: 1996 Deville - starter faults and low voltage - please help

sweet1forever
06-27-12, 10:31 PM
alright, i have a cadillac deville sedan 96 and my dad had problems with the starter solenoid and bypassed it. lately i was having issues with my voltage coming from my battery so i went and replaced the battery thinking it would solve the problem but my voltage was still low, my friend thought the problem would be the alternator or the starter. today the car wouldnt start at all it sounded as if it was the battery or starter so when we tryed to start it again later in the day it began to smoke beneath the starter solenoid, deeper in the engine we did not see exactly where it came from. any advice if youve had a similar issue and could give some insight?

the picture is of the bypass my dad rigged up

Submariner409
06-28-12, 07:53 AM
Remove the faulty jury rig and return the starting system to normal - stock. Troubleshoot the starter - if your engine is the 4.6 Northstar the starter is underneath the intake manifold and that must be removed for starter/solenoid service.

Your low voltage finding points to either the battery, wiring/connectors or the alternator/voltage regulator itself.

If you don't get other advice within a day or so, I will move this question up to Deville.

Welcome Aboard !!!!.................:welcome:

sweet1forever
06-28-12, 11:01 AM
thank you somuch i will try that today, ok i wont but my car smart friend shall im lost when it comes to cars
:cookoo:

sweet1forever
06-28-12, 08:21 PM
tested the starter and it was bad so we replaced it and then put it all back together and the car wont start or crank at all electrical stuff comes on and a message pops up saying theft system problem car may not restart

sweet1forever
06-28-12, 08:55 PM
i have 1 more question there is a small box down next to driver front wheel behind radiator it has what seem to be high pressure lines. friend thought it might be some sort of computer but we are sure it was smoking yesterday before car did the anti theft issue could this be the cause of the theft issue and what component is this?