: Huge hail storm damage!!!

kellycaughron
06-17-12, 11:06 PM
We had a huge hail storm this week in Dallas. :bonkers: My 08 N* SF 45k took a real beating. Back glass gone. Sun Roof gone. Body looks like a war zone. Water inside was like a swimming pool. What I'm worried about is body and glass can be fixed, but water, water everywhere. As we all know computers run these cars. How in the world can water damage be accounted for ??? This is my wife's car and I don't want her in an unsafe car. Anybody had a similar experiance? Let me know. Thanks!

1BadCadSTS
06-17-12, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a total to me.

curtc
06-17-12, 11:11 PM
:yeah: you do have insurance, right?

Ludacrisvp
06-18-12, 02:02 AM
did you happen to take pics of the standing water inside the car?
It may help in getting it totalled if that is what you are hoping for...

KRSTS
06-18-12, 09:44 AM
your better off if it's totaled IF you have insurance. Car will never be right.

curtc
06-18-12, 11:46 AM
I hit a turkey in my 04 CTS, entire roof was replaced...car was never the same after that so I traded it in for the STS...

mckellyb
06-18-12, 01:08 PM
Kelly, I hate to say it, but it's likely totaled.

There are going to be many a salvage yard around here with "junk" vehicles...

(nice to see another 'Kelly' on the board)

I'm in Fort Worth, and those storms surprised me...I can only imagine what it was like with tennis-to-baseball size hail.

The largest I've seen, firsthand, and felt, for that matter, is golf ball sized, and lemme tell you, you take cover IN A HURRY.

jimmbo
06-18-12, 01:23 PM
You should be hoping it is totaled. If it isn't get rid of it the day you get it back. As said before it will never be right, and most likely start to stink once it gets hot out.
In July 1987 a Tornado hit the city where I live, after the storm accompaning it we found hail stones just slightly smaller than baseballs(got pictures) on the front lawn. I was in my car and it was hit by golf ball size stones. It took a few dents but the older cars, it was an 81 Olds 98, were built stronger than the tissue paper thin panels used now. The glass was fine but that's only because back then sunroofs were heavier and thicker, and rear glass was almost vertical and small not a huge sheet almost horizontal.

curtc
06-18-12, 01:36 PM
I saw softball sized hail first hand back in 2006...do a youtube search for "northfield mn hail 2006" completely destroyed both the local Ford and GM dealerships...

Totaled my 95 STS with ease...

kellycaughron
06-18-12, 07:46 PM
Talked to insurance guy this afternoon. He's at 10k and adding. Close total or fix. No money if left over if totaled, crappy car if fixed. This really s**ks! Well, we will see what happens. Dang I love that car. Thanks for the replies. I'll post later.

kellycaughron
06-18-12, 08:08 PM
No money left over (only had the car for a year ). P.S. I bought this car for my wife for our 10 yr anniversary.:cloud9:

eatyoursandwich
06-18-12, 08:32 PM
No money left over (only had the car for a year ). P.S. I bought this car for my wife for our 10 yr anniversary.:cloud9:

So insurance would only give you what you owe on the car? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just don't know what you mean by 'no money left over'.

Very sad to hear either way, I just barely missed that storm driving to Oklahoma City in the S8.

All the best. Hope everything works out!

mckellyb
06-19-12, 03:51 AM
So insurance would only give you what you owe on the car? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I just don't know what you mean by 'no money left over'.

No, this means the car is worth close to exactly what they owe on it, minus the insurance deductible.

It's more common than people think.

kellycaughron
06-19-12, 08:36 PM
Exactly mckellyb. It's going to be close. Wish us luck. We love this car. My wife calls it Miss Mary after her late great aunt who drove nothing but Caddy's.

kellycaughron
06-21-12, 07:59 PM
And the answer isssssssssssss It's a total. Insurance could not guarentee what would suface in the future. There is a little good news, we are gonna walk with
5k. So anybody got an 08 N* they wanna sell. Kidding. We're gonna start looking this weekend. Wish us luck.

Later,

EChas3
06-21-12, 09:17 PM
Around here, a well-equipped 2009 can be had for around $25k