01
07-10-12, 06:45 PM
...but if it's a hot weather girl, it's still worth watching.

The hotter the girl the less I care about the forecast :lildevil:

Submariner409
07-10-12, 07:12 PM
5:40 PM. 88 degrees, sort of overcast. Not a breath of air. 5:44 PM, it starts raining - like a cow pissin' on a flat rock ! 3/4" of rain in 25 minutes, not a lick of thunder. All gutters flushed squeaky clean. Rain is ending..... errr, tapering off. Humid, to say the least.

But we needed it, even if the downpour was very local - called a friend 3 miles south and the sun is out. Go figure.

Update at 6:25 - 1.5" of rain in 40 minutes. Most impressive, and the blob of clouds is not moving - it's still raining HEAVILY ! Called in a report to NWS, Mt. Holly, NJ.

talismandave
07-10-12, 08:38 PM
....it starts raining - like a cow pissin' on a flat rock !

Update at 6:25 - 1.5" of rain in 40 minutes. Most impressive, and the blob of clouds is not moving - it's still raining HEAVILY ! Called in a report to NWS, Mt. Holly, NJ.

Now that is some visual imagery! That should go up on "sayings" thread.

And any time you get enough, send it back this way! Two weeks ago they said said certain varieties of grass won't come back so we should water. A week ago they said don't water, supply is shot. No rain since Memorial Day. Now the city is asking people to water their trees in the right-of-way strip! Guess it depends on who owns them.:bigroll:

We have a local weather man who gives his 4 degree guaranty. Brags about 75% accuracy. Sounds fair enough, until you realize he gets the temp he predicts, and 4 above and below it! That's 9 degrees! So in other words 25% of the time he can't guess within 10 degrees.:tisk:
:histeric:

brandondeleo
07-10-12, 10:34 PM
It cooled down today! 99. :lol:

Faded Crest
07-11-12, 01:05 PM
Relief at last! 76 right now on the way to 82, (they say). Thank God!... And not a moment too soon!

rodnok01
07-11-12, 05:26 PM
85 and humid today, actually could spend time in the pole barn... yea! Raining now, nice and slow. Grass is gonna be 2 ft tall by the weekend when it stops raining...

talismandave
07-11-12, 11:03 PM
I watered the straw that used to be my folks lawn....:bigroll:

Ranger
07-11-12, 11:13 PM
I assume it is a dry up by you as it is down here.

Barn down the road "caught" fire and burned down last night. I thought I smelled something burning around midnight. Turns out I did.

MrHolland
07-11-12, 11:30 PM
I have my sprinklers set to come on, but never anticipated it would be this hot. I hope I return home to see some grass left in my yard. I take a great deal of pride in having the nicest grass in the hood, as illustrated in this photo set to a back drop of a Cadillac

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Mrholland55/20120425_180839_1.jpg

If given an opportunity, I will always figure a way to post a pic of my car!!! :cool2:

CadillacLuke24
07-12-12, 03:03 AM
If you always include your Cadillac in the picture, you are DOING IT RIGHT! :thumbsup:

MrHolland
07-12-12, 03:36 AM
^^^I'd argue if I could!!^^^

brandondeleo
07-12-12, 03:37 AM
Took a look at the extended forecast... The nearest I see any relief is next Tuesday at 85*. That'll feel nice, I'm sure. Today it was 100* at 19% humidity. Absolutely perfect for being in the pool.

talismandave
07-12-12, 09:48 AM
I have my sprinklers set to come on, but never anticipated it would be this hot. I hope I return home to see some grass left in my yard. I take a great deal of pride in having the nicest grass in the hood, as illustrated in this photo set to a back drop of a Cadillac

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Mrholland55/20120425_180839_1.jpg

If given an opportunity, I will always figure a way to post a pic of my car!!! :cool2:
That is the only reason we will tolerate you posting a picture of your lawn!:bigroll:

Actually the lawn does look great. This year started out so nice and early with good weather, it was the year I did some seeding and fixing to get my folks lawn looking good. At 83 dad has not done anything to it in years. That is why it hurts so much to see it now.

I hope yours is still looking high and tight when you get home!:thumbsup:

brandondeleo
07-12-12, 09:56 AM
That is the only reason we will tolerate you posting a picture of your lawn!:bigroll:

Actually the lawn does look great. This year started out so nice and early with good weather, it was the year I did some seeding and fixing to get my folks lawn looking good. At 83 dad has not done anything to it in years. That is why it hurts so much to see it now.

I hope yours is still looking high and tight when you get home!:thumbsup:
I fertilized my lawn at the beginning of the season, but I wasn't aware that there was something wrong with the spreader, so it was only putting down half of the fertilizer. (Only one side.) The result was a snaking pattern of darker taller grass all over the lawn. It's ridiculous. I haven't found the time to go down there and buy some triple 16 and fix it... *lazy*

talismandave
07-12-12, 09:59 AM
Had you known you could have gotten creative! lawn art!

brandondeleo
07-12-12, 10:13 AM
Had you known you could have gotten creative! lawn art!
I'll take pictures and sell them to hipsters!

BIGREECE
07-12-12, 07:02 PM
Never got above 71 degrees today, currently 67 and cloudy:) I'm making chili as we speak, feels like fall:stirpot:

CadillacLuke24
07-12-12, 10:17 PM
YOU SUCK. It's 89 here and I just got back from a sizeable bike ride. On the bright side, I saw a beautiful black XLR-V. :D

talismandave
07-12-12, 11:39 PM
Temps are down in the upper 80s, low humidity, not bad. I have my windows open finally. Humidity and temps are to go back up so I enjoy while I can.
No rain yet, 40% chance this weekend.
Local weatherman put out a plea to viewers to...."Wash and wax your cars, and leave them outside with the windows down." :)

CadillacLuke24
07-13-12, 01:25 AM
He should call me. Last time I washed my car, it rained. Crap, last time I washed my MOM's car, it rained.

talismandave
07-13-12, 04:19 PM
RAIN...:bouncy:...IT ACTUALLY RAINED! Only for about 15 min, people were running out in it like children.:nanaparty:
We are predicted to have more the next couple days.
Too late for the farmers probably.

BIGREECE
07-13-12, 05:35 PM
RAIN...:bouncy:...IT ACTUALLY RAINED! Only for about 15 min, people were running out in it like children.:nanaparty:
We are predicted to have more the next couple days.
Too late for the farmers probably.

At least it knocked the dust off, keep the rain dance going!

CadillacLuke24
07-14-12, 02:28 AM
I'm telling ya. I make it rain :lol: I have plenty of stories.

brandondeleo
07-14-12, 04:19 AM
I was over in Seattle today, and it was only 80 there but it was so humid I was sweating. Humidity sucks. SO glad I don't have to deal with that crap in Ellensburg.

Faded Crest
07-15-12, 11:02 PM
Shocked to see that it was only 92 today... The humidity was 87% It felt like 120 to me.

brandondeleo
07-16-12, 04:47 AM
Cooled down a whole lot today. It only got up to around 80, but between the partial cloud cover and the 40-50mph winds it sure didn't feel like it.

rodnok01
07-16-12, 02:05 PM
It was a real B***h here Saturday too faded, wasn't even 90 but the humidity was off the chart. About killed myself weed waking, mowing and catch up work from all the rain last week. Yesterday was a hard earned migraine from Saturday, yea me.

ShapeShifter
07-16-12, 02:23 PM
I'm telling ya. I make it rain :lol:....
I believe ya!:lol:
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/wesleyja/MakinItRain.jpg

talismandave
07-16-12, 05:44 PM
Where did you get Luke's photo?:histeric:

talismandave
07-16-12, 06:23 PM
The temp's are climbing here again. 99 today 104 tomorrow. Local ABC news were in today to interview me about hose and sprinkler sales. Our 1/100th of an inch last Friday didn't go to far.
I can't wait to watch and see what I said! 15 min of interview = 45 seconds on air.:D
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/IMG_20120716_145731.jpg

On a side note, has anyone heard from Orconn. I am starting to get concerned about his absence. Was he planning to go away that I missed it or should we be sending out the dogs?

Ranger
07-16-12, 09:49 PM
He has been uncommonly quiet now that you mention it.

It's amazing how parched and dry everything is, yet the weeds in my driveway just seem to flourish. :annoyed:

talismandave
07-17-12, 02:28 AM
At my parents home where I am "grounds keeper" the yard consisted of a small forest of 4 to 6 inch tall trees/bushes growing amid the straw that was grass. We only made 98 today. The weatherman said that in an average year we break 3-5 record highs. This year so far we have broken 20 so far at just half way through the year.

CadillacLuke24
07-17-12, 03:41 PM
I believe ya!:lol:
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/wesleyja/MakinItRain.jpg

:histeric: I wish!

Hey, maybe I should post a true pic of that. I just gotta make sure I don't scare anybody when I throw my coins in the air.

truckinman
07-17-12, 10:26 PM
Was in Kalamazoo MI earlier and it was 101. Was same all the way to Gary IN. Going up to see my dad in Northern MI in the northern part of the upper peninsula with his own beach right on lake superior. I just hope I get a break in the heat up there. Although Chrissy wants to go swimming on his beach and only way water will be warm enough there even in Aug, is if its been in the 90s to 100 all summer. Lol.

ShapeShifter
07-18-12, 09:14 AM
We had another record setting day yesterday @ 102*. Later that day I was set to attend a 6pm outdoor concert titled “The Brazilian Experience” on the Cass Lawn at the Detroit Main Library. Thankfully, they rescheduled it to their inside air conditioned auditorium…. the show was a blast! All songs were done in their native Portuguese with the exception of a couple with saucy Latin Lyrics.

Presently, we’re getting light rain with thunder showers or storms slated for midmorning and afternoon, with high temp only to reach near 90*....but extremely high humidity. It’s going to be an interesting day, as I’m scheduled to attend a retiree’s picnic at noon. Which vehicle should I let get wet? What to do, what to do? :hmm:

brandondeleo
07-18-12, 09:14 PM
Ugh, thought the heatwave was over since we had a string of severe thunderstorms and mild temperatures, but it shot back up to the high nineties today and there's no going back!

MrHolland
07-19-12, 12:22 AM
The temp's are climbing here again. 99 today 104 tomorrow. Local ABC news were in today to interview me about hose and sprinkler sales. Our 1/100th of an inch last Friday didn't go to far.
I can't wait to watch and see what I said! 15 min of interview = 45 seconds on air.:D
So how was your 15min of fame?? Any movie or book deals on the horizon??

talismandave
07-19-12, 01:24 AM
So how was your 15min of fame?? Any movie or book deals on the horizon??
They completely ignored my new Platinum status. In retrospect, I suppose spending eight minutes of the interview talking about Cadillac Forums was...ill advised.

I am on once or twice a year. Sort of old hat by now. We are about a mile from the three major network local station, and they all have charge accounts and shop with us regularly. Lots of local celebrities shop personally with our store. (to avoid large crowds, and be seen shopping local) So we also get the anchors and weather people. So between the three we are on three to four times per year. The store manager or I are usually the only ones who will do it. Most of my co-workers act like a bushman who is afraid the camera will "steal his soul".

We actually got about 3/4 of an inch of rain today so a little help fell nice and slow for the most part.

talismandave
07-22-12, 12:59 AM
Well, here are a couple of photos I referred to in earlier posts.

They finally got to my power pole. Spaced a quarter mile apart and of course it would be straight out of my window.:nono: But the AC is still feeling good...so...:happyhappy:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/IMG_20120719_130855.jpg

I mentioned how my folks lawn was foresting over. I had already cleared theirs, but here is a pic of the neighbors yard.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/IMG_20120718_155239.jpg

Temps have been good last few days but are climbing again. The 2 inches rain we got was a band of storms that was about 60 miles wide and ran about 150 miles. So didn't help much of the state. Even around here it didn't do enough.

CadillacLuke24
07-22-12, 03:47 PM
It's still toasty here. Hasn't dropped below 90 for the past couple weeks I believe. MONSTER storms have been rolling through, so naturally Alexandra gets to watch from the parking garage at the hospital. She hates hail :D

Yup, proud patient of Obsessive Cadillac Disorder :excited:

:histeric:

ShapeShifter
07-22-12, 04:35 PM
....here is a pic of the neighbors yard.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/IMG_20120718_155239.jpg
Glad your A/C's chillin' again.....and nice weeds the neighbors growin'.:D

talismandave
07-22-12, 05:18 PM
It kind of creeps me out, reminds me of the shows about the cities growing over after extinction of humans that some network did a couple years ago!:hide:

orconn
07-22-12, 05:38 PM
It is my understanding that the reassertion of the forests in America have been so successful that they have retrun the eastern and souther parts of the United States to forseted acreage equal to that of the pre colonial period!

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 02:59 AM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/IMG_20120716_145731.jpg

On a side note, has anyone heard from Orconn. I am starting to get concerned about his absence. Was he planning to go away that I missed it or should we be sending out the dogs?I happened to be driving to MN at about this time. Through Ontario and the MI UP, it was warm but with a wind. The V had the A/C on. I heard it was nasty hot in St Paul. The rest of the week I was out there, it was nice. Saturday, the 21st got a bit hot, but not crazy, about 92.

I drive back home and it's nice here in MA...

thebigjimsho
07-29-12, 03:07 AM
It is my understanding that the reassertion of the forests in America have been so successful that they have retrun the eastern and souther parts of the United States to forseted acreage equal to that of the pre colonial period!That is, indeed, the case in MA and most of New England...

talismandave
07-29-12, 03:10 AM
Things have calmed down here lately. mid to high 80s and a little rain the other day (about 2").

MrHolland
07-29-12, 11:35 PM
My wife sent me a couple of pics. I'm broken hearted that the Crabgrass has really crept into my front yard. With all the heat though, yard is still the greenest in the hood!!! I think lately its been around 94, so it has cooled down some.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Mrholland55/Escalade/20120729_171636.jpg

talismandave
07-30-12, 01:54 AM
We have had some rain so a few places are getting green but it is real spotty. All my seeding I did in march has died. It was in great but not deep rooted enough.
Your lawn still looks great, Ortho Weed-Be-Gon has a crabgrass killer in spray bottle. Also Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer in spray bottle or hose end bottle. (available at your local True Value Hardware.:D)

CadillacLuke24
07-30-12, 02:30 AM
Drop some Scotts crabgrasskiller and you'll be set!

Ranger
07-30-12, 11:30 AM
Crabgrass killer has to be applied in spring before it emerges.

talismandave
07-30-12, 02:57 PM
No...Crabgrass Preventer like Haltz needs to be applied before germination which occurs when the soil temp. nears 60 degrees.
Crabgrass Killer will work any time it is present.

orconn
07-30-12, 05:35 PM
Gosh, being a Californian, if it's green we just mow it and call it "grass!"

MrHolland
07-30-12, 06:16 PM
Or smoke it! LOL

orconn
07-30-12, 06:21 PM
Or smoke it! LOL

We let that kind of grass dry out before we try to smoke it, how do you smoke yours in Kansas?

MrHolland
07-30-12, 06:28 PM
Not much green in the midwest these days, that I'm aware of,,,,besides my front yard!!

Kansas is a very good guess though.

talismandave
07-30-12, 09:36 PM
If I kill the weeds all I'll have is dirt!

Ranger
07-30-12, 09:49 PM
No...Crabgrass Preventer like Haltz needs to be applied before germination which occurs when the soil temp. nears 60 degrees.
Crabgrass Killer will work any time it is present.
Ahh, I guess I was thinking of the preventer. Is the killer selective or is it like weed killer and takes the grass out with it?

talismandave
07-30-12, 10:21 PM
They are selective and safe for grass. Read back label because there are some it won't work in. Not an issue up here but different varieties in different areas. Bayer also has the same weed and crabgrass or just crabgrass killers.
These are only the second year we have had these products so they are fairly new. Prior to that the preventers was about it. The only reason I know about them is I have to.
Never tried them and not sold tons of it but it is catching on. People who use the Weed-B-Gon products come in and can for a couple bucks more get it with the crabgrass killer too so it will probably stick around.

brandondeleo
07-30-12, 10:23 PM
http://tuliodibao.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bob-marley.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-30-12, 10:36 PM
It was 82 with no humidity today in Boston. If I parked in the shade, I could sit in my suit and not get hot at all. Therefore, no A/C. Right now, it's about 67 and clear as can be. Beautiful!

And we got plenty of rain over the weekend so I'm eager to see my lawn come back and start to grow again...

brandondeleo
07-30-12, 10:38 PM
Today in Ellensburg? 90 and crystal clear, but the wind's floating around 45mph.

Ranger
07-30-12, 11:01 PM
People who use the Weed-B-Gon products come in and can for a couple bucks more get it with the crabgrass killer too so it will probably stick around.
What they don't realize is that a gallon of 2-4-D from Farm & Fleet (Fleet Farm up by you) is the same thing as Weed-B-Gone and it will make about 7 gallons.

talismandave
07-30-12, 11:08 PM
Yup, and we are Farm and Fleet here too. Beaver Dam about 50 miles NE is Fleet Farm!

Ranger
07-30-12, 11:09 PM
Ahh, I thought the state line was the deciding factor. Learn something new everyday.

Jesda
07-31-12, 02:12 AM
Summer in St Louis
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m472zcZsBg1rpw4xk.gif

rodnok01
08-01-12, 12:55 PM
Summer in St Louis
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m472zcZsBg1rpw4xk.gif

That's awesome... looks like something my sibes would do.

talismandave
08-01-12, 01:35 PM
Just Like Home...:histeric: