: Passenger side seatbelt warning - 3 lb laptop triggers it?

TriTexan
06-17-12, 11:07 PM
I put my 3lb ultralight laptop on the seat next to me every morning driving to work. About 40% of the time, the chime goes off warning me the passenger is unbuckled. Is this a defect? My last car needed about 20-25 lbs to register the "occupant" as a real person. Anything less and it turned off the airbags and disables the seatbelt warning chime. My new V seems overly/agressively sensitive - just 2-3 lbs and it's chirping away. Does anyone else notice this, and if so, is this something that can be corrected/adjusted? A 5 lb weight in the front seat shouldn't be triggering a seatbelt warning - you shouldn't be using a seatbelt on a 5lb infant - that should be a car seat in the rear...

xsione
06-22-12, 07:11 PM
I put my 3lb ultralight laptop on the seat next to me every morning driving to work. About 40% of the time, the chime goes off warning me the passenger is unbuckled. Is this a defect? My last car needed about 20-25 lbs to register the "occupant" as a real person. Anything less and it turned off the airbags and disables the seatbelt warning chime. My new V seems overly/agressively sensitive - just 2-3 lbs and it's chirping away. Does anyone else notice this, and if so, is this something that can be corrected/adjusted? A 5 lb weight in the front seat shouldn't be triggering a seatbelt warning - you shouldn't be using a seatbelt on a 5lb infant - that should be a car seat in the rear...

A cellphone will do it too, if placed exactly in the right spot. It is the interference from the various radios in electronic devices, namely wireless network cards/radios, cell radios, near field communications radios, etc. they interfere with the sensors, non-issue and no danger, it is a known issue at GM.

Rockey
06-24-12, 11:28 AM

I have to strap my laptop in when data logging. Im sure others have too.

SoonerSpeedFreak
06-24-12, 08:09 PM
My laptop does the same thing. Makes you wonder.

tedcmiller
06-24-12, 08:34 PM
I don't have a laptop, so I don't have this problem. However, I have put numerous items on the passenger seat without triggering the alarm. None of these items produces any RF so maybe xsione is correct.

Haze
06-24-12, 09:10 PM
A cellphone will do it too, if placed exactly in the right spot. It is the interference from the various radios in electronic devices, namely wireless network cards/radios, cell radios, near field communications radios, etc. they interfere with the sensors, non-issue and no danger, it is a known issue at GM.

Interesting! Thanks for the post.

DFH
08-14-15, 08:53 PM
The display on our 2005 CTS always says passenger is not belted when there is no passenger in the car. Dealer claims everything with car is normal.

tinman
08-14-15, 11:34 PM
The display on our 2005 CTS always says passenger is not belted when there is no passenger in the car. Dealer claims everything with car is normal.
You might be posting in the wrong forum if you have a gen 1 CTS.

My cell phone trips my passenger seat belt warning, too.

That_One_Guy
08-15-15, 08:50 AM
my cellphone trips it also... i just keep is buckled at all times...

V2 BRAWN
08-19-15, 03:26 PM
I have exactly the same issue. I have resorted to stuffing my iPhone in the upholstery groove between the seat and thigh bolster.

jzips
08-21-15, 10:43 AM
If there's dust on my passenger seat, it goes off. Even if there's no dust, but I look at my seat, it goes off.

nsaness
08-21-15, 04:37 PM
So the doctor says to the guy, "keep it clean, and don't look at it".

jzips
08-22-15, 01:09 AM
He also said, no more monkeys jumping on the bed.