: Now, a little whine likely from the drivetrain?

buzz
06-25-12, 09:09 PM
I notice at certain speeds and throttle positions, I can hear a slight whine. It is fairly high pitched, and I might think it was coming from the radio. I can hear the sound whether the radio is on or off, so I doubt it is the sound system. Anyway, it appears between 40-55 mph, and seems slightly related to throttle position; i.e., whether engine is pulling or coasting. I know if I hear the sound, and let up on the throttle, it goes away; however, it doesn't always reappear when I begin accelerating again. It is intermittent and that type of condition is the most difficult to diagnose.

It might be nothing to worry about, and if I had been driving the car for the past 30m miles, and the noise was always there, I would just consider it a bother and nothing more. Unfortunately, as of today, I added @ 5m miles, so the noise is new. I believe I read somewhere the center diff can make this type of sound, I am just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. The 2008 STS is a V6 with the all-wheel drive feature.

buzz
06-25-12, 09:24 PM
I was just scrolling down, and found another recent post about the whining STS. Maybe this is more common than I thought. The question is, should I be concerned or just drive until it gets worse, then spend the $$$? I thought about wheel bearing whine; however, it doesn't seem to make any difference what direction the car is turning. I will double check this the next time I'm out.