: Detailing interior gloss black trim?

TTuned
06-17-12, 08:39 PM
Hi all, my gloss black plastic trim on center console has many fine scratches.
I was planning on mcquires interior detailer spray, and a microfiber cloth.

Any products or processes to shine it up or improve appearance?

larry arizona
06-17-12, 09:05 PM
meguiars interior spray works well but wont remove scratches. Not sure what will pull out scratches.

larry arizona
06-17-12, 09:08 PM
thinkn that Novus plastic polish might work well

OldRoadDawg
06-17-12, 11:08 PM
Here's a forum thread on that subject:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/195097-used-gm-vehicle-care-swirl-remover.html

I have also had success using the GM Swirl Remover polish and following up with a detailing product.
My personal preference is Fire Glaze (http://www.autopolish.com/2/12oz_Fire_Glaze_Rapid_Action_Spray_Auto_Polish.htm l). My black obsidian trim is 3 yrs old and looks as good as day 1.

blacaddy
06-18-12, 11:02 AM
TTuned>>>A suggestion to deal with your scratches....the product is Zenith Co., TIBET ALMOND STICK...Ace Hardware has it as does Duluth Trading Co. ...it is a stick you rub on the scratch....I use it on my hardwood floors and have used it on scratched plastic....inexpensive way to hide scratches.....worth a try!

M5eater
06-18-12, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't even use interior spray, I found it leaves a residue behind.

Treat the trim like a painted surface (because it is..) clean with detail spray ONLY.

MSOsr
06-18-12, 11:57 AM
I polished mine out with Meguiar's 205 polish and then had the entire black area covered with OptiGuard. Now I can actually touch it and wipe fingerprints off without it scratching!

Mike

larry arizona
06-23-12, 06:39 PM
Did some investigating and the piano black trim is actually a pre painted mold in color film. They lay a pre painted film into an injection mold for say the trim plates and then they mold the trim plate and it comes out with a painted top surface. Anyways I did an experiment with two 3m products I use for exterior paint correction. 3MPefect-it and 3MFinesse-it. Perfect-it is a swirl mark remover via machine or hand. I tried it on the center stack trim and it worked well with only 2 minutes of actual working it by hand. I did not care for the finesse-it. I followed with an exterior meguiars ultimate wax (not a wax but a polymer detailer that is decent). It worked VERY WELL. I know if I spent 15 minutes with it I can get ALL fine scratches out the the piano black trim.:thumbsup: 3MPerfect-it is like $10. Dont be afraid of that paino black trim. Very pleased with the results.

Purple87SS
06-24-12, 08:54 PM
How long did it take you to tape off the piano trim? Before/after Pics?

larry arizona
06-24-12, 09:29 PM
I didnt tape off any of the surrounding trim. I used a small amount and was careful not to get it on surrounding areas/switches. But I would understand the concern.

grasshopper
06-25-12, 12:40 PM
Sounds like any swirl correction product would do the trick. I do have Meguiar's D301 and Sonax paint cleaner that I may try.
Anybody try easy to purchase OTC product like scratch X (original or 2.o) or swirl X that other members can easily purchase at local store?

larry arizona
06-25-12, 02:41 PM
I would stick with swirl remover products made for paint instead of mold in color plastic.