: Whats really the point in this?

truckinman
06-16-12, 03:19 PM
Passed a guy earlier in a current gen Mercedes S 550. But he had an AMG badge on it. If it were a real AMG it woulda been an S63. Ok, now I know people do that all the time with V6 stangs and camaros by making people think it's the V8. But a Mercedes? First of all a 550 is plenty fast, no need to feel like you need the AMG to intimidate other drivers. And secondly it's a brand new S-Class. No need to feel embarrassed bc you're ashamed you bought a cheap car so you try and make people think it's more expensive then it really was by putting an AMG badge on it Lol. idk. I just think it's dumb when people try and lie about what their car really is

orconn
06-16-12, 04:26 PM
Passed a guy earlier in a current gen Mercedes S 550. But he had an AMG badge on it. If it were a real AMG it woulda been an S63. Ok, now I know people do that all the time with V6 stangs and camaros by making people think it's the V8. But a Mercedes? First of all a 550 is plenty fast, no need to feel like you need the AMG to intimidate other drivers. And secondly it's a brand new S-Class. No need to feel embarrassed bc you're ashamed you bought a cheap car so you try and make people think it's more expensive then it really was by putting an AMG badge on it Lol. idk. I just think it's dumb when people try and lie about what their car really is

Life is really all about the leagues in which you play! If you fancy yourself a "Mustang" league player, then striving toward the upper echelon of that league for $10 worth of insignia might seem worthwhile to you.

If you are trying for prestige among those who own new Mercedes S class cars, maybe $100 of insignia might make you feel better.

When you are playing these games, it's all about the leagues!

truckinman
06-16-12, 06:32 PM
Good point. I just figure hell, an S550. How much richer to you have to feel? Lol. The 550is already what, 100k?

orconn
06-16-12, 06:48 PM
Good point. I just figure hell, an S550. How much richer to you have to feel? Lol. The 550is already what, 100k?

As a denizen of Rodeo Drive once said "You can never be too rich or too thin!" No matter where you fit in in this world there is always someone who has something you don't ... and something you want!

truckinman
06-16-12, 06:51 PM
Yea true. Always something bigger and better out there

Lord Cadillac
06-16-12, 07:05 PM
Wait a minute. I see this a lot, actually. I believe there's an S550 AMG kit that you can buy from the factory. So it's an S550 AMG but the AMG only represents wheels, trim, suspension, etcetera. That's what I THINK. I see too many on the road for them all to be people who just want to look like they're driving a fast S-Class. If that were the case, some of them would probably remove the S550 badge and replace it with S63 or S65...

OffThaHorseCEO
06-16-12, 07:16 PM
Wait a minute. I see this a lot, actually. I believe there's an S550 AMG kit that you can buy from the factory. So it's an S550 AMG but the AMG only represents wheels, trim, suspension, etcetera. That's what I THINK. I see too many on the road for them all to be people who just want to look like they're driving a fast S-Class. If that were the case, some of them would probably remove the S550 badge and replace it with S63 or S65...

yea theres an appearance package

orconn
06-16-12, 07:31 PM
Does that really make any difference? Fake or factory fake? Factory fake when it comes to Mercedes just means you paid more for your fake that's all!

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 07:46 PM
The AMG appearance kits do not come with an AMG badge.

Jesda
06-16-12, 09:21 PM
It could be a Kio Rio with monoblock wheels for all I care as long as it has Distronic Plus.

Lord Cadillac
06-16-12, 09:22 PM
Does that really make any difference? Fake or factory fake? Factory fake when it comes to Mercedes just means you paid more for your fake that's all!

It's not fake. It's just an appearance package. Whether the AMG indicates high performance AMG drivetrain parts or AMG appearance parts really makes no difference. If the badge is S550 AMG - it's not a fast AMG. If the badge is S63 or S65 AMG, it is.

orconn
06-16-12, 09:52 PM
I would think it would make a difference to those who cared in the first place. Since it is highly unlikely that anyone owning either model Mercedes will be using their car's real potential on anything even close to a regular basis. Thus it is really about cosmetics anyway and the ability to brag about "mine being faster"

Some would say the S550 they got a cheap AMG, others would say "well, it's not an AMG." If you are going to play the game, then the two cars and the two owenrs are not in the same "league."

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 10:02 PM
The AMG appearance kit is no different than buying a nicer set of wheels or a body kit for your own car from anywhere. It's not really "posing" per se if that's what you are getting at. Moreover, many of the AMG appearance packages actually feature different wheels and trim than the "genuine" AMG engined cars.

M5eater
06-16-12, 10:10 PM
It's not fake. It's just an appearance package. Whether the AMG indicates high performance AMG drivetrain parts or AMG appearance parts really makes no difference. If the badge is S550 AMG - it's not a fast AMG. If the badge is S63 or S65 AMG, it is.
BMW's been playing the 'M sport' game for a few years, and Lexus has finally started banking on the 'F sport' marque as well.

Christ, Audi's been doing this since 2004 with the S-line A4's/A6's, and toyota does this with the Corolla 'S' (again, just an appearance package. NO power train/suspension modifications at all)

Nothing new here to be shocked at, move along people.

orconn
06-16-12, 10:14 PM
And so we are back to where we started, "What's really the point in this?"

M5eater
06-16-12, 10:16 PM
And so we are back to where we started, "What's really the point in this?"
It say's 'hey, I drive a less expensive Mercedes/corolla/A4/ an freaking RX Lexus.., but I like car's so I bought the apperance package'

Playdrv4me
06-16-12, 11:48 PM
I don't understand the question. What's the point of having a luxury car at all? What's the point of even caring what the sheetmetal looks like to begin with? We can just keep going down the same road.

The AMG appearance package upgrades are tasteful additions that give the car a bespoke appearance when compared with the sea of other Mercs out there. Same goes for the M Sport appearance packages. That last 740iL I had was equipped with an M Sport package with wheels that were FAR better than the stock basketweaves. I don't think sportier wheels have anything to do with what's under the hood.

Now as to your ORIGINAL question of putting AMG EMBLEMS on a non AMG car, or ///M emblems on a non M car... There is NO point in doing that other than inflate your own ego. You can't just generally apply that to EVERY appearance change though.

talismandave
06-16-12, 11:51 PM
At first I was right along with the poser haters, but really I sort of get it now. I have always loved the AMG pkg's going way back, but don't give a hoot about "performance" at that level. I liked the look! I could totally see buying just the appearance pkg. If I did spend the money for the car and the pkg, I would put the badge on too. I'd have blown enough money, I deserve to!

truckinman
06-17-12, 04:13 AM
I can see all your points. I didn't know you could buy just the AMG appearance tho either. It did have the AMG wheels and even very large looking vents on the front fenders behind the wheel wells. I knew with BMW, you could buy just an M sport package. But didn't realize that about AMG. I still personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I just see it as stuffing socks down your pants to make people THINK you've gotta bigger package than you really do. That's where the question "what's the point in this" comes from. Driving around in the "true" car that it is, would be you being secure with what you're driving or who you are. I drive my 3.6 STS and don't feel the need to put the N* emblem on the trunk, bc im ok with what I drive. But again, that's just me

Playdrv4me
06-17-12, 07:06 AM
I can see all your points. I didn't know you could buy just the AMG appearance tho either. It did have the AMG wheels and even very large looking vents on the front fenders behind the wheel wells. I knew with BMW, you could buy just an M sport package. But didn't realize that about AMG. I still personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I just see it as stuffing socks down your pants to make people THINK you've gotta bigger package than you really do. That's where the question "what's the point in this" comes from. Driving around in the "true" car that it is, would be you being secure with what you're driving or who you are. I drive my 3.6 STS and don't feel the need to put the N* emblem on the trunk, bc im ok with what I drive. But again, that's just me

Sure, but the wheels, sideskirts and such are NOT equal to sticking a N* emblem on a car that isn't Northstar. Any less than putting those things on your 3.6 wouldn't be a problem at all. In other words, you aren't trying to pull one over on the public because you put different wheels, aprons and such on a car. Putting a N* badge on a car that isn't is a lame attempt to make people think you have something that you don't.

What you're talking about is more akin to the old rampant '90s habit of putting "S600" or "SL600" badges on the 6 and 8 cylinder cars. That's just outright stupidity. You're actually better off just removing the engine badge altogether and letting people figure it out on their own.

And actually, I think in YOUR original post, the badge itself was what you took issue with more than the appearance kit anyway, so I think we're on the same page.

talismandave
06-17-12, 10:08 AM
The guy putting the sock in his pants would take the S 550 badges off and replace them too. That would be the poser. He is also getting away with it and we aren't talking about him because he did! The guy you saw was representing his to be exactly what it was, an S 550 with the AMG pkg.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-17-12, 10:35 AM
I did put HEMI emblems on my wife's Pacifica before we got the Escalade. It didn't make it any faster but it did make me feel less douchey driving it. I caught eveyone in another one staring at the emblems. I'm sure I sent a few people to the dealer insisting they saw it & demand one. I told the people that bought it that it was a V6, not a HEMI, 3 times, but they just kept sayin', "I like the HEMI".

OH, and RT on the grill, too. Looked tough.

brandondeleo
06-17-12, 11:29 AM
Pacifica R/T... WHY DID THEY NOT MAKE IT?? :lol:

Florian
06-18-12, 12:11 AM
Christ, Audi's been doing this since 2004 with the S-line A4's/A6's

Audi S's have been around a lot longer than that.

F

thebigjimsho
06-18-12, 12:21 AM
Audi S's have been around a lot longer than that.

F

No F, he's talking about the "S-line" which is an S appearance package for standard Audis.

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 04:28 AM
I can see where someone's coming from if they want the appearance package without the whole shabang.

thebigjimsho
06-18-12, 10:47 AM
Posers.

Stingroo
06-18-12, 10:51 AM
wait, wut?

Lord Cadillac
06-18-12, 02:07 PM
I drive my 3.6 STS and don't feel the need to put the N* emblem on the trunk, bc im ok with what I drive. But again, that's just me

If that Northstar badge came with an appearance package that you liked you might.

brandondeleo
06-18-12, 02:12 PM
What if you really like the look of the Jag XJR front end, wheels, and trimmings but you don't really want the motor or true XJR added price?

I love the center console and trim difference in the Concours vs the base Deville, but I prefer the base engine, personally.

orconn
06-18-12, 02:31 PM
Personally I see no difference between "jazzing" up your Toyota Tercel with "performance" appearance packages and doing the same thing with your Mercedes or BMW, whether the package is supplied (another profit center identified and fulfilled obvious there is demand) by the OEM manufacturer or J.C. Whitney or KooKenHoff Engineering. It is all just lipstick on a pig!

I say do whatever you want to your car, and if the owner of the "real thing" or the wannabe onlookers want to look down their noses .... or even loudly berate you for your initiatives so be it!

M5eater
06-18-12, 02:36 PM
If that Northstar badge came with an appearance package that you liked you might.

Cadillac CTS Touring edition. All the V fun-parts with a darker grille, different rims and bucket seats and none of the go-fast parts. Yes, even Caddy partakes.

orconn
06-18-12, 02:40 PM
Cadillac CTS Touring edition. All the V fun-parts with a darker grille, different rims and bucket seats and none of the go-fast parts. Yes, even Caddy partakes.

Obviously a profit center for manufacturers and dealers or they wouldn't offer it!

Lord Cadillac
06-19-12, 12:51 PM
Obviously a profit center for manufacturers and dealers or they wouldn't offer it!

You pay a price to make things look better. Makeup isn't free either.

orconn
06-19-12, 01:00 PM
So you consider that outfitting a car with frosting that indicates that the cars performance is of a higher caliber, is OK for cosmetic reasons. To me it smacks of wearing a general's star when in fact you are only a colonel. But, hey, whatever floats your boat ... at least it's not a crime!

Lord Cadillac
06-19-12, 01:15 PM
So you consider that outfitting a car with frosting that indicates that the cars performance is of a higher caliber, is OK for cosmetic reasons. To me it smacks of wearing a general's star when in fact you are only a colonel. But, hey, whatever floats your boat ... at least it's not a crime!

I really think it depends. I think "SS" means something different than "AMG". I know what an S550 AMG is. Maybe some people don't - but that's THEIR problem. An S63 AMG is fast. An S65 AMG is faster. An S550 AMG is just an S550 with a cosmetic package. Removing the S550 but leaving the AMG would be more deceitful...

Kev
06-19-12, 01:17 PM
What's all this falderal?!!!

:coffee:

RippyPartsDept
06-19-12, 01:51 PM
wait a minute!

what if they guy really had an AMG S65 and debadged it and put the S550 badge on?

so lets turn the tables now...

what is everyone's opinions on making people think that a car is slower than it really is?

drewsdeville
06-19-12, 01:58 PM
Everyone's opinion would be the same - it's still deceitful, it still accomplishes nothing. The goal is different, but the goal doesn't change the bottom line. A lie is a lie.

orconn
06-19-12, 02:01 PM
I guess it all depends, if he were just trying to be clandestine, or if his motives were to take advantage by wagering S550 owners when wagering at stop lights!

RippyPartsDept
06-19-12, 02:18 PM
people still do that?

i mean wagering ... not racing

dkozloski
06-19-12, 02:19 PM
The phonetic German pronounciation of AMG is I am ghey. That explains it all.

orconn
06-19-12, 02:29 PM
Damn, I'm glad we have Koz around to bring us a different slant on things!

gary88
06-19-12, 02:37 PM
The phonetic German pronounciation of AMG is I am ghey. That explains it all.

*ah em ghay, close enough :squid:

truckinman
06-19-12, 03:58 PM
To each their own. Obviously I'm not one that would do it. I COULD go out and buy all the STS V parts, such as wheels, grill, spoiler, and hood, but I just don't want to. Not saying I don't want an STS V, bc I sure as hell do, but I don't want a v6 clone. I'm the kinda guy who believes, you should be able to walk the walk b4 you can talk the talk. Not the other way around.

And I did meet a guy once who took his SS badges off his Camaro. Lol. Wanted people to think it was a V6. It worked. Well until you heard that LS-1 roar to life.

Lord Cadillac
06-19-12, 04:14 PM
Everyone's opinion would be the same - it's still deceitful, it still accomplishes nothing. The goal is different, but the goal doesn't change the bottom line. A lie is a lie.

It's not a lie. The AMG badge by itself doesn't mean "high performance". An AMG badge along with S63, E63, C63, etcetera - does.

SS stands for Super Sport. AMG stands for Aufrecht (from Werner Aufrecht) Melcher (from Erhard Melcher) and Grossaspach (the town in which AMG was founded). AMG tunes and modifies cars. An AMG badge without the engine designation only signifies cosmetic modifications. It's not a lie.

</thread>

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 04:22 PM
An AMG badge without the engine designation only signifies cosmetic modifications. It's not a lie.

</thread>

:yeah:

orconn
06-19-12, 04:22 PM
Me thinks you livin' in dream land, Lord Cadillac!

Playdrv4me
06-19-12, 04:25 PM
Don't forget also that a lot of appearance packages also include handling improvements as part of the entire "sport" package, as if to muddy the waters even further.

DINAN is a great example of this whole topic on the BMW side. DINAN's parts are supposedly custom matched to a given BMW, and have the added benefit of maintaining the BMW warranty. Anyway, that's a fancy way of saying they're also expensive.

In order to get an "official" DINAN badge, you have to rack up a certain number of "points" purchasing DINAN parts. The engine tune and transmission chip for example, would not qualify. So is adding a DINAN badge you obtained from an outside source a lie just because you didn't "earn" it? I don't think so. That car has legitimate DINAN parts in it. Put a DINAN badge on a garden variety BMW and that's a lie.

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 04:30 PM
If I added all of the Limited bits to my interior and slapped a Limited badge on my deck lid, it could be argued as perfectly valid.

If I slapped a Limited badge on my deck lid without any Limited-specific features, it'd be a bold faced lie.

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 04:40 PM
wait a minute!

what if they guy really had an AMG S65 and debadged it and put the S550 badge on?

what is everyone's opinions on making people think that a car is slower than it really is?

I put an Audi 5000 grille on my Chevy Citation once. It fit perfectly.

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 04:42 PM
Where's Jimmeh. He'll rip off his Brembo brakes for the sleeper effect.

:tard:

RippyPartsDept
06-19-12, 05:21 PM
What's really the point in this?

gary88
06-19-12, 05:26 PM
What's really the point in this?

Something something "leagues", something something proletariat.

concorso
06-19-12, 05:36 PM
Me thinks you livin' in dream land, Lord Cadillac!IF living in dreamland means that you think Lord Cadillac is 100% accurate, then you are correct. Anyone attuned to brand model details should be able to deciper this extremely difficult puzzle...

concorso
06-19-12, 05:43 PM
Don't forget also that a lot of appearance packages also include handling improvements as part of the entire "sport" package, as if to muddy the waters even further.

DINAN is a great example of this whole topic on the BMW side. DINAN's parts are supposedly custom matched to a given BMW, and have the added benefit of maintaining the BMW warranty. Anyway, that's a fancy way of saying they're also expensive.

In order to get an "official" DINAN badge, you have to rack up a certain number of "points" purchasing DINAN parts. The engine tune and transmission chip for example, would not qualify. So is adding a DINAN badge you obtained from an outside source a lie just because you didn't "earn" it? I don't think so. That car has legitimate DINAN parts in it. Put a DINAN badge on a garden variety BMW and that's a lie.I dont see how its difficult to understand for some people. AMG badges represent 2 different levels of Mercedes. The other badge next to the AMG clearly indicates if the car has the big engine or not. I agree with you, the badge must represent whats in the car. S550 AMG means S550 with performance and appearance bits sans engine. S63 AMG means the big engine with other performance and appearance bits. M-Sport is a sportier BMW without the M engine, without the Sxx.

concorso
06-19-12, 05:44 PM
So you consider that outfitting a car with frosting that indicates that the cars performance is of a higher caliber, is OK for cosmetic reasons. To me it smacks of wearing a general's star when in fact you are only a colonel. But, hey, whatever floats your boat ... at least it's not a crime!Is a General a more physically capable man because he has the star?

concorso
06-19-12, 05:47 PM
Everyone's opinion would be the same - it's still deceitful, it still accomplishes nothing. The goal is different, but the goal doesn't change the bottom line. A lie is a lie.It accomplishs alot actually. It cleans up the look of the vehicle dramatically.

orconn
06-19-12, 05:47 PM
He is a more powerful man because he has the star!

drewsdeville
06-19-12, 06:11 PM
It's not a lie. The AMG badge by itself doesn't mean "high performance". An AMG badge along with S63, E63, C63, etcetera - does.

I wasn't referencing any specific badges, rather his generalized question:

It's a lie. If you do this (assuming it's intentional), you're making it out to be something it's not. It's false. Not representative.

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 06:14 PM
It's a lie. If you do this (assuming it's intentional), you're making it out to be something it's not. It's false. Not representative.
:yeah: Lying to the left is lying to the right.

RippyPartsDept
06-19-12, 06:24 PM

there's more of a grey area to de-badging than to false badging

just because you intentionally de-badge your vehicle does not mean that you are trying to misrepresent the vehicle

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 06:30 PM

just because you intentionally de-badge your vehicle does not mean that you are trying to misrepresent the vehicle
I believe the comment was "what is everyone's opinions on making people think that a car is slower than it really is?"

This doesn't imply de-badging. This implies more of a sleeper attempt, like Kevin buying HT4100 badges for his 350 equipped Brougham. That would be representing your car as slower than it truly is to trick people. De-badging is just a style thing. (Which can apply to any kind of badge-editing.)

Side note: When I had my '99 DeVille, I bought the new-style Northstar emblem and took off the old school 32V Northstar badge simply because it looked better. It didn't misrepresent.

Kev
06-19-12, 06:33 PM
I love a good "sleeper". Better an inconspicuous model with stock rims and tires. Like my buddy's little 63 Chevy II with a built 350 stuffed into the engine compartment, or the VW Bug with a 454 in the back seat.
Fun stuff!

brandondeleo
06-19-12, 06:40 PM
I love a good "sleeper". Better an inconspicuous model with stock rims and tires. Like my buddy's little 63 Chevy II with a built 350 stuffed into the engine compartment, or the VW Bug with a 454 in the back seat.
Fun stuff!
I LOVED scaring the hell out of stupid little ricers with my DeVille. That thing hauled. Wiped the crap out of lots of people. They think "harmless granny car," then I'm in front of them. :lol:

drewsdeville
06-19-12, 06:52 PM

I would agree, but I didn't respond to a question on debadging. See below...

I believe the comment was "what is everyone's opinions on making people think that a car is slower than it really is?"

This doesn't imply de-badging.

Lord Cadillac
06-19-12, 07:01 PM
This discussion is really still going on? :p

talismandave
06-19-12, 07:53 PM
*ah em ghay, close enough :squid:
That's perfectly fine Gary, although this might not be the appropriate place to come out, you will find we are all accepting and open minded.:thumbsup:
Your spelling however is another matter.
(I'm also a little unsure of how one is "close enough" to being Gay but that's ok too.):confused:

thebigjimsho
06-19-12, 07:55 PM
Bring back rep points and the discussion would be better...

Jesda
06-19-12, 09:36 PM
My car is covered in factory turbo badges but it'll only do 0-60 in something like 8 seconds. "Turbo" suggests that it's fast, which it isn't, so despite telling the truth it's still a lie.

WHO WANTS CAKE!
:happyhappy: :bdmuffin:

cadillac kevin
06-19-12, 09:50 PM
My car is covered in factory turbo badges but it'll only do 0-60 in something like 8 seconds. "Turbo" suggests that it's fast, which it isn't, so despite telling the truth it's still a lie.

WHO WANTS CAKE!

I WANT CAKE!!!!
Also, 0-60 in 8 seconds was quick for the early 90s (considering the average family sedan with a 4 banger did 0-60 in 11 seconds or so.

Destroyer
06-19-12, 10:09 PM
At first I was right along with the poser haters, but really I sort of get it now. I have always loved the AMG pkg's going way back, but don't give a hoot about "performance" at that level. I liked the look! I could totally see buying just the appearance pkg. If I did spend the money for the car and the pkg, I would put the badge on too. I'd have blown enough money, I deserve to! The AMG looks better and that is reason enough to buy the appearance package. As I get older I am getting less into the "go fast" mentality but still want to look good. I have pondered making my '67 Cutlass into a "442". It would be simple enough, change 3 badges, front grill and a louvered hood. I think the 442 looked better but it's also like 3x more valuable so I just might. :)

talismandave
06-19-12, 10:33 PM
That kind of thing I would do in a minute. Not that I give a squat what anyone thinks it is but because I like the look better. I got enough craziness in my own head aint got time to sweat theirs.:thumbsup:

drewsdeville
06-19-12, 10:49 PM
The AMG looks better and that is reason enough to buy the appearance package. As I get older I am getting less into the "go fast" mentality but still want to look good. I have pondered making my '67 Cutlass into a "442". It would be simple enough, change 3 badges, front grill and a louvered hood. I think the 442 looked better but it's also like 3x more valuable so I just might. :)

3X as much for a clone 442? Na...maybe if it was a geniune W30. Even a clone W30 would take a lot more work than a hood, badges, and grill...

truckinman
06-20-12, 12:46 AM
I LOVED scaring the hell out of stupid little ricers with my DeVille. That thing hauled. Wiped the crap out of lots of people. They think "harmless granny car," then I'm in front of them. :lol:

That's what I really liked about my Lexus GS400. It may have been boring but it was quick as hell light to light. Plus mine was a sleeper bc it didnt have a spoiler or the 5 spoke 18 inch chrome wheels. It looked just like a V6 model.

Stingroo
06-20-12, 02:02 AM
3X as much for a clone 442? Na...maybe if it was a geniune W30. Even a clone W30 would take a lot more work than a hood, badges, and grill...

I believe he meant that a real 442 was worth thrice the amount of his lesser Cutlass.

CadillacLuke24
06-20-12, 02:55 AM
Debadging is a trend, and usually is to make something look better (M on the regular BMW) or hide a performance advantage :sneaky: (remove the SS from a Camaro)

Speaking of which, I think the latter would be entertaining as all hell. For example, swap an LS1 intoa Miata, and spray paint it hot pink. You'll get all kinds of flak from your buddies until those 8 cylinders start their song :lol:

Better yet, go find a beater Silverado from the 80s (like Kevin's engine donor, sans rust) and drop in a tuned and supercharged LSX. Put some modest mufflers on it, and go ricer huntin' :sneaky:

Or, better yet, my dream, get a mid 80s FWB, clean it up real nice, and factory restore it appearance wise. Then drop in an LSA, soup the suspension, and stick on some HT4100 badges!

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:59 AM
I like the miata idea. Only I'd zebra stripe it..

Glenn Delwood
06-20-12, 03:12 AM
Since this is a low key discussion (I might even add "no key" discussion) I'll throw this in here: would you go for a used AMG in a Mercedes rather than non AMG, or for that matter M in a BMW to get better quality? They are a lot more expensive but in high mileage which one would hold better?

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 03:14 AM
since this is a low key discussion (i might even add "no key" discussion) i'll throw this in here: Would you go for a used amg in a mercedes rather than non amg, or for that matter m in a bmw to get better quality? They are a lot more expensive but in high mileage which one would hold better?
xjr.

Glenn Delwood
06-20-12, 04:09 AM
xjr.

?...

RippyPartsDept
06-20-12, 09:58 AM

This doesn't imply de-badging. This implies more of a sleeper attempt, like Kevin buying HT4100 badges for his 350 equipped Brougham. That would be representing your car as slower than it truly is to trick people. De-badging is just a style thing. (Which can apply to any kind of badge-editing.)

Side note: When I had my '99 DeVille, I bought the new-style Northstar emblem and took off the old school 32V Northstar badge simply because it looked better. It didn't misrepresent.

I would agree, but I didn't respond to a question on debadging. See below...

Ok, you got me ... ;-)

concorso
06-20-12, 10:19 AM
He is a more powerful man because he has the star! In a boardroom, sure. In a gym, not so much. The AMG badge represents both an image and a performance level. S550 AMG handles better then S550, but not as fast as S63. S63 AMG is the wholeshebang. To me, its the ability of the viewer thats suspect if one cant figure out the difference between an S550 AMG and a S63 AMG. When someone says they have either, I know exactly what they mean. Whether its fake or real, it doesnt change the cars ability to cruise at 65mph. It does look much better, tho. Thats the key for me.

EcSTSatic
06-20-12, 11:18 AM

Even then, authenticity comes down to the VIN. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's still not a duck if the numbers aren't right. All you've done is commit fraud if you claim it to be a real 442. My $.02 on the matter.

PS: not pointing at you, just adding to what you said.

ShapeShifter
06-20-12, 12:27 PM
These discussions made me think of these two cases:

Lots of early COPO Camaro's were produced with less than flashy exteriors like basic Chevy wheels w/bowtie moon type center caps. These cars looked Plain-Jane to the average driver, but being backdoored through Chevrolet, most had Corvette Big Blocks and other Performance Drive Train Components.

Would you consider these cars a lie, fake or fraud? I see them as Special Niche cars for super serious Performance Junkies.

It's a pretty common practice for Non-V owners to swap their OEM Grilles, Bumpers and Exhausts to those from V's.

Should these vehicles be viewed as posers, fakes or frauds? My take is the owners like the look of these changes and are simply customizing to reflect their individual preference, style or taste. Now putting a V Badge on a non-V is tasteless fraudulent act, IMO.

drewsdeville
06-20-12, 12:42 PM
It's a pretty common practice for Non-V owners to swap their OEM Grilles, Bumpers and Exhausts to those from V's.

Should these vehicles be viewed as posers, fakes or frauds? My take is the owners like the look of these changes and are simply customizing to reflect their individual preference, style or taste. Now putting a V Badge on a non-V is tasteless fraudulent act, IMO.

If a V reflects your individual preference, style, or taste, buy a V. Someone who wants a V but settles for a regular CTS is lying to themselves and to everyone else when they dress it up to look like a V. It's fraudulent. Most see a definitive line between customizing and cloning/copying another ("better", since the desire to clone says they've settled for less) model.

Moral of the story - people should buy exactly what they want, and enjoy it for what it is rather than dressing it up to be something they wish it was.

RippyPartsDept
06-20-12, 12:49 PM
i want a ferrari

orconn
06-20-12, 12:56 PM
I want a Ferrari that has been debadged so the cognoscenti will think it is a fiberglass copy!

drewsdeville
06-20-12, 12:59 PM
Most people want a Ferrari, but only a few want one enough and are willing to educate themselves, work more, save more, or otherwise do what it takes to obtain one. The rest either have other priorities and move on, or prioritize it but won't sacrifice for it and settle for buying a Fiero, putting a fiberglass kit on it, then selling it for thousands less than they have in it 3 years later because it bores them. distancing themselves even further from what they want.

Lord Cadillac
06-20-12, 01:03 PM
That's what I really liked about my Lexus GS400. It may have been boring but it was quick as hell light to light. Plus mine was a sleeper bc it didnt have a spoiler or the 5 spoke 18 inch chrome wheels. It looked just like a V6 model.

That GS400 did 0-60 in 5.9 seconds back in 1998! Impressive. I had no idea back then. I had a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe that did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and I thought THAT was quick. I'm glad I never lined up with a Lexus GS400.

truckinman
06-20-12, 01:05 PM
These discussions made me think of these two cases:

Lots of early COPO Camaro's were produced with less than flashy exteriors like basic Chevy wheels w/bowtie moon type center caps. These cars looked Plain-Jane to the average driver, but being backdoored through Chevrolet, most had Corvette Big Blocks and other Performance Drive Train Components.

Would you consider these cars a lie, fake or fraud? I see them as Special Niche cars for super serious Performance Junkies.

In MY opinion yes. Those are fake Vs. I won't say that about the s 550 AMG anymore tho bc I didn't realize you could but just the appearance package to be factory installed on your 550. But yes, a Non V that someone dressed up as a V is just as fake as a CTS, non V, with porsche emblems. Just bc you go out and put Porsche emblems on ur caddy, does that make it a Porsche? Of course not. Just like when i had my 06 jeep wrangler Rubicon. Rubicon to the wrangler was like the V is to caddy in the sense people would put the rubicon stickers on the hood when it was really just a sport. But everything on a true rubi that made it a rubi, was intended to make it the best "off the show room floor" off roader you can buy. So a sport with a rubi sticker was just that. A sport with a rubi sticker. In other words not a real rubi.

BUT in all reality I don't believe this horse could be beaten any more to death then it has been already. It's obvious everyone has their own opinion on the matter, and no matter what anybody says, those won't change.

truckinman
06-20-12, 01:08 PM
That GS400 did 0-60 in 5.9 seconds back in 1998! Impressive. I had no idea back then. I had a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe that did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and I thought THAT was quick. I'm glad I never lined up with a Lexus GS400.

Yea sir it was quick. Did a 14.3 quarter too if I remember correctly. Also if I remember right, it was considered one of the worlds quickest 4 doors in 98. I think I read that in an old car n driver.

truckinman
06-20-12, 01:25 PM
In MY opinion yes. Those are fake Vs. I won't say that about the s 550 AMG anymore tho bc I didn't realize you could but just the appearance package to be factory installed on your 550. But yes, a Non V that someone dressed up as a V is just as fake as a CTS, non V, with porsche emblems. Just bc you go out and put Porsche emblems on ur caddy, does that make it a Porsche? Of course not. Just like when i had my 06 jeep wrangler Rubicon. Rubicon to the wrangler was like the V is to caddy in the sense people would put the rubicon stickers on the hood when it was really just a sport. But everything on a true rubi that made it a rubi, was intended to make it the best "off the show room floor" off roader you can buy. So a sport with a rubi sticker was just that. A sport with a rubi sticker. In other words not a real rubi.

BUT in all reality I don't believe this horse could be beaten any more to death then it has been already. It's obvious everyone has their own opinion on the matter, and no matter what anybody says, those won't change.

Let me reiterate a little on this. I'm not saying you're dumb for making you caddy look like a V, but that does not make it a real V. And if it's not one, it's got to be the other. If it's not real it's fake. If, there were only like a 5 hp gain in the V, then maybe that is all I'd have to do, bc really the looks would be all that makes it a "V". Bit there is a 250 hp difference. That means to make it a real V, you'd have to put better brakes, a better suspension, I'm guessing the V has stouter axle shafts/CV joints, and then theirs the 250 hp increase. If you did all of that, then I'd consider it a real V. Bc it's easy to make any car LOOK like anything you want. But it's the mechanics of that car that are MUCH harder to change out

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 01:34 PM
Let me reiterate a little on this. I'm not saying you're dumb for making you caddy look like a V, but that does not make it a real V. And if it's not one, it's got to be the other. If it's not real it's fake. If, there were only like a 5 hp gain in the V, then maybe that is all I'd have to do, bc really the looks would be all that makes it a "V". Bit there is a 250 hp difference. That means to make it a real V, you'd have to put better brakes, a better suspension, I'm guessing the V has stouter axle shafts/CV joints, and then theirs the 250 hp increase. If you did all of that, then I'd consider it a real V. Bc it's easy to make any car LOOK like anything you want. But it's the mechanics of that car that are MUCH harder to change out
Need 5hp?

DECALS

truckinman
06-20-12, 01:41 PM

Hm. I smell a contradiction in this paragraph. You're first sentence and ur last. You imply these vehicles are the real deal. Yet, you say putting a V badge on a non v is distasteful. So it's NOT a real V then? Is that what you're saying? Bc if you truly thought of it as a real V, I don't see why you'd have any issues with putting on the badge unless your last sentence is an admission to it not being real. Just saying

brandondeleo
06-20-12, 01:48 PM
Hm. I smell a contradiction in this paragraph. You're first sentence and ur last. You imply these vehicles are the real deal. Yet, you say putting a V badge on a non v is distasteful. So it's NOT a real V then? Is that what you're saying? Bc if you truly thought of it as a real V, I don't see why you'd have any issues with putting on the badge unless your last sentence is an admission to it not being real. Just saying
Vception

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/384/349226-inception_dvd.jpg

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:01 PM
Need 5hp?

DECALS

I've heard flow master stickers are worth 7 hp. And the monster sticker? Well hell, those are good for 80 hp. That's why everyone has them.

Lord Cadillac
06-20-12, 02:07 PM
Yea sir it was quick. Did a 14.3 quarter too if I remember correctly. Also if I remember right, it was considered one of the worlds quickest 4 doors in 98. I think I read that in an old car n driver.

I think it may have even been faster than the BMW M5 at the time... If so, that's pretty impressive for a "Toyota" family sedan...

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:16 PM
Yea. I liked it a lot. I mean, in the curves it was very dull, but on the straights, it moved. I surprised a lot of cars with it. Lol. Including Camaro irocs and some mustang GTs. It wasn't as fast as the 99 and up GT but the 98 and older couldn't keep up. I had it up to about 140 once. I think it was governed at 149.

truckinman
06-20-12, 02:32 PM
I think it may have even been faster than the BMW M5 at the time... If so, that's pretty impressive for a "Toyota" family sedan...

Hell I even put dual flow master mufflers in it. Lol. Sounded good. It was funny, bc it made people look twice driving thru town. I drove by a wedding party exiting their limo, and throttled up just a bit as I was driving by to make her growl a bit, and EVERY guy in the party looked like they were expecting a souped up mustang or Camaro even, but then did a very quick double take like they couldn't believe it was from a Lexus. Lol.

thebigjimsho
06-20-12, 08:46 PM

WHO WANTS CAKE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JTFyg2hcU

M5eater
06-20-12, 09:05 PM
actually, up until 98, it was *the* fastest sedan in the world. After 98, the E39 M5 took back the title.

Playdrv4me
06-20-12, 09:09 PM
I think one thing that's being missed here is that there is a large contingent of people who, regardless of whether they can afford the full-bore performance version of a particular vehicle, don't want to deal with the bone-jarring ride, noise, maintenance or other characteristics of some of these top tier models. This is precisely why BMW introduced the ZHP performance package for the E46 330s mid-way through the model run. You got the appearance kit and handling package that made it LOOK and handle more like an M3 (along with a small power boost), without having to go to the insane lengths of the M3.

As far as I'm concerned, and having owned an M3 in the past, the ZHP kit has turned out to be the better overall package regardless of cost. It's far more daily drivable, plenty of fun and easy to maintain. In fact, I'm having an easier time finding M3s than those damn ZHPs.

drewsdeville
06-20-12, 09:25 PM
I think one thing that's being missed here is that there is a large contingent of people who, regardless of whether they can afford the full-bore performance version of a particular vehicle, don't want to deal with the bone-jarring ride, noise, maintenance or other characteristics of some of these top tier models.

No, we aren't missing that. This situation just means that the person really doesn't want either vehicle, as neither of them offers everything they are looking for. Once again, this person has settled for something less than what they want.

If your only option is to buy one of the two incompatible models and FORCE it to be whatever it was you are looking for, you most likely didn't do a very good job shopping (or you really didn't know what you wanted to begin with).

It shouldn't be that hard for everyone to just purchase what they want. Figure out what you want BEFORE you shop, then go out there and find the manufacturer who produces it. Hand over the cash and drive away happy. It's easy, or at least it should be..

talismandave
06-20-12, 11:26 PM
I think one thing that's being missed here is that there is a large contingent of people who, regardless of whether they can afford the full-bore performance version of a particular vehicle, don't want to deal with the bone-jarring ride, noise, maintenance or other characteristics of some of these top tier models.

Exactly! Performance and handling are meaningless to me, ride quality and enough power to merge with freeway traffic is all I require. I do however enjoy my cars appearance and would much rather spend my money on the look than waste it in performance parts that decrease mileage and make ride harsh. I can understand who someone who hold performance as utmost and has spent money on a similar model to that I am replicating would feel I was trying to make people think I had their cars performance and be mad. As long as they understand that I am not going to waste money on a car with stuff on it I don't need or want, we can get along. If not too bad. Complain all you want or get over it. And I do know what car I want, and I bought it and made it what I wanted.
I look at cars, good cars that is, as art. I find inspiration in good design and small auto details. I have considered a number of kit cars over the years for the same reason. The Mera bolt on kit to a Fiero is one example. I could afford a used Ferrari if that were what I wanted to spend my money on. The 308/328 it is a replica of go rather cheap these days. Probably less than a Mera that is well done in good condition. Then I would have sky high parts, repairs, insurance,and a car I would be worried to drive and uncomfortable in. With a Mera I would have a car that is what I want in ride and handling, gives good mileage, is cheap to repair and insure. If I were to buy a real Ferrari, I would be buying a car to please someone else, not me. That would be fake and that would make me a poser.
I refuse to buy or drive something I don't want just so someone else isn't mad about my car looking like his. Why do people find it so hard to believe that power isn't everyone's thing? It would be like me being mad that someone drives a car with more power than it needs. Both are ignorant points of view. Both would also be someone with no bigger problem than to worry about what other people do.
Being mad about some one making a car look like something it isn't is like being mad every time you see a print for a painting. If they like the look of a Warhol should they have to own an original?

the recluse
06-21-12, 12:49 AM
WOW, this thread got way off topic..LOL

At any rate, I think most missed the actual point of badges in the first place as most were looking at it as "car guys", meaning the badge defined the vehicle. That said however, 75% of he public knows the badge but not necessarily what it stands for...like the guy who puts "Spyder" on his hard top or "TRD" on his Honda (yes I've seen this and have pics)...
Lying or not is not really the point, trying to fool people and looking like a fool...THAT is what I find funny as hell...

SS stands for Super Sport. AMG stands for Aufrecht (from Werner Aufrecht) Melcher (from Erhard Melcher) and Grossaspach (the town in which AMG was founded). AMG tunes and modifies cars. An AMG badge without the engine designation only signifies cosmetic modifications. It's not a lie.

</thread>

Stingroo
06-21-12, 02:37 AM
Yup. I have a photo of an //M badge on a Toyota Avalon in Jacksonville.

Made me giggle.

I'd guess 99% of people here don't know what AMG stands for without googling it anyway. It's just a piece of plastic or metal. Laugh, shake your head, and move on.

ShapeShifter
06-21-12, 09:26 AM
If a V reflects your individual preference, style, or taste, buy a V. Someone who wants a V but settles for a regular CTS is lying to themselves and to everyone else when they dress it up to look like a V. It's fraudulent. Most see a definitive line between customizing and cloning/copying another ("better", since the desire to clone says they've settled for less) model.

Moral of the story - people should buy exactly what they want, and enjoy it for what it is rather than dressing it up to be something they wish it was.

Both responses above assume that those who swap the stated parts, did so in a deliberate attempt to pose their vehicles as as actual V’s. An owner’s intent aside, you’re entitled to your opinion as to how you view the customized changes to their vehicles. However, the jury is out as to an owners intent.

Since you said “You and You’re”, I’d like to state that my 06 CTS was born a Sport Model with its own Cadillac unique Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Packages. It has no trace of V parts! Nor do I feel it needs any. I do like V’s, but didn’t feel a need to have a second high performance vehicle in my stable. My Sport Model more than meets my needs for daily driver economy with more than adequate performance for that role. When I feel a “Need For Speed”, I saddle up the SuperCharged F-150 Harley and let’er rip.

You certainly read more into the paragraph than was stated.

I think one thing that's being missed here is that there is a large contingent of people who, regardless of whether they can afford the full-bore performance version of a particular vehicle, don't want to deal with the bone-jarring ride, noise, maintenance or other characteristics of some of these top tier models. This is precisely why BMW introduced the ZHP performance package for the E46 330s mid-way through the model run. You got the appearance kit and handling package that made it LOOK and handle more like an M3 (along with a small power boost), without having to go to the insane lengths of the M3.

As far as I'm concerned, and having owned an M3 in the past, the ZHP kit has turned out to be the better overall package regardless of cost. It's far more daily drivable, plenty of fun and easy to maintain. In fact, I'm having an easier time finding M3s than those damn ZHPs.

Exactly! Performance and handling are meaningless to me, ride quality and enough power to merge with freeway traffic is all I require. I do however enjoy my cars appearance and would much rather spend my money on the look than waste it in performance parts that decrease mileage and make ride harsh. I can understand who someone who hold performance as utmost and has spent money on a similar model to that I am replicating would feel I was trying to make people think I had their cars performance and be mad. As long as they understand that I am not going to waste money on a car with stuff on it I don't need or want, we can get along. If not too bad. Complain all you want or get over it. And I do know what car I want, and I bought it and made it what I wanted.
I look at cars, good cars that is, as art. I find inspiration in good design and small auto details. I have considered a number of kit cars over the years for the same reason. The Mera bolt on kit to a Fiero is one example. I could afford a used Ferrari if that were what I wanted to spend my money on. The 308/328 it is a replica of go rather cheap these days. Probably less than a Mera that is well done in good condition. Then I would have sky high parts, repairs, insurance,and a car I would be worried to drive and uncomfortable in. With a Mera I would have a car that is what I want in ride and handling, gives good mileage, is cheap to repair and insure. If I were to buy a real Ferrari, I would be buying a car to please someone else, not me. That would be fake and that would make me a poser.
I refuse to buy or drive something I don't want just so someone else isn't mad about my car looking like his. Why do people find it so hard to believe that power isn't everyone's thing? It would be like me being mad that someone drives a car with more power than it needs. Both are ignorant points of view. Both would also be someone with no bigger problem than to worry about what other people do.
Being mad about some one making a car look like something it isn't is like being mad every time you see a print for a painting. If they like the look of a Warhol should they have to own an original?
Owning a 03 Harley Anniversary Edition, I constantly see regular F-150’s that have been equipped with F-150 Harley Chrome/Black Grilles, the Harley unique Front Bumper and Chrome Wheels. I’m flattered that they love the look of our vehicles and want to accent theirs with those parts. I find it flat out hilarious that some owners will go one step further and outfit their trucks with the 02 SuperCharged and 03 Anniversary SuperCharged Badges. The badges clearly imply that their vehicles have a 5.4L SuperCharged Engine. Most are clearly embarrassed when their significant other points to my truck and says, “Hey, he’s got a Harley Truck too, but it’s different from yours." lol

Bottom Line: As said, a dead horse is being beaten....Unlike Lazarus, it ain't coming back.:)

truckinman
06-21-12, 09:41 AM
Both responses above assume that those who swap the stated parts, did so in a deliberate attempt to pose their vehicles as as actual V’s. An owner’s intent aside, you’re entitled to your opinion as to how you view the customized changes to their vehicles. However, the jury is out as to an owners intent.

Since you said “You and You’re”, I’d like to state that my 06 CTS was born a Sport Model with its own Cadillac unique Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Packages. It has no trace of V parts! Nor do I feel it needs any. I do like V’s, but didn’t feel a need to have a second high performance vehicle in my stable. My Sport Model more than meets my needs for daily driver economy with more than adequate performance for that role. When I feel a “Need For Speed”, I saddle up the SuperCharged F-150 Harley and let’er rip.

You certainly read more into the paragraph than was stated.

Owning a 03 Harley Anniversary Edition, I constantly see regular F-150’s that have been equipped with F-150 Harley Chrome/Black Grilles, the Harley unique Front Bumper and Chrome Wheels. I’m flattered that they love the look of our vehicles and want to accent theirs with those parts. I find it flat out hilarious that some owners will go one step further and outfit their trucks with the 02 SuperCharged and 03 Anniversary SuperCharged Badges. The badges clearly imply that their vehicles have a 5.4L SuperCharged Engine. Most are clearly embarrassed when their significant other points to my truck and says, “Hey, he’s got a Harley Truck too, but it’s different from yours." lol

Bottom Line: As said, a dead horse is being beaten....Unlike Lazarus, it ain't coming back.:)

When I said "you're", I was meaning that in a very broad sense. I was not referring to you in any way shape or form bc you never said you put V parts on your car. You asked if it is a fake if others do that. But as I said, I was thinking in a much broader aspect. Seems I'm not the only one who reads to much into things. Lol. But obviously we agree on your very last paragraph so that's good I suppose. Lol

ShapeShifter
06-21-12, 09:44 AM
When I said "you're", I was meaning that in a very broad sense. I was not referring to you in any way shape or form bc you never said you put V parts on your car. You asked if it is a fake if others do that. But as I said, I was thinking in a much broader aspect. Seems I'm not the only one who reads to much into things. Lol. But obviously we agree on your very last paragraph so that's good I suppose. Lol
We're GOOD!:thumbsup:

talismandave
06-21-12, 09:59 AM
:horse: I'm trying to restart his heart...I think it's working....