: Door dings

grunt0311
06-19-12, 04:43 PM
Ive had my brand new CTS for about two months now! Some jerk opened his door next to mine and left me a gift of a nice quarter sized dent and paint transfer! Stuff like this aggravates me to no end and simple reinforces my opinion that people plain don't care and have no respect for other peoples property!

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 04:53 PM
Why did you allow it to happen?

MotownPimp
06-19-12, 05:02 PM
What were circumstances?

Important to take ever precaution you can. I always look for a corner spot (successful about 90%) so I'm only "exposed" on one side. That cuts risk 50% by itself. If no corner, I look for remote spot & walk a little further. if I must have a car beside me, I get every inch of separation possible. If going to place (e.g. mall) where risk is high, I drive something other than the Caddy.

You have to work at being dent free.

Jesda
06-19-12, 05:09 PM
Look for a good paintless dent repair guy. They are awesome.

Playdrv4me
06-19-12, 05:15 PM
Is the paint broken? No?... PDR and move on with life.

Yes? You will need more intensive repair.

orconn
06-19-12, 05:19 PM
Ive had my brand new CTS for about two months now! Some jerk opened his door next to mine and left me a gift of a nice quarter sized dent and paint transfer! Stuff like this aggravates me to no end and simple reinforces my opinion that people plain don't care and have no respect for other peoples property!

Gee, Grunt, how long have you been around? It sounds like you may not be old enough to drive!

93DevilleUSMC
06-19-12, 07:11 PM
Grunt! What is the world's deadliest weapon? You know this...and post a pic of the CTS.

Faded Crest
06-19-12, 07:44 PM
Door dings are a shame, but it's not the end of the world. You are no bigger than what causes your blood pressure to rise.

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 08:02 PM
Not only does a corner spot reduce odds of dings, getting the car right up to the curb usually leaves a space big enough to not to let doors touch. If someone is in the car, I let them out and back into the spot. But I prefer parking far away and double spotting it. Just be wary of douchedeville...

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 09:15 PM
I usually just park farther away and walk. No biggie.

BIGREECE
06-19-12, 11:20 PM
Since we're talking about dings, NEVER EVER park under an oak tree in the fall!!!:tisk:

Faded Crest
06-20-12, 12:38 AM
^^^ And never park under a Mimosa tree in the summer unless you like washing your car every single day. :annoyed:

BIGREECE
06-20-12, 12:57 AM
Champagne and orange juice falling from trees HMMMM...:alchi:
^^^ And never park under a Mimosa tree in the summer unless you like washing your car every single day. :annoyed:

grunt0311
06-20-12, 01:36 AM
Grunt! What is the world's deadliest weapon? You know this...and post a pic of the CTS.

A Marine an his rifle!

I take pride and care for everything that i own thats why i get pissed at things like this! I attended a wedding this past weekend...upon my arrival back to the hotel i made sure that i did not park near anyone!! Fortunately i have a good friend who owns a body shop!

grunt0311
06-20-12, 01:38 AM
Why did you allow it to happen?

Really??

BIGREECE
06-20-12, 01:38 AM
Sorry Faded I could not resist!, trees and no garage can work you every day, I know the feeling all to well. Arizona must be great1

grunt0311
06-20-12, 01:42 AM
Door dings are a shame, but it's not the end of the world. You are no bigger than what causes your blood pressure to rise.

Yea thanks!

Faded Crest
06-20-12, 02:04 AM
Sorry Faded I could not resist!, trees and no garage can work you every day, I know the feeling all to well. Arizona must be great1

I wish I knew. Plans have changed and I'm still here in NC under the Mimosa.

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:31 AM
I agree that does suck big time. But I also agree with everyone else, you should watch where to park it. For example, I drive a truck for a living. I've gotta nice, scratch free STS. So to keep something from happening to it while im gone all week, I drive my fiancÚs car to the yard, a Saturn ion, and she takes my caddy thru the week. That way I don't come back to find that a semi backed into my car. It'll be her car instead. Hehe. And she's more than ok with that bc she kinda likes driving that car anyway. Lol. Even tho she says it's to big sometimes. Lol

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 02:36 AM
Truckinman for the strategy win! LOL. Yeah, park strategically. I parked in a corner spot, didn't ding anybody, and still got a dime dinger to the metal on the opposite side. Now, instead of at the nursing home, I park at the closed elementary school across the street! NOBODY parks near me, its under a light, and they haven't farted with the school yet. When I'm at Kmart, I park at the faaaaaaar end of the lot, where nobody else even bothers to consider. My school spot in Laramie is even better :D

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:42 AM
Well right now, this week, I'm driving my future mother-in-laws mini van bc Chrissys' car is in the shop. So I'm even less worried about getting hit by a semi while parked. Hehehe

93DevilleUSMC
06-20-12, 04:37 AM
@Grunt: damn right. Good to meet you.

grunt0311
06-20-12, 06:46 AM

Semper Fi!

grunt0311
06-20-12, 06:48 AM

Semper Fi!!

Aztec ETC ECS
06-20-12, 05:21 PM
What were circumstances?

Important to take ever precaution you can. I always look for a corner spot (successful about 90%) so I'm only "exposed" on one side. That cuts risk 50% by itself. If no corner, I look for remote spot & walk a little further. if I must have a car beside me, I get every inch of separation possible. If going to place (e.g. mall) where risk is high, I drive something other than the Caddy. You have to work at being dent free.

Sometimes a corner spot gets you this:

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2008/10/medium_Dogs-Ate-My-Car.jpg

orconn
06-20-12, 05:31 PM
That looks like Charlton Heston's brother, Seymour Heston! Funny no one ever talked about ol" Seymour!

ryannel2003
06-20-12, 06:55 PM
I park in a corner space or drive around the parking lot and find a nice car to park next to if the lot is full. If you park next to a dinged up old Mercury or something... well your just asking for it.

hueterm
06-20-12, 06:58 PM
Avoid crappy 2 door cars like the plague...

The-Dullahan
06-20-12, 07:20 PM
I park up front, near the fire lane, where it is not technically a space, but part of the blue-painted area of the handicapped area. I am not on cameras, both externally and internally from whatever store I am at, there is not a parking space within about eighty feet of my vehicle (Except the one handicapped space nearest, which is about five feet away) I am beneath a large lamp, so it is hardly a dark or concerning spot to park and I undoubtedly have dozens of witnesses if anyone ever tried to do anything shady and the cameras were not deterrents enough.

When in doubt, make up your own rules. It works for everything.

Alternatively, buy one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bBpDNRP5qQ&t=4m45s

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 08:58 PM
Really??Yep. I don't get them because I plan.

grunt0311
06-20-12, 09:24 PM
Yep. I don't get them because I plan.

I bet you do!

BIGREECE
06-20-12, 09:56 PM
You're such a rebel parking that close to a handicap space, Hope the wheelchair does'nt scratch you're passenger door!:suspense:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-20-12, 10:06 PM
I don't now about preventing door dings, but this beauty is good for all the d*ckheads that like to park by feel!:

http://www.bellautomotive.com//v/vspfiles/photos/22-1-46134-1BK-2T.jpg

hey8you
06-21-12, 01:31 AM
I don't now about preventing door dings, but this beauty is good for all the d*ckheads that like to park by feel!:

http://www.bellautomotive.com//v/vspfiles/photos/22-1-46134-1BK-2T.jpg

Needed that on my saturn. People in SF park by touch. Took 4 months of parking on the streets of SF to get scratches on all 4 corners. Never got a ding while parked at the mall in daly city when I worked there.

The-Dullahan
06-21-12, 04:17 AM
You're such a rebel parking that close to a handicap space, Hope the wheelchair does'nt scratch you're passenger door!:suspense:

I'd lift the old lady out of it, hurl it into traffic and the state would just end up having to blame it all on the schizophrenic paranoia that got me my handicapped license plate in the first place. No charges filed. Ever.

93DevilleUSMC
06-21-12, 12:47 PM
Semper Fi!!

OOh-rah. Still in?

93DevilleUSMC
06-21-12, 12:48 PM
@ Grunt: if a door ding or two is all that happens to your car body, you aren't doing half bad. Fix it and move on, brother.

ShapeShifter
06-21-12, 04:12 PM
There are certain malls and shopping places I won't go to. If you park well away from other cars, you come back and some clunker is parked within a mirrors length of your drivers door. Idiots!! Compassionate Eradication Candidates.

grunt0311
06-22-12, 05:28 PM
OOh-rah. Still in?

Negative been out 10 years now....I miss it every day!! You?

93DevilleUSMC
06-23-12, 03:47 AM
Been out six. I get a reminder every time it rains or the humidity goes up. I miss it, though.