: Whinning coming from the left rear

SRTTOCTSV
06-15-12, 10:09 PM
I just noticed that if I were to hit between 65-70 I hear a high pitched whine from the left rear(drivers side). If I apply gas and take it off during that MPH it has no affect on the whinning. its still there no matter what you do. when I decelerate I notice a not so smooth sound. I dont know how else to describe it. So my question is has anyone else had this issue and what was the fix. at the moment Im thinking bearings but cant tell which one. If anyone could help out that would be great.
Thanks

darkman
06-15-12, 11:04 PM
Your description about the orientation of the sound to one side does sound like a wheel bearing. Otherwise, noise on decel in the center of the car is the signature of a drive shaft related issue.

SRTTOCTSV
06-15-12, 11:20 PM
Thanks Darkman for the fast response. I cant tell if the decel noise is from the center but I can tell that the noise on the left could possible be the wheel hub bearing taking a crap on me. Is there anything I can do to test this idea to make sure it is the wheel bearing or somthing else.

darkman
06-16-12, 09:58 AM
You can put the car on a lift and operate the car at various speeds. Don't forget to turn off the traction control - it likes the front wheel speed to resemble the rear wheel speed. (This can theoretically be done on jack stands - but I personally consider that too risky.) Some shops, and certainly a GM Dealer, have sonic vibration detection gear to isolate the source of sounds while testing on the rack.

SRTTOCTSV
06-16-12, 09:44 PM
okay I did a little more listening on the way home last night and noticed when I changed lanes quickly or took a sweeping corner to the right the sound would disappear but once I straighten out again the sound was back. So I was thinking wheel bearing but a guy at work mentioned something about the CV joint. Could this be or would it be more likely the wheel hub?

darkman
06-16-12, 09:55 PM
Each axle does have two constant velocity joints that are covered by rubber boots. These can fail. The most common issue is the boots getting torn and allowing the grease to escape, which can lead to failure due to the lack of lubrication.

SRTTOCTSV
06-16-12, 10:51 PM
so if one of those were to go bad what might be some symptoms? would the sounds I just described earlier be the same as one of the cv joints failing or on it last leg?

darkman
06-17-12, 01:10 PM
i am not sure - I have not had one fail nor heard the sound. A failing bearing usually makes a very distinct sound that I recognize but can not really describe. i am relatively certain that if you had the car on a lift with the rear wheels turning you could easily distinguish between a wheel bearing and an axle joint as the source.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-19-12, 01:06 PM
Any updates since Sunday, SRTTOCTSV? As darkmen already mentioned, a trip to your Cadillac dealer may be in order so that the proper diagnostic tests can be run. I can completely understand if you'd rather try the DIY approach first, however!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

PISNUOFF
06-19-12, 03:11 PM
If it goes away on right hand turns, it's most likely the right wheel bearing/hub assembly. A worn out CV would change tone or go away with the application/removal of torque not weight transfer. I would also hit the brakes and see if it goes away when the weight transfers to the front of the vehicle, this may not be as pronounced as the side to side weight transfer. You generally will not be able to diagnose a bad wheel bearing while the wheel is in the air.

Also, a worn CV will rotate without the stub shaft rotating with it. You can check this by rotating the axle shaft by hand and seeing how much play is in the joint. There will be some, I wouldn't consider it excessive until you can rotate it 30 degrees without the stub shaft moving.

mlimanti
09-01-12, 10:25 AM
I am having similar issues. Sound coming from the rear sounds much like a very bad tire. The sound is there at all speeds and the volume increases with speed. None of the CV's look torn, so I am assuming it is a wheel bearing.

How involved is replacement of rear wheel bearings on a V?

thebigjimsho
09-03-12, 12:19 PM
There is only one n in the middle of whining...

pato
09-03-12, 01:59 PM
I have some whining too, but mine comes from the passenger seat.:hmm:
Sometimes at the most inopportune moments.
It's not there when I'm driving alone, so I think I may need to replace the passenger.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-04-12, 01:47 PM
I have some whining too, but mine comes from the passenger seat.:hmm:
Sometimes at the most inopportune moments.
It's not there when I'm driving alone, so I think I may need to replace the passenger.

pato,

Maybe it was the long weekend. Maybe it's being too accustomed to reading so many different threads over the course of a day and jumping right in to see what we can do. I was opening manuals and trying to see if there was any information I could provide and was really perplexed by this particular problem...until I realized that you didn't actually have a problem with the vehicle...

Thanks for the laugh! :)
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service