: Rodney King - dead at 47

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 10:28 AM
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/17/12266275-rodney-king-motorist-whose-beating-by-los-angeles-police-officers-sparked-deadly-us-race-riots-dead-at-47?lite&gt1=43001

Rodney King dead. Found in his pool in Rialto (Rialto is a TOTAL ****hole).

Got high->high speed car chase->beat up by the cops->most devastating riot in American history.

Good riddance.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 11:02 AM
Wonder if he left behind a Cadillac.

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 11:34 AM
...or a 1g Talon/Eclipse?

http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Obit-Rodney-King-600x383.jpg

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 12:01 PM
^ He should have had a better car than than that after the $3.8M check.

He did do one thing for us though, coined the phrase, "Can't we all just get along?"

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 12:03 PM
^ He should have had a better car than than that after the $3.8M check.

He lives in Rialto. It's all been gone for a long time if he has to live there.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 12:10 PM
He lives in Rialto.

"Lived"

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 12:11 PM
"Lived"
Yes.

He's better off now. :lol:

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 12:15 PM
Yes.

He's better off now. :lol:

"Rialto's"

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 12:21 PM
"Rialto's"

Daaaaaamn. :lol:

orconn
06-18-12, 12:59 PM
Rodney King was just a catalyst for a riot waiting to happen! What happened in L.A. in

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 02:00 PM
Yeah, Los Angeles was a tinder box in '92. I was born a couple of months after the riots not to far from there.

grunt0311
06-18-12, 02:18 PM
Rodney King was portrayed as a victim..far from the truth! His case was an opportunity for activist groups to exploit and take advantage of the system!! Law enforcement has been under scrutiny ever since! Its unfortunate police officers are portrayed as the enemy by the media and certain other groups! All that BS could mot be further from the truth! Rodney King is not a hero...the media leads you to believe he battled demons and a tough life! He was a junky and alcoholic who made a conscience decision one day to start smoking weed and boozing it up!! He should be in the history books only for a partial video that was taken from a third party who had no idea what took place prior to the beating!! F him!!

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 02:28 PM
"Can't we all just get along?"

orconn
06-18-12, 02:42 PM
Actually, he said, "Can we all get along?"

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 02:43 PM
Actually, he said, "Can we all get along?"

"No, we can't! We're gonna burn down half of Los Angeles for the hell of it!"

orconn
06-18-12, 02:54 PM
Actually there were only a few small business sections burned (residential areas were not touched), but unfortunately, the businesses that were burned were owned by the very same minorities that burned and looted them. The people most hurt by the riots were the minority entrepreneurs who had small shops supplying goods and services to their minority communities. In the five years between the riots and when I left L.A. virtually none of these minority owned businesses gas stations, bakeries, dry cleaners, supermarkets had been rebuilt, forcing the communities they had served to have to drive far distances to buy daily necessities.

Jesda
06-18-12, 02:55 PM
The only good that came of him is greater scrutiny of law enforcement. Otherwise, he was a worthless SOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2pRnBgeBU

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 03:00 PM
"TAKE THAT YOU ****ING BUS!" Lol

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 03:04 PM
"I was feeling beautiful to see all the unity" --- **** you Tupac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSnLka7iyM

Jesda
06-18-12, 03:34 PM
Complain about stereotypes.
Behave like stereotypes.

I enjoyed some of his music, but I'm kind of glad he's "quiet" now.

talismandave
06-18-12, 04:56 PM
You just can't beat Rodney King for a thread topic. (Well..at least not any more.)

Aztec ETC ECS
06-18-12, 05:32 PM
"No, we can't! We're gonna burn down half of Los Angeles for the hell of it!"

Sure "WE" can. If you & I can, everybody can.

77CDV
06-18-12, 06:57 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. It was only a matter of time with him.

vz223
06-18-12, 07:59 PM
Rodney King was portrayed as a victim..far from the truth! His case was an opportunity for activist groups to exploit and take advantage of the system!! Law enforcement has been under scrutiny ever since! Its unfortunate police officers are portrayed as the enemy by the media and certain other groups! All that BS could mot be further from the truth! Rodney King is not a hero...the media leads you to believe he battled demons and a tough life! He was a junky and alcoholic who made a conscience decision one day to start smoking weed and boozing it up!! He should be in the history books only for a partial video that was taken from a third party who had no idea what took place prior to the beating!! F him!!

Well said! I am a recently retired police Sergeant. One thing I taught my rookies as well as the public; police don't initiate pursuits. He was a scum bag before that day!

Ranger
06-18-12, 09:12 PM
He has been glorified to near martyrdom on every news program since his death was announce. Today they mentioned that he had squandered the nearly 4 million dollar settlement he had received. Imagine that!

orconn
06-18-12, 10:05 PM
I don't get this "lionization" of Rodney King on the news broadcasts today. He was just a poor schmuck who made a bad decision (like so many others) and tried to run from the police, got caught after a high speed chase and was taped getting, perhaps, an over zealous beating as police tried to subdue him after his capture. I have heard it said, today, that Rodney King was beaten within an inch of his life .... funny I never heard that from any reliable source before.

The riots had very little to do with Rodney King himself and everything to do with the inability of the LAPD to bring street gang activity and violence under control in Los Angeles. This inability was not the fault of rank and file of the LAPD but stemmed from an ongoing feud between the Chief of Police and the Mayor of Los Angeles, who substituted their bickering for substantive policies and actions to cope with a the escalating street violence and lawlessness affecting many poor minority neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

The LAPD was undermanned and under trained to deal with what was originally street violence on the part of gang members in South Central L.A. Encouraged by any initial attempt by law enforcement to bring the situation under control gang members proceeded to spread the riot activities beyond the local area. Once it became apparent that LAPD was incapable of stemming the violence the gangs spread out around the city hitting lucrative commercial targets where they hope to loot for fun and profit. seeing the gangs success in these activities, areas of L.A. that were home to large illegal immigrant populations erupted in to looting and wanton vandalism and pockets of commercial shops and businesses were lotted and burned around the city. The freeway system and road system and the gang members own and stolen cars proved a very efficient in getting getting the rioters to their targets of opportunity.

There was a failure of law enforcement, but not at the rank and file level, but rather at the policy level of the Chief Gates and the Mayor's office to anticipate the happenings of 1992. But there was also blame to be shared by the voters of the city of Los Angeles who by their refusal to allow funding of additional police officers kept the LAPD force at a level which made it under manned to meet such a situation, but also to strain to contain the daily needs of its' city. Los Angeles has been grossly undermanned police wise since long before Prop 13 cut funding. Compared to other major cities in the US, LA has the lowest number of police officers per capita and these few officers are spread over a far greater number of square miles than any other US city. The situation is further compounded by the need in LA of having squad cars manned by two officers, thus decreasing further police visibility in the city.

The lack of emergency planning which left the rank and file police force inadequate to deal with the riot that took place after the trial acquitting the officers in Rodney King's beating, could have been remedied if proper coordination and allocation of National Guard troops had been planned and put into effect prior to the emergency. The fact that the only National Guard troops available to come to the PD's assistance were in Northern California and were subject to the delay of logistics and assembly and then the slow deployment south via the Interstate system meant that it was a full 36 hours before help arrived to quell the riots that were happening in pockets throughout the city.

In the after math of the riots I was appointed to the President of the City Council's "Ad Hoc Public Safety Commission," one of many commissions brought into being to investigate and propose solutions to public safety issues in Los Angeles. Our main task was to determine what had broken down that permitted the riots to flare from a local violent outbreak into a riot that encompassed several commercial areas of the city. What I have described above is a brief summation of the findings of our and other commissions studying this breakdown of public safety and the rule of law.

Unfortunately, as i have stated elsewhere, those who could least afford the loses inflicted by the riots were the ones most affected. But it was also clear that L.A.'s inability to crack down on the street gangs in the city and county was a factor that contributed to the frustration of those living in communities virtually ruled by these gangs and to the gangs' ability to effectively close the second largest city in the United States and render the city's law enforcement agencies helpless to carry out their functions.

Ranger
06-18-12, 10:10 PM
Lets face it. If they didn't riot because of the police officers acquittal, they would have rioted in celebration of them being found guilty.

Kev
06-18-12, 11:37 PM
What's all this falderal?!!!

:coffee:

gdwriter
06-19-12, 01:13 AM
What I don't get is how do you have a high-speed chase driving an Hyundai Excel? I had one. "High-speed" is not in that car's vocabulary.

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 01:47 AM
What I don't get is how do you have a high-speed chase driving an Hyundai Excel? I had one. "High-speed" is not in that car's vocabulary.
:histeric:

orconn
06-19-12, 02:04 AM

He was going down a very long, fairly steep hill on the Foothill Freeway. The fact he was in an Hyundai Excell is why he was only doing 87 mph .... even a Tercel would have gotten going faster down that hill!

Kev
06-19-12, 02:04 AM
What I don't get is how do you have a high-speed chase driving an Hyundai Excel? I had one. "High-speed" is not in that car's vocabulary.It's 'news-speak'. Within the news media, the term 'high speed' may apply to any suspect in any vehicle who refuses to pull over and stop at the behest of the long line of patrol cars behind, even if speeds never rise above 35 mph. This must, however, be accompanied by police and news helicopters and at least two on-camera pit maneuver attempts. So you see, even a Yugo may qualify .....

ben.gators
06-19-12, 02:05 AM
I
Unfortunately, as i have stated elsewhere, those who could least afford the loses inflicted by the riots were the ones most affected.

He has been glorified to near martyrdom on every news program since his death was announce. Today they mentioned that he had squandered the nearly 4 million dollar settlement he had received. Imagine that!

So can I conclude that at the end the business of innocent people were burned to ashes and 4 million dollars of city budget (tax payers money) were paid to Rodney?

Kev
06-19-12, 02:08 AM
so it would seem ......

orconn
06-19-12, 02:16 AM
So can I conclude that at the end the business of innocent people were burned to ashes and 4 million dollars of city budget (tax payers money) were paid to Rodney?

Basically you got that right. Initially there was talk about some kind of aid to the business owners who got trashed or burned out, but from what I observed nothing really happened to help those folks rebuild.

When I talk about the minority businesses suffering the most, I am not talking from here-say, I knew several of the business owners who were burned out in the riots. As usual it was black on black crime, and probably youths who had nothing at stake in the community where the businesses were located. After the first day many businesses put up large signs saying "Black Owned" (whether they were or not) in the hopes that they wouldn't suffer damage or be set on fire.

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 06:51 PM
News just came out that Hosni Mubarak died today, too.

77CDV
06-19-12, 09:45 PM
Two a**holes down, one more to go for the trifecta. :)

ben.gators
06-19-12, 10:14 PM
Two a**holes down, one more to go for the trifecta. :)

Not so fast! Unfortunately the people that are replacing Hosni Mubarak will be 10 times worse than him! I can see the day that the Egyptians will envy good old days!

orconn
06-20-12, 12:13 AM
Ben, do you have some insight into the Egyptian situation?

cadillac kevin
06-20-12, 12:20 AM
News just came out that Hosni Mubarak died today, too.
apparently he's not quite dead yet

Kev
06-20-12, 12:27 AM
....... I can see the day that the Egyptians will envy good old days!You mean like in the days when they had all those great Israeli slaves to build their pyramids?

Kev
06-20-12, 12:29 AM
... if it wasn't for that darn Moses fellow ......

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 01:22 AM
apparently he's not quite dead yet
He's in some kind of 'coma' or something, but he's been pronounced clinically dead.

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 03:19 AM
Clinically dead.....might as well build the coffin and dig the grave.

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 03:37 AM
If you look on Wikipedia, it shows "Died- June 19th 2012" :lol:

ben.gators
06-20-12, 04:08 AM
Ben, do you have some insight into the Egyptian situation?

Here is my humble opinion:
When a long time dictator is removed from the power, and in the lack of democratic institutions and powerful political parties which is a direct result of the past dictatorship, the extremist parties, who are normally a minority but very well organized and united groups, can rise to power!

talismandave
06-20-12, 09:28 AM
You...are still talking about Egypt I hope...