Cadillac Owners Forum banner

8 plugs, 5 hours... what beer?

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  lollygagger8 
#1 ·
OK, after doing all the checking on the forum to see the hell people have gone through in changing spark plugs... I've decided to take the plunge and (attempt to) change them this weekend. I've given myself five hours to do so. I've got the tools, I'm picking up the plugs tomorrow (AC Delco Iridium), but the most important question I have is... what six pack should I have handy? I was going to go with Corona, but does anyone have suggestions? I'm keeping with a six pack because I don't want to get shitfaced while working on my engine and break something.

Thoughts?

#17 ·
Oh, I saw this - almost made me think of finding someone else to do the job. One thing I always do is judge if I should do something is by calling one of the local Caddy dealers to see how much a repair would be - cheapest one over the phone was $300. At that price, my knuckles are already torn to shreds from boxing classes, so a couple more scars aren't going to kill me. Shit, at that price, I can break a hand while doing it and still come out ahead..

#13 ·
I just used some channel locks and leveraged against the valve covers. They came off without a problem.

Mechanix gloves are an absolute necessity. I've been thru two pair in the last few years working almost entirely on my own cars.

Whenever I try to drink beer while working on a car I just forget about it while I'm elbow deep... but a beer afterward is the best, especially when you continue drinking in the shower.

#16 ·
OK well, I'll wait a week and get some plug wires as well... guess that'll lead to a six pack and a nice cigar weekend. :thumbsup:

Do the MSD wires really make a difference? I see Rock Auto has the AC Delco red leads (like I have on my car) for $55 and I don't think they're too bad.I currently don't have anything else done to my car, but if and when I do something, it would probably be header/exhaust and that's it. I've got nearly 120,000 miles on the car and can't justify going balls out with internals, etc.

#18 ·
I don't think you get any benefit out of them over the stock ones. They seem fairly similar. I just couldn't find any decent wires, the AC Delcos were sold out so it was the $35 set from the parts stores, the extreme AC delcos for $150, or the MSD for $55. I had a wire pulled apart so I had to get something ordered ASAP. The stock ones had a 90 degree fitting where the MSD ones have a bendable end that doesn't quite go 90 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.