: EXT Rear seat question

zogg
06-24-12, 05:16 PM
I recently bought my 07 EXT, and I really like it....I used to have the older body style SUV. The EXT is super for hauling EXCEPT:

I folded the rear seats forward and dropped the rear seat down to make room for my Golden Retriever...did not want him scratching the leather.

It was a very simple and easy process until I tried to get in behind the wheel. I had to move the seat so far forward to accommodate the rear platform that both fronts seats were really cramped. I am 6' and my knees were up against the dash.

So, either I am really stupid and did something wrong, OR it is really crummy design. If I had to drive more than an hour all cramped up, I would probably sell the vehicle....ugh.

I thought about unbolting the seat bottoms so they do not need to tilt forward and take up valuable space, but that seems to be unnecessary to me...

So, before I take a wrench to the rear seats, can anyone steer me in a better direction??? Thanks

evois
06-24-12, 06:02 PM
Just fold the rear back flat. That way the leather is not exposed and you have space to recline or adjust.

quattrotman
06-25-12, 03:48 AM
You are doing it right. Design kinda sucks. I'm 6 foot + and I basically never use the fold flat extend a bed feature because it's too uncomfortable to drive. Ended up putting subs under those seats because I will never fold those seats again :)

zogg
06-25-12, 05:56 PM
It seems crazy that he back seat would be designed to be almost unusable for anyone over 5'8"....I would assume that all of the Avalanches are the same as our $70,000 EXTs....ouch!

I guess if I was going on a long trip and needed the floor flat in the rear, I would actually have to unbolt the seat bottoms and remove them from the truck.... I had an 05 Escalade SUV and never had any trouble using the flat floor to haul stuff. dammiittt!!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-28-12, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your frustration, Zogg! Let me know if you'd like further assistance; I'm just an email away at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

zogg
06-28-12, 05:18 PM
I did a google search and found a post where an Avalanche owner pulled out the headrests, and filed down the locking mechanism and re-installed the headrests. With the headrests removed, the rear seat can be folded flat and I only have to move the front seats forward about an inch...seems like GM could have come up with this option....ugh!!

Anyway, all is good now that I did the modification.....thanks

CStradling24
06-29-12, 03:00 AM
Might not be the best solution but when I have to put the back seats down I squeeze into the front seat then while pushing back with my legs I press the seats reverse button. By using my legs I don't overload the motor but in the end I compress the back seat quite a bit until I have enough room. Surprisingly makes a huge difference and I am 6'1". No issues as of yet and I have been doing it for a while.

fastmak
06-29-12, 04:54 AM
Here is the procedure if anyone should want to do it.

I know that it has been a complaint regarding the rear seat Headrests getting in the way when folding down the rear seats to drop the Midgate. Unless you have extremely short legs, you have to move the front seats forward quite a bit in order to let the rear seats drop down and clear the head rests.

The factory configuration of the Headrests allows for up and down height adjustments with different clicking positions. The only way to remove the Headrests so that the front seats can have more leg room is to insert a small pin into the holes at the base of the Head Rests and release the lock.

I have performed an easy mod which will still allow all of the various click stop height adjustments but when you fully lift up the head Rest, it will slide out after the last position.

Step 1) insert a pin or small tool into holes at base of Head rest mounts. Push in pin and lift up Head Rest on that side. Repeat for other mount base and lift Head Rest all the way out.

step 2) Notice that the last cut out on the posts have a 90 degree ledge. All the other cut outs above these are at a 45 degree cut. The 45 degree cut allows the locking mechanism to slightly hold the Head Rest in that position until a little upward force is applied and the locking tab will just slide back. Obviously when the last cut out is reached, the lock slides in and get's hung up on the 90 degree ledge preventing it from going any further up.

Step 3 ) Place Head Rest posts in a secure vice and file down at an angle the two 90 degree ledges so that they look just like the others. (45 degrees). The key is to make sure that there is no more 90 degree ledge left to hang up the lock. When you have completed and tested one Head Rest, do the other.

The Head Rests store perfectly under the rear seats when folded down and now I can slide the front seats back a bit more.

zogg
06-29-12, 02:34 PM
Yep, what he said...