: Cars broken into!

Faded Crest
06-18-12, 04:36 PM
Perhaps "broken into" does not best describe what happened since the doors were unlocked, but I discovered this morning that somebody had been in my '98 Eldorado overnight! The way I know is that many items in my car were out of place. I had a map in the side door pocket that was laying on the seat, and some life saver mints I keep in the console were all over the place and also my sunglasses that I also keep in the console were laying out on the seat.

As I pulled away to go run an errand I called my wife to ask her if she had been in the car looking for something. But as expected, her answer was "no". She is the neater of the two of us and would never have left things on the seat. Fortunately nothing was missing... Mainly because I had nothing of value in the car. When I got home later, my wife said the other car had been gone through as well as the would-be burglar left the glove box open.

In 14 years living in this house I have never had this happen. This is the kind of neighborhood where you feel you can leave your doors unlocked at night. It is disconcerting and my first instinct is to make sure the car doors are locked from now on... But then again, if they really wanted to get in they would have just broken the window. :noidea:

Sad times we live in.

drewsdeville
06-18-12, 04:45 PM
Fortunately nothing was missing... Mainly because I had nothing of value in the car.

It is disconcerting and my first instinct is to make sure the car doors are locked from now on... But then again, if they really wanted to get in they would have just broken the window. :noidea:

This is my theory as well - you are the only supporting story I've heard so far. Like you, I leave nothing of value in the vehicle. I leave doors unlocked, and sometimes windows down. I've yet to have someone unknown enter my vehicle - that I know of. I don't lose sleep over the possibility that someone may have since I've never dealt with stolen items, broken door locks, or smashed windows.

Like you said, if someone really wants to rummage through your car, they'll break the window or locks - they really aren't much resistance, but they sure are an inconvenience when broken. Your best bet is to leave an easy entry, and leave nothing to find.

Faded Crest
06-18-12, 04:50 PM
^^^ That has always been my policy when I have had convertibles. I would have visions of someone taking a knife to the convertible top to get in to steal something of less value than a new top.. Seems like cutting a top would be more tempting to a burglar than breaking a window. But both would be costly and a major hassle to replace.

talismandave
06-18-12, 05:09 PM
My Sebring was sliced onto once. I was actually glad they chose that instead of a window. A curved big needle and thread, 15 min, and some white silicone and I was good to go and not even late for work. Would be different on a nice car or show car, but worked out great for me.

rodnok01
06-18-12, 06:54 PM
The last time the wifey locked my car door at home I almost ripped the door handle off by mistake...

I've had my truck and car rifled through over the years at my last place, nothing stolen except a couple bucks of change maybe. They didn't shut the door all the way so I didn't hear them. Stupid door swung open when I backed out. I have lived places where they would rob you blind if your car was unlocked....that's why I moved.

77CDV
06-18-12, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear that, Marc, but good no damage was done to the car.

Jesda
06-18-12, 07:40 PM
I park outside with the top open. I think criminals assume its a bait car or something.

cadillac kevin
06-18-12, 08:12 PM
I park outside with the top open. I think criminals assume its a bait car or something.
Or they feel sorry for you because its a saab and leave it alone

orconn
06-18-12, 08:33 PM

It's a bait car all right, just not for "profit seeking" criminals! I'd be on the look out for certain deviant members of society though!

The-Dullahan
06-18-12, 11:09 PM
My Parents, being trusting people, as they came from the Italian Ghetto in Staten Island, never locked their cars. My Father growing up [the one and only original] Projects, never had any fear of this type of behaviour. One time in Florida though, the paperwork for their truck had been taken out and thrown in a neighbour's yard. The person who did it, did similar things to many other cars up and down the street. Turns out, their next-door neighbour was his brother, who is a very successful man who tries to help and take care of his homeless brother, who lives in the four corners area. He just gets a bit crazy sometimes and does such nonsense.

They did not learn to lock the doors from there though.

When the Shenanigans with my stalker first started, as a result of my sister (And in all original acts, my sister's stalker, not my own) one of the first things done to my family was that my parents new Ford Fusion SEL had been opened up and filled with garbage. This gargage was directly traceable to the individuals responsible, being things like fast food wrappers or other things that could only come from one place and every item came from the places they used as their alibi for how it could not have been them. It made no sense though, because they also had to drop one of these kids off at their home, which at the time, was right up my the street, three houses away, yet they claimed to have never been in the neighbourhood (and still somehow claimed to have dropped her off at in her driveway). The local police did nothing.

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 11:17 PM
If someone broke into my car it would make me want to cut them open with a box knife, but I don't keep anything in my car, so losing things isn't an issue. My top is new, though. That'd SUCK. I leave my car with the top down, windows down, stereo faceplate on, etc. in the middle of downtown with no concern at all. Ellensburg is a very pleasant place to live. My neighborhood is tight knit and isolated, but it's a pretty affluent neighborhood. Could be a target for the more clever criminal, since everyone leaves everything unlocked. Hell, I leave the house unlocked all the time. Insurance is a great thing to have either way. The damage factor isn't much of a concern, because I have full theft/vandalism coverage.

Playdrv4me
06-18-12, 11:29 PM
Locks are for honest people.

donwon
06-19-12, 12:46 AM
In Spartanburg Sc. Sat. Or Sun. night someone broke a window out of 6 cars in the same subdivison.
I don't think there was anything of value in any of the cars. This is not the norm for the upscale subs. around in this area.
I lock my doors whenever I get out of my car, even in the driveway.

The-Dullahan
06-19-12, 01:07 PM
^Typical day in Spartanburg...

orconn
06-19-12, 01:24 PM
Perhaps the title should have been "cars molested while sitting unlocked in front of my house!" or "car invader strikes in Georgia!"

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 01:46 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was at work (night manager at local Hampton Inn) and I heard a loud noise, so I looked at the cameras, but I saw nothing. I decided to go walk around the perimeter of the hotel, and I came across a brand new black 3 door Hyundai Accent with its driver door window smashed open. This is weird because this kind of thing NEVER happens in Ellensburg, even around the university. Apparently a couple of teenagers got drunk off of their asses and wreaked havoc on that end of town. That Accent was one of 6 cars that got vandalized. The guest took it surprisingly well. Totally cool about it.

Faded Crest
06-19-12, 01:55 PM
Well I live a pretty sheltered life here in my safe little neighborhood. I am fully aware of the crap out there, but make it a point to avoid trouble and troubled areas. So when this kind of thing happens, it is a little reminder that there is no place that you can completely take safety for granted.

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 03:29 AM
I feel your pain Marc. I really do, after the tire incident. We think we are safe, our fellow man cares about us, and we can live in peace.

And then some @$$hole comes and ruins it for us.

I'm paranoid about my baby, so I ABSOLUTELY have to make sure she's locked after any door opening, or even trunk opening. Now I check my tires after work, when I get home from work on bike, etc. I just can't trust anyone anymore. I feel like it would take a garage with steel plating to feel safe again.

Sad, sad times we live in. Indeed.

DjSesso
06-20-12, 04:20 AM
I could never imagine leaving my car unlocked.. We even have 3 cameras out front of our house

ThumperPup
06-22-12, 11:36 AM
have had only 1 car broken into
and im lucky the the dude checked to see the doors where unlocked i had barrow and been driving my Moms Lebaron Convertible back in the mid 90s and my neighbor and good friend always told me
with a convertible don't ever bother locking the doors cause it will cost you more in the long run if they slice the roof to get in

brandondeleo
06-22-12, 12:04 PM
with a convertible don't ever bother locking the doors cause it will cost you more in the long run if they slice the roof to get in
:yeah:

truckinman
06-22-12, 12:53 PM
Yup. I've had to many cars and a semi broken into. I know how ya feel. Even when they don't take anything, just knowing some low life thief was in there trying to tale something you worked hard to pay for, and they think they can just help themselves to it.....NOTHING pisses me off more. I just wanna catch some one in the act so I can scare the crap out of them with the sound of my bolt action rifle loading on into the chamber.

CadillacLuke24
06-22-12, 04:13 PM
Amen truckinman! I would never kill anybody over theft, or anything for that matter. That's just wrong. Murdering their underwear beyond modern stainlifting techniques? SIGN ME UP! The look on their face would be priceless! You could have them cornered and then be like, "i'm feeling generous today, so I'm gonna let you off if you leave whatever you took. And if you come back, we's gonna have PROBLEMS. COMPRENDE?!?"

orconn
06-22-12, 05:32 PM
Big talk, cow poke!

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 05:35 PM
Luke, you could threaten to "like" them to death.

cadillac kevin
06-22-12, 06:19 PM
Amen truckinman! I would never kill anybody over theft, or anything for that matter. That's just wrong. Murdering their underwear beyond modern stainlifting techniques? SIGN ME UP! The look on their face would be priceless! You could have them cornered and then be like, "i'm feeling generous today, so I'm gonna let you off if you leave whatever you took. And if you come back, we's gonna have PROBLEMS. COMPRENDE?!?"
RIIIGHT....
Life isn't an "old west" movie with cliche' dialog. That's only good for getting you hurt (or worse)

Its more like "GET THE F*** OFF MY PROPERTY (insert string of expletives)" or call the police and wait (despite what you see on TV/ movies, walking into your yard and starting a confrontation with a loaded weapon is a very bad idea, because you are considered to be starting a confrontation, and you will be held responsible if the other person(s) get hurt or die as a result).

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 06:23 PM
I don't believe that Lovable Luke would do that anyway. He'd somehow break out into a big ":D" which might freak out the burglar a little bit.

cadillac kevin
06-22-12, 06:25 PM
I don't believe that Lovable Luke would do that anyway. He'd somehow break out into a big ":D" which might freak out the burglar a little bit.
then he'd say something like "I LIKE YOU!!!!"
and they'd be like "holy ****...this dudes weird"...and run away

Faded Crest
06-22-12, 06:27 PM
^^^ :rofl:

CadillacLuke24
06-23-12, 02:54 AM
:rollingpin: Darn you guys! Here I was thinking I was all tough, but you are probably right. :rolleyes:

Jesda
06-23-12, 04:00 AM
Or they feel sorry for you because its a saab and leave it alone

Who would steal from an architect

I parked the BMW with the top open too and sometimes left my iPod in the cupholder. Back then, a video iPod was worth stealing. :P

ShapeShifter
06-23-12, 10:33 AM
.....We think we are safe, our fellow man cares about us, and we can live in peace.

And then some @$$hole comes and ruins it for us....Sad, sad times we live in. Indeed.
Less we forget, the Manson Family's Tate-LaBianca murders of 1969 forever served notice; that sick twisted bastards invade all walks of life, regardless of ones financial success and residential exclusivity. A very sad, but ever increasing fact for those of us who live mostly honest lives.

--------
I've had a total of four vehicles broken into, of which two were actually stolen.