: WoW! '04 Pontiac GTO's seem to be priced right!

orconn
06-25-12, 03:35 PM
Was just looking at some of these on Autotrader and was surprised to see several with under 80,000 miles, one owner for $14,000. Does that sound like a good deal?

I am really not in the market, but if I were I'd really consider one of these. Back when these first came out I drove a few of them and was really impressed not only with the performance, but with the handling, build quality and comfort. I would imagine the highway gas mileage wouldn't be all that bad.

truckinman
06-25-12, 04:28 PM
That sounds about ave for my area anyway. 04 was just the 5.7, and not nearly as sought after as the 05-06 6.0 models.

truckinman
06-25-12, 04:33 PM
And from what I've read on gas, they are worse than you would expect. About 20 highway with the 6 speed. I figured, bc of how good the 6 speed ls1 corvettes and F-bodies were, (my buddies 01 WS6 t top 6 speed got 32 highway when driving tame) I figured at least 27 highway for the Goat.

Stingroo
06-25-12, 05:31 PM
I'm SERIOUSLY looking at one of these within the next 2 years or so. Tops of my post-college car list.

M5eater
06-25-12, 06:00 PM
GTO's have always been on the cheap side.

You want one that's in fantastic body condition though. Body parts are hideously expensive if it's anything like the $1200 fenders on my G8.

Stingroo
06-25-12, 06:15 PM
You have a G8 and the V2?

M5eater
06-25-12, 06:25 PM
You have a G8 and the V2?

Had a G8 GT (6.0L V8), gave it up for the V2.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/100_1829.jpg

Sometimes I miss having 1/4 the car payment. I convinced myself the $1500 for a GXP front-end conversion was better spent on a down payment though.

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 06:25 PM
I had a neighbour with a friend who bought one of the modern ones. He wanted a photo shoot with my Pontiac for whatever online group of people he knows and I convinced him to let me drive it for a bit. A pretty fun little car. IIRC, he had about 78,000 miles as well and I distinctly recall him saying he paid $17,50 for it, so presuming he has paid an average amount of money, you are definitely getting a good deal. Not really my thing, so I am really unsure how much they normally sell for. $15,000+ seems a lot for a small eight-year-old Pontiac to me.

thebigjimsho
06-25-12, 06:36 PM
The poor GTO never had the proper engine. From LS1 to LS2.

The V1 is a much better, and sexier, car...

Stingroo
06-25-12, 06:49 PM
Personally, I prefer the GTO.

:coffee:

orconn
06-25-12, 07:54 PM
^^^ Roo, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Great taste in cars too, I hope there is a GTO in your future ... sooner rather than later.

M5eater
06-25-12, 08:00 PM

I have to say.. Right about now. I'd like a V1 to Daily Drive. The exterior has grown on me in recent months. The interior would require some getting used to, but for some reason a clean, lowered V1 looks pretty damn good right about now

M5eater
06-25-12, 08:01 PM

I have to say.. Right about now. I'd like a V1 to Daily Drive. The exterior has grown on me in recent months. The interior would require some getting used to, but for some reason a clean, lowered V1 looks pretty damn good right about now

Stingroo
06-25-12, 09:09 PM
I like the V1, but the GTO is more "me." I guess they're both pretty unassuming, but I just prefer its rounded styling.

M5eater
06-25-12, 09:14 PM
I like the V1, but the GTO is more "me." I guess they're both pretty unassuming, but I just prefer its rounded styling.

don't get me wrong, a GTO is fantastic as well. When I was shopping around after my S4, a GTO was near the top of my list(I knew I wanted a LS powered RWD car). However, I'm a crazy SOB. I'll pick the 4 door every time.

The G8 looked better, it got better MPG, and I thought that I'd like the advantages an automatic brought to the table.

I'm unsure I'd be willing to give up the practicality at this point too. I couldn't imagine trying to not fall asleep for the 700 miles round trip to NJ I made recently for example in the Audi ( 3 people and luggage won't fit in a GTO). And track days are MUCH easier when you have a big boot and ski-pass through.

The-Dullahan
06-26-12, 02:15 AM
Who'd have thought Captain Wagonbeard preferred "rounded styling"

markpetersonii
06-26-12, 02:50 AM
Funny. I have a 04 GTO (ive actually jad 3) and I'm looking at replacing my E500 with a 04-05 DeVille DTS.

For those that are interested...

I bought my 04 with 23k miles earlier this year, for $16k, at a dealership, in Cali. So, $14k for 80k miles is pretty high.

Parts, body wise, VERY EXPENSIVE! Engine wise, not as bad, but still pretty bad, since there isn't much aftermarket competition for our cars.

Value for the cars, is actually going up a tad I've noticed. Also, like any other cars they have their issues. Rear spring sag and rear wheel rub are some of the biggest. Nothing that can't be fixed by you though.

I personally love(d) my GTO(s) and I'll always have at least 1 in my ownership.

If you want one, I suggest looking around for a while before you commit. You will find the one you want, eventually. Also, check out ls1gto.com it's the best GTO forum online. Some of the older members are douches but, they'll eventually help you. Haha

As for gas mileage, I get about 22 highway and 15-17 city with a stock automatic LS1. However, you can get more than that with an intake, headers, exhaust and tune. There are guys getting about 27mpg highway with just that.

Trunk space, lol non existent. You can fit a tool box in it and thats about it.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 03:42 AM
Those GTOs are pretty damn cool. I really like them. They're a little bit of nostalgic muscle under a modern facade.

ben.gators
06-26-12, 03:59 AM
Please make mine a G8 GXP and I will be a happy guy! :D

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 04:11 AM
Please make mine a G8 GXP and I will be a happy guy! :D
:yeah: :lol:

Playdrv4me
06-26-12, 04:35 AM
G8 GXP beats the snot out of the GTO... but I have seen a grand total of 1... ever. That car is going to seriously appreciate in value.

ben.gators
06-26-12, 05:56 AM
That car is going to seriously appreciate in value.

Just like any other expensive car! However exclusivity of the car may (or may not?) help to slow down this process.... Let's face it, buying a brand new or very new expensive car never has been financially a wise decision!

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 07:30 AM
Personally, I prefer the GTO.

:coffee:

Of course you do. It's slower, handles worse, brakes worse, looks bland in that first year, has no trunk, has a smaller back seat, has no nav...

Stingroo
06-26-12, 07:36 AM
Don't want factory nav at all in any capacity. Just what I'd want in 5 years - a giant touch screen that has no support or updates! AMSOME!

Also, it's a coupe, back seats are irrelevant.

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 08:14 AM
Don't want factory nav at all in any capacity. Just what I'd want in 5 years - a giant touch screen that has no support or updates! AMSOME!

Also, it's a coupe, back seats are irrelevant.

Great, so you don't want a nav and don't care about a back seat. You've knocked down 2. What about the rest?

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 08:16 AM
If someone wanted an LS2 powered GTO, that's better. It may be a truck motor, but at least its not suffering from lack of power. And it doesn't look like a boring jelly bean.

No offense to those with them, I just never liked those early ones...

Stingroo
06-26-12, 08:58 AM
Who said it had to be an '04?

All the haterade!

Also - the first 3 can be fixed, and styling is subjective.

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 09:25 AM
Who said it had to be an '04?

All the haterade!

Also - the first 3 can be fixed, and styling is subjective.

Read the title of the thread. Besides, you are the king of haterade.

Jesda
06-26-12, 09:42 AM

You danged fool. Corvette trumps all.

Jesda
06-26-12, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdJxFjRe6E

Stingroo
06-26-12, 10:15 AM

Thread title? Really? That's where you're going? This is CF. Thread titles are irrelevant. :lol:

drewsdeville
06-26-12, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbdJxFjRe6E

Moral of the story: GTO's are for bros.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 11:03 AM
OOOOOVVEEEERRRRRRSTEEEEEEEERRRRR. :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-26-12, 11:03 AM
I remember going to the local Pontiac dealer in 2004 (can't say that anymore) and sitting in the new GTO on the showroom floor. I specifically remember the seats being very comfortable, the fit & finish being stellar and it feeling very mature compared to a Mustang or recently departed Camaro/Trans Am. Between an LS1 Trans Am or Z28, the Mustang GT/Mach 1 or the GTO, I'd go for the goat!

However, compared to the G8 GT and the GTO.... G8 FTW.

Stingroo
06-26-12, 11:18 AM
Yeah, G8 is far out of my price range, though. :lol: I've ridden in one, but never driven. :(

I have SOME experience with the cars and how they ride/drive, because a friend of my dad's does salvage rebuilds, and he's done 4-5 GTOs. I drove an auto one for a weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. 'Tis what really put them on my radar.

Rolex
06-26-12, 11:22 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on a G8 GXP at the local Pontiac dealer a couple years ago. I couldn't get past two things: 1) it had a slushbox. 2)they were asking 5k OVER msrp for the thing. :wtf:

Jesda
06-26-12, 12:26 PM
I love GTOs, but the C5 and V1 are more "me"

One thing the GTO has going for it, in addition to the pretty nice interior, is low resale, so for that reason alone I'd be interested in buying a used one. Like Hondas though, the challenge will be finding one that hasn't been abused. The owners are less mature than the Cadillac and Corvette crowd.

truckinman
06-26-12, 12:42 PM
If someone wanted an LS2 powered GTO, that's better. It may be a truck motor, but at least its not suffering from lack of power. And it doesn't look like a boring jelly bean.

No offense to those with them, I just never liked those early ones...

I'm with you. The 04 with the 5.7 was the most dull looking car. At least with the LS2 they thru on a couple ram air vents and the more aggressive looking duel exhaust tips in different locations as apposed to the 04 with just the 2 pipes coming out of the same muffler.

The-Dullahan
06-26-12, 01:08 PM
Moral of the story: GTO's are for bros.

I resent that. I'm about as far from "Bro" as anyone can get.

thebigjimsho
06-26-12, 01:12 PM
I'm with you. The 04 with the 5.7 was the most dull looking car. At least with the LS2 they thru on a couple ram air vents and the more aggressive looking duel exhaust tips in different locations as apposed to the 04 with just the 2 pipes coming out of the same muffler.

Exactly. It went from bland to aggressive...

orconn
06-26-12, 01:23 PM
I remember going to the local Pontiac dealer in 2004 (can't say that anymore) and sitting in the new GTO on the showroom floor. I specifically remember the seats being very comfortable, the fit & finish being stellar and it feeling very mature compared to a Mustang or recently departed Camaro/Trans Am. Between an LS1 Trans Am or Z28, the Mustang GT/Mach 1 or the GTO, I'd go for the goat!

However, compared to the G8 GT and the GTO.... G8 FTW.

Same impression I had, the G8 was OK ..... as far as looks go, they are subjective. A first generation CTS will never find a place in my garage, Aside from, in my eyes being ugly as sin, they are far too common now in the parking lots of suburbia.

I was impressed with the overall package that is the GTO .... nice comfortable interior (well put together), a great sounding engine, in the '04 a good looking GT body (not fowled up with "kid racer" crap like subsequent year's) and a decent price .... even when new! There appear to be many around used with low mileage and hopefully not abused (I'll bet the automatics are the best bets for being in good condition, again the "kid racer" thing), with as much power as you are dealing with in these cars I much prefer an automatic ... who wants to deal with a heavy clutch all the time and especially in traffic? Over stear? If you don't know how to control a high powered rear drive car you should really stick to front wheel drive "ricers" for your "Boy Racer" kiciks!

But with me it's all hypothetical anyway.

concorso
06-26-12, 05:37 PM
Just like any other expensive car! However exclusivity of the car may (or may not?) help to slow down this process.... Let's face it, buying a brand new or very new expensive car never has been financially a wise decision!He said 'appreciate', not 'depreciate'. ;) The one G8 GXP that was for sale around here, sold for sticker price with 5000 km's on the car, a dealer demo. I know the guy who bought it...havent had a ride in it tho.

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 07:51 PM
:yeah: :lol:

markpetersonii
06-26-12, 09:56 PM

Lmao, you guys have no clue do you? Do some research. The 04s are dual exhaust, coming from 2 mufflers. At least that's the way it is on my stock 04...

Stingroo
06-26-12, 10:19 PM
Uh...? http://www.netcarshow.com/pontiac/2004-gto/1280x960/wallpaper_08.htm

drewsdeville
06-26-12, 10:23 PM
That picture doesn't show any mufflers, bro. Just tailpipes. He is absolutely correct - there is a complete true dual exhaust under there, including mufflers. The tailpipes are just in a non-traditional configuration for a dual exhaust system, being side-by-side. This was a big controversial detail when the car first came out - provoked a lot of discussion. I thought this was all under control by now :alchi:

For those who don't remember (or weren't interested in this car), it was told that GM spent a lot of time tuning this exhaust - for sound. GM claimed that it was the best sounding exhaust system possible for this car's configuration.

Of course, most idiots hacked them all up anyway, because to them, louder = better, and the factory system wasn't nearly loud enough.

drewsdeville
06-26-12, 10:25 PM
I'm about as far from "Bro" as anyone can get.

Yeah?

77CDV
06-26-12, 10:34 PM
Yeah?

He tells the truth. Trust me on this.

drewsdeville
06-26-12, 10:36 PM
oh ok. I'm convinced!

orconn
06-26-12, 11:19 PM
Don't the Watutsi wear skirts and pride themselves on their abilitites with bladed weapons?

markpetersonii
06-27-12, 01:30 AM
Uh...? http://www.netcarshow.com/pontiac/2004-gto/1280x960/wallpaper_08.htm

Seriously? You fail.

http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/f38/13200d1323461378-stock-exhaust-size-pontiacgtoinsides4.jpg

Stingroo
06-27-12, 01:39 AM
EDIT: never mind. :)

truckinman
06-27-12, 04:00 AM
I admit that's an interesting set up on the 04 GTO exhaust. Had no idea. Still don't like it near as much as the 05-06, but it is unique.

Aron9000
06-27-12, 10:27 PM
I think the GTO is a great car wrapped in a vanilla shell. Looks like a 90's Grand Prix coupe or Cavalier. If I'm going to drive a sports coupe, it needs to be aggressive and something I think personally is beautiful. If you're going for stealth, just buy a 4 door for the practicality. I wish they had made all the GTO look like the HSV Monaros they were selling in Australia at the time. Or had at least put those wheels on them stock instead of the UGLY stockers we got in this country.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/hsv-coupe-4-1-large.JPG
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/hsv-coupe-4-2-large.JPG

Still not 100% sold on the styling, but it looks a lot better than the US spec. I love those wheel flares myself.

The-Dullahan
06-28-12, 12:35 AM
Don't the Watutsi wear skirts and pride themselves on their abilitites with bladed weapons?

The Tutsi do, but as the skirts have become even more of a traditional-exception-only than the Kilt has.

Personally, I have always liked their cattle. I could use the skull for an awesome hood ornament, but in the south, these types of things draw "Texan" presumptions and we can't have that.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2205/2114903273_2c25f4bc73_z.jpg?zz=1

Also it's funny. While I generally could not care less for the modern Holden GTO, I did actually know the Dual Exhaust thing. I knew someone who had a Ford Fusion without factory duals and while discussing this anomaly, he mentioned the GTO design and presented me the same photo as MarkPetersonII posted.

Jesda
06-28-12, 12:54 AM

You don't have to be a bro to love the GTO, but bros happen to love them for whatever reason. :P Same goes for Nissan Zs and Nissan GTRs.

I'd be happy to own one.

orconn
06-28-12, 01:08 AM
Now I'm confused. What do you mean by a "bro?"

Jesda
06-28-12, 01:13 AM
Now I'm confused. What do you mean by a "bro?"

http://lolpics.se/pics/3305.jpg

brandondeleo
06-28-12, 01:15 AM
http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/012011/dating-douchebag-1.jpg

orconn
06-28-12, 01:18 AM
Thanks guys I was off on a different track!