: GSD3s Getting Louder and Louder

rand49er
06-21-12, 09:58 AM
Just put them back on. Got maybe a total of 5k-8k miles on them, and realized they are way noisier than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports I just took off.

I think I may have to induce some accelerated wear to justify getting new tires for my OEM rims. :lildevil:

JDB
06-21-12, 12:05 PM
GS D3s were on my V when I bought it. I'm told by the PO that they were put on in 2006 since the runflats were done and junk. After only a few miles on the car regularly (still no winters or rain) the car sat for months at a time and only 2k miles in 3.5 years.... = hockey pucks that were loud and flat spotted. Not sure of total miles but probably in the same ballpark of 5-8k miles since they were at ~7/32" when I bought the car from him with 24k miles on the car. After daily driving the car (probably shock the PO that I drive it in the rain, winter with Blizzaks, and on track) and sliding around on the track after a couple of events on said hockey pucks, I've come to realize how bad those tires were after going to Dunlop Star Specs. Sure drying out didn't help and no heat cycles, but I've never had any luck with Good(for-a)year tires. Next up are Falken Azenis Sports RT615k....already mounted on my Accessory wheels. Once the Dunlop are done on the stock wheels, I'll mount the used Nitto NT01s. When is V Day? ;-)

Den_93
06-21-12, 12:35 PM
Randy, did you get new hearing aid batteries at the same time?:alchi:

mstrjon32
06-21-12, 02:05 PM
I've got a set of dried out GS-D3's on my Sky. I've been debating trying to run them down before buying a new set, but I think I'm going to have to pick up some Star Spec's for it sooner rather than later. The Goodyear's are really taking away from my enjoyment in the twisties...

rand49er
06-21-12, 05:08 PM
Randy, did you get new hearing aid batteries at the same time?:alchi:Say, as a matter of fact, I did!

Seriously, I noticed it last summer and was concerned it might be my diff. Did some clutch in, clutch out, power on, power off plus going over some road dips and road crests. I was pretty sure it was the tires based upon that, but now I'm certain.

What's really cool, though, I was being super careful with taking off and so forth with the Michelins, but now ... :burn:

JD03Cobra
06-22-12, 04:31 PM
Randy, did you get new hearing aid batteries at the same time?:alchi:

I may need a pair of hearing aids because my GSD3's seem quiet after running snow tires. I got 15k easily on my tires...now on my second set.

rand49er
06-22-12, 08:31 PM
I may need a pair of hearing aids because my GSD3's seem quiet after running snow tires. I got 15k easily on my tires...now on my second set.I don't think Dennis can hear a darn thing after running those cutouts. :helpless:

When I bought my GSD3s, I first asked Goodyear for some kind of credit for the OEM runflats. (Others were getting a decent amount toward another set of tires just by calling them.) The lady told me that the GSD3s wouldn't get much better mileage, and she was right. Jason, how's your tread depth? I'm planning on beating my GSD3s to death the rest of the summer. Don't know how many miles that'll be but they'll be toast for sure when I get done with them.

JD03Cobra
06-23-12, 01:58 AM
how's your tread depth?

I should have enough to get me to winter I hope. Any reason why your running these tires???

rand49er
06-23-12, 08:25 AM
I should have enough to get me to winter I hope. Any reason why your running these tires???Just trying to use them up and save the Michelins, I guess. The only reason I've got them in the first place is because Dennis traded the fronts to me for my OEM axles and you told me about the sale at TireRack so I bought the rears.

Probably do RSAs next. Maybe.

JDB
06-23-12, 05:16 PM

Hopefully maybe not. RSAs are junk. You're complaining about noise, spinning tires... Why put an all-season tire on V?? And not even a good one. If this is a fun, weekender...get someone equal or better than the GS D3 max performance category tire.

JD03Cobra
06-24-12, 11:13 AM
Just trying to use them up and save the Michelins, I guess. The only reason I've got them in the first place is because Dennis traded the fronts to me for my OEM axles and you told me about the sale at TireRack so I bought the rears.

So let get this straight...you took off those bad ass wheels/tire combo for the stockers with GSD'3 so you could use up the tread and save the Michelins? I may have to put a shot of Jack in my coffee this morning.

For reference.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/JD03Cobra/Randy2.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-24-12, 11:39 AM
Just trying to use them up and save the Michelins, I guess. The only reason I've got them in the first place is because Dennis traded the fronts to me for my OEM axles and you told me about the sale at TireRack so I bought the rears.

You do that and I come over there and dope slap you, personally!

rand49er
06-24-12, 02:43 PM
Okay, okay ... I get it! No RSAs! Sheesh!

So, I need something "sporty," but it has to be reasonably quiet and can't cost an arm and a leg. I won't need them immediately.

Suggestions?

JDB
06-24-12, 03:50 PM
Loving these right now

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=445WR8Z1SS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2005&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=

mstrjon32
06-24-12, 04:24 PM

So, I need something "sporty," but it has to be reasonably quiet and can't cost an arm and a leg. I won't need them immediately.

Suggestions?

I have the Bridgestone RE960AS's on the V and I'm really, really happy with them. They're not going to be top performer at the track, but they're silent all the way up to top speed and they're reasonably priced.

thebigjimsho
06-24-12, 08:08 PM

Suggestions?Since you have the PSSs, I will suggest these. I've been running these on my V2 as a bridge to PSSs coming in our sizes. They are quiet, wear very well, they give you 85% dry grip of the PS2, are good on wet pavement, phenomenal(incredibly) in deep standing water and, well, look at the price...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&partnum=445YR8K110XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

thebigjimsho
06-24-12, 08:10 PM
Some of the V2 guys really love these as well...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=445YR8ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

JDB
06-25-12, 08:33 PM
2 good recommendations for decent summer tires, but I wouldn't recommend them on the track namely Hankook V12...read reviews of getting crazy greasy after a couple laps.

rand49er
06-25-12, 09:49 PM
Prices are pretty good ^^^, actually. In all honesty, those are the two I've really noticed when I was first considering tires a while back, especially the Conti's. PSSs are more than I want to spend.

Drove the V today on the expressway and a bit tonight. I mean it's howling loud! Sounds like the diff had all the lube drained out, it's that loud. I know it's the tires because even if I put the clutch in and coast, the howling is still present.

thebigjimsho
06-29-12, 12:01 PM
Does the Randyman need them for the track?

JDB
06-29-12, 08:45 PM
Does the Randyman need them for the track?

No idea...doubtful. like I said, good recommendations for summer tires that don't see the track.

Helpful for others who may be following this thread.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

CTSV_Rob
06-29-12, 11:16 PM
Anyone look at these yet?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=445WR7GFSPC2

quikss
06-30-12, 11:03 AM
I have the Bridgestone RE960AS's on the V and I'm really, really happy with them. They're not going to be top performer at the track, but they're silent all the way up to top speed and they're reasonably priced.

I have the same tires on my V and am very happy with them. We dont have much in the way of twisty mountain roads here in the midwest, and I dont run the car on the track. The RE960's do everything I want them to do and they do it quietly. I am very happy with my choice of tire.

Jeff

mstrjon32
06-30-12, 02:32 PM
I have the same tires on my V and am very happy with them. We dont have much in the way of twisty mountain roads here in the midwest, and I dont run the car on the track. The RE960's do everything I want them to do and they do it quietly. I am very happy with my choice of tire.Jeff

Yep, I run them 150 mph on the Autobahn and I run them around the Nurburgring. They're a little soft in the corners for the track, but they hold on well enough that I was able to get 1.29g's out of them. For everyday driving they are excellent. I've been debating going with Direzza Star Spec's, Continental DW's, or the new 970's for my Saturn...it's hard to not get the 970's since the 960's were so good.

rand49er
06-30-12, 04:04 PM
Does the Randyman need them for the track?I wish. Would love to do some autoX events, but can't plan anything at my household.

Anyone look at these yet?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=445WR7GFSPC2I think those are the 17".

Try this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445WR8GFSPC2&tab=Sizes

No test comparisons that I could see. Didn't watch the vid.

I have the same tires on my V and am very happy with them. We dont have much in the way of twisty mountain roads here in the midwest, and I dont run the car on the track. The RE960's do everything I want them to do and they do it quietly. I am very happy with my choice of tire.

JeffWhy can't I find the RE960s at tirerack? Must not carry them ... hm-m ...

mstrjon32
06-30-12, 06:32 PM
Why can't I find the RE960s at tirerack? Must not carry them ... hm-m ...

They were replaced by the RE970...

thebigjimsho
07-01-12, 01:13 AM
No idea...doubtful. like I said, good recommendations for summer tires that don't see the track.

Helpful for others who may be following this thread.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Hmm...

I asked if he needed them for the track. That's it. Check your undies for wads...

JDB
07-01-12, 12:57 PM
Hmm...

I asked if he needed them for the track. That's it. Check your undies for wads...

Oops...thought that was a sarcastic question directed at me/my response.

Since he said he doesn't, your recommendations are perfect for his needs.

AAIIIC
07-01-12, 01:30 PM
Interesting that you're having noise issues with the GSD3s - I had them a while back on my Subaru and don't recall having any such problems.

As for suggestions for replacements, I'm running the Continental DWs on both the V and the Subaru and they're great. Quiet, smooth-riding, fantastic grip in the wet and in the dry. They've only been on the Subaru for a couple thousand miles, and maybe 5 or 6 thousand on the V so far, so I can't really say how long they're going to last.

thebigjimsho
07-01-12, 10:52 PM
Oops...thought that was a sarcastic question directed at me/my response.

Since he said he doesn't, your recommendations are perfect for his needs.

No problem. It wouldn't have been the first time if it was a sarcastic response.

darkman
07-01-12, 11:00 PM
No problem. It wouldn't have been the first time if it was a sarcastic response.

Big Jim being sarcastic--- I am shocked! :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shoc ked:

thebigjimsho
07-01-12, 11:02 PM
hehehehe

rand49er
07-01-12, 11:10 PM
Tirerack wants $732 for a set (stock size) of the Conti DWs, and it says "close out." Can't justify it now if only noise is my issue. Dang!

mstrjon32
07-02-12, 03:48 AM
What's the deal with the Closeout on them? Are they being replaced with some other model?

thebigjimsho
07-02-12, 05:36 PM
It's usually only a few bucks savings, if any. The TireRack focuses on things like tire age. They won't sell old tires so I imagine they're trying to get rid of tires a few months old to make room for new...

CTSV_Rob
07-04-12, 03:28 AM
I think those are the 17".

Try this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445WR8GFSPC2&tab=Sizes

No test comparisons that I could see. Didn't watch the vid.

Yeah I got the size wrong but I was hoping someone had some feedback on them. What I have seen on their website their new compound seems to be better if you believe what they have to say. I wish there were user reviews and comparisons to some of the other tires but nothing yet because it is a very new tire. I was planning to try the Super sports but they don't have a tire in the size I am planning on using and the Comp-2 does (285/35R19).

Seems like a good tire but if the Super sports come in the stock V size I would go with them if you need to change tires, price is right and they seem to do well against the PS2s.

Stepside
07-04-12, 11:48 PM
Hankook Ventus V12

rand49er
07-05-12, 11:11 AM
... I was planning to try the Super sports but they don't have a tire in the size I am planning on using and the Comp-2 does (285/35R19).

Seems like a good tire but if the Super sports come in the stock V size I would go with them if you need to change tires, price is right and they seem to do well against the PS2s.I've got the Super Sports on Linea Corse wheels now. I'm trying to wear down my GSD3s on the stock wheels and eventually get something, hopefully, quieter without giving up too much performance (especially dry performance) and money.

Hankook Ventus V12C&D's latest issue has a tire comparo on page 80. While they didn't test the V12, they do have the R-S3. Seems it didn't do so well in the wet, which is fine by me since I only drive in rain if I get caught in it, but it did quite well under dry conditions actually beating the SS. PLUS, it was one of the least expensive tire out of the nine they tested. I know manufacturer-to-manufacturer wear ratings are not standardized, but even so the Hankook's wear rating is way low and that just has to be at least considered.

PJGross
07-06-12, 10:06 AM
I replaced my F1 GSD3's with the Hankook V12s last summer. I wanted to keep stock up front and the 275/40s in the rear. I couldn't justify putting more tire on the car since I haven't done a track day yet, my helmet is out of compliance, and I'll do much more fishing than roadcoursing in the next few years.

Overall I'm happy with the Hankooks. They are grippy in straight lines for my maggied V and they have a gradual breakaway in spirited turning with more audible warning than the GSD3s.

However, I don't feel as comfortable at the G limits as with the GSD3s and while I had broken 1g several times in continuous onramp/offramps in both directions with the GSD3s, I have yet to feel confident in taking the Hankooks over 1G. (I've had a step out register over 1 but obviously that doesn't count)

The only other negative is that even though they are the same size, the Hankooks are noticably narrower on the rim than the GSD3s. It's enough that I was a little disappointed with the look after they were first mounted. They are not narrow enough to run 275s all the way around on my stock height, stock rimmed V, though. I tried them on the front and they still rub like crazy.

quikss
07-07-12, 01:07 PM
They were replaced by the RE970...

Ive only had them a few weeks, and yes they are the 970's. I enjoy driving the hell out of this car once again with these tires on it.

Jeff

thebigjimsho
07-07-12, 04:48 PM
I replaced my F1 GSD3's with the Hankook V12s last summer. I wanted to keep stock up front and the 275/40s in the rear. I couldn't justify putting more tire on the car since I haven't done a track day yet, my helmet is out of compliance, and I'll do much more fishing than roadcoursing in the next few years.

Overall I'm happy with the Hankooks. They are grippy in straight lines for my maggied V and they have a gradual breakaway in spirited turning with more audible warning than the GSD3s.

However, I don't feel as comfortable at the G limits as with the GSD3s and while I had broken 1g several times in continuous onramp/offramps in both directions with the GSD3s, I have yet to feel confident in taking the Hankooks over 1G. (I've had a step out register over 1 but obviously that doesn't count)

The only other negative is that even though they are the same size, the Hankooks are noticably narrower on the rim than the GSD3s. It's enough that I was a little disappointed with the look after they were first mounted. They are not narrow enough to run 275s all the way around on my stock height, stock rimmed V, though. I tried them on the front and they still rub like crazy.Well, first off GSD3s are NOTORIOUS for running very wide. I'm hearing the PSS do as well. But almost any tire you put on will look narrower. Doesn't mean their contact patch is any better, though.

As for handling, that brings me back to the plight of the 8.5" wheel on a 3850lb performance car. I'm running stock 9"F, 9.5"R wheels and stock size Hankooks on my V2, so my criteria is a little different. So, again, you'll need to factor in how well these tires do in initial turn-in. Super stiff F1 EMTs felt like champs because the runflats had super stiff sidewalls. PS2s felt amazing because the sidewalls, while not as stiff as the F1 EMTs, were still stiff enough and had excellent stability and communication throughout all g forces.

So I would look at cornering stability and turn-in stats over just about all others when looking at tires...