: What about "VibraButt" technology?

orconn
06-20-12, 03:15 PM
If you were choosing between a Cadillac XTS and a Mercedes E class would a tingle tush warning system be a deciding factor in favor of the Cadillac? Much touted in current adds would this "approaching disaster" warning system along with a touch screen "ipad" style control panel be a big selling point?

Superfluous technology seems to the order of the day as luxury car makers vie for who has the latest gadget. Of course we all know what one has will soon be available on another's competing product.

talismandave
06-20-12, 03:42 PM
I foresee a lot of accidents as "thrill seekers" try to almost hit things. :bouncy:

CadillacLuke24
06-21-12, 01:07 AM
Oh boy. I would hope that Cadillac's customer base is better than that, but you never know. I guess there's the cougars, right? :duck:

Jesda
06-21-12, 01:24 AM
That wouldn't sway my decision at all as I tend to favor timeless qualities like look, feel, comfort, and driving pleasure. So, setting all gadgets aside, I'd pick the E-class.

I realize most luxury buyers are leasers, so I suppose many of them would be swayed by technology that stays current for at least 3 years.

The only "killer app" I've seen in luxury cars is MB's Distronic Plus.

ben.gators
06-21-12, 07:25 AM
Here is the "VibraButt" technology!:D Go to 1:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQADOv8l_c&t=1m55s

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 01:56 AM
I have no butt. Also, I don't make a regular habit or tradition of backing into things (at least not on accident). This technology seems a waste of my income. While I would not really want either vehicle, I would still have to choose the Cadillac hands down though. No contest there.

Aron9000
06-22-12, 02:46 AM
The "vibrabutt" is a rather stupid gimmick IMO. I mean we've had backup sensors in the bumpers since the late 90's, same thing with massaging seats, I think the 2000 S-class was the first car with that as a factory option. Its all 12-13 year old technology, instead of the backup alarm beeping at you it sends a signal to turn on the butt massager.

If that's the best thing Cadillac can sell the XTS on, well, that's just plain sad and they probably shouldn't be selling it at all.

brandondeleo
06-22-12, 03:28 AM
'tis all p00p. If I was going to consider this kind of safety feature, it'd be an automatic braking feature as advertised in the new Infinity JX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABI_jvXmwPw

hueterm
06-22-12, 07:39 AM
I hate that commercial. That kid's toy was clearly visible in the rear view cam -- BEFORE the bratty kid ran behind the car... So why did he keep backing up (other than to make the commercial)?

He and his baby mama need to go work on popping out another kid, so they'll be forced to drive an 8 passenger minivan...

brandondeleo
06-22-12, 07:50 AM
Point: Instead of making your butt vibrate to tell you to stop, why aren't cars like the XTS using that same technology and actually applying the brakes?

M5eater
06-22-12, 07:57 AM
I would take the E-class simply because it looks better than the XTS to be honest.. All E-class styling is spot on these days. They all look like bearly constrained AMG variants of...something.

hueterm
06-22-12, 08:01 AM
The Vibrabutt/crosspath detection is not a bad idea. At least, in the commercial, that M-B was flying down the street, and the XTS was parked next to a Suburban, so the driver really was not in a position to see. And I'm sure there are 20 million chimes and warnings going off in the XTS after you start the car.

From personal experience, and as humbling as it is to admit -- I did hit a building once w/my EXT, like 3 days after I bought it. It was my first car w/sensors and I confused the rear sensors chime w/the fasten seat belt chime -- and I scraped the corner of my bumper into the side of my favorite coffee house. (The silver mark is still there :-)

brandondeleo
06-22-12, 08:48 AM
I scraped the corner of my bumper into the side of my favorite coffee house. (The silver mark is still there :-)
Uh oh. Eh, stuff happens.

talismandave
06-22-12, 09:11 AM
....The only "killer app" I've seen in luxury cars is MB's Distronic Plus.
Jesda....I'm a little unsure of your opinion of MB's Distronic Plus, could you clarify if you like it or not?.....Geeezee you two....get a room already!:bigroll:

gary88
06-22-12, 11:59 AM
If they would lower the beltline on most modern cars so you could actually see out of them, maybe all these nonsense warning systems wouldn't be needed.

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 01:08 PM
'tis all p00p. If I was going to consider this kind of safety feature, it'd be an automatic braking feature as advertised in the new Infinity JX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABI_jvXmwPw

See, I could not bother with this. If it stops for me, it is a flawed system, because what about when I am intentionally trying to back into/over something? Can I disable the system?

The-Dullahan
06-22-12, 01:08 PM
If they would lower the beltline on most modern cars so you could actually see out of them, maybe all these nonsense warning systems wouldn't be needed.

Who would want to be able to see out the back of their car? Sounds like a useless feature :)

Aron9000
06-23-12, 02:12 AM
See, I could not bother with this. If it stops for me, it is a flawed system, because what about when I am intentionally trying to back into/over something? Can I disable the system?

That automatic braking thing is a very mafia unfriendly feature. Just like trunk release buttons.

Some guy is standing behind your car with a gun, you'd damn better run him over. I think Mercedes offers on the CL and S class a feature that the car will brake to a stop for you if it senses a stopped car in front of you. Once again, if I were put into a situation where I had to run over a madman with a gun, well I wouldn't want my stupid car to get me killed.

The-Dullahan
06-23-12, 03:41 AM
Well, to be serious, have none of you ever intentionally run something over? Ever? I certainly have.

I think it is more logical to warn you than to actually make the car stop. Does it shut off at certain times, gears or speeds? That could also cause an accident that may otherwise be avoided entirely

As for Trunk Release Buttons, I do not own anything with those, nor can I think of a car ever manufactured with one that I would spend money to own.

Trunks are a new technology to me. I found myself at the CLC Grand National Meet last week analyzing the trunks of the eleventh generation Fleetwood Broughams, because they just looked so alien. Stylish and classy, but just so odd. Not because I have never seen one, but I seldom get the chance to see the back of one up close and at whichever angle I choose. Craig even made a joke about it.

My Lincoln has a trunk. Why you would actually NEED a trunk in a Lincoln is beyond me, but I have found mine to be useful from time to time, because though no one sits in the rear, it would look suspicious after all, to constantly keep an aluminium baseball bat and five gallon pail next to a bag of cement back there. The trunk is a tad more subtle.

brandondeleo
06-23-12, 05:09 AM
Backing up is REALLY easy when there's none of those roof things to get in the way. :lol:

The-Dullahan
06-24-12, 03:41 AM
^I don't get it. My car has awful visibility. Picturing it as a clock, with 12 being the front of the car, one can see from 10 to 2 from my Cadillac and that is it. There is zero visibility beyond this scope. The side mirrors will show you if someone is level with the second set of doors, but only if they are within two feet of the car. Essentially, if it is not directly in front of me or within (literal) arm's reach of myself (Or the passenger, should they be on the right side) there is no way to know if there is ANYTHING there. This has never prevented me from backing up. I mean, doesn't it work the same in all cars? Drop into reverse and depress the accelerator? Roof things or high beltlines should not effect the mechanics of this situation. If someone is stupid enough to walk in the way, they will live all eight seconds of the rest of their life as an example of the reinstatement of survival of the fittest.

I value my convenience over the safety of pedestrians. Thus far, no one has made the mistake of testing that.

brandondeleo
06-24-12, 04:04 AM
^I don't get it.
I am not exactly sure how you can't get it... If you don't have a roof, there's nothing to block your view...

talismandave
06-24-12, 06:30 AM
If someone is stupid enough to walk in the way, they will live all eight seconds of the rest of their life as an example of the reinstatement of survival of the fittest.
Toss them in the casket and be on your way.

ShapeShifter
06-24-12, 07:48 AM
For me, it's like wasted $$$. Now an Anti-Monkey Butt Powder dispensing system would be more beneficial, especially during those marathon drives.

ryannel2003
06-24-12, 12:41 PM

One of my favorite things about the E46 is the low belt line and thin A-pillars so I can actually see what is coming at me or when I'm turning.

All of this technology is just more stuff that is going to break 10 years down the road when the 3rd or 4th owner has taken possession. Cars have gotten so damn complicated that in the future you'll have to take it to the dealership to get it worked on. Plus if you need something to vibrate your butt to tell you of a person in the other lane or somebody is behind you, you don't need to be driving. If you can't look in your mirrors or do a slight turn around to check the other lane or turn your fat ass around and look behind you to reverse, get off the freaking road. This isn't directed towards anybody, just my feeling about driving these days.

Oh btw: F10 5-Series> E-Class > A6 > XF >>>> XTS

gary88
06-24-12, 01:14 PM
Properly adjusted wing mirrors really do help a ton in checking blindspots. Most people like to adjust them so they can see half of their car in the reflection, this really just gives you two more rearview mirrors. For the left mirror lean your head as far as you can to the right while seated and move the mirror so you can't see your car in it anymore and vice versa for the other and you can effectively see what's in your blindspots now, helps me a ton on the highway.

talismandave
06-24-12, 08:30 PM
I am always amazed when I tell people this myself how few people have ever heard of it. I don't remember any longer where I learned it but thank you Gary for the piece of mind that I am not alone in this!
You don't need to see your own car, if you don't know where the side of your car is mirrors aren't your problem!

orconn
06-24-12, 10:43 PM
Many years ago there was an article in one of the car magazines, a useful one for a change, that told the whys and wherefores of how to adjust your exterior rear view mirrors. It was a good article and I have used the advice ever since. Thanks Gary88 for your helpful reminder!

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 11:11 AM
^This. I have always honed my mirrors the same way (As I have no other way to see anything beside my Cadillac) and I need them for passing people safely on the highway. Still have no rearview, but it's not as big of a problem as some people expect. In reality, I have four cars and a truck with only two mirrors on them.

CadillacLuke24
06-25-12, 04:36 PM
SHHHHH Ryan! The dealers don't want you spreading their secrets!

I did the mirror trick and it works like a charm. Even with my left mirror, which I changed only partway so I can back up, works great.

RippyPartsDept
06-25-12, 05:09 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rearview-Mirrors-to-Eliminate-Blind-Spots

The-Dullahan
06-25-12, 06:21 PM
I am a tad frightened there are people who don't already set their mirrors up this way...

But it would explain some of the more absurd accidents I have seen.

brandondeleo
06-25-12, 08:54 PM
I saw that video around the time I got my first car. Been using it ever since, never had a problem with merging.

ryannel2003
06-25-12, 10:07 PM
I drove an XTS today with this Vibra butt technology and I gotta say it was quite cool how subtle it was... but that still doesn't hide the fact it's just another useless technology that will only break in the oncoming years.

ben.gators
06-25-12, 11:36 PM
I drove an XTS today with this Vibra butt technology and I gotta say it was quite cool how subtle it was... but that still doesn't hide the fact it's just another useless technology that will only break in the oncoming years.

Just that? This is all you want to tell us about the XTS and your experience? Or you posted the complete review somewhere else? :p

UPDATE: I could find your review in XTS section! Thanks :D