: Top pullers, I need help with a bolt

andyoww
06-23-12, 02:30 PM
I only have a few more things to go, then I can yank this motor out.

BUT...

How.
In.
The.
Blue.
Blazes.
Do I remove the transmission to engine bolt that is closest to the driver?

I think I finally found it, (directly below the water pump housing) but how have you people been able to remove it?

The others were 18mm, but this one looks smaller.
I would love the head size as well.

Thanks in advance.

ternstes
06-23-12, 04:33 PM
If you are talking the bell housing bolt closest to the firewall, it is a 15 mm socket. Find the shortest ratchet/socket combo you have and see if it clears the space. I am not sure if a 15mm wrench can work, but if you get it on the bolt head, hook another long wrench onto it for more leverage.

The other thing you could try is removing the water crossover for some extra room..........

97EldoCoupe
06-24-12, 02:02 AM
Ratcheting wrench is what I use, long to loosen, stubby for more swing. 15mm as Ternstes had mentioned :)

83CADMAN
07-02-12, 03:19 PM
Ah...Ratching wrench. I'm off to harbor freight. Thanks Jake.

vincentm
07-02-12, 04:09 PM
Ah...Ratching wrench. I'm off to harbor freight. Thanks Jake.

My harbor freight ones broke when i pulled that bolt. Get a craftsman

andyoww
07-02-12, 04:39 PM
Thanks.

I was able to get the bolt out, but only after removing the water pump housing.

I didn't realize I needed to remove the shift cable & mount to get the big electrical cable out of the way, otherwise I may have been able to get it without taking the housing off.

15mm was right.

83CADMAN
07-03-12, 10:31 AM
My harbor freight ones broke when i pulled that bolt. Get a craftsman
Thank for the heads up.
I Took a good hard look at my own N* to locate the bolt in question. I found it easy enough but the two bell housing bolts at the top, under the crossover, were completely backed out of their respective threads, just hanging loose like they were never threaded in. The threads on the bolts were clean; the bolt head had no tool scratches and looked like brand new bolts. I am not sure what to make of it???? 117k miles on a one-owner car that has never had the engine removed. Wow I wonder if the car made off the assembly line that way?