: Hello from France - 1994 STS owner

garagestmarien
06-17-12, 05:58 AM
Hi,
I'm John (British) living and working in France.
I have for the last 4 months owned a Seville sts 1993 model and what a car.
It is without doubt the best car I have ever owned and the first one that actually feels like my car.
It's had a few faults and most of them have been fixed, I have some other bits to look at and these have to be done so that I can register it here.
I bought the car in Holland where I was working freelance and it promptly broke the alternator when I left to return to France.
So it had to stay in Holland till I returned.
Fitted a new alternator, made new wires for the positive and negative, fitted new serpentine belt and everything seemed fine.
So, after my contract I proceeded to try and go home to France in "Big Blue" for a 2nd time.
The day I left (Saturday) the motorway was closed for work, so I had to spend an hour in a traffic jam going through a city via the diversion. (Up to now, I had no time to test the car properly before the trip).
Got through that, no problems, then proceeded to travel and visit friends on the way. That went without a hitch.
Then the final 500miles home. At Paris there had been an accident and I ended up in a traffic jam and was stuck in one of the tunnels for another hour. Outside temp 80degrees.
Finally got through that and then realised that I had done about 400miles, been stuck twice for an hour each time in traffic and the car hadn't missed a beat at all.
Now I began to enjoy the rest of the trip. Car was fast, smooth and comfortable. I have a small issue with the brakes worn and a front right wheel bearing rumbling, but have all the parts to do this job.
The economy for the trip was far better than I expected. The economy around my area is bad, but again, what I expected.
But I am a happy owner and doubt I will drive anything else from now on.

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 06:09 AM
Welcome!

talismandave
06-17-12, 09:22 AM
:welcome5: John. Glad to hear from another Cadillac lover from over the pond. My best friend from high school has lived in Amsterdam for the last thirty year and is big in alternative films. Never got a chance to visit him yet, perhaps someday! There are some guy here from France, so you should have some company should you want to get together. Cheers!

Ranger
06-17-12, 12:05 PM
:welcome:

orconn
06-17-12, 12:46 PM
Congratulations on owning your 1993 Seville STS. My wife and I have had three different Sevilles including a '93 STS and I can say that the '93 is the "sportiest" of the 4th generation cars. Sounds as though you have a good understanding, mechanically, of these cars. You will find lots of help from Forums members on keeping you Seville in tip top condition.

Welcome to the Forums! I am looking forward to hearing about your experience of living with a Seville in France!

garagestmarien
06-18-12, 05:31 AM
Congratulations on owning your 1993 Seville STS. My wife and I have had three different Sevilles including a '93 STS and I can say that the '93 is the "sportiest" of the 4th generation cars. Sounds as though you have a good understanding, mechanically, of these cars. You will find lots of help from Forums members on keeping you Seville in tip top condition.

Welcome to the Forums! I am looking forward to hearing about your experience of living with a Seville in France!

Thank you.
I know my first experience will be fun, as I have to try and get her registered. As Cadillac do not supply a certificate of conformity for this model (and I believe for any car pre 1996) I have a fair bit of work to do and probably lots of paperwork.

Submariner409
06-18-12, 07:38 AM
Your question on oil type and viscosities has been answered up in Seville. ^^^

Welcome Aboard !!! :welcome:

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 04:36 AM
Welcome! You have a nice Cadillac on your hands!

gdwriter
06-21-12, 01:29 AM
Bonjour! C'est une voiture très jolie.

Oh, wait. You're British. It's still a beautiful car.

I found the French Autoroutes expensive (~30 euros each way from Paris on the A11 to ~40 km south of Le Mans on the A28), but the pavement was like glass. The city streets in France seemed narrow in the little Peugeot 207SW I had rented; I can only imagine how narrow they appeared in something the size of an STS.

garagestmarien
06-21-12, 05:22 AM
Bonjour! C'est une voiture très jolie.

Oh, wait. You're British. It's still a beautiful car.

I found the French Autoroutes expensive (~30 euros each way from Paris on the A11 to ~40 km south of Le Mans on the A28), but the pavement was like glass. The city streets in France seemed narrow in the little Peugeot 207SW I had rented; I can only imagine how narrow they appeared in something the size of an STS.

Yes the 'Payage' can be expensive, but as you say, you get super smooth roads, hardly any hold ups and can cruise at about 80mph, not many places you can do that legally.
In the country where I live the roads are even narrower, but after 8 years I'm getting used to it, the bonus is that you rarely see other cars.

talismandave
06-21-12, 08:39 AM
Around here we "pay" to drive on the streets too, In rattles, suspensions, tires....and we get the bonus of having to share them with people owning "disposable" cars who drive them with no regard for them!

Submariner409
06-21-12, 09:42 AM
The city streets in France seemed narrow in the little Peugeot 207SW I had rented; I can only imagine how narrow they appeared in something the size of an STS.

Gary - I lived in Naples - Napoli - for 3 years form '68 - '71. Shipped my '65 Chevelle Malibu SS 327/350 4-speed over - Driving that car in any city, not to mention little towns was, ahem, interesting. In some of the smaller streets in Naples, on the way to a favorite little restaurant in warm weather, people literally had to get up and move the dining table to allow passage...........yep - the street was their "patio". My ex-wife's uncle lived in a tiny town, Fiumara, down near the Straits of Sicily - during a visit we had to park in a field outside of town and walk in - if I had driven in there was no place to turn around and get out again. The streets were built for donkey carts in 800 AD.

BUT - 90 mph all day long on the Autostrada............. perfect highways.

garagestmarien
06-21-12, 10:04 AM
Gary - I lived in Naples - Napoli - for 3 years form '68 - '71. Shipped my '65 Chevelle Malibu SS 327/350 4-speed over - Driving that car in any city, not to mention little towns was, ahem, interesting. In some of the smaller streets in Naples, on the way to a favorite little restaurant in warm weather, people literally had to get up and move the dining table to allow passage...........yep - the street was their "patio". My ex-wife's uncle lived in a tiny town, Fiumara, down near the Straits of Sicily - during a visit we had to park in a field outside of town and walk in - if I had driven in there was no place to turn around and get out again. The streets were built for donkey carts in 800 AD.

BUT - 90 mph all day long on the Autostrada............. perfect highways.

This is the 'Main' road into my village. Yes, driving these roads is interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2ogrML-ds