: Thinking about a 2006 CTS V

Teamsorad
06-21-12, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone, I am thinking about purchasing this 2006 CTS V and was hoping to get some opinions on price etc. I have done some browsing through the forums and found some threads on common issues.

http://www.dickhannah.com/vehicle/V35785-2006-Cadillac-CTS-V-Base#features

How is the price? You can also see in one of the pictures the wheel is pretty curbed/the chrome is chipping, I don't think I can spend close to 20k on a car with the wheel like that. From what I have read the wheels don't come chrome stock so that seems like an expensive fix.

I have only bought Honda/Acura (I do own a 2002 Sierra Denali Pickup) so I am a little hesitate to buy a GM car esp a V model. But like everyone I love the style and I'm sure I will love the motor. I will be trading in my 2000 Acura 3.2TL with 170k that has had no problems at all, pretty much turn key

06BlackV
06-21-12, 08:22 AM
How many miles?

sgtdestruction
06-21-12, 10:34 AM
I purchased my silver 2007 v with 36k miles for $26k about 6 weeks ago. For the wheel, I agree, probably will be an expensive fix since they are chromed out. Miles are a little high, but that is speculative, plus it looks like you get a small warranty.

Otherwise, the car looks clean to me.

Welcome to the club!

nvthev
06-21-12, 12:36 PM
Bought my 06 V 2 months ago with 25k miles for $27k, and it had tinted windows, magnaflow exhaust, CIA, etc, etc.
From all the cars i've searched to find mine, that price is a little high, in my opinion anyway. I saw many at 50k miles for 20-21k.
If that is what you really want, make them an offer. They always have some wiggle room. I searched a year to find mine.
Good luck, and enjoy whatever you do buy.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-21-12, 01:23 PM
Welcome, Teamsorad! Glad to see you're already getting helpful replies to your post and very glad to see you're interested in a V!

If you have any vehicle questions that you'd like me to research for you, email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. As for pricing, checking Edmunds.com and kbb.com may aid you in your car search (GM neither maintains nor endorses these sites, however, and will not be responsible for their contents).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

V for victory
06-21-12, 01:43 PM
The wheel with the peeled chrome is a loss, you will have to purchase a clean used wheel and send it to a chrome company for a swap. probably about 80-100 bucks plus shipping. I had mine chromed several months ago and love them. they have a five year warranty on the chrome.

rand49er
06-21-12, 04:18 PM
I didn't see the mileage on that '06 V ... anybody get that?

... I will be trading in my 2000 Acura 3.2TL ...If I'm not mistaken, there's a big difference between these two cars.

As far as going 170k miles in an '06 V, that's not going to be difficult. Driving it hard and doing with it no problems is going to be a challenge.

Teamsorad
06-21-12, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, the mileage is 81k almost 82. I usually look for a little higher mileage because the price is usually way lower. I am really concerned about the wheel because it isn't something I would want to deal with spending 20k on a car. I have noticed some pictures with some black stock wheels? I like the black look or something like hyperblack, is there any info on different things you can do with the stock wheels?

I understand that the TL to CTS-V is a huge difference/upgrade (35k vs 55k brand new) I have test drove a 2008 AWD and a 2008 RWD with Nav for around the same price, but I have not drove the V because it is like 250miles away. (also cause I'm scared if I drive it I will buy it immediately:thumbsup:

I would like to spend about 18k and get a good trade for my car

etcts-v
06-21-12, 05:29 PM
I didn't see the mileage on that '06 V ... anybody get that?

It says Odometer right at the top three lines under the price, I missed it the first time too! - 81,713

I think that's a touch steep for that many miles, I bought my '04 with 40k on the clock three years ago for $18,000. With that said I would make them an offer, there is always negotiating room with dealers.

The chromed wheel is a big point that you could use to drop the price, however once you got it you could always have all four media blasted and power coated black for $300 :bouncy:

Also the wheel is not a total loss, chrome is just a layer so you should be able to have it blasted and re-dipped.

Everything else looks clean, although you will have to tackle the shifter, motor mounts, etc, etc but that's the fun part!

rand49er
06-21-12, 05:39 PM
It says Odometer right at the top three lines under the price, I missed it the first time too! - 81,713 ...:thumbsup: Yeah, totally missed it.

That wheel is just cosmetic, and using it as a negotiating point is a great idea. Just whine a little and say exactly what you typed above: "it isn't something I want to deal with." Then, tell them you could do at most $18k (maybe a bit less), then go out and get some wheels you like and peddle the chrome ones to mitigate your costs. Voila!

Teamsorad
06-21-12, 07:11 PM
I read a little about the shifter and stuff, but is all that going to be necessary? I am looking to just buy an oem car and not have to do much to it (like the wheel and the stuff you mentioned) I don't have great credit so my rate will be high and I will in for a higher payment. 20k doesn't seem like that much but with a bad interest rate that can be a 400 payment plus the insurance

Aurora40
06-21-12, 08:06 PM
80k '06 that needs wheels for $19k seems pretty good to me. But it does seem prices have dipped a bit recently. You could buy some decent factory wheels for $600-1000 depending on what is available at any given time. Finding a single chrome one might be more difficult, but at least the wheel is not leaking or anything.

This is of course assuming the rest of the car is in good shape.

FYI, it may not have XM available. There looks to be an aux cable coming out of the center stack, the cheap/easy way to do that is to clip the xm inputs and splice in the aux. It renders XM useless, though. You could fix it, or it may not have been done that way, but something to keep in mind.

Teamsorad
06-21-12, 10:58 PM
well looks like the one I was looking at was sold, so it wasn't meant to me. I know the wheel would have really bothered me, so I will keep looking around. I have to have black on black so it makes it a lil difficult to find one and not sure if I want to go lower in the years.

Thanks for all the help

aantalis
06-22-12, 09:22 AM
I bought a V off the forum classifieds 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. It had some of the common modifications in shifter, exhaust, knob, mats, extra set wheels and winter tires, and paid 22k for 2005 with 56000. Could have got a lower price but owner had supreme documentation and deserved the asking price IMO. keep up on classifieds here and you will find a vehicle (for the money) you will never want to give up.

Overd0s3
06-22-12, 07:46 PM
I've been toying around with the idea of selling mine, but may be out of your price range. It's mint 55k black on black 06 with mods made 420 whp. Mods in professional shop. not a scratch or ding on the entire care 25k non- negotiable price. If you are interested message me.

Teamsorad
06-24-12, 02:21 AM
I'm sure your car is sweet, but I am not sure about buying a modded car and even then I am looking to pay around the fair/good price on kBB, excellent is around 20k. Mods are tricky especially for resale, I learned that from selling my Hondas with swaps and stuff. Never can get your money back.

I would love to find a V for around 17-19k

gsx-lex
06-24-12, 08:08 AM
Keep looking they are out there. Coming from the world of performance DSM/Evos, I can also relate to the hesitance about buying a modded car, but keep in mind that these are not your typical 10-20k Honda/Mitsu, these cars were priced starting at $50k. Hopefully, if you are going to mod an expensive car, you are going to do it right. Sure, you'll find exception to that rule, but typically most CTS-V that I have seen are properly modded.

mberisha
06-24-12, 08:57 AM
Nice...where are you located? @Overd0s3

Koooop
06-24-12, 11:38 PM
To give a bit of an idea of what's going on with the V1 value: I just sold my '05, 76k miles, no roof, B&M shifter, CAGS, Catback, near new tires, 10k on the front and rear brakes, I bought the car in '04, all wheels had at least minor curb rash, 3 teeny door dings, road rash and a couple of scuffs on the original paint on the cone, flawless interior, tired 7 year old tint on the windows, near new dealer installed LS7 clutch, flywheel and slave, spare on a factory rim, slight clunk in the left front (probably sway bar bushings), top of head lights showing age, original rear end since I never beat the crap out of the car... The car looked very good.

They lined up and fought over the car, it went just over $18,000. I know the buyer got an excellent car with no defects. I had agreed to a price with a fellow, so I rejected a better offer. Probably could have gotten close to $19k for it had I waited a few more days.

Funny listening to the guys that dragged their feet, they were all surprised when the called after a few days on Autotrader and it was gone, especially the dopes that called and waited a week to get back to me to come have a look. The used car market is hot. If you can find a clean lightly modded car from the original owner get on it!

Rambo76098
06-25-12, 01:11 AM
Koooop is right on with the pricing, just bought an 05 V with sunroof, relatively new window tint, 72K for $17,500. Mine needs new tires, a new side mirror glass, some minor paint work, haze on top of the headlights, and minor curb rash repair. Still has original diff I believe.

Pluses were got the color I wanted (Stealth Gray), the interior is pristine, and it's completely unmodified - sucker still has CAGS.

Teamsorad
06-25-12, 04:55 AM
Just came across this one

http://www.canamimports.com/inventory/view/5536505/2004-Cadillac-CTS-V%20LS6%206%20SPEED%20MANUAL

Looks to be okay? and has a car fax but not sure if this is bad or good...

Fresh "Stage II" rebuild on Tremec Trans. Brand New LS-7 Clutch kit with remote bleeder installed. Brand new Creative Steel motor and trans mounts. Brand new rear diff bushing.

I am in the seattle area so there isn't any Black Vs on autotrader at all which sucks, plenty in my price range every where else though....

PrelateBishop
06-28-12, 03:35 PM
Teamsorad, I have a lead on a vehicle that will interest you. Shoot me an e-mail (prelatebishop@yahoo.com) for details.

Teamsorad
06-29-12, 05:20 AM
email sent

454Casull
07-09-12, 01:55 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm also looking at a 2006 V. Any particular issues I should be looking out for? Difficulty shifting, diff whine... etc.?

GDPossehl
07-09-12, 11:16 AM
Just came across this one

http://www.canamimports.com/inventory/view/5536505/2004-Cadillac-CTS-V%20LS6%206%20SPEED%20MANUAL

Looks to be okay? and has a car fax but not sure if this is bad or good...

That is very good. It has a brand new trans and all the mounts are good and aren't going to need replacing over and over. Also, the LS7 clutch has a flywheel that's lighter and won't crap out and make driveability clunky. It should also allow for some more power to the wheels because the engine is spinning about 14 lbs less weight.

U crazy newbs that think mods are bad.... haha

Faber
07-09-12, 12:50 PM
That is very good. It has a brand new trans and all the mounts are good and aren't going to need replacing over and over. Also, the LS7 clutch has a flywheel that's lighter and won't crap out and make driveability clunky. It should also allow for some more power to the wheels because the engine is spinning about 14 lbs less weight.

U crazy newbs that think mods are bad.... haha

Plus, if he did beat it and wear it out, the items that would have been damaged have been replaced. Make certain the diff doesn't whine & you are good to go. There is a difference between modifications & improvements needed due to "design" issues - the latter is ok. With exception of the trans rebuild, you will most likely be looking to do the other items to a V you buy that is stock, regardless of how much of a purest you are.

Natedog
07-09-12, 02:53 PM
Feel free to check out my 07 under warranty as well... price recently dropped
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p9552-2007-cts-v-black-on-black-2c-perfect-mods-and-warranty-21.html