: Let's hear it for lederhosen!!!

orconn
06-16-12, 06:26 PM
There are some on these Forums who deride the kilt. Despite the wearing of kilts by both male and female members of the Royal Family (that good old German clan of wannabe Celts). Despite the best efforts of Rob Roy, Braveheart, Bobby Burns and Sean Connery to promote and defend the masculinity of the kilt for masculine dress, there are still those who mock the virility of this for dress.

Now it's true that the Scots and the Irish got their arses kicked by any invader who fancied to set ashore on their territory! Be they Vikings, Frenchman (Normans in those days), Teutonic Angles or Italians in the form of Romans (who also wore skirts!) the Celts either surrendered or went under ground.

All this was probably the fault of the kilt, if they had just worn lederhosen maybe things would have been different. Lederhosen seem to work well for the Germans, especially the Bavarians!

So let's hear you opinion on lederhosen! You don't have to be German to love leather pants and the suspenders are practical and neat! So what do you think?

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 04:40 AM
I play in the Musikkapelle Leavenworth, the town band in the Bavarian replica town of Leavenworth in the North Cascades. We're a traditional brass band and we play 90% German marches, waltzes, etc. The uniform is authentic hand-crafted Bundhosen from Berchtesgaden (different from Lederhosen- leather pants down to just under the knee and long socks). It's the Bundhosen, certain long socks, leather suspenders, a certain buttoned shirt, a hat, tie, and a wool jacket with buttons made from antlers. It's about $1,500/set for men and $1,100/set for women. Serious stuff, there. :lol: Damn outfit weighs like 10 pounds and it's hotter than hell when it's warm out. I don't have a picture of the group at the moment. Might have to dig around in my photos.

This is Leavenworth:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_agYcnHfshHo/TCgLmJFoSjI/AAAAAAAAA3Q/oglYgf4iRNY/s1600/downtown_leavenworth3.jpg

talismandave
06-17-12, 08:55 AM
I don't have a picture of the group at the moment. Might have to dig around in my photos.
Translation; Give me time to photoshop me out of the photos I have!:yup:

Beautiful photo. I can see why they settled there. When they saw that place they must have felt at home.

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 09:09 AM
It was originally a mining/railroad town, and then in the 60s when the mining business was flopping and the town was failing, someone had a really good idea, and now the largest Oktoberfest celebration outside of Europe is held there.

The-Dullahan
06-17-12, 12:49 PM
Looks like some areas of PA.

While not German and the people, of direct Viking relation are my sworn enemies, I have a respect for such customs, as tradition and family heritage are important to uphold. I can relate when I see such an individual, as it is viewed similarly to wearing a kilt by most Americans (Which BTW are the funniest-dressed people in the world, especially in urban areas)

Seems Bundhosen are a tad less expensive than a kilt, but they have the obvious flaw of being bifurcated. Ironically, I have photos someplace of playing with a traditional band myself, in various locations (Though Florida does not however have a replicated Irish city, but we do have a brick-by-brick of a famous tavern)

Better yet Brandon, find some videos.

orconn
06-17-12, 01:28 PM
Those "bundhosen" are kind of like "gangsta" lederhosen! While I much more identify with the homeland of my surname, I am in actuality 25% German, and have been known to wear lederhosen in my youth!

Until they passed away, I had an aunt and uncle who had a Summer home around Wenatchee, near Leavenworth. Their Winter home was in Scottsdale and each Spring they would wend their way up to the coolness of the Wenatchee Valley. One year they had stopped in a small town in California's Central Valley for the night and were present for a major earthquake that about destroyed the town. Another trip north was impacted by the eruption of Mt St. Helens. But by and large they enjoyed their Summers in the Wenatchee Valley.

Their place was on the banks of a river and from the pictures I saw very picturesque. When my aunt would say they were on there way to Leavenworth we always thought the Feds had finally caught up with her!

vincentm
06-17-12, 08:36 PM
This is Leavenworth:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_agYcnHfshHo/TCgLmJFoSjI/AAAAAAAAA3Q/oglYgf4iRNY/s1600/downtown_leavenworth3.jpg

Been in WA for 10 yrs now, and I've yet to go there, I need to

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 03:20 AM
It's a nice place to visit for the weekend. There are PHENOMENAL restaurants there. I never thought I'd like it, but good German food is totally awesome. Andreas Keller is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at, and it's authentic German food. It's in the basement of the green building.

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 03:21 AM
Their place was on the banks of a river and from the pictures I saw very picturesque.
The Cashmere Valley (between Wenatchee [yuck] and Leavenworth) is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It's absolutely breathtaking.

The-Dullahan
06-18-12, 12:21 PM

I would, even though if it is of my enemy. It's just that awesome. I am a very small part German, though it is actually Germanic through Scandinavian origin (The Vikings being far MORE the enemy of my people) of the surname of Von Elmendorf, from my Great, Great Grandfather, Wilhelmus Von Elmendorf, which is actually a fairly legit sounding name.

Still though, with my full respect to those in Lederhosen, I could not imagine them being the most practical garment and most likely not suited for use on a battlefield, which would put them beyond what I could ever bring myself to wear (Most people, having never engaged in brutal hand-to-hand combat, probably do not understand why) but they are definitely better than these "Pants" things that the modern youth is all whipped into a craze for these days.

Also, I just felt like adding this photo.
http://enlightenmentward.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/lederhosen.jpg

Actually, at the Grand National meet Craig and I just attended, one of the cars was displayed with a fur coat, shawl, pearls, evening gloves, a purse and all the other Lady's accessories of the period, complete with luggage in the interior (Kind of creepy, since both occupants were men) but it also had a traditional alpine hat, reminiscent of Sting's signature Fedora in The Roo Wagon.

I dunno though. Again, it may be the Irish, but I will stick with Scallycaps and Top Hats.

orconn
06-18-12, 12:57 PM
^^^ Gee, Whiz! Sure looks like fun! Bet it would be alot more fun after several more steins of the local beer!

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 01:06 PM
Every Maifest, they do this log dance... There are four people, two each are holding two logs, like in the shape of a tic-tac-toe board, and women dance and jump around between the logs as the guys are slapping the logs together and pulling them apart and moving them around and such. Quickly. It's like hopscotch with the possibility of broken ankles and shins. :lol:

EcSTSatic
06-18-12, 01:14 PM
I confess, I wore them as a kid growing up in Deutschland

Maybe you've seen these already. Not sure kilts or lederhosen are contributing factors

New Terrorist Alerts by John Cleese (from Monty Python)
BBC | JohnCleese

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France’s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout loudly and excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels .

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

orconn
06-18-12, 01:46 PM
Every Maifest, they do this log dance... There are four people, two each are holding two logs, like in the shape of a tic-tac-toe board, and women dance and jump around between the logs as the guys are slapping the logs together and pulling them apart and moving them around and such. Quickly. It's like hopscotch with the possibility of broken ankles and shins. :lol:

Yeah, those Germans! If it doesn't hurt, it's no fun! Slap and smash great dances!

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-LCRLL5oZ4

The-Dullahan
06-18-12, 02:54 PM
The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate" and "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France’s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

The Scottish never quite learned the lessons the Irish have been trying to teach them for the last 2,700 years. Then again, being part Angle Mainlander, they have a mild disliking for their brethren across the way.

The French...Well, I think Homer Simpson put it best: "Ooh, look at me, I'm France! I'm a scared little girl! I don't like being bombed and attacked!"