Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Battery went down after sitting for two weeks

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  GDPossehl 
#1 ·
My 2005 CTS V sits in a climate controlled garage. Well it sat for two weeks and when I went to crank it to take a buddy to lunch it would not turn over or even click the solenoid. I put it on a smart charger and it appears to be taking a charge. I've checked for interior lights left on and there is nothing on. I called a mechanic friend and he said the computer will pull the battery down if the car isn't driven regularly. I have other computer vehicles that sit for longer periods of time and they have no problem cranking. My mechanic buddy says I need to buy a "battery tender" and keep it plugged in when not using the car. That sounds like a bubble gum and tape fix.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing the battery drain?

#3 ·
Do you take out the V for just a quick trip and then let it sit for 2 weeks?

I used to store my V1 in the winter. One winter, I went to see it and start it. It had sat for 4+ months and fired right up. When I went back less than 3 weeks later, it wouldn't crank at all. When you start it, you need to drive it.

A battery tender is not a bubble gum and tape fix. It's a needed tool for cars that sit for awhile. Or disconnect the battery...

#5 ·
If I let my car sit for more than 4 or 5 days without starting it, the battery will be dead. A couple years ago, I got a battery tender and hook it up whenever it is going to sit for a while and have had no problems since. It's inexpensive and works.

As for what is causing your drain, I don't know. I was told that having lojack (or similar product) on your car could cause your computer to wake up constantly which could drain it, but I don't really know.

#8 ·
Any updates in your battery situation, Bertbart? If you'd like me to investigate anything further for you, don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. As the community demonstrated, many different factors could be responsible for the drain, and I hope their feedback has been helpful!

Let us know how you're progressing!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.