: The california trip

cadi509
06-21-12, 12:13 PM
Last Wednesday we took off from Yakima wa and drove 500mi/8hrs to redding, ca for a family get together, it is the longest road trip I have ever drove. After getting there at around 9 pm on Wednesday we hit the famous in N out burger. The next day we got up And drove another 8hrs round trip over to see the the redwoods and northern California beach, those trees are insanely huge and a must see for anyone... In total I put exactly 1600mi on the Seville in 6 days (which is a lot by my driving standards) and washed her twice while down there..... I must say though I would not live down there for anything, the temp was 100-113 everyday and no less than 75 at night, not to mention the gun laws are absolutely ridiculous, I checked out my cousins ar15....not a fan... Before I ramble anymore here's some pics
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/cadi509/2003%20Cadillac%20STS%20Jet%20Black/68f887dc.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/cadi509/2003%20Cadillac%20STS%20Jet%20Black/9f6992cc.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/cadi509/2003%20Cadillac%20STS%20Jet%20Black/f26099af.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/cadi509/2003%20Cadillac%20STS%20Jet%20Black/1a3c4550.jpg

Faded Crest
06-21-12, 12:40 PM
113? Holy smokes! That would be unbearable. At least it's dry heat though, right? :rolleyes:

cadi509
06-21-12, 12:41 PM
Yea everything's dry

EcSTSatic
06-21-12, 01:54 PM
I didn't realize it got that hot so far north!

1600 miles. As much as I like driving the Cadi, we rent for long trips to keep the miles of her.

drewsdeville
06-21-12, 01:59 PM
That's too bad. Most people take the nice car on the road trip and put it away for everything else - there is no better chance to take advantage of it.

Besides, what will miles hurt? You might keep that odometer number down, but the car is still aging with time so take advantage of it's younger years. You can't enjoy it when it's sitting at home in the garage and you are driving a rental Impala :thepan:

cadi509
06-21-12, 02:11 PM
Personally I wouldn't want to drive anything but a luxury highway cruiser that far

vincentm
06-21-12, 02:17 PM
Ill be making my drive from Richland WA to Sacramento next month in the Eldo. Glad you had fun Charles!

77CDV
06-21-12, 02:30 PM
Great trip! :thumbsup:

cadi509
06-21-12, 02:33 PM
Ill be making my drive from Richland WA to Sacramento next month in the Eldo. Glad you had fun Charles!

Highway 97? Make sure your cruise and a/c works good

cadi509
06-21-12, 02:41 PM
Oh I also forgot to throw in I made it almost 400mi on a full tank and averaged 24-26mpg the whole way

vincentm
06-21-12, 02:42 PM
Highway 97? Make sure your cruise and a/c works good

Im leaving the Tri-Shitties at 4am, and will get to Portland by 8am. Ill get some rest there, then head out to Medford and crash at my cousins, get up at 7 and head to Sac. Ill be going to CCC on the 29th for new brakes, rotors and calipers and a new blower motor

cadi509
06-21-12, 03:01 PM
Very nice we still on for The 30th?

EcSTSatic
06-21-12, 03:07 PM
That's too bad. Most people take the nice car on the road trip and put it away for everything else - there is no better chance to take advantage of it.

Besides, what will miles hurt? You might keep that odometer number down, but the car is still aging with time so take advantage of it's younger years. You can't enjoy it when it's sitting at home in the garage and you are driving a rental Impala :thepan:

I hear what you are saying, but the odometer is not just a number. It represents wear and tear, fluids, tires, rock and debris chips, etc. We'll take it on a 300 mile trip to KC but we leave it home otherwise. The standard size rentals are pretty tight and comfortable and have as much or more luggage space.

drewsdeville
06-21-12, 03:20 PM
I suppose, depends on how you look at it. There's only real advantage I see in an odometer with a low number - and that's resale value. If you are planning on such a long period of ownership that it doesn't matter, then that's nullified as well.

Tires, fluids, and other maintenance items all have a time schedule for replacement if the mileage schedule isn't being met (old dry-rotted tires with 10,000 miles are probably more dangerous than newer-but-worn with 50,000) . Debris chips and wear and tear are a point (albeit a weak one), but then anything's repairable. That's why we have autobody shops and mechanics :)

It's a machine, designed to be driven. Driving it is the best thing you can do for it. Don't be afraid of it!

MotownPimp
06-21-12, 03:28 PM
If anyone is taking a trip in new turf, you might check out TripAdvisor on the net. It provides locals in almost every part of the country who can/will help you plan a trip. No cost or fee. I've used it a couple times and have started posting "helpful Hanna" stuff myself on occcassion.

ShapeShifter
06-21-12, 03:36 PM
Nice trip and nice photos too.

cadi509
06-21-12, 04:27 PM
Double post

orconn
06-21-12, 04:58 PM
My favorite place to go, especially in the Fall, was California's eastern Sierra Nevada. It took an hour to get free of L.A.'s sprawl and well into the high Mohave Desert. A couple of more hours and you were in the Owens Valley with its' wonderful contrasts of golden grass, shimmering bright yellow aspens and beautiful green evergreens .... all contrasted against the blue purple of the the still snow capped mountains. This was the lad where they show those great Marlboro Man ads and commercials back in the dark ages!

Once you hit Bishop (and stocked up on mahogany smoked jerky, your made your climb into the High Sierras with their wonderful mountain views and beautiful lakes .... and of course great trout streams!

Up there the air is so clear it is a luxury all unto itself. If you go in the Fall, around the end of October, snow may have already fallen refreshing the views of the higher elevations. Summer crowds, such as they are, will have dissipated and the skiing crowd will not have begun to come to Mammoth yet. It is cold at night but the sun is warm during the day and the weather makes for perfect fishing and hiking weather.

There are few places in the world that will beat this area's scenic beauty and it is only a seven hour drive from Los Angeles! Off season daily and weekly rentals are cheap and the restaurants are good if you wants some good food.

If you have the time, you can make a detour over into Death Valley for a very different once in lifetime experience!

Jesda
06-21-12, 10:01 PM
Great pics! I tried to drive through the same tree in my Seville but it was too late at night when I arrived. :( It looks even narrower than the streets of Philly.

cadi509
06-21-12, 10:32 PM
It is as you see I had to fold in my mirrors, and death valley is one place I have no interest in ever going kind of like deep Siberia.....

thebigjimsho
06-21-12, 11:15 PM
Hopefully Death Valley won't be closed...

orconn
06-22-12, 12:17 AM
Sunrise and sunset in Death Valley are something to be experienced. I am not a desert fan, but to see the sun rise and set in this spot on the globe is awe inspiring.

AElayyat
06-23-12, 02:05 PM
That is crazy on the temp! I'm in So Cali & all weekend it has been around 85-86 high...

Well hope you enjoyed the red-wood trees.

Just a side note, I see you are from Washington State & have a black STS....reminds me of the movie 'Get Carter'...

Fleet
06-24-12, 05:47 AM
That is crazy on the temp! I'm in So Cali & all weekend it has been around 85-86 high...

Well hope you enjoyed the red-wood trees.

Just a side note, I see you are from Washington State & have a black STS....reminds me of the movie 'Get Carter'...
I don't think it's been that hot at Redding. Maybe that 113 degree temperature was from the car thermometer? The weather channel shows a maximum temperature of 103 on the 16th and 17th of June. Overnight temperatures for the last week have ranged from 57 to 69 degrees.

Incidentally, Death Valley hit 121 degrees about one week ago!

MrHolland
06-24-12, 05:59 AM
I lived in central coast Cali, I really enjoyed there. Even went to see the red-woods a time or two.

-----Car looked great in the tree!!

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 06:27 AM
I <3 death valley.

cadi509
06-26-12, 01:36 AM
I don't think it's been that hot at Redding. Maybe that 113 degree temperature was from the car thermometer? The weather channel shows a maximum temperature of 103 on the 16th and 17th of June. Overnight temperatures for the last week have ranged from 57 to 69 degrees.

Incidentally, Death Valley hit 121 degrees about one week ago!

I was reading the temp from a black car.... I know it was easily over 100 which is more than hot enough for me consider are temps here right now are 80 as the highs

brandondeleo
06-26-12, 04:24 AM
I was reading the temp from a black car.... I know it was easily over 100 which is more than hot enough for me consider are temps here right now are 80 as the highs
You know what's funny is that during the winter, Ellensburg gets colder than Yakima and has much more snow, yet during the summer we're hotter.

Also, if you could do me a big favor, PM me and tell me what the biggest/best wrecking yards are in Yakima. I'm looking for cloth seats for my car, but they're pretty much impossible to find. Thanks dude.