: Detailing??

CTS-Vz
06-18-12, 01:27 PM
Hi All,

I've never had my car detailed and wanted to ask a few quick questions.

1. What's an average price and what does that include?
2. Can they take out surface scratches, swirling, deeper scratches (ones you can get your finger nail in)?
3. Anything to be cautious of?
4. How frequently do ppl get these?

Thanks!!!
Vz

jenlain
06-18-12, 05:50 PM
Cost depends on your location and the services you need. I have an excellent detailer in the Midwest who charges me $250 for interior and exterior. Check autopia for recommended detailers in your area. They can get out a surprising number of defects, but deep scratches are usually not their specialty.

I find that 2x per year is needed to keep the car looking good based on my driving habits.

CTS-Vz
06-18-12, 10:01 PM
Cool. Thanks, Jen!

rjoffe
06-18-12, 10:40 PM
Location = price as said above. When I lived in Chapel Hill, NC I had a guy that spent all day on the car for $90, and he did an incredible job. Same job in NoVA is $300

Darnell
06-19-12, 02:41 AM
If your fingernail catches it they can't really fix it, but can maybe make it a little less noticeable. I paid $400, but my car was really bad, two guys spent over 8 hours on it.

VhiteVagon
06-19-12, 06:24 AM
Location = price as said above. When I lived in Chapel Hill, NC I had a guy that spent all day on the car for $90, and he did an incredible job. Same job in NoVA is $300

Who's the guy in Chapel Hill? I might be in need of a good detailer.

CTS-Vz
06-19-12, 09:30 AM
Ha. I went to UNC. Wouldn't have needed a detailed for the piece of crap car I had back then!

rjoffe
06-19-12, 10:39 AM
Who's the guy in Chapel Hill? I might be in need of a good detailer.

It's been 4-5 years :(. I think his name was Evan, but I may be mistaken. He had a dark purple or dark blue PT Cruiser if I remember right. Google shows an Evan's Majestic Touch. That may have been him.

Ron

larry arizona
06-19-12, 01:18 PM
I charge $150 to $300 and spend 6 to 10 hours (requires an overnight stay too due to zaino) with it. Wash/strip it, Clay bar it, machine wheel (not orbital) it in several stages with different pads/compounds,wash it, zaino it, ship it. But its a side gig for me and includes a full zaino system of 2 coats of Z5 2 coats of Z2 and finish with Z8. All shops do it different, Funny thing is that majority of my jobs are black vehicles.

cruiser68
06-19-12, 04:32 PM
I was charged $400 for paint correction. Looked fantastic when done. Black cars are no fun :( He spend 8-10 hours on it. I expect paint correction once a year and a sealant once or twice between paint correction. I will use a no touch in the winter to get salt off but try to hand wash every weekend.

CTS-Vz
06-21-12, 09:51 PM
Any of you NC guys get a detailer you liked around Charlotte? Thanks in advance!

MSOsr
06-22-12, 06:22 PM
I had my Thunder Gray Chromaflair one step polished, followed by application of Opti-Guard. Opti-Guard is permanent and is supposed to last a lifetime as a "2d clearcoat". I only wash my car now with Optimum No Rinse and it looks brand new. Video of my car being done is here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/140742-2012-cadillac-cts-v-polish-opti-guard-garry-dean-tampa-fl.html

If you read some of the posts about Opti-Guard, it apparently is the real deal. Never polish or wax again!

Mike (is amazed at the perfection of the finish)

Darnell
06-22-12, 08:16 PM
Whats up with the extra Cadillac emblem?

I had my Thunder Gray Chromaflair one step polished, followed by application of Opti-Guard. Opti-Guard is permanent and is supposed to last a lifetime as a "2d clearcoat". I only wash my car now with Optimum No Rinse and it looks brand new. Video of my car being done is here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/140742-2012-cadillac-cts-v-polish-opti-guard-garry-dean-tampa-fl.html

If you read some of the posts about Opti-Guard, it apparently is the real deal. Never polish or wax again!

Mike (is amazed at the perfection of the finish)

MSOsr
06-22-12, 10:41 PM
I bought the car with 7,000 miles on it and those were on there. I think the dealer did it at the request of the original purchaser (who has purchased 24 cars from them in 11 years...and he's single!)

Mike (with a customer like that, I'd add some extras too)

grasshopper
06-25-12, 12:46 PM
Larry arizona...is this your side gig? The price you charge are definitely reasonable...actually on the low end.

larry arizona
06-25-12, 02:39 PM
GH,

Yes I do it for fun. I do have a day job HA. Anyways I do it out of my barn and enjoy doing paint correction. Can't get all flaws out but you can do ALOT with a wheel and compounds. I used to do autobody and paint 20 years ago and my first engineering coop job was in the automotive paint engineering industry. I do detailing for fun money and also like helping customers out at the same time. I enjoy the reaction you get when they pick up their rides. I treat them like they are my own cars and probably better.