: oil

captain slow
06-16-12, 11:01 AM
What kind of oil do u guys use?

RippyPartsDept
06-16-12, 12:41 PM
the slippery kind that's meant to go in my engine :hide:

don't use aircraft engine oil, motorcycle oil, train engine oil or tractor oil ... use car oil

but seriously, stick to what it says in your owners manual and don't worry about it

you're very close to starting a war :hide:

Airfoto
06-16-12, 03:22 PM
Realize that the engine temp of this motor is higher then most - Mobil 1 - is pure junk, brakes down very quickly (them and Pennzoil have patents that say their synthetic oil is only a 50- 50 blend not pure) and doesn't maintain protection - I'm not sure how effective the Cadillac oil % rate is - I also have this system on my 08 Z06 and always change oil at 3000 to 3500 miles or 50% - it's timing - I use different fuild products - researched them for many months and have used them for many years!

You can use whatever you like it's your car and your $$$

Here's what I have in my 2011 CTS V Wagon and in my 2008 Z06 - Redline 5 - 30w in motor / Royal Purple 75 - 90 in rear end / ATE Blue and ATE 200 Brake fluids ( same fuilds just different color - making it easier when you bleed the system) / Trans fuild is actually the GM auto tranny fuild - seems to be the best for the auto - if you have a stick I use Royal Purple in my Z06.

DangFoo
06-16-12, 07:48 PM
Mobil 1 changed every 5K miles.

RapidRob
06-16-12, 09:48 PM
AMSOIL 5-30 Signiture.

Rob

TriTexan
06-16-12, 11:14 PM
Unless you are tracking the car or something else pretty extreme, the car has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty if you use any oil that meets the owner's manual spec. While many people have their favorites and strong feelings one way or another, the fact is that you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between one oil and another under most circumstances in terms of how the car feels or drives. And the warranty is good regardless of the brand or flavor as long as it meets the designated spec.

Or as Chris noted, use car oil and you'll be good. Don't overthink your oil - there's a lot of other places these cars can use extra attention before you fret over the oil.

baabootoo
06-17-12, 12:10 PM
Walmart Super Tech fully synthetic when the reminder goes off.

curvedinfinity
06-17-12, 10:10 PM
Any dexos 1 oil. Mobile 1 is what I have because it is easy to find. I've heard penzoil platinum is the best walmart oil. An ester based oil like redline or motul should be the best though.

GM-4-LIFE
06-18-12, 01:58 AM
Since Cadillac changes the oil for FREE and I am leasing the car, AC Delco Synthetic Blend 5w30 Dexos 1 motor oil is what the dealer changes it with.

If I planned on keeping the car, I would only run Amsoil 0w30 or 5w30 Signature Series. My second choice would be Mobil 1 5w30.

Satin69
06-18-12, 11:22 AM
Mobil 1 5w30. My shop uses the same. 5k miles is a good number for a synth. but track/spirited use will obviously require more regular attention.

Dogbreath
06-18-12, 11:26 AM
This is usually a religious war. I'm an electrical not a mechanical engineer, so if GM loads the car with Mobil 1 from the factory I figure that they have pretty thoroughly tested it since they warrant the engine for 100k. Who am I to think that I know better? Are there better oils - maybe - in fact probably. But the real question is how good is good enough. My MR-2 and Taco have used Mobil 1 since new. The MR-2 has 182k. The Taco 232k. Neither use oil. Seems like Mobil 1 has provided good enough protection.

GM-4-LIFE
06-19-12, 01:13 AM
Dogbreath,

2011 and up CTS-Vs are no longer factory filled with Mobil 1. They come from the factory with AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 approved 5w30 motor oil.

2009 and 2010 CTS-Vs did come factory filled with Mobil 1 5w30.

Havasusteve
06-19-12, 01:24 AM
Motul 5-30 during the winter; 5-40 during spring-summer fall FTW (Its free :) )

Gonna change the rear diff to Royal Purple to see if it helps the Diff overheat issue

lowerd96
06-19-12, 02:48 AM
Our V has the Dexos cap on the valve cover but they have filled it with Mobil 1 syn. so far on all 3 services...suits me just fine.

neuronbob
06-19-12, 06:00 AM
I do what the owner's manual says because I don't track my car. The only deviation is that I change the oil when the DIC indicates 20%. That works out to 6000-7000 miles.

hcvone
06-19-12, 06:46 AM
Amsoil 0-30 Sig :)

M5eater
06-20-12, 06:36 PM
Walmart Super Tech fully synthetic when the reminder goes off.

I'm calling bullshit
:P

I use Mobil 1 extended performance, mostly because it's licensed and partially because it's available everywhere

C66 Racing
06-30-12, 12:51 PM
Not jumping into the oil debate, but for those interested in trying the AMSOIL mentioned above, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm). Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:

FYI, here are AMSOIL's 30 grade top tier oils:
AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 0w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/AZOPB.htm) (Product Code AZOQT)
AMSOIL Signature Series 100% Synthetic 5w30 (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ASLPB.htm) (Product Code ASLQT)

Mike02z
06-30-12, 09:47 PM
When I first bought my 2002 Z28 LS1, I was using the recommended oil and the first oil test came back saying the oil tested thin (they noted excess wear in many areas) and I should consider switching to a heavier weight oil. I was using 5W-30, as recommended. I started reading and switched to German Castrol Syntec 0W-30. I have used it in all 3 LSx cars I have owned. I do regular oil tests, and I have always gotten outstanding results with this oil. If you really want to learn about oil head over to bobistheoilguy.com. That being said, I think any good synthetic is probably fine as long as you change it regularly. I believe the whole dexos thing is marketing BS but that is for another thread....:)

M5eater
06-30-12, 10:07 PM
When I first bought my 2002 Z28 LS1, I was using the recommended oil and the first oil test came back saying the oil tested thin (they noted excess wear in many areas) and I should consider switching to a heavier weight oil. I was using 5W-30, as recommended. I started reading and switched to German Castrol Syntec 0W-30. I have used it in all 3 LSx cars I have owned. I do regular oil tests, and I have always gotten outstanding results with this oil. If you really want to learn about oil head over to bobistheoilguy.com. That being said, I think any good synthetic is probably fine as long as you change it regularly. I believe the whole dexos thing is marketing BS but that is for another thread....:)
Good choice! I always see people praise GC on BITOG for LS motors with oil-consumption problems.
As soon as I have 15-20K( just enough to make sure nothing will go bad) on the odo I'll be switching to GC30W or M1 0W40.

I've always liked the M1 stuff, it's thin for a 40 W (where GC is thick for a 30W) , and Napa has started to sell it in the 5 quart jugs recently *drool*
Plus I could buy it in bulk and use it for the A6 too.
I have to drive into P-town to get the GC @ pepboys (if they even still carry it)