: The thing people find most interesting on my V-Coupe

Cabretti
06-24-12, 01:53 PM
Is the way the window automatically rolls down an inch or so when you open the door and subsequently rolls up automatically when the door is closed.

(I'm wondering how many owners don't even know this occurs....lol)

They like everything else too off course, no complaints but people dig that window deal.

flatrockguy
06-24-12, 02:30 PM
Do sedans do that also? I haven't noticed it...

stabie
06-24-12, 02:34 PM
Nope sedans don't. Coupe's are like the vette's. No body around the window glass. Its a pretty old trick with the BMW's doing it for even longer. Its called indexing the window for some reason. Minimizes wind noise.

BWhite58
06-24-12, 02:48 PM
I thought the reason was to allow the doors to close easier ?

larry arizona
06-24-12, 03:33 PM
its so at 191MPH your windows dont push out. Seriously it is to stabilize the windows at high speeds and yes a better seal. Like stated above Vettes started doing it I believe on the C5. Need to do it on a frameless door.

Crystal Red CTS-V
06-24-12, 06:58 PM
Just a slight correction - C6 was the first Vette to have the indexing. My C5 didn't have it.

Nastyctsv
06-24-12, 08:31 PM
I get by far the most comments on my Black Diamond paint scheme. People just seem to love it........

nynd
06-24-12, 09:27 PM
Also helps to save the life of the weather stripping around the door by having the window drop down. With the glass rubbing across it, it would't last too long PLUS you get a better seal when the door is closed.

backup
06-24-12, 11:14 PM
The feature appeared on the C6 Vette in 2005. C5 never had it. It is stated that the feature helps ease closing the doors where without it you would get air pressure resisting the door closure. The C6 frameless windows do fit tighter than the C5 so they don't have the wind noise at speed, but window indexing has nothing to do with that. You had to slam the C5 doors due to the air pressure issue, and good luck trying to close the rear hatch or trunk without slamming it shut. The C6 has a power hatch pull-down that eases closure when the doors are shut and windows up. Mercedes debuted the feature many years ago, in the 90s I believe, on some of their frameless windowed coupes.

V Wagon
06-25-12, 09:44 AM
New Mustangs and I believe the 5th gen Camaros do it as well. It is a pretty clever thing.

grasshopper
06-25-12, 11:11 AM
I can verify that...backup...is absolutely correct. The door closing effort was one of customer's top complaint during C5 production. Unfortunately only so much ventilation could be built into that car to relieve the cabin pressure while door was being closed and electronics at the time could not handle the glass indexing addition. So the feature and the benefit could not be added to the Vette until the C6 model years.

Xaqtly
06-25-12, 12:20 PM
BTW I don't know if this applies to the V coupe as well, but on the C6 Vette if you have to replace the battery (like we did on my gf's Vette last weekend) or your battery is dead for too long, the window indexing feature will stop working and the windows won't roll up automatically when you close the door. The procedure to re-enable the indexing, at least on the C6, is this:

With the car turned on:

1. Roll both windows down
2. Roll both windows up and hold the buttons up for 3 seconds after they are fully rolled up, then let go
3. Pull both buttons up again and hold for 3 seconds, then let go

That should re-enable the indexing feature.

gmusquiz
06-26-12, 01:01 AM
I had this feature on my 07 G35 coupe. Was also a cause of one of the many annoyances as it would push up into the seal too much and sounded like it was pushing way too hard and grinding into it. Needless to say after many failed attempts at fixing the problem I am now driving a beautiful 4 door CTS-V!

Steve BigD
06-26-12, 08:53 AM
My wife's 2006 Mustang GT coupe has this exact same feature. I think it is used in coupes to ensure a tight window to door rubber seal.

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe

harrysstsv
06-26-12, 09:13 AM
My 2004 XLR had it too!

Harry

curvedinfinity
06-26-12, 10:41 AM
For me its the recessed door handles. Everyone loves that trick. Oh, and the 556 hp. That one usually is an eye opener.

Pphilthy
06-26-12, 12:39 PM
My 1997 BMW M3 did the same thing...

cts-v-ette
06-26-12, 08:59 PM
Window indexing most interesting feature...cut me a break