Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering problems!

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Koooop 
#1 ·
Hey guys, need some help! Bumped a curb hard with my V. Broke a wheel and bent the subframe on the passenger side. Had both replaced and got her back from the shop last weekend. Mechanic said it is aligned and that he got it perfect... It tracks true and turns to the right great, but when I turn left there is a lot of tire noise and it doesn't want to go that way very well at all. any ideas?

#3 ·
Hi yframe65,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experiencing this after your accident! Were you at a Cadillac dealership for the repairs? If not, taking your vehicle for diagnosis at a Cadillac dealer may be a great next step for you. Bigtuna's suggestion to have a technician go for a demonstration with you in your V is also excellent!

Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#6 ·
Not sure if I'm the only one... while appreciate Cadillac Customer Service playing an active role on this forum, it has its own forum. Your "I'm so sorry you're having X problem. Go to your nearest Cadillac dealership for repairs." is getting tiresome. We all realize the dealership is an option. We come to the forums for a actual car owner knowledge to fix (and mod) our cars. Otherwise, everyone should just stop asking questions and go to our dealer. If that's the case, no need to come to this forum anymore.

#5 ·
Man there are alot if things it could be. First thing that comes to mind is suspension, you might have a seized shock on one side. You might have binding sway on one side or the sway bar is not alignedin general (if aftermarket) Worn sway bar bushing or a loose bracket would be an issue. Could be loose steering rack bolt(s). Could be a wacked rack-you did hit a curb. Could be a bent inner tie rod, bent control arm(s). Could be low air pressure in one tire, front or rear. My rear right tire has a super slow leak and when it gets low just by 2psi the V pulls to the right and it's harder to steer left. Could be the steering column binding in one direction. Could be bad tires. Maybe the alignment is bad even though it tracks straight. When the wheels turn, more of the other measurements come into play like caster and camber. Alignment and tires are big.

If you go into a dealer blind you are asking for a big league ass violation. Stay lubed my friend.

#10 ·
I had a hard to steer issue from 20,000 miles to 70,000 miles with my V. Turned out there was sludge in the power steering system, but flushing the system is not warranty and was never done. A rack, a few pumps etc... And the tech says "try flushing the system, it'll cost you $139". Problem solved.. You wrecked, go to a top notch suspension shop and find out what's up.

#12 ·
I think it's great that they care enough about our out of warranty hoopties that they even read about V1. Cadillac is paying someone to give a poop about you. Feel the love!

#14 ·
Yep, I'm blind all right. Those bastards probably want me to buy another Cadillac!

I will comply...

But I'm not stupid, the local Caddy dealer just gave me a bid for $1,750 for a front suspension problem on my TBSS. LOL, it was $609 repair at the independent shop (where the guy actually knows his ass from a hole in the ground).

To bad the OP doesn't have his location up, someone could refer him to a good suspension shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.