: Passenger side seatbelt warning - 3 lb laptop triggers it?

TriTexan
06-17-12, 11:07 PM
I put my 3lb ultralight laptop on the seat next to me every morning driving to work. About 40% of the time, the chime goes off warning me the passenger is unbuckled. Is this a defect? My last car needed about 20-25 lbs to register the "occupant" as a real person. Anything less and it turned off the airbags and disables the seatbelt warning chime. My new V seems overly/agressively sensitive - just 2-3 lbs and it's chirping away. Does anyone else notice this, and if so, is this something that can be corrected/adjusted? A 5 lb weight in the front seat shouldn't be triggering a seatbelt warning - you shouldn't be using a seatbelt on a 5lb infant - that should be a car seat in the rear...

xsione
06-22-12, 07:11 PM
I put my 3lb ultralight laptop on the seat next to me every morning driving to work. About 40% of the time, the chime goes off warning me the passenger is unbuckled. Is this a defect? My last car needed about 20-25 lbs to register the "occupant" as a real person. Anything less and it turned off the airbags and disables the seatbelt warning chime. My new V seems overly/agressively sensitive - just 2-3 lbs and it's chirping away. Does anyone else notice this, and if so, is this something that can be corrected/adjusted? A 5 lb weight in the front seat shouldn't be triggering a seatbelt warning - you shouldn't be using a seatbelt on a 5lb infant - that should be a car seat in the rear...

A cellphone will do it too, if placed exactly in the right spot. It is the interference from the various radios in electronic devices, namely wireless network cards/radios, cell radios, near field communications radios, etc. they interfere with the sensors, non-issue and no danger, it is a known issue at GM.

Rockey
06-24-12, 11:28 AM

I have to strap my laptop in when data logging. Im sure others have too.

SoonerSpeedFreak
06-24-12, 08:09 PM
My laptop does the same thing. Makes you wonder.

tedcmiller
06-24-12, 08:34 PM
I don't have a laptop, so I don't have this problem. However, I have put numerous items on the passenger seat without triggering the alarm. None of these items produces any RF so maybe xsione is correct.

Haze
06-24-12, 09:10 PM
A cellphone will do it too, if placed exactly in the right spot. It is the interference from the various radios in electronic devices, namely wireless network cards/radios, cell radios, near field communications radios, etc. they interfere with the sensors, non-issue and no danger, it is a known issue at GM.

Interesting! Thanks for the post.