: The most useless gauge....

stuckbehindaprius
06-19-12, 04:48 PM
Just wanted to vent,; had an almost empty tank in my Vagon and selected the "distance to tank empty" mode. It said "low range." Ya think??? What's the point of the gauge if it doesn't tell you when you're going to run out of gas??

JoeS823
06-19-12, 05:16 PM
Lol that's the same reaction I had when I was close to e and I wanted to see how many miles I had.

RippyPartsDept
06-19-12, 05:37 PM
it goes to "low" when you get below 40 miles or something like that

at least that's what it does in my '99 and i'm pretty sure they've kept the same philosophy

DiamondWhtV
06-19-12, 06:04 PM
I was told never to run the tank lower than 1/8. The fuel pump needs to be submersed in fuel to keep cool. Not sure if the V has the pump in the tank or not, but I stuck with that philosophy anyway. Never tried the miles to go lower than that.

Mike02z
06-19-12, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing they do this for legal reasons.

Joe Bozo decides to wait until his gauge says "3 miles to empty" before thinking about getting gas. His car dies so he files a suit since the car said "3 miles to empty".

Again, just a guess but I'd bet that is the reason most cars say "low range" below a certain point.

Darnell
06-19-12, 06:35 PM
The range displayed is only an estimate. I think low range makes more sense that an inaccurate number that could leave you stranded. I know on the Explore I drove in college it would say 0 miles left when you actually had a gallon or two left in the tank.

tbauer
06-19-12, 06:56 PM
Haha my thoughts exactly. My guess is its just manufacturer preference. Several Ford cars, trucks, and SUVs we have owned all go to zero. Several GM cars and trucks all say low range. All the Fords have gone to zero before filling up (my girl never gets gas just grabs a different set of keys). :rant2:

larry arizona
06-19-12, 07:14 PM
Low range on a V could be dangerous if they gave you actual mileage because with the loud pedal 20 miles left could go to 3 miles of range in on blip of the gas. HA. Low range on when I fill up leaves me with appx 2 gallons of fuel assuming that you can use that full 2 gallons would give you bout 30 miles range. Thats already pushing it.

Xaqtly
06-19-12, 07:15 PM
Yeah that annoys me too. My Subaru would keep counting the miles down until it got to zero, but there was still at least a gallon left in the tank at that point. I'd rather they did that than just say "low range".

CTSV12
06-19-12, 08:08 PM
So, do you believe they should build in a crystal ball to predict how and where you are going to drive for he last couple of gallons. Our cars can vary from 8 mpg to over 20, depending on elevation change and right foot depression activity. 40 miles remaining can become 15 or the opposite depending upon the crystal ball.

hulksdaddy
06-19-12, 08:11 PM
Holy crap, now you want nannies to tell you when to put gas in your car?!?:thehand:

BWhite58
06-19-12, 08:51 PM
Keep the fuel pump submerged in cooling gasoline !

JFJr
06-19-12, 10:18 PM
Ever hear about the range computer? Use a a little common sense with the technology; it's not perfect. Plan ahead and set reasonable limits. Otherwise, you deserve to run out of gas.

Jud

Xaqtly
06-20-12, 11:55 AM
So, do you believe they should build in a crystal ball to predict how and where you are going to drive for he last couple of gallons.

No, I believe they should give us as much information as they possibly can. Saying "low range" is so unhelpful it might as well not even be there. Do you believe they used a crystal ball to estimate how many miles you have left to go BEFORE it changes to "low range"? We're not talking about witchcraft here. All they have to do is let the software continue to estimate how many miles it thinks you have left, instead of arbitrarily changing to "low range".

Holy crap, now you want nannies to tell you when to put gas in your car?!?:thehand:

You're right, they should just take the gas gauge out completely, and let you guess when you're going to run out of gas. That makes much more sense.

Ever hear about the range computer? Use a a little common sense with the technology; it's not perfect. Plan ahead and set reasonable limits. Otherwise, you deserve to run out of gas.

Yeah the range computer is what we're talking about. Specifically how it changes to "low range" instead of continuing to estimate how many more miles you have to go. As far as I know, nobody is complaining about running out of gas, that's not the point. The point is to have more useful information. Before I got the V, I had a car that had the same kind of range estimator, and it counted down until it hit zero. The V doesn't do that, it just says "low range" when you're at 40 miles to go or something like that. Seems to me that it's just telling you to get gas at that point, which is far more of a nanny than simply showing you how much farther it thinks you can go.

Nobody is saying "we need this feature because we keep running out of gas". We're just saying it would be nice to have more information. Stop overreacting, people.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-20-12, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll document your replies.

Stuckbehindaprius, I double checked your owners manual, and just wanted to confirm it goes to "Low Range" when the fuel range drops below about 30 miles (page 5-28). Glad forums like this exist so you can vent when you need to, and I hope the resulting discussion was cathartic!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

M5eater
06-20-12, 05:59 PM
I was told never to run the tank lower than 1/8. The fuel pump needs to be submersed in fuel to keep cool. Not sure if the V has the pump in the tank or not, but I stuck with that philosophy anyway. Never tried the miles to go lower than that.

This would be the primary reason as my best guess
The tank in the V is specifically slightly larger to make sure the pump is fully submerged (since the gas acts as a coolant)

running cars to fumes is not a good thing in the slightest. Infact, in my B5 S4 it was directly linked to fuel pump failure. Some of that was because the S4's tank actually had a secondary pump that pumped fuel from the reserve tank into the main tank, but the same logic applies.

I can't see how a litigious reason applies here. They're not paying people for running their car's out of gas that I've heard of yet.

SoCal_V
06-20-12, 06:31 PM
As uninformative as the "Low Range" indicator may be, I *DID* find it cool that the nav system popped an alert the moment "Low Range" came up and asked if I wanted to find the nearest gas stations to my location. That was very cool.

The last time I ran the tank down to "Low Range," the dang thing still had 3-4 gallons...which in a tiny 18-gallon tank is quite a bit.

The lack of usable range due to the small tank is probably my #1 complaint about the car at this point.

Mike02z
06-20-12, 06:39 PM
The lack of usable range due to the small tank is probably my #1 complaint about the car at this point.

:yeah: My #1 complaint as well.

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 08:20 PM
My Town Car goes to 0. I've pushed about 6 miles past that before. I've run it past 0 about a dozen times in my '11 alone. I just put in a record 18.37 gallons on Monday on a trip down and back from NYC. I like it better, but I know why GM does this.

When I hit Low Range I know I've got about 2 gallons.

cdog533
06-21-12, 11:00 AM
Just wanted to vent,; had an almost empty tank in my Vagon and selected the "distance to tank empty" mode. It said "low range." Ya think??? What's the point of the gauge if it doesn't tell you when you're going to run out of gas??

Yes, it is the OPPOSITE OF useful. It might as well say PLENTY O'GAS for 200 miles, then start ticking down at 40 miles to empty. When it gets below 40 miles, that's when I actually need it, and that's when it says LOW RANGE.

RippyPartsDept
06-21-12, 11:50 AM
what's the difference between that and one that says 0 miles left but lets you drive for another 30 miles before running out of gas?

Xaqtly
06-21-12, 12:03 PM
what's the difference between that and one that says 0 miles left but lets you drive for another 30 miles before running out of gas?

Well the difference would be in the granularity of the information you're getting as it gets closer to empty. For me, it would just be nice to know if I've got 40 miles left, or 10. "Low Range" doesn't tell me anything. I like having more information as opposed to less.

Dogbreath
06-21-12, 01:18 PM
None of you guys must own sport bikes. The last few that I've owned don't even have a gauge. They have a light that comes on when the tank is low. Coming from that, having a gauge that is accurate to the last drop in the tank seems like a bit of overkill. Just fill up when you get to 1/4 tank and go on with life.

RippyPartsDept
06-21-12, 02:29 PM
Xaqtly... it's the same thing ...

when the GM gauge says 40 you have 10 miles left until it goes to 'Low' and the gauge becomes useless, right?

on a Ford when it says 10 you have 10 miles left until it says '0' and the gauge becomes useless ...

same thing... right?

technically GM's is more accurate and informative since it gives the actual distance to empty while the ford style does a compensation adjustment
when the ford style gauge goes to zero you have no clue how many more miles you can go until you run out of gas
in the gm cars you know you've got about 30 miles (at your current avg rate of consumption)

Xaqtly
06-21-12, 04:32 PM
No, because in one case there's basically a dummy light saying "get gas", and in the other case you've got a more well defined estimate on how many more miles you can go. Like I said, I prefer more information to less. GM's does give you distance to empty until you get to 40 miles, then it's just a dummy light saying "low range". What I'm saying is that instead of switching to "low range", I'd want it to simply continue to keep estimating the miles to go. That's all.

I don't need it to tell me I need to get gas. I want it to tell me how many miles I have to go.

Xaqtly
06-21-12, 04:32 PM
sorry, double post.

DiamondWhtV
06-21-12, 06:00 PM
No, because in one case there's basically a dummy light saying "get gas", and in the other case you've got a more well defined estimate on how many more miles you can go. Like I said, I prefer more information to less. GM's does give you distance to empty until you get to 40 miles, then it's just a dummy light saying "low range". What I'm saying is that instead of switching to "low range", I'd want it to simply continue to keep estimating the miles to go. That's all.

I don't need it to tell me I need to get gas. I want it to tell me how many miles I have to go.

Have you checked the TPW readings against actual? I know it's off subject, but the same would apply to that as well. It's close, but not accurate. If it the remaining distance showed actual miles left...it wouldn't be accurate anyway.

stuckbehindaprius
06-22-12, 12:04 PM
Great to read all of the replies, I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic!!! I too have a sport bike which has no fuel gauge, but you can just open the tank and look inside, or judge it by how many miles you've gone. I did learn from this thread not to let the tank go empty due to cooling, so I'll make sure to fill it more often. FWIW, I'd rather have a gauge that tells me there are 10 miles left to empty when I can really go 20 than one that just says fuel is low.

Xaqtly
06-22-12, 12:06 PM
If it the remaining distance showed actual miles left...it wouldn't be accurate anyway.

...but it would be more accurate than a warning that says "low range". :D

DiamondWhtV
06-22-12, 02:19 PM
...but it would be more accurate than a warning that says "low range". :D

Well you do have a point. :cheers:

With the wifes Honda, it tells her the tires are low...but doesn't say which one. At least the Caddy you can tell which tire is low. But again you are correct her's tell you how many miles are left down to 0 miles and the Caddy says "low range"

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 03:49 PM
if you can figure out a way to get it to be exact as it gets down to the last drop of gas then i'm sure GM would hire you on the spot ... you could probably pick up a patent or two along the way

and who doesn't like holding patents anyway, right?

Xaqtly
06-22-12, 04:45 PM
if you can figure out a way to get it to be exact as it gets down to the last drop of gas then i'm sure GM would hire you on the spot ... you could probably pick up a patent or two along the way

...what? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. As far as I can tell, nobody is complaining about the accuracy. I'm certainly not. As I've said at least three times now, all I'm saying is that it would be nice if it simply continued to count down the estimated miles to empty INSTEAD of switching to the almost comically unhelpful "low range".

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 05:22 PM
that's the point ... it's non-trivial to make that gauge read accurately when the car is low on gas

ford gets away with this by sliding their 'miles to empty' down by 30 or so miles so that it runs to 0 ... and then you can still drive amazingly for another 30 or so miles

so what's the difference between GM's "low range" and Ford's "0" miles to empty?
if you ask me the difference is that GM's is more honest ... it uses actual miles to empty until the gas gets too low to be accurate

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 05:24 PM
i'm not saying one way is more right than the other ... they both accomplish the same thing
the only advantage i see with the GM approach is that you have an idea of how many miles are truly left till empty right before the gauge stops reading miles and changes over to 'low range'

in a ford you really don't know how much more you can drive until empty once you pass the "0"

and it's not good to be running that low on gas anyway (for reasons mentioned earlier among others)

Trapspeed
06-22-12, 08:50 PM
I didn't realize it was such a contentious topic.

Anything here can become one. Anything.