: Disabling or Disconnecting OnStar

jimmbo
06-18-12, 02:36 AM
Who here has disconnected or disabled OnStar? I am specifically looking at disconnecting the in car mike(s) and the GPS portion. What am I looking for and where does one look? Pictures would be nice. I asked GM, they told me to buy the cars service manuals.

dkozloski
06-18-12, 03:28 AM
On an '06 STS the OnStar module is under the cover on the right hand side of the trunk. It has a couple of cables going to it and if you disconnect the wrong one you get some trouble codes.

jimmbo
06-18-12, 04:40 PM
ok. which of the two cables is the one to disconnect? bigger, smaller, more colourful, different size/shape connector? are the trouble codes temp or are they part of a permanent record kept?

dkozloski
06-18-12, 05:20 PM
The OnStar module automatically sends a message to Homeland Security when it's disconnected.

curtc
06-18-12, 05:41 PM
Hahahaha! I like that!

jimmbo
06-18-12, 06:02 PM
The OnStar module automatically sends a message to Homeland Security when it's disconnected.

After that Idiot Bush that wouldn't surprise me. However, I have no intention of ever traveling to your country, I drove to Vegas and LA 29 years ago and do not feel the need to ever go back. I might not be able to fly over it but I really don't care.

curtc
06-18-12, 06:33 PM
Why do you wish to do this anyway...you think someone is listening/tracking? Got something to hide???

KRSTS
06-18-12, 07:01 PM
To temporarily disable wrap the antenna in tin foil.

jimmbo
06-18-12, 07:05 PM
I have nothing to hide, I hate when people use that "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about", as an excuse to lay the grounds for rights erosion. Here in Canada the present government has been passing laws left, right and center, that eat away at our rights and at the same time giving the cops more and more power, including warrantless monitoring of phone, e-mail and internet surfing. I just don't trust right wing extremists like the ones ruinning Canada these days

curtc
06-18-12, 10:14 PM
Sounds just like home....

J W
06-18-12, 11:14 PM
http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/navpart2/index.html

ewill3rd
06-19-12, 09:11 AM
Depending on the tightness of your tin foil hat, disabling the functionality of the unit is simple. Most newer cars require the module connections remain in tact, however you can simply disconnect the two antenna cables. The GPS is the small blue one, the large coaxial cable is the cellular antenna.
Without the GPS antenna connection it cannot determine your location and without the cellular connection it cannot receive or transmit cellular signals.
Older cars you can just simply unplug the module but on some (like XLR and above) you cannot start the car with the module disconnected as the data bus runs through it.

dkozloski
06-19-12, 02:13 PM
After that Idiot Bush that wouldn't surprise me. However, I have no intention of ever traveling to your country, I drove to Vegas and LA 29 years ago and do not feel the need to ever go back. I might not be able to fly over it but I really don't care.

This has nothing whatever to do with Bush. Blame Nixon or Herbert Hoover if you want to blame anybody.

TSS
06-19-12, 02:35 PM
Am I getting senile? Maybe, but I seem to recall simply pulling ONSTAR fuses to disable it in my Escalade. Located in the under the hood fuse box. I did this when I was using a handheld programmer, as it was recommended in the Diablo Preditor instructions.

1BadCadSTS
06-19-12, 07:48 PM
What's it matter? Besides if you have an 05-06 it's analog based Onstar and wouldn't communicate regardless.

ddalder
06-20-12, 12:52 AM
If you really want to disconnect it the procedure is simple. Don't pull the fuse because it shares a circuit with the radio and you'll lose that also. If I recall correctly, disconnect J1 which is a white connector closest to the edge of the module. It should have 16 cavities, not all are populated. Don't unplug the others, especially J4 with four tan wires (high speed GMLAN bus). Disconnecting the module will set DTC's but won't illuminate the MIL. At least one other member has followed these directions since their module was malfunctioning and there was no desire to have it replaced.

jimmbo
06-20-12, 01:36 AM
DTC? MIL? Translation Please

ddalder
06-20-12, 02:49 AM
DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code. A code stored by the vehicle indicating a system or component fault.
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Lamp. Most people refer to this as a 'Check Engine' lamp' or in some cases, a 'Service Vehicle Soon' lamp.

jimmbo
06-20-12, 04:56 AM
So you are saying it will cause a trouble code to set but it will not light the Idiot light?
Anyway of disabling it where it won't set a code? I can see getting into arguements with the dealer over it

TSS
06-20-12, 10:02 AM
OPs car is an 08.

ewill3rd
06-20-12, 11:56 AM
The red LED will light up in the mirror if done the way I described and nothing more.

1BadCadSTS
06-20-12, 06:51 PM
Trade it in on a Honda. They don't have Onstar. No conspiracy. The Japanese just wont co-operate in order for the US spies to infiltrate their autos as they are building them all with bombs to become suicide machines.

It'll be the Mitsubishi zero fiasco all over again!!!

Sorry this thread is so stupid couldn't resist to add to it.

dkozloski
06-20-12, 08:26 PM
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they ain't after you.

jimmbo
06-20-12, 09:25 PM
Trade it in on a Honda. They don't have Onstar. No conspiracy. The Japanese just wont co-operate in order for the US spies to infiltrate their autos as they are building them all with bombs to become suicide machines.

Whats so stupid? I merely asked how to disable the onstar.

1BadCadSTS
06-20-12, 09:59 PM
Not necessarily your beginning post. The whole deactivating it because the gov is using Onstar to spy on the public is.

ddalder
06-21-12, 12:06 AM
There is really no harm in setting the codes. I suspect there would be two if anyone scanned the car. One would relate to "Loss of communication with VCIM" and the ohter would relate to an incorrect number of controllers/modules configured on the data bus.

You would require a Tech2 scan tool. I would have to try it on my own car to verify but the process would be to reconfigure the IPM (Instrument Panel Module). This is the primary location that options are either enabled or disabled (things such as OnStar, whether there are heated seats, type of headlamps, etc). Any reprogramming of the IPM also requires a brake pedal position sensor calibration. It's a simple procedure but will again require a Tech2. If it is disabled, you will need to keep the module in the car (because it maintains continuity of the high speed data bus) but J1 would need to be disconnected. Reconnecting after the option is turned off will also set codes.

You may not want to go to this type of effort and may not have the means/tools to accomplish this. Regardless of your method, I believe the answer to your question was yes, you can disable it. Some methods will set DTC's, others won't (or shouldn't).

TSS
06-21-12, 10:32 AM
The red LED will light up in the mirror if done the way I described and nothing more.

Hey Will, when I pulled the ONSTAR underhood fuse(s) in my 07 Escalade, the red light lit up as well. Is that not as effective as your disconnect procedure, or basically the same? Thanks.

EDIT: oops, I missed post #16 above, I think that post is correct, I may have lost radio power/clock power at the same time. I never cared, because it was always temporary (handheld tuner programming). After reading that post #16, I do seem to recall having to reset my clock on the dash as well.

Argent1
06-21-12, 03:07 PM

Not necessarily your beginning post. The whole deactivating it because the gov is using Onstar to spy on the public is.

Must be part of that Mega Conspiracy I heard about...........:suspense: :hide:

EChas3
06-21-12, 10:02 PM
The 'black box' is a lot more an intrusion than Onstar.

dkozloski
06-22-12, 12:40 AM
As long as you're carrying a cell phone in your pocket it makes no sense to disable your OnStar "They" will still be able to track you. OnStar is just cell phone service with a few extra bells and whistles.

jimmbo
06-22-12, 10:53 AM
As long as you're carrying a cell phone in your pocket it makes no sense to disable your OnStar "They" will still be able to track you. OnStar is just cell phone service with a few extra bells and whistles.

I am well aware of the GPS tracking of cell phones. Every week I end up attending Disiplinary meetings for people who alledged discressions seems almost aways involves GPS records of their cell phone and/or company vehicles.
I just keep my cell turned off untill I need to make a call, then shut it off when completed.

EChas3
06-22-12, 09:44 PM
GPS is only stage 1. Some phones are triangulated by cell towers even when powered off. Pull the battery and you'll still be ID'ed in any number of ways.