: Dash board replacement

tantran
06-22-12, 03:59 PM
Has anyone here ever replaced an airbag on a cts-v? Airbag deployed and destroyed it, and don't even know where to start!

jenlain
06-22-12, 04:41 PM
Is this for real?

M5eater
06-22-12, 04:46 PM
Could you clarify a bit?

Can you replace the dashboard? Yes
Has anyone ever replaced an airbag? Yes. Search for the Vagon owner that had his SRS bags replaced and a while new headliner put in.

nynd
06-22-12, 05:18 PM
I think the OP means his passenger side airbag has deployed and its taken out the IP. Hence, the IP skin now needs to be changed so the "dash" needs to be pulled out to replace the bag and skin.

larry arizona
06-22-12, 09:51 PM
When a PAB deploys, yes you must replace the IP SKIN, not the whole IP. Not hard to do. Maybe an hour tops. Modern IP styling has what is called a hidden PAB door. Much better look than the old obvious PAB door. Insurance should cover it.

Trapspeed
06-22-12, 09:53 PM
Insurance should cover it.

Something sneaky tells me that is not an option.

M5eater
06-22-12, 09:55 PM
When a PAB deploys, yes you must replace the IP SKIN, not the whole IP. Not hard to do. Maybe an hour tops. Modern IP styling has what is called a hidden PAB door. Much better look than the old obvious PAB door. Insurance should cover it.

interesting, because I didn't think that GM would stock bulk vinyl in this way?

larry arizona
06-22-12, 10:03 PM
M5 what do you mean stock bulk vinyl? The IP skin is actually the entire top dash pad from driver side to pass side and also is the plastic structure that holds the center stack components etc. Just a service part. All modern OEM designs are currently this way.

larry arizona
06-22-12, 10:05 PM
trap, how would a PAB deploy not be an insurace claims. Means the car was in a frontal accident greater than 22MPH. Much more stuff is messed up than just a PAB and IP replacement.

larry arizona
06-22-12, 10:07 PM
For the new ATS and CTS, GM got smarter and the PAB dash pad is a simple small panel replacement. Probably take less than 15 min to raplace PAB and top pad.

M5eater
06-22-12, 10:25 PM
M5 what do you mean stock bulk vinyl? The IP skin is actually the entire top dash pad from driver side to pass side and also is the plastic structure that holds the center stack components etc. Just a service part. All modern OEM designs are currently this way.

Not familiar with current dashboard design. The last few dash's I've pulled were from 10+ year old Audi's which still had single-piece dashboards. a PAB deployment in one of these would require a dashboard replacement. I can imagine the skin being a replaceable part now that you're saying it's designed in this way.

neuronbob
06-23-12, 08:09 AM
Larry, I read a lot of your recent posts on airbag design and just wanted to thank you for delurking and showing us this info. Learned a lot about my car that I didn't think about before.

Trapspeed
06-23-12, 10:18 AM
trap, how would a PAB deploy not be an insurace claims.

Simple. You're assuming it's a legit claim. His insurance company probably has no clue what happened....assuming there is something awry. Most times I've seen questions like this it's because the owner has done something to or with the car that requires an official report. Shady doings won't get you one and that leaves owners on their own to fix their fubar.

M5eater
06-23-12, 11:25 AM
Simple. You're assuming it's a legit claim. His insurance company probably has no clue what happened....assuming there is something awry. Most times I've seen questions like this it's because the owner has done something to or with the car that requires an official report. Shady doings won't get you one and that leaves owners on their own to fix their fubar.

Agreed.. PAB's do not simply go off (unless you're racing, then anything can happen apparently)

we're not here to tell the OP what he should or should not do though.

Trapspeed
06-23-12, 01:19 PM
Agreed to that. Just stating my observation. :)

larry arizona
06-23-12, 05:45 PM
Fair enough. PAB and top pad are about a $2000 ooopsy.

larry arizona
06-23-12, 05:47 PM
neuronbob, Your welcome. Airbags are kinda outta sight outta mind, but you will be happy they are there god forbid you need one.

V locity
06-24-12, 01:05 AM
Check this out... right @ 53 seconds on the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmB_f4NMmF4

That is the air bag!

Trapspeed
06-24-12, 08:22 AM
Holy shit, what a surprise that would be! Just motoring along and POW! Damn! I'd need Stanley Steemer for my driver's seat after that!

tantran
06-25-12, 03:33 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but yes I have the dash pad to replace it, but all the screws that hold it together intimidate me... All the airbags deployed which have been replaced. Can I possibly have a walk through of the process of removing it? It's a 2011; as all the other airbags have been replaced too.

tantran
06-25-12, 03:42 PM
I forgot to mention that the dash board got destroyed. Can someone elaborate on IP for me?

M5eater
06-25-12, 03:47 PM
I forgot to mention that the dash board got destroyed. Can someone elaborate on IP for me?
Integrated Panel.

The vinyl 'skin' is supposed to be a removable trim piece. I'm not sure if you need to take the dash out to replace this or not. Sounds like an FSM (factory service manual) would be a good investiment at this point.

V Wagon
06-25-12, 04:43 PM
The car from the above video didn't deploy the dash airbag though, just side curtains.

larry arizona
06-25-12, 05:00 PM
IP = instrument Panel. The only thing that is going to give you trouble is the screws up by the windshield, Very tight to get them out. Much easier with the windshield out and I am going to guess you will need it out to service it. Other than that, you need to pull center stack components out as well as the glove box door and gage cluster. Very straightforward from there. Just a guess of about 15 to 20 screws.

You just need to pull the top half of the IP off, not the lower half.

tantran
06-25-12, 05:21 PM
Have you done this kind of job before?

tantran
06-25-12, 05:24 PM
After removing the glove box, center stack components (Stereo system?) and the gauge cluster, I can access all the screws pretty easily? I have the windshield removed also.

tantran
06-25-12, 05:25 PM
IP = instrument Panel. The only thing that is going to give you trouble is the screws up by the windshield, Very tight to get them out. Much easier with the windshield out and I am going to guess you will need it out to service it. Other than that, you need to pull center stack components out as well as the glove box door and gage cluster. Very straightforward from there. Just a guess of about 15 to 20 screws.

You just need to pull the top half of the IP off, not the lower half.

After removing the glove box, center stack components (Stereo system?) and the gauge cluster, I can access all the screws pretty easily? I have the windshield removed also.

larry arizona
06-25-12, 06:18 PM
yes, I have done this on many GM vehicles. Just keep looking for screws. You will get their, Take your time and be patient.

tantran
06-25-12, 08:04 PM
How do I remove the gauge cluster Larry?

larry arizona
06-25-12, 08:23 PM
looks like the dash pad that goes over the gage cluster is snapped with pressure clips. Should pop out and expose the gage fasteners. Did you take off the plastic endcaps on the driver and passenger side? If you have the replacement top pad you should be able to see most of the fastener holes and alignment tabs. I have not pulled apart the CTS top pad, but it can't be too different than any of the other GM top pad designs. Should be an exploded view on GM parts direct too.

tantran
06-25-12, 08:49 PM
I got the IP out finally, and discovering some crazy tight spaced screws. What kind of driver did you use to do this job!?

tantran
06-25-12, 09:08 PM
looks like the dash pad that goes over the gage cluster is snapped with pressure clips. Should pop out and expose the gage fasteners. Did you take off the plastic endcaps on the driver and passenger side? If you have the replacement top pad you should be able to see most of the fastener holes and alignment tabs. I have not pulled apart the CTS top pad, but it can't be too different than any of the other GM top pad designs. Should be an exploded view on GM parts direct too.

Yes I took out the endcaps from both sides, and come to discover some very tough screws to unscrew. People said they could do this job in about 15 minutes, which I find AMAZING! What kind of drive did you use to get the tight spaced screws?

larry arizona
06-25-12, 09:46 PM
TT, I said the new ALPHA (ATS and CTS gen 3) take 15 min to replace PAB and top pad. Not the current CTS top pad (solid 45 to 60 min). Hmmm as far as I recall GM used all phillips or 7mm screws. Congrats. A line worker had to put that top pad in minutes, so I knew you could get it out. Now you have the confidence.

tantran
06-25-12, 11:54 PM
TT, I said the new ALPHA (ATS and CTS gen 3) take 15 min to replace PAB and top pad. Not the current CTS top pad (solid 45 to 60 min). Hmmm as far as I recall GM used all phillips or 7mm screws. Congrats. A line worker had to put that top pad in minutes, so I knew you could get it out. Now you have the confidence.

I'm stuck on 3 bolts on the dash pad, 1 at each pillar and one where the steering column is. By the looks of it, the whole dash needs to come out for me to get underneath, does that sound correct?

larry arizona
06-26-12, 09:17 AM
No you should not need to pull the lower to get the upper off. The a pillar trim may need to come off too before you pull the toppad. Did you pop the top half of teh column cover off (just snap fit on)? Is it behind the leather flap that covers the column? Keep digging, you are almost there.........

tantran
07-17-12, 03:31 PM

Just a late update, I was able to get the dash pad replaced. I ended up having to remove the screws for the lower dash also so I can get underneath for screws that hold the pad. There were about 30 screws which required some dexterity and blood. Thank you for your help Larry, you were a big help!

larry arizona
07-17-12, 05:17 PM
Glad it worked out TT:highfive:. You are welcome, That's what forums are for, helping each other out:thumbsup:!