: How do 24s feel on the EXT?

AK-CTS
06-27-12, 10:41 AM
There's an ad in the local Craigslist that wants to trade a set of 24s for 22s, they look good, what are the drawbacks to going to a 24 over a 22?

fivepix
06-27-12, 11:47 AM
Biggest thing is ride quality and some minor rubbing depending on you wheel and tire setup.

WaterKing
06-28-12, 12:47 AM
If you plan on or have lowered your EXT, I personally would not do it. It all depends on what you want to achieve. The thinner aspect ratio USUALLY used to minimize rubbing will probably reduce ride quality and make your wheels/tires more susceptible to curb damage. However there are some additional factors....cheaper (i.e. Non forged and even some forged) wheels can be significantly heavier than stock 22" wheels which hurts gas mileage, increases stopping distance, adversely effects the shock calibration, and causes more rapid wear to suspension components. So the quality(weight) of the wheel/tire combination must be considered as well as the rubbing and offset used to minimize that.

Now that I have told you all the potential bad things that could result I will say many have successfully installed 24's for their appearance in filling the wheel wells without too many issues depending on the size of the tire. My EXT is lowered 3" with a GroundForce spindle front/spring rear kit. I used Bazo Forged 24" wheels and Falken Ziex S/TZ04 305/45R24's that are rated at 3086Lbs per wheel. They are huge tires and definitely too large for a stock let alone a lowered EXT. This combination required extensive modification to the inner plastic wells front and rear, the whole rear support area of the front fenders had to clearanced 1.5", the front inner bumper braces had to be trimmed 2", the windshield washer tank had to be remounted 2" to the front on its lower mount. And I still occasionally rub in the front. Additionally, at full turn the inner sidewall will just slightly rub the Hockiss sway bar so I think I will put some 1/8" wheel spacers on the front. I had to move the rear axle back 1" (installed a 9.5 at the same time) to prevent the tires from rubbing the front of rear wheel arch and center the wheels in the rear arches (note, as the rear suspension compresses the rear axle moves forward more than an inch and sideways 3/4" to the right). Lowering moves the axle too close to the front. Of course moving it back I had to clearance the rear of the wheel wells and change the trailing arm mounting points on the axle. I had to use 1/4" wheel spacers to clear the front trailing arm mounts and the suspension position indicators had to be modified to clear the tires. Most of this I discovered as I went along AFTER I bought the tires/wheels and was determined to make them work and I am not telling you even half of the agony I went through. I left out some of the myriad of minor changes. I will say this though..I owned a 2008 EXT with stock 22's at the same time as I modded the 2007 EXT and when it was done the 2007 rode smoother, handled better, got better gas mileage, and had really filled up wheel wells. Everything was the same between them except the lowering kit and the mods done to accommodate the wheels/tires and it got even better after I installed MR shocks all around from a 2011. Even with the positive end result, I would not do it again. I should have just bought different tires and suffered the ride degradation.
Maybe some other members will chip in and give you the maximum size tire and offset for the wheels that will fit on a non lowered EXT/ESV.

AK-CTS
06-28-12, 11:29 AM
^Thanks for the info, not gonna do it. :)

Hymak
06-29-12, 01:59 PM
Good choice on NOT doing the trade... I ran with 24's on one of my past trucks... what a rough ride! AND because of the lo pro tires every dip and bump turns you into a slow old lady driver so don't rub or damage the rim. I will NEVER go over a 22 again.