: Why did an entire thread disappear from the Community Discussion Forum?

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 11:36 AM
There was a thread that had been active for 3 or 4 days in that section and it suddenly disappeared. The subject touched on the viability of buying a new car for gas mileage and comparing new cars' fuel mileage with older cars whose mileage was even better. I would like to know why the topic was censored.

Submariner409
06-22-12, 11:45 AM
The topic itself was not censored - the OP had embedded advertising links into his thread. That is a no-no: the spam guard system caught it and deleted the thread. It's an hourly fight to keep the self-servers and bogus spam posters at bay. You would be flat amazed at the junk you never see.............

As always, you are free to begin a Lounge discussion on the prospect of buying a car for...............whatever reason - just don't hide links to your business in the process.

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Sub! :thumbsup: Eases my mind.

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 05:41 PM
this makes me wonder if you guys check for amazon referral codes embedded in amazon links ... one could possibly make some good money just posting links to good deals on amazon

technically you're helping people out by finding them a good deal but whenever i see someone post a link to an amazon item i tend to wonder if they've embedded their referral code in there

and on the flip side of that when I do post an amazon link i try and make sure that it is the most bare bones link possible

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-504-143-Leveling-Absorber-Assembly/dp/B004LDA1D8/
instead of
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-504-143-Leveling-Absorber-Assembly/dp/B004LDA1D8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340397626&sr=8-3&keywords=acdelco+cadillac+shocks

JimmyH
06-22-12, 10:23 PM
There is an obvious difference between a long time member in good standing posting links to an item online in response to someone else's question on where to get said item, and a new member starting threads just to post links to his website.

I didn't even realize Amazon had a referral program like that.

Ranger
06-22-12, 10:29 PM
Neither did I. Never even heard of anything like that.

RippyPartsDept
06-23-12, 09:50 AM
OK, just wondering ...

Rolex
06-23-12, 01:16 PM
First time poster with a link to one of those massive Japanese electronic wholesale websites in his signature. It was caught early, the user was banned, and the thread deleted.

And this is an internet forum, not a platform for free speech. There's no such thing as "censorship" here. Any post a moderator deems inappropriate for ay reason can be deleted without the need to notify the OP and those who posted in the thread.

talismandave
06-25-12, 12:16 AM
True enough, but if you don't tell us what we did wrong how will we ever learn? In this instance you had a long time member in good standing (I assume?) who felt he had done something wrong even though it was no fault of his own. Luckily Faded Crest spoke up and ask, others may not have and just continued to feel alienated. Just a thought?

Faded Crest
06-25-12, 01:28 AM
Nah, I didn't think I did anything wrong, I was just wondering what happened? I had posted something there that required some research and I was a little annoyed that the thread just disappeared and my post along with it. My post was really kind of off-topic anyway... I was actually wondering if the thread was removed because of the original topic. Apparently that wasn't the reason it was removed and I appreciated the explanation as to why it was.

talismandave
06-25-12, 02:14 AM
Cool.:thumbsup: (Sorry about the "I assume" comment.:) but I really have no way of knowing.)
I think my point is still valid though. That would be a good way for all to learn even those not involved?? Believe me I get mad every time I see someone post the bogus posts, I have no sympathy for the spammers!

Submariner409
06-25-12, 11:10 AM
For background info, please read the sub-forum in here - Site rules: That gives you an idea of what's "tolerated" or not. You see a post or new thread, it looks nice with some sort of question/information - or sometimes even gibberish - but the carefully placed links just don't add up. One of the Site Staff, at whatever level, will edit or delete the post. Fortunately the staff here is very diverse in their political and editorial orientations, so we wind up with a pretty well-balanced forum for advice and opinion, but when someone enters with spam or backdoor advertising attempts, the action is swift and final.

JimmyH
06-25-12, 01:52 PM
Even though that thread was started by a spammer, it turned into a discussion that didn't even involve the OP. i would not have deleted it, but unfortunately, when a spammer gets the hammer, so do all of his posts. And since his was post #1 in that thread, the whole thread got axed. I could restore it, but it was about to turn into a greenie pissing match anyway.