: MAF sensor bad?

06BlackV
06-16-12, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, i noticed recently that my performance is not where it used to be when i first bought it. I changed plugs and wires ..nothing. So today i turned the car on and decided to check to see if my mass air flow sensor is working so i unplugged while it was idling and nothing happened to idle or did not try to stall. Is this an indication of a faulty maf sensor? Thanks for any help.

06BlackV
06-16-12, 09:41 AM
Also no engine light appeared on dash.

darkman
06-16-12, 10:28 AM
MAF-related diagnostic trouble codes may not set instantly with the MAF unplugged, but will eventually set if driven long enough. A failed MAF usually causes some driving issue and one way to test the MAF is to see if the driving issue changes in anyway with the MAF unplugged.

The attached info contains a way to test the MAF with a digital multi-meter.

If you believe it is bad, e.g. unplugging it has no effect at all or it fails the test, you might trying cleaning the sensing wires with some CRC MAF cleaner.

06BlackV
06-16-12, 10:36 AM
MAF-related diagnostic trouble codes may not set instantly with the MAF unplugged, but will eventually set if driven long enough. A failed MAF usually causes some driving issue and one way to test the MAF is to see if the driving issue changes in anyway with the MAF unplugged.

The attached info contains a way to test the MAF with a digital multi-meter.

If you believe it is bad, e.g. unplugging it has no effect at all or it fails the test, you might trying cleaning the sensing wires with some CRC MAF cleaner.

Ok i will try that first, i really dont want to jump and buy one without first cleaning it because its a pricey part :/ Darkman, do u believe that my performance would be affected with a faulty maf sensor? And do u believe the idle shoul change if i unplug an otherwise good sensor?

darkman
06-16-12, 11:01 AM
The idle will not necessarily change with an unplugged MAF, and many report very little change in performance with the MAF unplugged temporarily. Nonetheless, an unplugged or faulty MAF will eventually affect performance and will eventually throw a code.

I am not a tuner, but I have read, for example, that unplugging the MAF will instantly throw the tuning onto the low octane tables, which would decrease performance (pull timing) but not really cause any drivability issues.