: Dean Martin's Ghia on Ebay

ted tcb
06-25-12, 09:30 PM
Love the little details in the interior.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370610259730+&viewitem
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370610259730+&viewitem)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/ebay_4130_1.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/ebay_4130_12.jpg

Aztec ETC ECS
06-25-12, 10:39 PM
A Barris Custom. Odd looking but cool. If those seats could talk!
Check the foolish offers from the thinking impaired.

ted tcb
06-25-12, 10:55 PM
A Barris Custom. Odd looking but cool. If those seats could talk!
Check the foolish offers from the thinking impaired.

Looking at those 6 offers, one wonders why the seller even bothered with Ebay.
A car with this type of pedigree needs to be offered at a serious auction.

orconn
06-25-12, 11:35 PM
I am somewhat familiar with the Dual Ghia cars. They were a favorite of the "Rat Pack" back in the late fifties and sixties. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., et al. all had at least one. Sinatra and Martin had several of the Duals. I don't get the George Barris Kuston connection, the car shown here appears to be a very stock Dual Ghia with no alteration by Barris that I can see.

These cars were never in the same class as the Astons, Ferraris, and Maseratis of the day and until recently brought prices in the mid five figures. Their used to be a podiatrist in L.A. who really had a thing for Dual Ghias and bought up a bunch of them in the late '70s and '80's. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a Dual Ghia, maybe some collector would find a Dean Martin car really attractive, but I would think most of old Dino's fans (old ladies in 50's and sixties when he was alive) have gone on to the "Big Prime Time" in the sky along time ago.

I am not big on celebrity owned cars, I remember seeing cars like Dan Blocker's Maserati coupe at Peter Satori's in Pasadena that had a definite list to one side due to the big man's girth! Do you guys think celebrity cars are really worth so much more?

ted tcb
06-25-12, 11:40 PM
Do you guys think celebrity cars are really worth so much more?

Well, I, for one, would think that a 2002 SLS owned by Orconn would go for a premium if listed at CF:)

Seriously, though, thanks for adding the additional details ... I enjoy reading about your experiences in
LA back in the 70's and 80's.

Koooop
06-25-12, 11:47 PM
I am somewhat familiar with the Dual Ghia cars. They were a favorite of the "Rat Pack" back in the late fifties and sixties. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., et al. all had at least one. Sinatra and Martin had several of the Duals. I don't get the George Barris Kuston connection, the car shown here appears to be a very stock Dual Ghia with no alteration by Barris that I can see.

These cars were never in the same class as the Astons, Ferraris, and Maseratis of the day and until recently brought prices in the mid five figures. Their used to be a podiatrist in L.A. who really had a thing for Dual Ghias and bought up a bunch of them in the late '70s and '80's. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a Dual Ghia, maybe some collector would find a Dean Martin car really attractive, but I would think most of old Dino's fans (old ladies in 50's and sixties when he was alive) have gone on to the "Big Prime Time" in the sky along time ago.

I am not big on celebrity owned cars, I remember seeing cars like Dan Blocker's Maserati coupe at Peter Satori's in Pasadena that had a definite list to one side due to the big man's girth! Do you guys think celebrity cars are really worth so much more?

Harris did a few cars for those guys, I'd guess the Barris sticker was put on the Ghia because george was working on another car for dean at that time.

CadillacLuke24
06-25-12, 11:52 PM
Celebrity cars carry the "bling factor". OOOOO My favorite actor drove this! He's normal like me! It's kind of cool to have something that your actor or celebrity drives, because it ties you to them, it seems. You're just a tad closer to them.

That being said, I'll take one of Jeff Gordon's 2001 Chevy Monte Carlos, complete with the 358 CID SB2 V8, 4 speed manual trans, and sheet metal bodywork with the giant 24 on the door :D

The-Dullahan
06-26-12, 01:56 AM
Favourite Celevrity? I don't think I have one of those. Hell, I probably couldn't match names to faces for any of the big ones from today's era..or any other era, I guess. Never had time to be aware of trivial things like that.

I DO know who Dean Martin is (Family thing) and while that is a lovely automobile (Though it is not quite my style) I could not imagine wanting a car simply because someone famous happened to have once been connected to it. That is a really absurd reason to buy something.

That being said, I think in the end, the seller will get a great deal of cash for it and why shouldn't they? There is a market for it. Also, the lowball offers, I believe, happen to mostly be completely done in a joking, non-serious fashion. I doubt anyone seriously expected it for any of those prices (Who bids 1-2-3-4-5-6 seriously?) except the $45,000 one. That schmuck probably thought he stood a chance.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 03:26 AM
Oh god, sexy. Do want.

My grandpa worked with Barris for a while. I've heard many good stories.

Rolex
06-26-12, 06:36 AM
They should take that car to a reputable auction. F'ing Ebay. :bigroll:

EcSTSatic
06-26-12, 10:37 AM
Don't forget John Voight's Chrysler LeBaron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2iNNqj2fQ

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 11:01 AM
"Oh look, it's Gregory Peck's bicycle!" :lol:

NoExpert
06-26-12, 03:28 PM
Some jackhole offered $5 for that car!?! That's what I dislike about Fleebay, too many kids playing around on their PCs making "offers" on things they could never afford to buy anyway. I wonder what that car would draw at Barrett Jackson's auction or the equivalent?

orconn
06-26-12, 04:19 PM
You can say what you want about Ebay, but I have sold two cars that I have advertised on Ebay and been happy with the prices both brought. The commissions are reasonable and the coverage is outstanding.

When we needed to sell my wife's '93 Seville STS with 93,000 miles on it and in very good condition I put it on Ebay with an opening bid of $4800.00. Didn't get any takers, but after the auction closed I got a message from a lady here in Richmond who was interested. She came to see the car and bought for $4400.

When the time had come for my '64 Jaguar E-type coupe to find a new home I put it up for auction on Ebay (with a reserve) and was pleasantly surprised to receive excellent bids from buyer all over the world. The bidding passed my reserve on the last day and was won by a very knowledgeable Jaguar enthusiast in Florida who was looking for a really good "original" car. Mine was an original, rust free car, two owner car with a know provenance and documented history. He had it picked up and shipped to his home in Florida and remains very happy with his Ebay buy. I was very happy with sale which brought $43,000 in January of 2008!

I had offered it to fellow Jaguar club members and all they seem to do was whine that maybe my price was to high! The problem with the big auctions for most collector cars is that they don't allow reserves and their commissions eat up the difference between a private sale and the "maybe" auction price. This is why you see some very nice and rare cars on Ebay, their are buyers out their checking the site for special cars.

Rolex
06-26-12, 07:26 PM
Selling a car on Ebay is arguably a little different from selling a collector's car with this kind of value IMO. With the large audience that Ebay offers you can never know who'll be looking though. Either way the seller can't get hurt with his opening bid price set @ >190k. It just seems to me that a car owned by a famous icon like Dean Martin would do better at a reputable auction.

orconn
06-26-12, 07:39 PM
Ebay is all about exposure to interested buyers. A seller isn't going to get hurt as long as his "reserve" isn't reached but he will gain exposure to thise who be able to buy the car. I doubt this seller has any anticipation of someone actually buying this car for his asking price, but his listing may draw interest from which he can negotiated an acceptable deal. I know Hyman Classics LTD., they took over a Saturn agency a couple of miles from my house and use it as sales operation for their collector cars. They used to be located on the northside of Richmond, the collector car side of the company's business has been expanded recently, I guess they have taken over that old time operation in St. Louis we used to see advertied a lot.. When Hyman was selling nice but less "exotic collector" cars their prices were always very high compared to the real market.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 07:58 PM
I had offered it to fellow Jaguar club members and all they seem to do was whine that maybe my price was to high!

:histeric: Sound familiar?? :lol: